• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest 16 - TANKS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 51
Work in progress...

Although it's far from being anywhere near finished, the basic design is already there; 4 legs and a big sci-fi energy cannon.

attachment.php

<B really nice :D

The cannon somehow doesn't quite fit the body of the tank though =/ (One being rather detailed, and the other rather... crude)
It needs something on the front of it. At the moment, it is very block-ish.

True, true. Probably going to add some shield type stuff or other kind of details there. We'll see how it'll turn out...

Level 31
The mesh for the most part is done. Though, I am deciding if I want more turrets.

EDIT: 2000 polies btw.

Attachments

• Tada.png
    Tada.png
    584.4 KB · Views: 199
  • Tada2.png
    Tada2.png
    712.9 KB · Views: 165
  • Tada3.png
    Tada3.png
    620.5 KB · Views: 163
  • Tada4.png
    Tada4.png
    527.3 KB · Views: 126
  • Tada5.png
    Tada5.png
    546.2 KB · Views: 137
  • Tada6.png
    Tada6.png
    676.2 KB · Views: 134
  • Tada7.png
    Tada7.png
    530.2 KB · Views: 138
  • Tada8.png
    Tada8.png
    620.5 KB · Views: 140
Level 26
Great looking WIPs from everyone so far.

kitabatake, the UV wrap needs a little work but interesting texture choice
very spikey tank chilla killa, imagine ramming into THAT thing :p
Good wip debode, it looks like a simple texture but sometimes simpler is better. i cant wait to see more progress
very creative concept mr.bob, a 3 legged tank. the legs do seem a bit underpowered at the moment, but im sure it will come out great. looks complex though.

Level 12
So far i think Kitabatake & Mr. Bob have the best ones. Well see who wins tho, we may never know

PS: Bob, the small gun barrels below the main gun looks kewl, hehe.

Level 30
Mister Bob, I love it. It's awesome. Really. But 2000 polygons is far too much for a game like wc3. It would simply clash with the lowpoly models. It'd look awesome in a game like UT 3 :D

Kitabatake, Looks very nice and wc3-ish. Only the mappin's a bit messy and I don't like the front :p

Anyway, here's an early wip.

Attachments

• spidertank.png
    spidertank.png
    20.7 KB · Views: 201
Level 14
i shall try to clarify in terms of pictures

Structure
View attachment 76508
this is your typical tank, a weapon turret on the top and a chassis(the main body), the mode of movement at the bottom. as you can see, it hugs the ground very low.
View attachment 76509
This is also a tank, although it may lack a turret. it is still very much a ground based combat vehicle.
View attachment 76507
this, for the sake of this contest, is also a tank. it has a weapon turret on the top and a chassis. as you can see, with both of them, the bulk of the vehicle is at the lower part, making them stable. 4 leg is stable
View attachment 76506
this is NOT a tank, it is a walker. it is classified as a walker, mainly, because it walks
View attachment 76510
This is not a tank. it is fourlegged and stable but it does not hug the ground
View attachment 76505
this, for the sake of this contest, is a mech. it has an identifiable head, torso and arm structure. It is not a tank

Armour
i like to keep it simple. the Grenade test. if it can be knocked off by a grenade, its not a tank. a bicycle is not a tank, a quad is not a tank, a jeep is not a tank. tank is a hunk of metal that will laugh at things like a grenade and small arms fire. if you want a tank that can shrug off a nuke, go ahead. if you want a light tank with very light armour, that can maybe survive a grenade, go ahead. just dont make a golf buggy with guns

Weapon
as said before, any weapons are allowed

whats about a floating tank? i try to make a modern one without wheels...

Level 31
I couldn't help myself. I had to make a render of the mesh with aluminum material. There are two videos. One is big, the other is small...don't ask me why I gave you both...because I have no idea. D:

Sadly, the texture will probably kill this model's quality.

Attachments

• renderoutput.rar
    9.3 MB · Views: 132
Level 48
Oh, I forgot to mention - things on the back are mines, things on the side are explosive barrels. I really don't like the barrels, I only really put them in because the sides were really bare and I wanted an additional weapon. Any suggestions on how to replace\improve them would be appreciated.

And it's all completely made from scratch, not a single part is from Warcraft. And the polycount is actually lower than in my previous W.I.P, I removed 3\4 of the rocket mesh, and left only the head - this reduced the polycount by about 300. (772 was the polycount in my previous W.I.P, it is currently 636)

Level 35
I couldn't help myself. I had to make a render of the mesh with aluminum material. There are two videos. One is big, the other is small...don't ask me why I gave you both...because I have no idea. D:

Neat, though I kinda think that 2k polies is too much for a tank, as those units will properly appear more then once in most maps. As said they are the front line defense..

Btw: What is the other video you put in there? Floating blackish flat squares?

Level 48
Debode: I don't like the barrels too =p
But I think Bare sides will be cool, never knows

Edit: A small update:
View attachment 76684

This looks very cool actually, but... I don't see any wheels\treads? Do they exist and I just can't see them or you didn't yet added them?

Anyways, the gun looks a little strange in my opinion. I don't really know why, it just looks strange. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.