• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Zephyr Contest #14 - Poll

Vote for your favorite entry

• crabas sakti - Summon Ectoplasm

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Emm-A- - Chicken Rage

• Loner-Magixxar - Stone Integrity

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
If we start a new one while the fate of this one is unknown, there won't be any passion for some people; at least for me.
By the was that Olympic idea is so cool. But the idea of pulling that off in this site is too good to be true, tbh.
Ah dannae about that. I'm (mentally) done with this, and am fine moving on. It's over; something new is a new & interesting thing to think about! : )

"Too good to be true?" Lol. Well, this site has surprised me in the past. (Actually, we ran an Olympics of a different kind several years ago).

Perhaps if people had something else to do to distract them from this they would not complain.
Yeah, like a Contest. ^_^

Chaosy said:
Even so, that would just put two contests unjudged so I don't see the point.
... Sure, I suppose it's technically true; a Contest that just started is "un-Judged". But... seriously?

I'd really have to ask what you feel the point of a Contest is in general. Because "the point" could be "to have fun" or "test of skill" or "whatever", and all of those things can happen with a new Contest, regardless of whether the last one is done.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

I personally would like next Zephyr. I have big exams tomorrow (covers entire high school biology, should start reading soon), but after that next big ones are in Spring. So I could really be dedicated.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
... Sure, I suppose it's technically true; a Contest that just started is "un-Judged". But... seriously
I meant that after it finishes, it will be just like this one.
If they cannot find new judges for this one, why would another one be different?
I'd really have to ask what you feel the point of a Contest is in general. Because "the point" could be "to have fun" or "test of skill" or "whatever", and all of those things can happen with a new Contest, regardless of whether the last one is done.
I want the feedback on my submission since I tried a fair lot of new things.

Last edited:
Level 9
Anyways, whatever contest is held in the near future I won't be a part of it (like anyone cares :) ), cuz I'm working on a 2-player adventure map. It should be finished in almost 4 - 5 months. That's partially why I don't mind putting of the next contest ;). And that's why I got a little upset about the poll results, because I put the map's development on pause for a month to make this spell and it seemed to be in vain.

Level 13
Id love to know the results on this one before we start a new contest. If we start a new contest and end up like this then the mext contest will end up like this then we will create a new contest. Thats gonna pile up. Forgotten contests.

Level 14
Is Anitarf active anymore? I know you guys said it makes no sense, but I mean, if there will not be any progress at all, maybe we have to get a new judge?

Judges, Please tell us where you are at? Something like "visuals done, coding at spell 6 of 14" or something like this ..

For me, i do understand if it takes long to judge this, but I really would like to know if there is any progress at all or at least will be in the near future, or if this was forgotten...

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
It's wise to drop from being a judge instead of keeping people to wait forever without any news. We have had a contest with only one judge before. So if at least there's one judge finished with his review, and if every one is really in hurry to see the result, maybe you better go on with that single judge. I see no point in rushing anything here tho, neither seeing anything being in vain.
Anyway, there are a lot of entries, it's very normal that they take months to review.

Level 50
Asking same questions again and again is not going to be out of any help. If month ago mind set was 'we will wait as much as it takes' or 'nobody really cares for results, we'll be happy to wait' than waiting a couple more months shouldn't be so problematic. Also asking for updates is gonna do no good either, because there is obviously none since last one (2 months ago?). And just how big of a nonsense would it be to switch judge now after it has been decided there wont be any judge replacing?

Level 50
Yeah.
How foolish of us to hope.

Also, being slow as fuck is one thing.
But atleast updating progress is not too much to ask for?
Well you still can hope results will be posted before this thread reaches 20th page.

And if there was any real update (like if the AFK judge did show any sign of caring to post something about this contest) I believe you would be informed by now.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
It's understandable that when the Judges are some otherworldly, unknowable entity, animosity is easy to rile up.

I know Anitarf personally (quote-unquote), and I have faith that he is either A) working on his part of Judging diligently, or B) legitimately concerned with RL matters that take precedence.

Then again, his user title has been "Procrastination Incarnate" for as long as I can remember... ; D

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Very passionate you guys, meanwhile I lost my entry in Zephyr #11 as I was too lazy to come up with a name. (And no, I still don't give proper names to my maps.)

I'd be alarmed if the reviews didn't come at the end of December. Usually around Christmas people have time to chill.

Edit: Way to learn from mistakes...

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Not Christmas Eve, around Christmas. It's when you have holidays, and holidays mean plenty of free time.

Especially the time from Christmas Day to New Year's Eve. Oh, that's the best.

And believe it or not, it's like, 80 days to it :D

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Well you still can hope results will be posted before this thread reaches 20th page.

And if there was any real update (like if the AFK judge did show any sign of caring to post something about this contest) I believe you would be informed by now.

Fair enough.

Perhaps. Which is all the more reason to do something about it.

Level 17
Yeah it's quite ridiculous how this goes. 4 months ago, I never imagined that I will get the results of my bachelor thesis BEFORE this challange.
I agree with the suggestions other contestants have made. We should look for another judge and maybe reduce the amount of judges that we have. That would lower the chance of having someone as a judge who all of a sudden has so much reallife stuff going on that he can't even judge 14 spells by only 1 of 3 criteria.

Last edited:
Even I don't agree with certain mentioned points, and also not with starting a new contest meanwhile, I'm also not very happy how long it takes for us to solve it.
But believe me, I also know possibilities to do, but something like "getting new judges" is easier said than done--especially when there is already some running arrangement with current judges.
And for example with lacking responses, the whole process will be slowed down also, things that could not have been known before.

What I try to do now is to make the best out of it, and to put more preventive arrangements for the future, to ensure better communication and faster judgement.

Chances are high we get results on a Sunday (or for you, public, maybe Monday). I sadly can't really say more to the current state. We need to be patient.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Guys, you could show your interest towards judging Zephyr Contest #15 and show how real men judge! :)

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
@Murlocologist
bc58b0eed3ba06089741cca2dc722f7e.jpg

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

I don't have the skill to be a judge. Though I would probably have the activity.
I also don't like responsibility, so regardless: nope!
You don't have to be the judge of whether you qualify or not. As a "résumé", form a collection from the best of your reviews you've done at the spells forums.

See here.

Status
Not open for further replies.