• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terrain Contest #9: Poll + Results

And the winner is...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
The Theme is Cataclysm.

This is the poll for TC9, it contains the entries and the options to vote for. The contest shall be decided by 60% Judges and 40% Poll. judges are NOT allowed to vote in the poll.

The Judgements will be posted AFTER the poll is over.

The entries:

#1: thisruoy
#2: lillu70
#3: Belgarath
#4: M0rbid
#5: -Kobas-
#6: CoBrA b
#7: thedeathunterxx
#8: Plurkie Before After
#9: Oziris Before After
#10: Racziel
#11: Piwlady
#12: i_brg_doom
#13: Potluck
#14: Megafyr
#15: Chaos.

On a personal note I am very disappointed at the lack of originality in this contest, but am pleased with the outcome of most terrains.

The poll will last 14 days.

Last edited:
Level 23
I voted for Chaos, because I liked how his terrain sticked out of the lave thingys like mine ;)

THe only defence that I can give against lack of creativtiy of my terrain is, that i was one of the first to came up with it, but meh .... still not creative.

I also liked Megafyr's terrain a lot, but Chaos just had this touched that I loved most

Level 17
The three best entries for me are from Megafyr, Piwlady and M0rbid. I decide to vote for Megafyr since his entry has a certain style I like.
so...*voting for Megafyr*
Piwlady and M0rbid would've gotten my votes as well if this was multiple choice ... but w/e.

I voted for M0rbid.
Most of you voted for Megafyr (who also has an awesom terrain), but his second
terrain doesn't give me the feeling of after cataclysm.
M0rbid's terrain (first one), has a nice atmosphere of a small elven/fairy village, and
the after cataclysm gives the destroyed feeling, that there really happened something.
Also that he had chosen the same place (same camera view) just other terrain, increases
the cataclysm effect.

Level 17
I voted for M0rbid.
Most of you voted for Megafyr (who also has an awesom terrain), but his second
terrain doesn't give me the feeling of after cataclysm.

M0rbid's terrain (first one), has a nice atmosphere of a small elven/fairy village, and
the after cataclysm gives the destroyed feeling, that there really happened something.
Also that he had chosen the same place (same camera view) just other terrain, increases
the cataclysm effect.

Oh noez, let's hope this drama doesn't continue here. :eek:

Level 17
did I miss something? :3

Well, there was a big discussion about megafyr's after-cataclysm-entry ... certain people said that it wasn't a "destroyed version" of the pre-cataclysm-entry and thus it would be an invalid entry. Megafyr actually changed only the camera angle and made the cataclysm in the tower you can see in the pre-cataclysm-entry ... I suggest you read it the submission thread yourself :p

voted for chaos's, i like that both terrains are the morbid shit, however they show a real cataclysm.
megafyr's terrains look great, yes, but, i can't in any way possible, think of those two terrains being related in ANY way whatsoever, nor can i see how it got through, to me the rules seemed pretty clear on having a terrain and then how THAT terrain looks after the cataclysm.
not trying to stir the shit soup just restating a point

Level 19
voted for chaos's, i like that both terrains are the morbid shit, however they show a real cataclysm.
megafyr's terrains look great, yes, but, i can't in any way possible, think of those two terrains being related in ANY way whatsoever, nor can i see how it got through, to me the rules seemed pretty clear on having a terrain and then how THAT terrain looks after the cataclysm.
not trying to stir the shit soup just restating a point

Stop whining, really... Unless you have noticed, cataclysm means fundamental change. I have kept the angle of the screenshot, you can see the tower has been elevated into the air. The ground itself is erupted, and the once lake has been spread all over the place. The pier has thus been been totally messed up. The only survivors are the birds, who where able to escape with their wings. FWI, this is the same terrain, only changed, and that was the theme. I don't think I have to say more.

Anyway, my vote goes to thedeathhunterxx because I LOVE the way his pre cataclysm terrain looks. Really good job on that one. Sorry to say that I don't like the after one though, but whatever. I love the first one so much I don't care.

My vote would have gone to Chaos if it had more lightning eyecandy. I like the construction in the second after cataclysm, but the fog/feeling is kind of dark and boring.

Good luck to all contestants!

Level 17
Well at school i have had alot of work and i got lazy and i was doing some music instead. So i have 2 unfinished terrains. I shall finish it eventhough this terrain constest is up and im too late. But i will still post them to all who wish to use them.
Left to complete. Rest of town+Castle and castle entrance and interior.
Left to complete in catylistic event_ Complete utter tree take over, few demonic beings complete utter restyling_Added areas which have terraformed, creatures , leaders , necropolis infested castle, mad expermient lab rooms, zombie cascades, etc etc.
So i may be a week or more cause i never get round tothings.
So just saying gonna opt out but still post if u dont mind. Cause i still wanna know what u think as its my first terrain and i suck at terraining.

MERGE-EDIT: oh fuk this is the poll sorry for double post and single post also im voting for ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 18
the terrains that i really liked were : Megafyrs and Chaos's. Both show great catacylsm with great originality, good execution and great effects and style.

I would have voted for Megafyr, but i voted for chaos =p at least give megafyr a little competition ay ? cause clearly hes gonna be 1st place ;P

Level 13
I voted for megafyr because his was the nicest to me though his cata pic wasn't that awesome because it was hard to tell it was the same area. On anther note I would have voted for cobra if his pre cata pic was as great as his cata pic.

Level 18
That only shows that the public poll is corrupted.

I voted for Chaos., since he is the best of the (roughly) 5 submissions that didn't do anything with fire. If Megafyr would've made 2 terrains that actually showed they were the same, instead of just saying they were, I would've voted for him. But since his terrains have nothing in common he lost a vote.

Level 1
#3 ; #5 ; #9 ; #11 are exceptional works! But -Megafyr- must have been born in a surreal translucent paradise seen only with the mind's eye, for I have never seen such dreamy terrain in all of the Hive's history o.o ... He's got my vote...twice if possible... Now where's that +Rep button?!

... I'm so tired of people that don't look all the entries through, and just look at the already high voted entries.

People, This is how it's done:

thwterraincontest.png

It's the only way to judge fairly, even though it can be hard to remember them all.

Generally, the first pictures were the best. Most of the second ones were... simple, rough, etc. And i judged the second ones, on how well-managed, the second ones were. Tough one...

I've cast my vote ^^

Good luck to all!

(And that li'l critter was just adorable :D, but it didn't get my vote.)

Level 12
I vote for Piwlady, his terrain has the best quality and matches geographically in the most fitting way imo.
The floating terrain was very original and I liked it, but it did not have much quality.
Also, Chaos. WTF?
Anyways, congradulations for all the competitors, and good luck!

Level 5
I think Morbid and Kobas did a awsome work with their befor after work =)
You actually see it's the same place.
But my vote goes to... dun dun duuuuun....
tratatatatatataaaaaaaa....
MEGAFYR!!!!
well... i didn't excactly get the feeling that this is after cataclysm...
but the terrain... OMG WTF !!? looks totaly unbelivable, doesn't it?
CHECK. IT. OUT!!
my second vote goes tooo... (i know you can't vote twice, but if you could... well)
Kobas
it's amassing and you see it's the same place, and the vulcano in the back is just perfect. :thumbs_up:
and the last vote...
Morbid
It's just sticks out of the normal... looks kinda star wars, ewok village.
THAT'S ALL FOLK'S

Level 10
Megafyr made an unbelievable terrain, it was out of this world, absolutely perfect! magnifique! fantastisk! Bueno! and he did follow the definition of cataclysm (a violent upheaval that causes great destruction or brings about a fundamental change or a violent and sudden change in the earth's crust) but it still didn't give me the feeling of it. Piwlady did great work on the structure and the falls (especially the lava fall) and it gave me the feeling of total destruction, so i vote for him. But lillu70, what is that? It looks like Jesus to me...

Level 5
It was definately between Chaos. and Piwlady for most of the time... then I saw Megafyrs and was literally blown away. He gets my vote and my rep.

Status
Not open for further replies.