• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #14 - Racial Settlements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
seeing all these great terrains inspired me to make 1 to. I decided to make the home of the rock golems, ruins of a castle in a big cave. but as you can all see on the picture: i'm having troubles with the light, anyone knows how to fiz it so you can see the whole cave?

Attachments

• golem city screenshot.jpg
    golem city screenshot.jpg
    522.8 KB · Views: 260
Level 19
seeing all these great terrains inspired me to make 1 to. I decided to make the home of the rock golems, ruins of a castle in a big cave. but as you can all see on the picture: i'm having troubles with the light, anyone knows how to fiz it so you can see the whole cave?

What you need is the right "fog". Right now you use the basic black one - Check this tutorial (By my good friend) and scroll down to section 2A, then you'll find out how to change it. Good luck and I like the Golem-terrain idea :)

Level 3
thnx for the help but it isn't the fog, i checked. thnx for liking my idea :D
btw: how to quote texts? i'm new:goblin_cry:

Edit: here's an update on my map, kinda takes shape now :D

Attachments

• golem city screenshot 2.jpg
    golem city screenshot 2.jpg
    503.7 KB · Views: 191
Last edited by a moderator:
Level 22
Make them doodads is the best answer I can offer :)

Doodads don't even have anims.

First wip... Super early one for that matter, started 45 minutes ago.

first wip.png

Non-nomadic tribe of Tuskarrs who use the natural mountains to block out the weather... I need some stuff with mammoth tusks to make their architecture more believable. Also, those sails attached to poles are windtraps to block the harsh down-wind from the mountain. I'll also add support beams to the top and bottom of the cliff base for preventing avalanches... Down below with be the mainstay of the civilization with a few areas for holding mammoths that have been captured alive.

I need to add support beams, trees and a skybox. If anyone knows where I can get some mammoth tusk doodads lemme know, k? xD

Level 22
Any way to make a unit appear dead in editor? I know you can do it in-game, but I'm not going through that trouble.

Make it a unit with 0 movespeed and no attacks, fill in the fields:

Abilities - Locust, Invulnerability (Neutral)
Required Animation Names - Death

Also, I'm considering joining. Haven't opened WE in like 4 years, but who's counting. :p

Level 21
thnx for the help but it isn't the fog, i checked. thnx for liking my idea :D
btw: how to quote texts? i'm new:goblin_cry:

Edit: here's an update on my map, kinda takes shape now :D

hold down ctrl and then roll the mousewheel down to extend the far z of the camera. apart from that, make the fog far z higher to stop it from shading them over, but I think you know that part. just place a cave dome if you want that or whateverzs

oh
apart from the elves/murlocs/dwarves (i hope they're dwarves in those mountains, looks badass) i still have yet to see obvious racial settlements. I'm not quite sure how yours can be a settlement at all, Oziris, but i guess you still have some space and all that. i would appreciate obvious races etc

Level 3
hold down ctrl and then roll the mousewheel down to extend the far z of the camera. apart from that, make the fog far z higher to stop it from shading them over, but I think you know that part. just place a cave dome if you want that or whateverzs
thnx for the help, it was the far Z that did it. well this is the end result, can't come up with anything to add. :goblin_good_job:

Attachments

• golem city finished.jpg
    golem city finished.jpg
    644.2 KB · Views: 976
  • golem city in-game screenshot.jpg
    golem city in-game screenshot.jpg
    800.2 KB · Views: 513
I'm not quite sure how yours can be a settlement at all, Oziris, but i guess you still have some space and all that. i would appreciate obvious races etc

Deepholm is a settlement of the Elemental race, mostly earth elemental mobs. Look it up in WoWiki.

Edit:
alexandero6, you should zoom with your camera, why would you want to show us those ugly textures? And you don't need an in game picture, only from the editor.

Another small update from me. :p

Attachments

• Deepholm a.jpg
    Deepholm a.jpg
    437.3 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
Level 3
alexandero6, you should zoom with your camera, why would you want to show us those ugly textures? And you don't need an in game picture, only from the editor.
hhhmm i'll look what i can do with the camera, but the begin idea was that you looked over the shoulder of medivh who's coming out of a tunnel and sees the home of the rock golems. anyway, this is the second terrain i've ever made. still got a lot to learn:goblin_boom:
btw: VERY nice deepholm terrain there, it's really awesome :goblin_good_job:

Level 22
I need trees... What trees should I use, all of the winter ones blow... And how the fuck do you guys get these crazy ass fog effects, skies, and lens flares, I mean look at OG's... Somebody help me out here.... I'm used to doing playables lol.

Level 3
@alexandero6
Last time I remember people don't live in large dark caves with rock golems. Minimal light and water would suck. And how would they go outside while there is death 24/7 in the city of humans and golems. >_>
the humans USED to live there, because it was a solid defence castle with only one side to defend. it was mainly used as an safe place for all the wars above. the water's from an underground well. but when the wars were over they didn't need to hide anymore and left the place. the rockgolems then appeared and took over the city. I just made the place cause i thought it would be cool :goblin_good_job:

Level 13
I do not know if like these windows or if I should change em.

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_031312_140302_01.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_031312_140302_01.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 236
Level 19
This is pretty much done. Suggestions and criticism are very welcome. Please, tell me how to make it better. :D

Looks good, but you should definitely add more small roads to a lot of small houses above the trees, and well, adding more world trees with houses around them would look better I guess. And use differently colored tree-models as your alternate "floor" would be better, perhaps let some vines hang down from the tree crowns. Then you should change the fog to a dark purple one, to match the Night Elf theme - but this is just my opinion :)

Level 14
This is what i got so far,and still there is lot of work to be done.
Please tell me your opinion about the stones - i still cant find the Felsen model :S

I will do more structures, but its kinda hard work, and takes much time for me
Any suggession how to resize a group of doodads? (I want that tower in a smaller version in the background)

Attachments

• WIP2.JPG
    WIP2.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 188
Level 2
This is pretty much done. Suggestions and criticism are very welcome. Please, tell me how to make it better. :D

Add more whisps in the trees :D like the glowing effect in the hand of cenarius, the magic spirits may have a nice effect ;) very good job!

Another WIP from me... I thought, if I'm making NIGHT elves, why don't I make NIGHT? So I made night :D Added moon, fog that should look like moonlight, changed time of day... I also changed the color of the trees to purple, to match NE theme, and made more houses above the tree floor. Also removed the world trees, because they would block the sight to the moon, and the glows because they just look bad.

Attachments

• TC14RS - ElvesNew.JPG
    TC14RS - ElvesNew.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 238
Level 22
Another WIP from me... I thought, if I'm making NIGHT elves, why don't I make NIGHT? So I made night :D Added moon, fog that should look like moonlight, changed time of day... I also changed the color of the trees to purple, to match NE theme, and made more houses above the tree floor. Also removed the world trees, because they would block the sight to the moon, and the glows because they just look bad.

Much smaller moon, it should be positioned near the corner of your screen and have a glow effect around it so it looks more realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.