1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Techtree Contest #13 - Coloured Mana [Optionally Paired]

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Spellbound, Aug 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leods

Leods

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hmmm... So Ysera protectors, true?
    If you have any doubt about a unit or hero that does not convince you, you could go through:
    Sholazar Basin
    Sholazar basin is a zone of WoW (Wotlk) fundamented on the battle within nature (and his principal protector, the Avatar of Freya) and the forces of the Scourge. Using this, and a bit of Dragonblight, you will have a excellent source of inspiration.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  2. Astaroth Zion

Astaroth Zion

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    Awesome work everybody.

I will be entering the contest with White, bringing to Warcraft "The Nation of Benalia". Basing my entry mostly on MTG lore and famous cards.

Units
    WC3 name (MTG inspiration)
    • Worker (Human Token)
    • Soldier (Soldier Token)
    • Crossbowman (Crossbow Infantry)
    • Knight (White Knight / Silver Knight)
    • Priest of Serra (Battlefield Medic)
    • Law Mage (New Prav Guildmage)
    • Suntail Hawk (Suntail Hawk)
    • Sensor Engineer (Sensor Splicer)
    • Siege Golem (Golem Token)
    • Serra Angel (Serra Angel)
    • Blade Engineer (Blade Splicer)
    • Serra Ascendant (Serra Ascendant)

Heroes
    • Gerard Capashen [soldier]
    • Kythion Iura [soldier]
    • Ajani Goldmane [planeswalker]
    • Elspeth Tirel [plasneswalker]

Buildings
    • TownHall (tier 1) -> Townhall (tier2) -> Townhall (tier3)
    • Barracks (tier 1)
    • Archery (tier 1)
    • Blacksmith (tier 1)
    • Chappel (tier 1) -> Church (tier 2) -> Abbey (tier 3)
    • Heroes Monument (tier 1)
    • Stable (tier 2)
    • Golem Foundry (tier 2)
    • Tower Garrison (tier 2)
    • Serra Sanctuary (tier 3)
    PS: Any comment on the feel and theme of my faction is welcome. :)
    PS 2: also I am looking for a partner. I can do models and anim them and some GUI programming. (looking for someone with a good grasp on triggers Jass/GUI, and/or someone with 2D art inclination)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  3. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Actual MtG?? Heckkkk yeah. : )

4. WolfFarkas

WolfFarkas

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    what unit doesnt convince you?

the history is:

-Very few NE models, 60% of them are heroes, units, and mostly air units are few.
    - Siege NE units, only 1 that is not some sort of catapult/ ballista.
    -Few NE icons, very few male, mostly female.
    - Few buildings models, 12 pages. Hard to fill the building icons, I had to use Blizzard presets

I read the NE history mostly Isera wich is a green dragon, the war against deathwing and the formation of Teldrasil, Nordrasil Ygdrasil???, she participied in the formation of an important tree.

about the nature, it is a philosophical thing, not a model shape thing.

Green faction is about being honest, tradition, avoid changes,and bla bla bla
    , so no back stabing or very negative aspects spells and no crayzy stuff.

edit: changed chimera hatchling, with this, I found that the guy who did this did an hero version with glow, and a no-glow version, I avoided it because of the hero tag.
    upload_2019-9-2_20-4-54.png

Good luck

@Heinvers , @MyPad @Spellbound

upload_2019-9-5_9-24-26.png

when you can update the main list, its in 8 but now we are 12 participants.

3 White, 2 Red, 2 Blue, 4 Black , 1 Green, muahaha I am the only Green, I like that.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  5. Leods

Leods

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    They all seem perfect to me today. It is just a source of inspiration, in case you are not convinced by something 100%. I don't know others, but I usually doubt my own ideas, and, before having my 11 units ready, I threw out several ideas. As an example. At the beginning, knowing that I would need a Hero Agility, I thought of a ghoul. However, the basics of the model and the lack of creativity in this made me doubt my idea greatly, since I did not consider that a ghoul could ever have such a high position. Knowing Wowpedia, Lore's quintessential page, I could find that the Geist, rarely (particularly, those with cognitive and oral capacity) can reach high-ranking positions. Now, without the need to change the concept or skills I had devised, I can be more sure of the reliability and creativity of my hero
    Of course, but, in Sholazar Basin, you can found a lot of creatures related with Ysera, or, at least, with who granted such powers to her (Freya). Also, "Green faction is about being honest, tradition, avoid changes,and bla bla bla" Hahahha, clearly.

Ohh, there are a total of 4 black. I have a hard competition, no doubt.

6. Riki Martin

Riki Martin

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm using that model too hehe, well I guess it's not bad that we both use it.

You are right, it seems there will be a good competition between black factions.

7. Retera

Retera

Tool Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hey guys!
    I swung by around 1 am and made a video response to an inquiry from Khyrberos about what system I would use to add a 5th race. Honestly with the knowledge that I have at this point, my answer for what system I would use is:

I wouldn't

I made a video tutorial covering everything that I know on this topic. Specifically I started out the video covering how to add a fifth race into a map using no triggers nor systems, using out of game selection and having the new town center correctly prevent the player from being revealed. My video also includes a test for my demo where we can see that this is working. As for how I accomplish this, I simply extract the melee game code from the game using an external tool and copy paste one of the 4 races to add a fifth one, then I import the modified melee game code into my map.

To me this is much more natural to the game as it requires no triggers nor systems and is simply a modification of the game itself.

The downside is that Blizzard still does not support edits to the out-of-game dropdown to my knowledge, so we assign 90% handicap to instead refer to the new race inside of the melee code file.

At the end of the video I offer a discussion of how players who dislike what I am doing because it is different from their Trigger Editor habits can instead copy a duplicate of the game's own melee code into the Trigger Editor and I show a solution that I published years ago using that methodology.

8. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Never stop being Retera, @Retera . : )

9. WolfFarkas

WolfFarkas

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    we are both NE race, and there are very few NE air model units, this result is only natural,

I chose green because nobody chose it, so an NE race would perfectly fit.

by fortune even if you are NE you are black so our spells / skills are 100% oposite,

me I am honest, traditional, hate changes, love nature, growth plants and dislike artificial things.

Since you can be dishonest, selfish you can do some sort of black spells, dishonest backstabing stuff, ugly poison, damage focus, less defensive play.

I have to be nice , positive, traditional peace keeper, I will defeat the enemy making peace, and dancing with nature.

If I would have to recommend a race, High/blood elfs, they have the larger amount in models and icons.

is not what I want to do, is what I can do, NE are very limited compared to humans, high elfs, orcs, custom stuff

that is what I fear, can you please, if you can recommend us a trigger option instead, I feel that simple cheap triggers are more safe and will work in (hoping) almost all versions.

I remember a trigger version, where game pauses and a tab appears with a question want to play the new race? yes ---- no, game continues after awnser.

Progress: I finished 1 hero , that means I have 4 hero skills, and I have 1 skill more of a second hero. 7 skills remain.

Edit: @Retera, great video, agree that is 700% much better than the trigger method.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  10. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You could theoretically do a Green Faction that thrives itself on spreading plagues and diseases, as disease and plagues are naturally occurring and through the death and decay it stimulates growth

A Swamp-based faction where the Swamps are quite literally teeming with life

That was what I was considering doing when I was initially tossing up between doing Green or Black, Green as a sense of renewal on a grand scale

11. MyPad

MyPad

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I don't actually update the list for this contest.

Update on Orderions:
    I've mostly fixed Ver'thuuns and their spells. Fixed Glaive-Bearer's current health-based attack not working correctly.

To this day, no new buildings and units have been introduced aside from what was already there, and Zealots.

Zealot - A unit overwhelmed with his lust for the goddess of Order, he razes every building that belongs to those who oppose his goddess' will (which he interprets as those of his actual enemies). Does very well against buildings, but struggles against units.

Ver'thuun - Last Word will permanently silence a target unit if it casts a spell (temporary for Heroes).
    Aether Realm will banish all units in a target area, preventing them from attacking. The debuff lasts 10 seconds for units and 3 seconds for Heroes.
    Revelation is a high-risk channeling spell that converts the enemy at the end of the spell. If the unit is awoken, the debuff that marks the unit as a target of the channeling spell is removed, stunning the caster (and leaving it practically out of mana). Upon successful conversion, the caster dies.

12. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Another update on my entry, The Sewer Tunnels, a structure where you can get your Ratmen units.

The Sewer Tunnels
    The Sewer Tunnels.jpg

Also, triggers for the development and integration of a fifth race were already provided by Spellbound in the initial post:

"Helpful Links: Custom Race System, Design Guide for Fifth Race by MCV, How to create Full-working custom race, Guide to make a Race. (Provided by VeljkoM)"

These links are usually provided on the first page of every Techtree Contest to give easy access to them, since it is a staple for the contest itself to be able to do these.

13. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I must've missed them; glad that I was wrong (that they were forgotten).

Wazzz most of all I just want you to know that I am constantly trying to respond to you & critique things you show, but Life Is Hard & I've been sick so I just haven't. You deserve better than me. But I will persevere.

14. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It has been a while since I've shown anything anyway, hopefully you get better soon :(

15. WolfFarkas

WolfFarkas

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    edited.

I see,
    sorry for the troubles, nice vermin theme.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  16. islesofurth

islesofurth

Resources:
    Resources:
    This looks like fun.
    I think i will have a crack at this too, provided there is nothing against very late starts :p

Green for me

17. WolfFarkas

WolfFarkas

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I am sorry to say that I am droping/leaving the contest.
    I hope you can forgive me for joining the 30th and drop now the 5th.

But I want to say as good notes, I dont regret it the try,
    I had fun, designing the units, tech-tree, heroes, the manual.
    I got attached with the race I started and I will continue it and submit it as altered melee someday.
    And also I give thanks with the positive feedback/rep points I received.

so the updated list should be:

upload_2019-9-5_9-19-32.png

Good luck in the contest

18. xYours Trulyx

xYours Trulyx

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    That's unfortunate. This is the biggest amount of contestants we had in years. I'm concerned if more people will drop out.

We appreciate the list you made though. It's neat.

19. WolfFarkas

WolfFarkas

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    oh you shouldnt be concerned, my case is very particular,
    -I mapped 15 melee maps, 1 after another, I think I could do an altered (trusting my speed), but I just got exhausted not only for 7 days of mapping this altered melee but also I have the saturation of the previous 15 maps. Yesterday I was full of joy with my altered melee map, but now is like I need a month of no mapping.

Also I understand that extentions are usually granted when many people need it. ( I think users ask extentions before decide dropping).

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  20. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I know a bit of what you mean, with the amount of thought that goes into developing a Techtree I've needed to take the occasional time off from it

Then by the time I get back into it I've already got a clear and exact idea of what I want to implement, and that's how you get sewage skewers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.