1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Techtree Contest #13 - Coloured Mana [Optionally Paired]

Discussion in 'The Arena' started by Spellbound, Aug 9, 2019.

1. T77df

T77df

Resources:
    Resources:
    I always wanted to participate in Techtree Contests but I never had courage :(

2. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
  3. Riki Martin

Riki Martin

Resources:
    Resources:
    A short WIP and maybe the last before my final entry:

Screenshot_1.png Screenshot_2.png Screenshot_3.png Screenshot_4.png Screenshot_5.png

4. xYours Trulyx

xYours Trulyx

Resources:
    Resources:
    Thread seems kinda dead, so I thought I'd publish something to keep the flame going.
    Here's a full preview of the Stormcaller, formerly Storm Witch. Unfortunately, due to balancing issues, that old ultimate got scrapped in favor of this new one.

Don't mind that name. I haven't added lizard names for the Stormcaller yet. She might not have a full voice over, but Thunder Spirit got one. You can hear 2 quotes from it at the end of the video.

5. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Ah, so the Thunder Spirit is sort of like the Infernal, but a different unit :D

The Mark Of The Storm seems really cool, especially with the benefit it gives to the Lightning Warrior

I've actually been considering doing four heroes for mine, if time permits and I have good ideas for them. One for each Bandit creep.

6. Spellbound

Spellbound

Resources:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    that's a pretty cool passive, although I wonder, why not make it autocast?

7. xYours Trulyx

xYours Trulyx

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yea. I really wanted to keep the old ultimate, but I'm having a hard time balancing it.

Autocast abilities that's based on auto attacks (Searing Arrows, Frost Arrows, etc...) doesn't trigger a "Unit - Starts the effect of an ability" event. It only does count if the player manually casts them.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  8. EternalOne

EternalOne

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    There's a workaround for that. You can have a boolean for whether the ability is on autocast, make a trigger that sets it to true when the corresponding "activate autocast" order is issued, make another trigger that sets it to false when the "deactivate autocast" order is issued, and then have a near-identical version of your "Unit - Starts the effect of an ability" trigger that instead responds to a unit taking damage (via whatever damage handler you're using) for when an enemy takes Hero-type damage from the corresponding hero and the boolean is true. A bit of extra work, but doable. I've had to do that in a few maps I made.

9. xYours Trulyx

xYours Trulyx

Resources:
    Resources:
    I think I know what you mean. But as you said, it's extra work. My version functions properly so I don't see a need to change it unless something becomes faulty. In that case, I'll resort to your suggestion.

10. MyPad

MyPad

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Why not check if a buff belonging to that ability is applied on the unit? That way, all you need to include is just a damage event handler.

11. Spellbound

Spellbound

Resources:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    ^ this. Base the ability off Poison Arrow (trust me, other autocasts are hardcoded in some way don't seem to work that well - and none of them work in melee, I don't think) and give it a unique buff. Then, instead of a cast event, you look for a damage event. If the target has the buff, that means they were hit with the autocast. You can then proceed to remove the buff and do the effects of the thing. The only issue I can think of in this is that autocast abilities don't appear to trigger cooldowns, which you should probably test for before doing this :p

12. Mythic

Mythic

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Warp effects:
    Pindot

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  13. xYours Trulyx

xYours Trulyx

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm not planning to switch from a perfectly functional system to something known to have issues. Besides, I think a passive looks better than an autocast.

14. MyPad

MyPad

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    To each his own, then. By the by, here's the Zealot:

The Zealot is a powerful anti-structure unit, capable of decimating defenses rather quickly. However, they are less capable against units, and are especially weak to magic.

15. Spellbound

Spellbound

Resources:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    RIP Ancient Protector.

16. Leods

Leods

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Poor of who NE that uses the Ancients attack technique.

17. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
  18. xYours Trulyx

xYours Trulyx

Resources:
    Resources:
  19. islesofurth

islesofurth

Resources:
    Resources:
    Here is a WIP, No details about each unit atm tho.
    i will do a more detailed pass of each unit set as they become completed

[​IMG]

20. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I would like to introduce my second Hero for the Outlaws faction, the Dark Wizard:

The Dark Wizard

The Dark Wizard.jpg

I wanted to make something like an "Archmage" hero for the faction that ideally represented the raw lust for power and dominance of the Black theme, while still playing into the faction's strength for Ambushes. It's where, to an extent, I'm reluctant to have too many actual "buffs" for the faction, unless there is an ulterior motive at play - for example, the Renegade Wizard can cast Haste on friendly units, but he can just as quickly consume the buffs he placed to further supplement his own health, i.e. he makes an investment should he need it later, and while the investment is in play it allows other units to get in front of him faster. He can also just as readily cast Haste on himself and leg it while everybody else is left to fend for themselves.

I love this theme.