• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #11 - Battlefields

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
- The angle reveals that the weather effects are created at a certain height and makes it look very unrealistic.
- The city looks great so far, but I think it would look alot better if you added more buildings (like 3 times as many as you do now) and also make some very large ones way in the background to give off the idea that this truly is a big city. Right now everythings in the foreground and it looks small.
- Add more detail to the city walls (ivy and vines from the UTM would look good)
- Work on the sky, definitely add some sort of sun.
- Fill the hill on the left alot better. Add more trees and maybe some rock faces and such.
Thank for the feedback. Tho all that you said is true the city, hills and rest are far from finished.

Update, added the Lava role on the right side!
Raven0, I fixed up the hole a little, added raises of light on the left side, that's why I was keeping some space between the trees.
Any suggestions on improving the lava? expect adding dead trees which I will for the next update.

Attachments

• TC11.JPG
    TC11.JPG
    181.3 KB · Views: 185
Level 11
attachment.php

remaded.i spent about 5mins in the fog and i am really trying to adjust it,making it realistic afternoon
after the entrance to the naga,you might think it's plain,don't worry,i have plans.

Attachments

• Nagas got found Wip 1 Remade.JPG
    Nagas got found Wip 1 Remade.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 224
Level 11
i do not know,i am trying to find fighter planes :C
slowest progress?
mine was made in about 1 hour time
you call yours slow ? i bet mine is slower and it looks too plain,no mushroom,no mini doodads,i know mine doesn't too,i will add some later

Level 7
slowest progress?
you call yours slow ? i bet mine is slower and it looks too plain,no mushroom,no mini doodads,i know mine doesn't too,i will add some later

look at mine,all it has are trees and units fighting....and no other doodad..
though I may add some tomorrow

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
fladdermasken, yeah sure it looks wrong, but it would be actually better if you told me how to improve it.
Yeah of course, sorry about that. Mostly, what I dislike is how the fog and the lava glow doesn't blend. For lava to look good it would have to be in a dark underground scenario, in my oppinion that is. Also, it doesn't look liquid enough for me. Appears to be more like smoldering rocks. Sadly, I don't know how you could deal with this.
But really, don't let harsh criticism let you down. The reason for harsh criticism is that you've set the bar high for yourself earlier on :)

Level 17
I DECIDED TO REGAIN MY CONFIDENCE AND GIVE THIS THING A GO! :goblin_yeah:

It's very rough though, but you get the basic idea of how I am doing this.
The terrain is very flat as you can probably tell but I will adjust it as I get closer to topping this up.
I will add more doodads and enviromental effects as I go. Don't worry ;]

WiP 1
4hb2ic.jpg

I just thought it would be better to post this now even though it is very rough, to outline that I am still in this competition.

Level 17
Fair enough, I'll try make it "less playable" but I wanted to keep the realism. I could do without the massive amounts of units and the undead buildings, then it would seem a bit better.

Thanks for the criticism =D!

Level 31
Looks like we have a big difference between awesome incredible terrains and some basic crap (not insulting anyone).

I will start to work on my Fallout terrain in my Christmas holidays, but for now I have to care about my fucking school exams -.-

I saw many great entries, but also not so good ^^

I'm very excited about Oziris terrain, it's so incredible gigantic, but I'm not exactly sure if it fits really the theme.
There are two gigants fighting, not armies in my opinion.
But the effects of destruction and of course the use of chilla's observatory catched my interest :D
Never saw such a gigantic terrain.

@Fladdermasken:

Do you use my rusty crane model??

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Fair enough, I'll try make it "less playable" but I wanted to keep the realism. I could do without the massive amounts of units and the undead buildings, then it would seem a bit better.

Thanks for the criticism =D!
You could easily keep it realistic without making it playable. What they meant is probably that you should try some crazier ideas, seeming as you are not limited by the game view.
Such elements as skies, lighting and effects can be used 100% more effective.
@Fladdermasken:

Do you use my rusty crane model??
Yesh I do :D

update:
WIP now 15% from completion.
I think I have the slowest progress here...
-I replaced all of Blizz trees with none blizz trees and added units on the river...
(pretty messy I think)

slowest progress?

Look at me, I haven't even posted my WiP yet.

Level 11
damn...so i guess i have to make a custom ship using UTM,since i imported what i thought was a battleship but you thought it was a medieval ship and naga ruins ?
because that's the entrance to the naga base and i am trying (not really) to make it realistic,that's wip one,next wip there will be water reflections

Level 17
You could easily keep it realistic without making it playable. What they meant is probably that you should try some crazier ideas, seeming as you are not limited by the game view.
Such elements as skies, lighting and effects can be used 100% more effective.

Ah okay. It's the first WiP - all I'm giving is a rough idea of how my terrain is going to act. Don't worry in the next WiP i'll make it a lot more nicer on the eyes.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
so this terrain contest is mainly about making a non playable terrain
It's mainly about making your picture look as good as it possibly could, by whatever means you deem necessary. Your terrain only have to look appealing from one specific angle, rather than the entire map being a masterpiece. There are no limitations however, you are free to go about this any way you seem fit :)

Level 15
There's just so many things going on in your picture but it all works together.

The tree collusus seems to symbolize his half of the region. The rock collussus not as much. Maybe add lava streams falling off his body? Right now it's tree and tree vs. rock and lava. Don't get me wrong, it looks excellent right now, but it IS a little uneven.

BTW I love the lightning effects in the background, so subtle and yet so powerful in conveying the chaotic theme of the picture.

Level 11
oziris, where did you get that sun ?
does this look better? it doesn't look like a battleship to me
attachment.php

Attachments

• Nagas got found Wip 1.1 Remade.JPG
    Nagas got found Wip 1.1 Remade.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.