• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terrain Contest #3 Poll

Who made the best terrain?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
Frostwhisper pwned my terrain with the hand. I'm not that creative... D:

Oh wellz. I can still get second if the judging goes in my favor. Anyways, I actually probably used less space in my terrain than anyone else here. The camera is the default game camera tilted upwards with a Z offset of 800. I didn't even zoom out. The scaling was just around 35% for everything.

Level 34
Frostwhisper pwned my terrain with the hand. I'm not that creative... D:

Oh wellz. I can still get second if the judging goes in my favor. Anyways, I actually probably used less space in my terrain than anyone else here. The camera is the default game camera tilted upwards with a Z offset of 800. I didn't even zoom out. The scaling was just around 35% for everything.
That's actually a really good idea, it keeps the tiles texture from getting stretched. I did the same thing for my city in the mountains terrain.

I think void and I are similar - environment terrainers with no ideas. We aren't meant to make interesting things that make your head spin with all the stuff about angles etc but rather simple things that look good - usually on a larger scale. That's my thought. Probably why I liked voids the most...

Criteria lols

frostwhisper: you caught my attention with the hand, but the rest isn't very nice. Background cuts off, and you didnt bother to do much environment except on the hand. I know, attract attention there, but you have to have a balanced one.
FamousPker49: #2 for me, definitely. I loved the moving sun and the trees getting cut off and put into logs and the building of the cottage. However the background is only so good (not sayings its crap, its quite good). I like balanced terrains :)
Airhead: Narnia much :p? Good job on it, summer has an overkill light and the rest don't have enough, environment doodads missing, but yeah, overall, quite nice.
Just_Spectating: Ehhh. No fog, they pretty much look the same, camera's mashed up against the floor and there's nothing hugely special. But looks nice, all the same.
Ilayat: Pretty good. Lack of fog, though, and lighting, but I like them anyway. Really nice job with environmental doodads and everything else. You have potential, keep working :D.
Hawkwing: Nice. I like it. Really simple with a great idea, trees are turning right etc. Looks very good, but there isnt much to say about it >_>
Mr.Goblin: You either didnt use fog enough or overkilled it. The lighting looks as if the northern hemisphere lights had come out at day with completely different colours than normal, but nice nonetheless.
\Naze: #3 for me. REALLY nice fog and environment, I liked the idea of the bodies in the river and being attacked. The winter seems really cold and empty- very good. Definitely one of the best.
Servily: Needs more fog. Its nice, but not great. Good use of doodads and nice cottage, but you really need the fog to do some work. It helps a lot, trust me, I found that out one time.
~Void~: #1 for me. Great environment, great use of doodads, the most realistic for sure. You did a great job with everything, and it doesn't look like you even used lighting - another bonus. The brew festival is great. Dark and then there's the city - really bright. Then the fjord freezes, you're using RL events and putting them into a terrain - GJ. All very nice.
Friky: It'd be nice playable, but like that ... eh, you did a good job, but not a great one - nice work though :)
Volvox: Mmh, yeah, nice. Winter's too empty, summer/spring a little crowded, but not very, and the fog is nice (the fact that you used none). Good use of skies too.
Thrikodius: Ehh... really not very great. Good use of doodads for the gateway, but it's not very great in total. Would be nice as a playable terrain though.
ThePunisher: Nice but needs more work. There's much too much empty space and you could use some better fog too.

Good job, everyone. :)

Level 15
Belgarath, i used fog in every screenshot :O It's just a new way of using the fog i developed, only to slightly alter the colors in the picture. Yeah, i did screw up the winter a little but i had little chance of seeing snow(lived by the Mediterranean sea until 2 years ago) so i had no ideas. We seem to share the terrain opinions to a certain point but i think this time, Frosty's originality was worth more than Void's professionalism.

Level 5
I say everyone's his very well done and creative, but i find FrostWhisper's Terrain the most attractive to me :D:D Good Jobs!

Level 34
Haha, Belgarath seems to be the only one who understands my terrain ;)

Most people overlook the small realistic details that I use.
I haven't critiqued them yet. ; )

I still don't see how you are not at least near frostwhisper. Your terrain was unbelievable. Too many people don't realize just how skilled it is.

Level 34
What exactly do you mean? People send me PMs with the votes? Or I just hide the option to see who voted for who?

Level 18
No, all you do is, you create your terrain, and make a WIP along with final product and map, and send it to the Host. Most likely Gilles. But you CANNOT talk about which is your terrain or who you voted for when the poll is up, because the Host will have posted all the images anonymously and then people will vote for the terrain and not the name.

Level 6
People who vote on these things dont even look at the W.I.P.s because its in a different thread.

Unless everyone who voted looked for the Thread where we posted all our W.I.P.s and stuff.

Theres a link to each submission on this thread.

And the anonymous idea is a good one i think. Or maybe im just surprised i have no votes lol. Though mine does need improvements :)

Level 6
Everyone with a submission sends it to Gilles (host)
Gilles receives it
Then Gilles would post it in the contest thread
Then people can see it and post their comments on it
Then when the poll comes gilles would post a link to each submission that he posted.
Look at each one, then vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.