• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Patch 1.30 PTR Live

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
All the ones which I've tested (ie. SetEventDamage). Even the new ones added the other day like PlaySpecialEffect. The GUI actions also convert to the Blz-less natives. The compile error message is something like "invalid item name" with the Blz- but compiles and plays perfectly without it.

I can provide screenshots and/or a demo map if it helps any.

Level 7
Nice update!

I know this can easily solved by using extends array, maybe increase the struct instances to 32676?

vJASS:
//Generated allocator of Foo
function s__Foo__allocate takes nothing returns integer
 local integer this=si__Foo_F0
    if (this!=0) then
        set si__Foo_F=si__Foo_V[this]
    else
        set si__Foo_I=si__Foo_I+1
        set this=si__Foo_I
    endif
    if (this>8190) then
        return 0
    endif
    set si__Foo_V[this]=-1
 return this
endfunction

Level 4
Nice update!

I know this can easily solved by using extends array, maybe increase the struct instances to 32676?

vJASS:
    if (this!=0) then
    else
        set this=si__Foo_I
    endif
    if (this>8190) then
        return 0
    endif
    set si__Foo_V[this]=-1
 return this
endfunction

It was my concern too but I didn't tested. Thank you for that.

32767 by the way.

MindWorX

Tool Moderator
Level 20
Nice update!

vJASS:
    if (this!=0) then
    else
        set this=si__Foo_I
    endif
    if (this>8190) then
        return 0
    endif
    set si__Foo_V[this]=-1
 return this
endfunction
This is something I've looked into. In the JassHelper source there's a constant for the array limit and I could recompile a version with the value changed. However, I'm unsure if changing this value has other side effects, so I wanted to look into it more before changing it.

Level 4
I dont know if its known to people or not, but in the current wc3 patch, "Unit - Grant shared vision of [unit] to (players 13-24)" is broken

All of the vision functions seem to be broken for players 13-24

Is it true that they removed .mix file support with Miles removal? That is so messed up if true. .MIX files were loaded as custom .dll's into Warcraft 3 automatically, thus they allowed various nifty hacks and mods to work.

You could use .mix files as file containers for your resources you used in a map without directly importing them into the map itself.

Why do they do this? Why destroy something good and useful? Who was in charge of this moronic idea?

I don't want to sound negative, but I'm happy on 1.26.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
You could use .mix files as file containers for your resources you used in a map without directly importing them into the map itself.
Wait, what? There was another way of doing that? I thought that was where custom MPQs came in...

A Void said:
Why do they do this? Why destroy something good and useful? Who was in charge of this moronic idea?
Way to show respect.

Have you ever considered that they do things for a reason, and there was probably something about these '.mix' files that was problematic going forward? Now, I'm no software engineer, but as I understand it, automatically loading arbitrary data is mucho bad-o for a program; what you call "nifty hacks" someone with a few less scruples might simply call "hacks", and be the source of a lot of problems.

Wait, what? There was another way of doing that? I thought that was where custom MPQs came in...

Yes, .mix files are automatically injected into Warcraft 3. You create an empty .mpq file, rename it to .mix and it automatically loads while still acting as an MPQ container. You had to supply that .mix file along with your map (of course).

So storing anything inside .mix file could be used in your map if you wrote the file path to it.

This is something I've looked into. In the JassHelper source there's a constant for the array limit and I could recompile a version with the value changed. However, I'm unsure if changing this value has other side effects, so I wanted to look into it more before changing it.

If it would be possible, can the allocator be implemented such that it will only require two variables, one for the allocation and another for the flag?

I'll post the template here:

JASS:
private thistype allocator
private boolean isAlloc

method deallocate()
    if (not this.isAlloc) or (this.allocator != 0)
        return

this.allocator = thistype(0).allocator
    thistype(0).allocator = this

static method allocate() -> thistype
    var this = thistype(0).allocator

if (this.allocator == 0)
        thistype(0).allocator = integer(this) + 1
        this.isAlloc = true
    else
        thistype(0).allocator = this.allocator
        this.allocator = 0
    return this

Level 5
When a campaign movie is playing, music of the main/start screen (frozen throne sound) is still on!
And as I mentioned before, font size of subtitles in simplified Chinese is way too large!

The game crashed when I clicked next after my victory in Chapter 3 of night elf campaign: The Tomb of Sargeras. How does every recent patch break campaign again and again?

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Is it true that they removed .mix file support with Miles removal? That is so messed up if true. .MIX files were loaded as custom .dll's into Warcraft 3 automatically, thus they allowed various nifty hacks and mods to work.

Why do they do this? Why destroy something good and useful? [...]
Dll injection software exists...

** Edit **
[...] How does every recent patch break campaign again and again?
@WeirdEditor: PTR versions are *Public Test* versions. Therefore, expect issues with them.

** Edit 2 **

Off topic:

Because the archive for FMOD Media Player 3.74 (first released on October 18, 2004) seems to have disappeared from archive.org, and because it seems to be very difficult to find on the Internet nowadays, I have created a Pastebin for those interested.

For the record, the full archives for developers (fmodapi374win.zip and fmodapi375win.zip), plus some other files of possible interest (or not) are still downloadable from archive.org.

Be aware these versions of FMOD are (very) outdated; they were soon superseded by FMOD Ex.

On topic:

Out of curiosity and interest, does anybody know which version of FMOD the PTR uses?

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
FMODEx, 4th version of FMOD
[...] Plus fmod is modern and well-maintained [...]
One is not 16 years old? [...]

As this API is modern this may have other advantages. I suggest people test out what sound formats Warcraft III supports play back of. It might have fixed the mp3 playback difficulties. It may also have added support for new audio formats. [...]
@Kam: hmm... Isn't FMOD 4 (a.k.a. FMOD Ex) a legacy product by now?

FMOD 4 API still available? | FMOD

** Edit **

@Dr Super Good: this is how it can be done, from a programer's point of view:

File Format | FMOD

Last edited:
As far as all this talk of .mix MPQ files, I'm still a proponent of the idea that there should be a command line option on the game itself. Right now Warcraft III already supports:

Code:
".\Warcraft III.exe" -loadfile Maps\Scenario\(4)WarChasers.w3m

And, if you do this, the game starts and is running WarChasers. Likewise, I think there should be a -loadmpq or -loadmod option. For example:
Code:
".\Warcraft III.exe" -loadmod Mods\ReterasMod.mpq

As far as security, if there's already a program on a user's computer capable of running Warcraft III independent of the game, and starting it up in this special mode, then their computer is already compromised. So, I don't think it poses any security threats of any kind. And it would allow deprecated fan-based mods that are just big MPQs that replace in-game data to still be used. I have created several of those over the past 15 years, and they range from mildly entertaining to actually pretty fun.

Here's one example, I may update this post with others:
Example 1: Heaven's Fall 2006 | HIVE
Example 2: Heaven's Fall 2012 | HIVE
Example 3: POTA2 | HIVE
Example 4: Warmod | HIVE

As a result of a programming fluke at Blizzard, you can play this mod online with friends by placing it in the Warcraft 3 folder with the specific file name "War3Mod.mpq" in Patch 1.29. This is an amazing system for modding. Will there be a supported system to share mods like this in the future?

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Isn't FMOD 4 (a.k.a. FMOD Ex) a legacy product by now?
It seems it is still pretty current with FMOD 5 being quite new with low adoption rate. One must remember that FMOD is licenced software within the scope Blizzard is using it and hence moving from 4 to 5 might not be free.

The link you posted was to someone requesting the low level API for FMOD 4. That still exists but by the looks of it they have made it require special licencing, possibly to protect their intellectual property as it may expose low level mechanics of FMOD which could be used to create ones own audio library component with similar performance.

I am guessing the reason Blizzard moved to FMOD is because all modern Blizzard products use FMOD. For example StarCraft II, Heroes of the Storm and Diablo III use FMOD. Since so many Blizzard products use FMOD I would not be surprised if Blizzard has a standing volume licence of sorts for FMOD. Additionally all modern Blizzard software engineers will be familiar with FMOD and probably not know Miles Sound System.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
It seems it is still pretty current with FMOD 5 being quite new with low adoption rate. One must remember that FMOD is licenced software within the scope Blizzard is using it and hence moving from 4 to 5 might not be free.
FMOD Studio seems to be their flagship product.

During the development of FMOD 4, Firelight Technologies dropped support for some OSes and processors.

According to the ZDoom Wiki, the notable versions of FMOD Ex are:
  • 4.24.16 - Last version to support the G3 processor. [(PowerPC)]
  • 4.28.07 - Last version built for Solaris.
  • 4.36.23 - Due to a change in compiler, this is the final version to support Windows 98, Me, NT4, or 2000.
  • 4.44.58 - Last version to support G4/G5 PowerPC Macintoshes.
They also say the 4.26 series was recommended for a long time due to issues with the newer reverb engine and changes to 3D positional sound handling.

FMOD Ex - ZDoom Wiki

[...] they have made it require special licencing, possibly to protect their intellectual property as it may expose low level mechanics of FMOD which could be used to create ones own audio library component with similar performance.
... like this does not already exist.

:wink:

I am guessing the reason Blizzard moved to FMOD is because all modern Blizzard products use FMOD. [...]
Good point.

WoW was their first game to use FMOD (v3).

Last edited:
Level 6
Very happy to see new things coming out! I've had a brief look at some of the new things (and also 'old' things from the last patch)

Liking the vJASS addition to the vanilla editor alot, but without a syntax highlighter I'm wondering how many people will use it :)

There are still some issues with the 'new' mouse natives, where it's not really possible to determine 'what kind of click' it was (i.e., a menu click, a click on a hero button/idle worker, an ability used, or just a simple left click on the screen). At the moment, they are difficult to work with.

Anyway, I'm excited and might do some modding again! :)

Last edited:
Level 14
Is it possible for max tileset to be increased from maps only using 4bit to 8bit for that? It would allow for so much more variety in terrain especially in giant maps and ones that need variety of tiles for many areas.

Last edited:
Level 14
Is it possible for max tileset to be increased from maps only using 4bit to 8bit for that? It would allow for so much more variety in terrain especially in giant maps and ones that need variety of tiles for many areas.
EDIT: And ofc having official support for current 16 in original WE would be lovely :)

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
@MindWorX So while I'm not convinced this is new to 1.30 or not (IIRC I ran into this on my v1.26 as well), but lately I have had some problems with GUI Unit Enumeration...

Basically I have the most simple code ever:
  • Shrink Serum
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Shrink Serum
    • Actions
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units within 300.00 of (Target point of ability being cast) matching (((Matching unit) belongs to an enemy of (Owner of (Casting unit))) Equal to True)) and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Unit - Create 1 Dummy Caster for (Owner of (Casting unit)) at (Position of (Picked unit)) facing Default building facing degrees
          • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Orc Shaman - Bloodlust (Picked unit)
And it only ever works on one targeted unit. Consistently fails to work beyond that. I can't see any rhyme or reason to the one it picks, and it's not an issue of the Object Editor; I've had try it themselves & they've got it to work ( @Retera ).

Level 2
System
-
Provider
[ Name] Application Error
- EventID 1000
[ Qualifiers] 0
Level 2
Task 100
Keywords 0x80000000000000
- TimeCreated
[ SystemTime] 2018-07-17T09:26:53.694609300Z
EventRecordID 6295
Channel Application
Computer DESKTOP-3MFIO35
Security
-
EventData
World Editor.exe
5b3be95f
KERNELBASE.dll
fa43f4b2
c00000fd
000ecb13
ccc
01d41db04a189ce5
D:\Warcraft III Public Test\World Editor.exe
C:\Windows\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
5d0f0681-c078-4b35-8985-604579c34e9e

I can't run the World Editor.exe

Ok i will shorten the story : Removing .mix support was bad idea for modders , but its fine if blizz had to do it if they plan upgrade wc3 file to modern

Second and most important thing : We know that some of hives had build a career in blizz directly from this site ,and some who are not employeses still having direct contact with them

Is there any Blizzard employee who would listen our voice i talk about wcunderground community ? We are the second wc3 important community after hive and we deal with other stuff like modding . Can you please consider us a bit , cause i am afraid wc3 patches are iintentionally going towards killing mods .

I will remind you that we too (Specually Rebirth which is part of WAA) are idolising blizzard , using blizzard resources , we are aware that they dont care about us much, but still we are aware its their property too , and we follow rules and respect our God.

Please login to bnet and see how dead the game is with tons of empty games hosted by bots - you know it . Hive discussed already about it .

I think hive is doing their job to serving blizzard god , and we try to do some on our own way .

Now my appeal is : We try to revive a game (i know its on amateur level,but we do our best)that is dead ,by dragging people using fancy graphics,blizzard models parts,art,style etc so DONT KILL US hive-blizz gentleman . Thank you very much

If the people are interested in this, I've solved it myself 'inside' mpqs (for example b.mpq for barrens) are now inside folders, they are named in the old way for example for barrens b.mpq but as A FOLDER, So if you want to replace it dont save it as a mpq but name your folder 'b.mpq'

Also please dont mind kantarion, he is not talking as our mod (Rebirth), and also I'm the global moderator of wcunderground, he is not stating a community opinion, yes all the modders and modelers are I think effected bad from new cascstorage but there is no need to write mad comments...

Last edited:
Level 14
Ok i will shorten the story : Removing .mix support was bad idea for modders , but its fine if blizz had to do it if they plan upgrade wc3 file to modern

Second and most important thing : We know that some of hives had build a career in blizz directly from this site ,and some who are not employeses still having direct contact with them

Is there any Blizzard employee who would listen our voice i talk about wcunderground community ? We are the second wc3 important community after hive and we deal with other stuff like modding . Can you please consider us a bit , cause i am afraid wc3 patches are iintentionally going towards killing mods .

I will remind you that we too (Specually Rebirth which is part of WAA) are idolising blizzard , using blizzard resources , we are aware that they dont care about us much, but still we are aware its their property too , and we follow rules and respect our God.

Please login to bnet and see how dead the game is with tons of empty games hosted by bots - you know it . Hive discussed already about it .

I think hive is doing their job to serving blizzard god , and we try to do some on our own way .

Now my appeal is : We try to revive a game (i know its on amateur level,but we do our best)that is dead ,by dragging people using fancy graphics,blizzard models parts,art,style etc so DONT KILL US hive-blizz gentleman . Thank you very much
Game isnt dead but i agree about the modding, keeping the MPQs as secondary/legacy archive would work, if not there should be 1.29 installer left for offline mods if its impossible or too much work to do to keep in working state.
And again game isnt dead, there are hundreds of games hosted by people via bots daily, what you see as "empty lobbies" are 24/7 hosting services that some clans keep up or its just for particular map like footmen, people join these or they just dont since they have their own hosted games to their liking with ENT or MMH. It's one of those misconceptions that are far from truth but i see many people saying that.....this is just not true.

On my note i would love to see more things for mappers improved in terms of quality life as i said in prior post too, tile limit increased from max 16(limited by 4 bit information dedicated to tile selection, it could be easily solved by upgrading it into 8bit which will be 256 slots - pretty much infinite for our applications and would tax the game at all on modern machines, ofcourse it may not be as easy as it may sound and i am fully aware of that, especially with keeping full compatibility backwards. Other things like Cliff changing, tile set changing, or changing type of water(also tied to a tile, replacing the textures isnt much in terms of a solution, and redoing entire map to change it is also not viable solution, so official option would be lovely :)

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
If the people are interested in this, I've solved it myself 'inside' mpqs (for example b.mpq for barrens) are now inside folders, they are named in the old way for example for barrens b.mpq but as A FOLDER, So if you want to replace it dont save it as a mpq but name your folder 'b.mpq'
Can you elaborate? Perhaps provide some examples/screenshots?

Can you elaborate? Perhaps provide some examples/screenshots?
Ofc okay I'll show it it is simple actually: they are named like this but they are not a mpq file , they are just a folder
Adsız.png

and you export it as for example: c\desktop\war3mod\b.mpq

Adsız.png
As you can see it is a folder now, with local files we put it in together with our mod (Rebirth mod in my case):
Adsız.png
Adsız.png
And here you go our HD tiles are working, you could use this method to add custom tileset specific models like snowy buildings in northrend but I could not make it work since 1.29, idk maybe someone can find out more about it

Edit: Also if you name your folder war3mod.mpq and put everything you have put to your mod before (but never forget to make folders for inside mpq's I've talked about) it works too (But first you have to enable Local Files which is legal to do thanks to god)

Last edited:
Ooh, thanks!

I'll ask more later (@ work), but are you saying it *doesn't* work as of 1.29, 1.30, or what?

Yeah, they were working but in 1.29 (and on) something has changed that I dont know maybe game isn't reading them the same way,but the reskins of original models might still be working, my custom models were not so I left trying after alot of fails with nearly all possible ways.

As for cliffs there is no problem cause you just change 2 blps for each tileset which is kinda same as reskining original models that's why I think reskins might work :)

NVS

NVS

Level 2
Starting with PTR 1.30 I am unable to use OpenGL. Let me preface this by saying that my setup is probably more obscure, as I play Warcraft III on Linux via Wine.

All that is displayed is a black screen. Does not matter if I use any other flags (e.g. `-window` or `-nativefullscr`). Sound functions properly, and I can tell I am shifting through the menus and even starting a game by using hotkeys. This issue does not present itself if I avoid using OpenGL. Nor does it exist in older versions. However, I prefer to use OpenGL due to performance reasons. For example, I will hold a nearly constant 60 FPS when using OpenGL and many units/special effects are on screen. Without OpenGL, I will have ~35-40 FPS when not a single unit/special effect is present, and it will drop much lower in typical play.

Level 5
I wish at some point they Enable Multiplayer Game Cache at least for Lan. And not only for storing heroes xp and stuff but for other things as well, like unit position on maps and other related things that are hard to be restored with just save codes. This potentially could allow for coop games like the beast master campaign, or other player made campaigns for coop play.

An other thing would be to be able to add more than 2 cliff types in the world editor, with also the ability change cliffs with scripts in-game.

And a last wish. Allow players rejoin on going games, I know am asking too much now :p

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Because the support of Windows XP has now been officially dropped for Warcraft 3, it also means that people have to reconsider the fact that Warcraft 3 is designed to run on hardware from the Pentium II / III era. Also, please do note that 32-bit OSes are not explicitly mentioned in this document (or maybe Blizzard does not know there exists a 32-bit version of Windows 10 as well?)

For the record, the campaigns have never been really playable / enjoyable in 640x480, because of the main font Blizzard has decided to use since 2002.

Status
Not open for further replies.