• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #11 - Battlefields

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
@ darkzxx: Please use hidden tags, your image is stretching the side.

@ Tamerleine: About the map issue, please read the first post.

@ EVERYONE: !!! I must repeat myself!!!!!!!! Please read the first post carefully to minimize unnecessary questions that have been answered already.
Also please refrain from useless posting or one line posts that do not contain anything important for this contest. Otherwise every one that is interested has to zoom through a bunch of pages without anything really going on.

Apart from that, everyone keep up the good terraining!

Landscape done 3/5.
landscape.png

EDIT: Wtf happened to the quality of that pictures ?!

EDIT2: I'm cant do any progress on the terrain for 2... days? Because I'm going to my father with my dog.

Level 14
Made the Lava Stream! ^^
Feedback needed :p
The lava looks too static for some reason. I think it's mostly just the two streams coming from his forearm that look completely straight and unrealistically symmetrical. You could also try to make some more advanced light sourcing for the lava both on and off the construct.
They also come from the air above his arm, rather than the arm itself. Keep working on it, it's looking really good.

Level 7
@ Oziris

I think that couple of those lava streams looks like they are infront of the arm and are going up from the arm exact same point where lava flows down and it makes it look weard. Maybe move those little bit more in to the arm and lover some of those.

Level 14
Here is another slight update, as with the previous one: far from done.

I absolutely love the perspective, it's very down to earth and realistic. However, I think you could either move the zeppelin out behind the tree or move the tree farther to the left. Maybe you could also add some explosions behind the undead lines, or in the open space to the left have some sort of ruined war-torn area.
I love this terrain already, and I'd love it even more if I knew how you did that poison on the ground.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
There's improvement Midnighters, I'll give you as much. I'm still not entirely sure you're going about this the right way. You're aware this isn't meant to be a playable terrain, right?
I suggest you start showing screens from an angle which your final submission will be viewed from.

Level 14
Ouch, can you tell me why do you hate it? :p and define why is it aesthetically flawed? Telling it only to me isn't really nice if you don't give a reason. >.>
This is why -->
Your terrain is getting too messy in the background imho. I can barely recognize the golems anymore.
Don't get me wrong, your terrain is amazing, but it's just getting messy. The lighting is also very inconsistent and thus makes it seem even more cluttered and messy then it already is. Not the best of combinations.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Here's my first WIP. I'll leave it open as to what the battleground participants will be, for now at least.
It screams of Azurot, that's for sure. I generally dislike some models you've chosen to work with however, example being the ferns and the weapon racks.
Other than above mentioned, it has a very nice feel to it.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Funny little remark here, I don't really get what the derailed train does for a motion in your picture Oziris. He's on a straightforward railway which suddenly stops, and so the train takes off the right in a flying motion.
Not that it looks bad or anything, it's just as stated: A funny little remark.

Level 17
Alrighty guys, I got my 2nd WiP to show. Please do read the notes before commenting.

2u8v75t.jpg

I decided it was needed to change the terrain tile-set because Northrend doesn't really have that much to offer for a weak terrainer, thus altering my choice.
This is only a rough image of what you'll be seeing but I promised I would clean some stuff up and I did.
I will definitely be adding more to the environment and changing the camera angle to benefit my capabilities in the contest.
Thank you for reading.

Level 23
Maximum Pitch Value in object editor rotates doodads, also the option next to it around a different axis.
enter negative values by pressing shift while doubleclicking.

Stretch: Change maximum scale of the doodad in object editor. Now click the doodad you want to stretch after placing it two times. A menu should pop up with scalation values for x,y,z changing this values allows you to stretch doodads!

the first thing btw is an idea, that would have improved your entry for the last contest a lot, as I pointed out in my review ;)

Level 31
Yeah, I see :)
I'm not sure if I need this this time, but thanks for the info :)
I'm working on my terrain and it already looks awesome in my opinion.
Posting WIP soon.

Okay here are some ingame screenies, but I think I will prefer screenshot of world editor.
I will add more units, especially oponents of the T51b Power Armor units.
I'm not sure if I should add somewhere in the middle a little nuclear explosion.
And I still don't get how I should play aniations if I take screenshots inside World editor.

Or what about the power armor units fight against a big robot?
Or something like a super mutant?

Attachments

• Fallout_TC11_WIP01.jpg
    Fallout_TC11_WIP01.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 139
  • Fallout_TC11_WIP02.jpg
    Fallout_TC11_WIP02.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.