• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Solo Mapping Competition #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
1) I don't know that's for the host to decide. Just keep an eye open on the polls, wait a while for the judging to be completed by the official judges and you'll have the results.\
2) As in every contest: Public poll first (if there is 1), appointed judges afterwards.
3) Since the judging will be done after the public poll, there will be no influence there. A detailed list of pro's and cons or review will be given for each entry.
4) You always submit your maps unprotected. The map was to be checkable from the World Editor as well as from the in-game point of view. The triggers should be leakless and should a problem occur, the judge must be able to spot that problem.
5)
  • Creative Level Design: As you predicted: In plain words this is the terrain. It has to be fitting and creative.
  • Unique idea's: Ofcourse the map must have originality. Either in the gameplay, the puzzles, the mood it sets or whatever. Everything that's implemented in the map counts for it's originality (for the better or worse).
  • Defined Artistic Style: It's the atmosphere the entire scene gives that has to match the game. You don't add a modern tank in a medieval scene. Every aspect in the game must set the matching mood with eachother.
  • Lore: Hard to get more obvious then that. There has to be a storyline in the game. There's a reason why the characters in the game do what they do or have to go where they have to go. Make sure the scene makes sense by creating a well thought lore.
  • Gameplay: Everything that affects the way people experience the game, due to any features it may have or anything is what makes the gameplay a point for judging. So stay creative and try to get people addicted to how they're supposed to play the game.

I'll check the updated maps in a bit and drop another review here.

Level 14
Thank you for your reply, Avator.

Eww at the unprotected bit. I was making the game up as I went along, so it's very untidy/inefficient; multiple triggers checking the same events and so on. If it's the rules, I'll upload an unprotected version, though must it be public? I'd be embarrassed to put such slip-shod on display.

Okay, so it seems it's more of a functional terraining contest than I thought, with 60-90% of the marks (depending on how you weigh them) going for fitting terrain. I probably should have checked this at the beginning...

Level 18
Don't worry, there's barely anybody in the public poll that actually opens the map in WE. They will only vote based on what they see in-game.
And no, it's not mainly focussed on terraining. The map in a whole must be a fun, functional game with high entertainment value. A good terrain does have good influence on that, but doesn't make it good by default.

Level 18
Alright, here's the review for the new and updates maps. Even the updated Cave of Forgetting does not want to start. It's a shame Equal, I really don't know what's causing this. Same counts for the new version of Leraux.

Dracion
I don't really like this game. It's repetitive as hell, bugged and the music is a nuisance (but the last 1 might also be my personal taste). The descriptions of anything is lacking enormously. How am I supposed to choose a skill if I have absolutely no idea what it does? I played the first 2 or 3 levels of this game and I'm not exited about it in any way. Sorry, X-OMG-X.

Creative Level Design8/30

Unique Ideas
3/20

Defined Artistic Style
13/20

Lore
2/10

Gameplay
2/20

Total
28/100

The Lost Temple (Not to be confused with Quest for the Lost Temple)
This map is excellent. It has the music, it has the mood, it has the details and it has the challenge. There may be some fine-tuning on the intro, but it's nothing that would really bother a player. Even though I was unable to figure out how on earth I'm supposed to get the 4th orb (blood orb) from that pond, I was entertained with the well-made puzzles it had to offer so far. Should I find out what I'm supposed to do there, I'd be glad to continue that game. I hope to see more games like this pass by.
PS: Please fix that loading screen. For my computer I don't have to wait long, but for older computers that could take a while to load this, it can be quite annoying and people might think their game froze.

Creative Level Design27/30

Unique Ideas
16/20

Defined Artistic Style
19/20

Lore
5/10

Gameplay
19/20

Total
86/100

PS: Apologies for the dubble post. If a mod could merge them, it would be appreciated :thumbs_up:

Level 3
The lost temple was a good game, but... WTF is saving not allowed? And in some places all you can do is guess. I already downloaded all the maps, but didnt play all of them yet. Most of the maps are awesome. Oh and i can open Leraux and Cave of Forgetting. My wc3 version is 1.24d.

thank for your review.
PS: Please fix that loading screen. For my computer I don't have to wait long, but for older computers that could take a while to load this, it can be quite annoying and people might think their game froze.
you mean, that you can't see the loading bar?
well, that's right, it can be confusing, but it doesn't take that long to load.

Even though I was unable to figure out how on earth I'm supposed to get the 4th orb (blood orb) from that pond, I was entertained with the well-made puzzles it had to offer so far
If you need help, I can give you an hint.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The lost temple was a good game, but... WTF is saving not allowed?
try the new version, I fixed it.

Level 25
Here is my final entry. Due to a misunderstanding with
the time, I updated my map, to fix some annoying things:

What? Was this actually allowed? Were i actually able to update my map yesterday? If so thanks for the big notification that was posted let's see...nowhere...

Anyway i have lost a lot of time on my submission and the ending product is bugged due to the fact i was told the contest ended on Saturday 0:00 not on Sunday 0:00...

So dissapointed in this contest right now, i could have made my map playable,good luck to other contestants, it is not like a bugged map can win...

EDIT:

Good luck to all other contestants, though i am dissapointed in the mixup about the ending of the contest and the people that led me to belive i had to submit my unfinished version, have a good life...

Level 8
there should be a rule for all contests, that they always end on a 23.59. This would drasticaly decrease the confusing, since when the contest goes tho the 21, i personaly include the 21...

even saying, to the 20th + 1 min would be more clearly...

But im happy my map could be opened.

Level 25
Well hope you guys win something good in this contest...

I will continue to mod on my map and release it to the public when it is ready.

I am however angry at the people which led me to belive the contest was ended on Saturday in 0:00 and for those people i can only suggest never to address/talk to me about anything unless they want to be flamed.

If i finish the map i will notify some of the fine people who were in this contest, for the rest...i hope the prize was worth in such way you would spread false informations just so others can't make it in time.

Regards, Kingz.

I don't know who told you wrong information, but Syleona said, that she
accepts entries until the end of the day. It was clearly said by her, and you
shouldn't blame the people, who thought the same like you.
It was a bit confusing with the deadline time, and I also uploaded my map before.
But when Syleona said, that it was confusing, so she accepts entries until the end of
the day.

[ http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1482610-post1577.html ]

Level 25
Amigurumi said:
It was clearly said by her, and you
shouldn't blame the people, who thought the same like you.

Then who should i blame? I didn't think the same as them, i thought it ended on Sunday 0:00, others told me otherwise :p

My game could have been playable if i did update my map yesterday but i was feeling sad already due to the fact my map was bugged and due to the end date confusion so when i did login on THW (9 PM in my time) it was too late to do anything since i had to get up early for the school and i saw no reason to login earlier that day since everyone said the contest was finished :3

Part of it was mine mistake, but it wasn't mine alone and i can't belive you are actually trying to talk me out from my opinion :p

Anyway i am dissapointed in the whole situation anyway, and in myself also..i could have played dumb and finish in time...
Teaches me right for following the rules, i will know better the next time i join a contest.

Level 19
I agree with Kingz.
It's lame what Amigurumi did and very very very childish. Someone made a mistake and Syleona helped him out. And Amigurumi wanted to have the same treatment like a littlekid telling his mum it isn't fair that his brother got candy and he didn't.
Kingz was well.. the mature guy that's fucked right now. Well bad luck for Kingz I have to say, but it is stupid that unfair people like Amigurumi use the whole situation like this.
That's my opinion and feel sorry for kingz.

@ Teuncreemers: okay, that's not true what your are telling here.
First I also thought, that the contest would end on 20. at 23:59 . After I read Syleona's post, and then Equal's, I thought, well,
if she said, that she accepts entries until the end of the day, why not changing something?
I didn't say something about: Not true!
So don't blame me, that I did something bad to the other contestants!
I don't know who the people are, which kingz think of, but I'm definately NOT!

so are we allowed to change something now?
or only for those who haven't uploaded them yet?
this was the only post, I wrote after Syleona said it. (Except my entry post).
Is there something about: 'NO don't trust the contest host! I want to have an
advantage, so I can win the contest!'
I don't think so. So stop telling that I'm a liar. Thanks.

@ Kingz: I don't want to be mean, I am sorry for you, because I tried your map, and
everything was fine designed (except some small bugs and flaws).
Well, it's a pity that you couldn't finish it.
I don't know how it works in other contests, or we are just to dumb to get it :p

Level 17
I agree with Kingz.
It's lame what Amigurumi did and very very very childish. Someone made a mistake and Syleona helped him out. And Amigurumi wanted to have the same treatment like a littlekid telling his mum it isn't fair that his brother got candy and he didn't.
Kingz was well.. the mature guy that's fucked right now. Well bad luck for Kingz I have to say, but it is stupid that unfair people like Amigurumi use the whole situation like this.
That's my opinion and feel sorry for kingz.

That is a little uncalled for. I to feel sorry for Kingz, that is a really awesome map that must have took hours to create, and then due to a confusing time, had to rush through it. But Amigurumi did nothing wrong. If the host of the contest says she will extend the deadline, then he may edit his map, and re-upload.

Level 19
I disagree with that. But who am I to say.
X-OMG-X misunderstood something. Syleona felt sorry for him and made his submission still count for the contest. That's something totally different then saying everyone will be able to re-submit their work. But who cares, not that I'm a contestant.

Level 19
Now who is childish?

Man I wish I was a bit better in English so I could exactly say what I'm trying to say here. It's just that you don't see my point which frustrates me. Just as how the entire contest is going on for a while already.
Yes I'm still pissed about the stupid Single Player only rule. And then after that discussion Syleona started with the music theft stuff. After that she came back with the excuse she did it to inspire people and all of a sudden people believed her while it's the worst excuse I've ever heard. I bet it's because of award everyone immediatelly believed it but well who cares. Then the 7 days extension. Not that I care about that extension, it's just that well.. the amaturism (do i write it like that?) is totally present. Why can things never go flawless in a god damn contest that's been in the 'notice window' for over 3 weeks. It's just a shame. And when X-OMG-X get's a littlebit of sympathy for his situation someone needs to use it in a bad way again and wants to use that single day aswel because else it wouldn't be fair. If you're a mature guy then why do you care about that one day come on.. Anyways. While writing I noticed that the fact this all cares me so much says enough already... Why do I even care?.. Tested 2 of the maps already and I gotta say they were both pretty good. Still didn't finish Arcadia yet because damn it's pretty hard:p But well good job for all contestants so far.

Level 15
everyone agrees the times where confusing thats why most contests are either longer so contestants can finish before deadline and not rush or end at like 23:59 at the end of the day. So just let it be and stop argueing if syleona decided it was gonna be that way then i guess it was a little more beneficial for others whichi s unfortunate but a few hours shouldn't have stopped a whole map from being finished.

Level 7
The contest is over. And to clear things now, the main points won't take how well it was coded anyway. It's the design and the idea that will take the major stuff. And Kingz made an awesome job right there.

EDIT:
Deaod will be handling the judging on triggers.

Level 25
Syleona said:
And to clear things now, the main points won't take how well it was coded anyway. It's the design and the idea that will take the major stuff. And Kingz made an awesome job right there.

Thanks for patronizing me but it isn't necesarry.

I am already convinced i won't be in the 1st 3 places anyway, there is no way a unfinished map can compete with a finished one. Even the guys who vote in the poll will tell you that.

Also i am quite sure i leak on a lot of places due to rushing but meh...

I will upload the finished polished version through several weeks, since school just took priority above the contest map.

EDIT:

I am glad Deaod is the 2nd judge, he is the only person one of the people on THW i found not influenced by anyone anytime anywhere.

Last edited:
Level 18
You never know. I got second in my very first cinematic contest, beating a few finished cinematics while mine barely had it's story completely told. As long as it's quality, you still have a chance. But the fact that yours is unnamed out- and in-game, makes it violate the THW map submission rules. That's vital for you to fix.

Level 25
Avator said:
You never know. I got second in my very first cinematic contest, beating a few finished cinematics while mine barely had it's story completely told. As long as it's quality, you still have a chance. But the fact that yours is unnamed out- and in-game, makes it violate the THW map submission rules. That's vital for you to fix.

That is already fixed, but i totally forgot about it till someone mentioned whose map is named "Just another warcraft 3 map" :p

I always forget to fix the little things :3

Level 25
I can't really upload it, can i?

And the fixed map isn't going to be posted in the map section until i finish the Temple of Time + trigger the boss damage properly and implement fury/crystal/adrenaline systems properly.

Also in the map that is counted as my submission troll got an imba heal tech due to the fact i forgot to decrease the heal value(was used for testing sigh) :p

Status
Not open for further replies.