• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Zephyr Contest #14 - Poll

Vote for your favorite entry

• crabas sakti - Summon Ectoplasm

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Emm-A- - Chicken Rage

• Loner-Magixxar - Stone Integrity

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
personally I appreciate the time taken particularly in the code field, I've had discussions with KILLCIDE when going over the submissions (As we will eventually have to moderate any that end up in the spell section) and there's some very small things that are notably wrong with pretty much every submission (we also went looking for issues in each others just for transparency): being lackluster with it in the name of speeding up the process would only result in demonstrably unfair results where for example a bugged entry beats out perfectly functioning ones with no bugs. Some of these issues are large and caused by 1 incorrect parameter in 1 function used 1 time, how much that weighs in is up to the judge and obviously some have no bugs or issues that we could find despite our best efforts and I'd like to see that reflected in the results through thorough review (for the sake of fairness I won't be mentioning any of the issues we found nor whom they belong to)

It's within everybody's interest that we remain patient if a fair result is the goal we have

Level 50
If I wasn't aware of how legit, liable and pro judges here are, I'd call this an excellent troll thread. I'm sorry it always turns out I'm that guy, but seriously it is just too funny that I just need to point out the obvious.

so, 14 people, 14 entries done in date range april 25th to may 30th,
3 judges, each with 1 category to judge, haven't done the judging in date range from may 30th to august 28th

Contest on hive takes forever to finish cos wisdom dealers aka judges tend to ''take their time''? Yeah cos this never happened before. Seriously, doing wc3 spells reviewing during summer vacation is... well surely not very orthodox way of spending free time, but ...if you aren't capable to write 2-3 averagely theme coherent sentences on 14 wc3 spells in 3 months time, don't apply to be judge and then troll people.

Also not sure how you guys who wait for the results for 3 months are so tolerant to this and take all so calmly. I mean do you really expect you will get a professional, no flaw, no biased reviews on your entries if you wait for extra 6 months of pro-reviewing or are you worried your critic may get your entry to score less points than it would when you'd suck up?

Also funny to see perfidious attempts of some who try to justify this hard-to-believe behavior.

Level 37
summer vacation
I think that only applies to people who just go to school. There's this thing called jobs and lives that is all year around.

Also not sure how you guys who wait for the results for 3 months are so tolerant to this and take all so calmly.
Because it's not important? I'm sure most of us are just curious to see the results.

Level 9
Checking the messy stuff that other people put in the code, their weird mistakes, bugs, manners of coding, and everything SUCKS. Even I can't gather enough determination to check my own triggers sometimes. scrutinizing the codes line by line and figuring out what they are referring to (specially when they are redundant or are bugged) is a pain in the butt. So I won't complain.

But in a more personal perspective, I kinda like postponing the inevitable revelation of my failure; because, no matter how small, failures always depress me for quite some time.

Level 14
I think that only applies to people who just go to school. There's this thing called jobs and lives that is all year around.

Because it's not important? I'm sure most of us are just curious to see the results.

you cant change it anyway so why stress with something we did because we like it and it is not important at all?

Also funny to see perfidious attempts of some who try to justify this hard-to-believe behavior.
what is wrong with you? Can you please stop spreading anger where it is absolutely not important at all?

while it is ok to share your opinion, that judges are being lazy, which is ok - but calling people "perfidious ", what do you think this is good for? I mean, seriously, why insulting people here? Please think twice, before writing!

Level 50
I was being more of sarcastic towards the phenomenon of collective meekness than I was actually minding on how will this get resolved. And I don't understand why my words make you so nervous. Also if you disagree with me, than reply in less childish way than judging my statement based on how I was being harsh in accordance to your criteria. My questions were of rhetorical nature much more than you probably noticed.

I don't intend to enter a deep and apparently pointless discussions on how absurd logic is held by some of you but also don't expect from me to adapt to rose colored glasses ways you prefer.

I also would like to make an apology to the judges. Who can really blame you guys when the contestants themselves explicitly state that they don't care the slightest about results of the competition they were daily watching for past 4 months?

Level 37
There must be something wrong here if a supposed someone who made it obvious that they were "leaving Hive" took the time to make a post and complain about a poll and contest they weren't a part of.

Nobody even put a blame on the judges, so stop trying to start a fire. Everyone just wants to know if there is progress. Take your negativity elsewhere.

Calm down, we do this all for fun and free still. We know people would prefer fast results, but things don't always come as expected... though we do our good to improve.

@Meatmuffin yes, some news. I can definitly say there is some progress now. You know, it's still hard to define an exact date, because it's not just sending the result, but also in case some conversation and clarification is required at first, which also consumes time. I hope we can get this done during next week.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
And here I've gotten complaints for constructing & running a Contest which actually cuts down on the Judges work-load. Craziness.

Murlocologist, once again you are a unreasonable voice of reason. I'm sure if I actually did a good job I'd be more invested in the results, and it's true this should be the easier of the Coding-related Contests to Judge (I expect a "systems" Contest or the Hero Contests to take a while, what with all the parts)... But meh. This is all for free done as a hobby. I know my life doesn't suddenly 'open up' in Summer; still gotta work & I come home to 3 mouths to feed. But hey, I too am curious to see what happens.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Is there an archive file of all of these entries I want to practice my own reviewing skills. I think I made one for mini maps before.

Is the next Zephy before May -17? If not I can't participate for a loooong time.

From next contest I wanna directly zip all into one pack and just attach in main post, but here it is attached now.
If you want you can send me what you got when you are done and we can put them together to results threads as non official review.

For next Zephyr, no date sure yet, but before may, 17th, sounds plausible.

Attachments

• Zephyr Contest.7z
    2.1 MB · Views: 33

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Oh yay non official reviewer best spot ever - reviewer with no responsibility XD
I have clear template up:

CODING
Test map specific code:
Will not be reviewed. If not clearly separated from spell, will reduce points.
Submission-specific code: Aside from possible initialization code, must start from ability object event. Must follow conventions, standards, spell submission rules and contest rules. See JPAG. Note that spell submission rules require MUI and leak-free code. Must represent clarity, integrity and simplicity.
Dependencies: Must be publicly approved. Can not be excluded in the rules.

CONCEPT
Must fit contest theme. In-game description should be the average Warcraft 3 spell's description length. Extended description may be included in the post with the submission.

VISUALS
Must use only one in-game-usable ability. If possible, publicly approved general-purpose solution for e.g. effect dummy, stun, illusion etc. must be used.
Effect spam is considered un-WC3-like, therefore should be avoided.
Effects should fit the contest theme.

Edit: Now follows the official template: Coding 20pt + Concept 10pt + Visuals 10pt
Edit 2: Is now streamlined

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 50
I'll try to include more euphemism terms into this post cos some of you appear to get insulted by my outspoken style.

I'm just trying to imagine if this was an ''unofficial'' contest sort of like challenge. If in such conditions the assigned judge decided to take his time like here I think he'd be called untrustworthy or a troll, also they would assign someone else to give judgment, immediately. Not to mention the first judge's nonchalance would be punished by not assigning him for further contests as a justice dealer. His behavior would also trigger some amount of rage from two contestants who would lose patience after aprox 2 weeks await time. In other words, I think people would be much more furious if this was not tagged as official contest despite you don't really care for the results.

Level 14
Murlocologist, we all did understand that you want to start a fight, but nobody here is willing to get in so what is your point

also they would.. etc bla bla

but nobody here acts like in you hypothetical forum full of 12 year olds, so where does anything of this makes sense? Do you want us to be idiots and become angry at the judges, who do this fun event in their free time? Then, you will walk away and be happy again or what?

you don't really care for the results.

everybody here cares for the results a lot. just no need to be a jerk while waiting for them.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

I updated my review template to include more elaborate version. I will dig right into the submissions later tonight.

What's with the outcry for results man, I think we're all adults here with our personal lives being on the front line. 14 submissions is a bunch anyway...

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I'll try to include more euphemism terms into this post cos some of you appear to get insulted by my outspoken style.
Lol.
Murlocologist said:
...WoW... raped... Warcraft... lore...
You would be right at home on the Scrolls of Lore forums.

Murlocologist said:
I'm just trying to imagine if this was an ''unofficial'' contest sort of like challenge. If in such conditions the assigned judge decided to take his time like here I think he'd be called untrustworthy or a troll, also they would assign someone else to give judgment, immediately. Not to mention the first judge's nonchalance would be punished by not assigning him for further contests as a justice dealer. His behavior would also trigger some amount of rage from two contestants who would lose patience after aprox 2 weeks await time. In other words, I think people would be much more furious if this was not tagged as official contest despite you don't really care for the results.
So, I mean, I get the rage & I can see how one would think that such would happen... But explain to me, if you don't mind, what the point of it all is? What purpose would all the above serve?

Let's get a bit more meta: what's your purpose? What do you hope to achieve? Are you hoping to change some minds? Incite some rebellion? Start a dialogue?

Level 50
Thats as if you are asking me what is the purpose of a forum. It's a discussion board, so wouldn't it be really unfortunate if everybody set their minds to popular opinion? Either way I am being a gentleman in this discussion considering amount of people who were literally begging for my sarcasm.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Thats as if you are asking me what is the purpose of a forum. It's a discussion board, so wouldn't it be really unfortunate if everybody set their minds to popular opinion? Either way I am being a gentleman in this discussion considering amount of people who were literally begging for my sarcasm.
Alright, sure, it's a discussion board; a place for public dialogue on (in this case) matters of Wc3 Modding.

Yet each of us come to this board, this forum, this thread, even the very posts, with a particular goal or state of mind, and so my question to you again: What is yours?

Level 50
I came to make 5/5 icons. I was making 5/5 icons. And now that I'm done making 5/5 icons, the thing keeping me logging to hive are people who quote my posts disagreeing with me or asking me irrelevant questions. If you got any more topic-irrelevant question which regard me specifically ask me in private chat because I won't be going off topic further.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I came to make 5/5 icons. I was making 5/5 icons. And now that I'm done making 5/5 icons, the thing keeping me logging to hive are people who quote my posts disagreeing with me or asking me irrelevant questions. If you got any more topic-irrelevant question which regard me specifically ask me in private chat because I won't be going off topic further.
(Although I was asking specifically about your goal in your posts in this specific thread about this issue relating to this Contest,) I will go ahead & send you a PM then.

And let me join with many others in expressing remorse that you are "done making 5/5 icons", and encourage you to begin again. If you are concerned about the moderator-approval process associated with the Resource Submission forums, well... Many other artists have simply had dedicated threads they make to host all their work, and no one can have any say over that.

Level 11
do we have hopes for updates?
I do hope for updates
Can I get a hell yea?
I think no :( (although i personally hope the answer is "yea")

This contest is a bit long for me, even the terraining contest which almost have the same deadline as Zephyr Contest has already finished and revealed the results. Hopefully the judge(s) can be at least finish within this month though.

Ok I should remain patient for waiting the result..

Level 50
1304618376_tumbleweed-gif.gif

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Well I know my unofficial reviews won't be ready this month, but you aren't even waiting for those so it's fine for me haha XD

Level 50
All understood already we are waiting. This is no OffTopic thread afterall, so stop spamming irrelevant content.
Don't you think that by now you should have appointed new judge? Isn't it better to pass task to different person than to wait for the unresponsive one for few more months? Just replace judge that hasn't done his job yet with @jondrean who said he's willing to give his reviews.

Yes, in general I also think finding a new judge might be a solution in some cases.
How ever, I think waiting some more time is mostly the preferable way, especially when there is at least some notificaion from the judges from time to time.
And what has been talked didn't express there is a need of a new person to be involved in judging, but that the mattter will be solved at a time, which is okay for me, even it's with some delay.
And sometimes it's hard to define the delay exactly, but which is finaly also not sooo important until it's done in the end.
For example some more weeks more in judging is totaly fine for me.

But anyways, where we are at this point now, taking a new judge makes no sense anymore and we just need to be patient. In the end it's also only a contest for fun and some waiting won't kill nobody.

Status
Not open for further replies.