• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #12 - Horror/Nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
Personally, I would like to see a more horror end to your terrain, as right now I just dont even slightly get the chill's from viewing the terrain. To me it's just another dark corridor in some slightly scary game or something. I'm not entirely sure how you're going to pull that off, might have a silhouette of something dreafully looking in the distance, in the shadows. Or some kind of monster thing dangling from the ceiling, or even, climbing in it, towards the camera. Be creative! :p

Last edited:
Level 11
well...there already is a silhouette in the shadows...if you look hard enough u can see it,

but yea i agree with you,i lost the horror edge along the way,i find it very hard to make a picture to be frightening or even remotely scary,because after all its a static picture,the thing that,at least in my perception,makes a place scary is its ambient sounds and movement(and probably some creepy music)

im sorta out of ideas...but i think ill try to make i little more prominent and scarier silhouette(darn hard word to write)
aren't you going to update you're terrain?

Level 36
well...there already is a silhouette in the shadows...if you look hard enough u can see it,

but yea i agree with you,i lost the horror edge along the way,i find it very hard to make a picture to be frightening or even remotely scary,because after all its a static picture,the thing that,at least in my perception,makes a place scary is its ambient sounds and movement(and probably some creepy music)

im sorta out of ideas...but i think ill try to make i little more prominent and scarier silhouette(darn hard word to write)
aren't you going to update you're terrain?

I'd have to say that I agree, and that's partly the reason why I was against this theme in the first place, but anyways, guess it just makes it more challenging, or something...

And well, you'll get to see an update, yes. (eventually..)

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Level 18
Level 36
Anyways!

To get back on topic, here's my... Well, it's yet again an entirely new idea, so I guess it would be my third point three or something WIP... >.>

This time, however, I am settled with the idea and will consider this my final idea for the contest, not final entry, though.

Anyways, that skull is a custom model General Frank made for me swiftly, using 67chrome's skin, I'll upload the model with this post for the sake of fairness.

Comments and constructive critique is most welcome.

Attachments

• Skull.jpg
    Skull.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 184
  • SkeletonHead.mdx
    5.6 KB · Views: 51
Level 3
Ok i have a strange idea...so i'm leaving the undead invasion stuff for something else...(I know it looks failish but this is just the first wip :vw_death:)

Attachments

• WIP.jpg
    WIP.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 177
Terraining Contest #12 Entry

Spirit of the Darkness

Created by -Kobas-
Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 11:12

Funny numbers and notices:
1 Imported model (Glow)
5733 Doodads used
Totally new technique (At least for me)
Unplayable

This is my final entry, WIP was shown here:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1874172-post192.html

Attachments

• TC.png
    TC.png
    519.2 KB · Views: 934
Level 11
i think this could be my final entry...if nothing comes up
View attachment 100480
suggestions anyone?
That looks amazing,and is it just me or...that pillar look flat?you doesn't recolor the pillar with the photoshop,aren't you?
@boombladoom: it looks like a crop circle...
@-kobas-: omg! D: the terrain look so nice,I love it!
dead end almost come,but I can't do any terraining :( I CAN'T WAIT FOR FRIDAY...wait...friday are going to be a nightmare for me D: hope I can do terraining at thursday

Level 7
So this may be my final picture, if i dont have an idea explosion or i wont get ideas and comments.
So i shall add models link also:
Original thread

But since the Download link wont work then a in somewhere last posts there was a pastebin link on hive what i used to dl models.

Pastebin link

So here it is:
"Locked in Mirror"

Storyline: An old mage got possesed by and demonic spirit who used hes body and played tricks on his mind, which caused him going thrue a mirror from what he cant get out anymore.

Modern horror final.jpg

Comments, ideas and critisisms are welcome.

Level 11
i think you should add something in the gap between the 2 rooms to make it look more like a mirror

Calm down, friends.

The scary(er) part will come. ;)
ain't doubting it but...flowers?i mean...aren't those flowers near the skull?
the terrain looks amazing,but its more like a place where something like a titan fell and now the land is healing
really looking forward on how this comes up,hope you don't change the terrain again:D

@kobas:it..looks..awesome!
the only thing i could say is that those skulls and pile of corpse look kinda random,try making a bit of order in there,maybe arrange them in streams of sorts..

@Error_trigger:no...its all done in the editor,i just tinted it a little darker

Level 16
Last edited:
Level 27
Yes, not scary, but you actually can't make something real scary with single screenshot of Warcraft 3, while this one has a strange and mysterious atmosphere, and it looks damn awesome... so this one is definetly suiting the atmosphere...
And currently it's one of my favourites...

Level 3
One more WIP...but i have a problem...i don't know if my picture really fits with the theme...what do you guys think?

Attachments

• Me don't haz cowz n00b!.jpg
    Me don't haz cowz n00b!.jpg
    991.5 KB · Views: 169
Level 11
lots of good entries lately

i think this is my final..cuz im leaving for the weekend...so here it is
All Gone3.png
really would like to hear some suggestions.opinions

Last edited:
Level 2
First contest for me at the hive! Creativity isn't my strong point, so hopefully my work will turn out to be decent.

Edit:
2nd WIP. I'm quite happy with how it's turning out so far. Eventually I might make use of unit animations, since right now all the villagers are standing and the ghouls should be doing their cannibalize thing.

Edit2:
3rd WIP (and likely the final, I'm running out of time). Still trying to stay away from tempting models around the hive. Also tried to make the city walls a little more dangerous looking.
[/URL]

Edit3:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.