• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terrain Contest #9: Poll + Results

And the winner is...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
A lot of the entries should be tossed out! why have a theme in the rules if your not going really follow it.

Level 14
Well Here is my vote for:
1. M0rbid
M0rbid has done an excellent piece of terrain, i can really see the resembelence...
Ok now for the review
Transition: 4/5 I could actually see the landscape getting turned into a burning hell.

Details: 4/5 Very good... I liked the bridges and trees... Although something doesn't feel right.

Atmosphere: 5/5 In the before cata. It is good forest theme, the fog is good and it fits together.

Level 15
Just out of curiosity, what qualifications does Hadezor have for being a judge? I haven't seen him make any terrains, his rep and post count are very low, and he isn't very well known in the community. So how do you know that he will be an effective judge that will know what to look for in a terrain? I'm sure that I can speak for everyone when I say that we want professional judges who have lots of experience in terraining. So I just want to know your reasons for selecting him judge.

Level 22
I vote for chaos..
May I ask... WHERE THE FUCK DO YOU GET THESE GREAT MODELS >:O Because I'm a pretty good terrainer myself, but I don't often see models as good as those in Chaos.'s preview or Megafyr's.

Also when is the next Terraining Contest I believe I will join in.

Level 22
UTM is basically amature. I've downloaded High Res Doodad Pack from Wc3c it has waaaaaaaaaaay too many custom textures.... The last thing a map maker wants to do is sort out 100 textures....

How did you do the large metal structures? (Support Beams).

And gears, and stuff well wow.... I can't believe you were able to do something that kickass with those resources.

Level 15
The metal structures are made with a crap load of the wooden post model from the UTM. Same model with about 5 different angles. I'll post a pic with no fog after the results are in.

Level 36
I'm up for judging this if you're still looking for a judge ;)

Yes, get started. Also, I asked Void over msn, seeing as he said he could do so to another member in one of his own terrain posts, but I never got any responce. If Arcany and Void can do the judging then the spots are filled and we can start getting some results.

Hope you read this ~Void~!

Level 36
So like, I'm late, and it's kinda half-assed since I only did the top 3, but whatever. I'll do the rest if you guys really want me to but I'm busy with exams so I figured I'd do the top 3 just to give you guys something to look at.

#1: Chaos.
The before scene is kind of boring and empty, although I have to say I like the vines a lot. Not much else to say about that one.
Honestly, the after scene is one of my favorites of all time. It may even be my #1 favorite terrain of all time. I'm really impressed by this not just because it's done well but because it's so original. The orange lights on the black buildings look really cool, the fog on the ground is so fitting and perfect, and the buildings in the background are really awesome too. The only problems that stand out to me is the ugly white fog in the middle, and the low-quality textures on the cloud models, but it's not that big of a deal. Great job.
First screen: 6/10
Second screen: 9/10
Overall score: 7.5/10

#2: Megafyr
So like, the first one's pretty cool. I like how you made the water glow. I'd say holy crap that camera's awesome, but I've been lurking the terrain forum a tiny bit while I was gone, and I've seen you use that angle a million times before, lolz. The shadows on the water are neat too. The trees in the back left are too big, though, the flower and cattail models you chose are just crap, and the water's a bit too transparent.
The second one is really a disappointment, though. It's done alright as far as placement and everything, but it doesn't even remotely resemble the first screenshot, the fog is a really nasty color (maybe realistic but just yucky) the lighting lacks any kind of depth, and well it's just kinda boring to look at.
First screen: 8/10
Second screen: 5.5/10
Overall score: 6.75/10

#3: thedeathhunterwhateverxxxxzxccxzc
Your name is obnoxious to type. Anyways, the first one looks like something Belgarath would've made 2 years ago when he was trying so so hard to imitate MadseN OVER and OVER again :D ... except the doodad placement is kind of unnatural and messy. The water is also... a little TOO much like a mirror, and the rock models are really really low quality. Aside from that, it's solid.
The second one's kinda simple. But other than that, I love it. The colors are really nice, the lighting's got a lot of depth, I love the gradient-like transitions from orange into black, and then the sharp edges on the horizon with the trees. I bet you could put some bubbles in that lava, too :p
First screen: 5/10
Second screen: 8/10
Overall score: 6.5/10

I also wanna give a shout out to m0rbid, Belgarath, and Piwlady for having awesome entries as well.

Good job guys!

Level 36
So like, I'm late, and it's kinda half-assed since I only did the top 3, but whatever. I'll do the rest if you guys really want me to but I'm busy with exams so I figured I'd do the top 3 just to give you guys something to look at.

#1: Chaos.
The before scene is kind of boring and empty, although I have to say I like the vines a lot. Not much else to say about that one.
Honestly, the after scene is one of my favorites of all time. It may even be my #1 favorite terrain of all time. I'm really impressed by this not just because it's done well but because it's so original. The orange lights on the black buildings look really cool, the fog on the ground is so fitting and perfect, and the buildings in the background are really awesome too. The only problems that stand out to me is the ugly white fog in the middle, and the low-quality textures on the cloud models, but it's not that big of a deal. Great job.
First screen: 6/10
Second screen: 9/10
Overall score: 7.5/10

#2: Megafyr
So like, the first one's pretty cool. I like how you made the water glow. I'd say holy crap that camera's awesome, but I've been lurking the terrain forum a tiny bit while I was gone, and I've seen you use that angle a million times before, lolz. The shadows on the water are neat too. The trees in the back left are too big, though, the flower and cattail models you chose are just crap, and the water's a bit too transparent.
The second one is really a disappointment, though. It's done alright as far as placement and everything, but it doesn't even remotely resemble the first screenshot, the fog is a really nasty color (maybe realistic but just yucky) the lighting lacks any kind of depth, and well it's just kinda boring to look at.
First screen: 8/10
Second screen: 5.5/10
Overall score: 6.75/10

#3: thedeathhunterwhateverxxxxzxccxzc
Your name is obnoxious to type. Anyways, the first one looks like something Belgarath would've made 2 years ago when he was trying so so hard to imitate MadseN OVER and OVER again :D ... except the doodad placement is kind of unnatural and messy. The water is also... a little TOO much like a mirror, and the rock models are really really low quality. Aside from that, it's solid.
The second one's kinda simple. But other than that, I love it. The colors are really nice, the lighting's got a lot of depth, I love the gradient-like transitions from orange into black, and then the sharp edges on the horizon with the trees. I bet you could put some bubbles in that lava, too :p
First screen: 5/10
Second screen: 8/10
Overall score: 6.5/10

I also wanna give a shout out to m0rbid, Belgarath, and Piwlady for having awesome entries as well.

Good job guys!

We would have to need the rest judged as well if the score is going to be fairly counted. You dont need to write a text to everyone though, if your really busy.

Level 7
Behold, for my judgement has come!

---

thisruoy (/30)
Creativity: /5
Overal Appearance: /10
Theme: /5
Technical Execution: /10

Omg, this piece of art is the answer to all my questions, the true meaning of life, the epitome of art! The nearly supernatural artistical skill displayed in this terrain is not for a mere mortal like me to judge. I truly have no words to discribe this... I mean, he looks into my soul!!!!!

lillu70 (13/30)
Creativity: 2/5
Overal Appearance: 3/10
Theme: 5/5
Technical Execution: 3/10

Your terrain follows the theme, and that's about it. There's little time invested into this terrain and therefore it is lacking in many, many ways.

Oziris (16/30)
Creativity: 3/5
Overal Appearance: 5/10
Theme: 2/5
Technical Execution: 6/10

The pre-cataclysm screen is alright, but nothing too fancy. I honestly can't comprehend the transition though, and the second screen is badly executed.

Plurkie (16/30)
Theme: 4/5
Technical Execution: 4/10

You're following the theme alright, but there's little creativity to be seen and the technical execution is rather poor.

i_brg_doom (18/30)
Technical Execution: 5/10

A very standard terrain, standard theme execution. Nothing too fancy, not the best technical execution.

-Kobas- (21/30)
Overal Appearance: 6.5/10
Technical Execution: 6.5/10

This terrain came out alright. The execution of the theme isn't very original and there's too much detail in the background of the pre-cata one, which kinda ruins the pic.

Racziel (22/30)
Overal Appearance: 7/10
Technical Execution: 7/10

The pre-cata pic is quite good and pleasant to look at, the post-cata screen is lacking this kind of execution though, unfortunately :(

CoBrA b (22.5/30)
Creativity: 3.5/5
Overal Appearance: 7.5/10
Theme: 3.5/5
Technical Execution: 8/10

Some nice originality here, I fail to see much evidence of a cataclysm however. Technical execution is above avarage. A good terrain all in all.

m0rbid (22.5)
Technical Execution: 7/10

Again, a standard cataclysm terrain (not too much originality and creativity). However, it follows the theme well and there's still alot of creativity in the little things. One of the more interesting transitions.

Potluck (22.5/30)
Creativity: 4/5
Technical Execution: 6.5/10

Chaos. (23/30)
Creativity: 4.5/5
Overal Appearance: 8/10
Theme: 2.5/5
Technical Execution: 8/10

Piwlady (23.5/30)