• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest 16 - TANKS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26
the%20hive%20workshop.png

tiananmen-square-tank1-18081.jpg

modeling.png
contest.png
number.png
1.png
6.png

Contest Theme: Tanks

Contestants are to make an armored, ground based, mechanical unit that would logically be considered a "TANK" this vehicle would be used in front line combat.

A tank can mean a lot of different things to different people, and sci-fi stories have certainly broadened the term over the past few decades.

So, to clarify, for this contest, a "tank" unit will be any ground based, heavily armored mechanical unit.

This includes tanks on CATERPILLAR TREADS, these are of course, the standard. Most tanks employed in the military are on caterpillar treads. And caterpillar treads are the most widely recognized form of a tank.

And while not currently practical in our modern society, legged, walking tanks will also be acceptable for this competition. such as THIS-1, THIS-2, OR THIS-3

HOWEVER!
Please be careful when making tanks that walk, try to stay away from making it look like a MECH, (THIS EXAMPLE-1, EXAMPLE-2 or even something like thisEXAMPLE-3 would all be considered "mechs" and as such, invalid for this contest)

DO NOT MAKE A MECH
mechs are mainly characterized by an identifiable, "head" or "arms". Your submission should look more like a vehicle than a humanoid robot. No "robot" submissions will be accepted, nothing like THIS-1 or THIS-2 will be accepted. And god help whoever tries to submit a Gundam

Now, notice how i say that the unit must be "Ground-based" this means that all submissions must have at least part of the unit "touching' the ground. This means that Hovering Tanks will NOT be accepted.
THIS EXAMPLE-1 will NOT be accepted, and THIS EXAMPLE-2 will NOT be accepted

We do NOT want any hovering tanks because there is a very fine line between something that HOVERS and something that FLIES. And we do not want to spend 3 weeks trying to sort out WHAT constitutes the difference between the two.

And please keep in mind that the point of a tank is to be used in battle, so your submission MUST have a weapon of some sort, be it a catapult, a cannon, a mortar, a machine gun, Gatling gun, laser, missile launcher, grenade launcher, or melee weapon, ETC ETC. it can not be a Ferrari on treads LIKE SO.

And while we are on the topic, we will only accept VEHICLES, we will not accept organic "tanks" Like in left4dead and we will not accept "static" "tanks" Like a tank of water

Also, for the sake of the other contestants, Morphing units will not be accepted in this competition. This theme was chosen to encourage more finished models and more participants, morphing models take too long to build and we want everyone to finish on time, in addition we do not want other contestants to be discouraged by the complexity of competitor's "additional animations". However, build animations, sleep animations, "Upgraded" animations, and spell animations are of course, always acceptable.

Now that all of these technicalities are out of the way. Feel free to create something innovative and unique, WITHIN THE THEME GUIDELINES OF COURSE. But be creative.

EXAMPLE-2

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

1. No submission may violate any Hive Workshop site rules.
  2. You must post at least 1 WIP preview before the deadline.
  3. You may make as many models as you want, however pick only one for the final judge's evaluation.
  4. To qualify for entry, you must post your model(s) in .mdx format, and an in-game screenshot of the model.
  5. You must post your entry before the deadline expires and attach it to a post.
  6. You must make the model for this competition, which means that you cannot use old works.
  7. Your model must have these minimum animations:
    • Stand
    • Attack
    • Death
    • Walk

prizes.png

• First Place: 50 reputation points and your entry on an award icon.
  • Second Place: 35 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 20 reputation points and an award icon

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

• 60 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
    • Score shall be taken out of 50 points,
      • 15 points for mesh (verticies and faces)
      • 10 points for animations (or how well Blizzard animations have been used)
      • 10 points for skin (or how well Blizzard skins have been used)
      • 5 points for mechanics (how well does this model work ingame)
      • 5 points for effects (appropriate use of particles, particle saturation, etc.)
      • 5 points for creativity.
  • 40 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
  • Final Score = (Judge's Score)*0.6 + (votes/(total votes))*40 = (score)/100

contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

All submissions must be complete and submitted 5 weeks after the contest is started.
The contest shall begin on Wednesday, 24th February and conclude on Wednesday, 31st March, 11:59 PM, 2010 GMT

judges.png

Tell us if you want to judge!

entries.png

1. Anarchianbedlam
2. Pyramidhe@d
3. InfinityNexus
4. General Frank
5. Devine
6. DonDustin
7. HappyCockroach
8. Amigurumi
9. ikillforyou
10. Debode
11. Werewolftherewolf
12. time-to-die
13. pangahas
14. Fan
15. Ike_Ike
16. Mr.Bob
17. infrenus
18. kitabatake
19. ZIR
20. Tails96
21. Chilla Killa

Last edited:

CyberDuelX16

C

CyberDuelX16

The Guy is a Tank Maniac and a Tank Fanatic (No Offense)

Level 11
Ehem... guys, do you remember we have WarCraft (Medevil and magic society) community, not StarCraft... Yes? :) Maybe there should be a rule at last, that this should fit in WC3?

Not offence, but I didn't see a single map with usage of all this beatiful mechanical modern units uploaded in models section ;(

Level 26
to clearify, I did not pick this theme. This theme was chosen because it is EASY. Tanks require far lass moving parts than a person or an animal. And it is in this logic that we hoped to acquire more finished entries.

As for amigurumi's comment earlier, the "Kronous" model is considered a "mech" because even though it has treads instead of feet. The model has a defined Head and arms. It is less of a turret and more of a torso.

As for Aspard's comment, Yes we ALL realize that tanks do not fit into wc3.... contrary to what you might believe, not all of us are complete idiots. But then again... not ALL custom maps for wc3 use ingame models. Not ALL custom maps for wc3 are about WC3. Just think about Battletanks, they have tons of tank models in there, even dota has some. Not everyone wants to constantly re-use the goddamn steamtank 50 times over.

Level 11
As for Aspard's comment, Yes we ALL realize that tanks do not fit into wc3.... contrary to what you might believe, not all of us are complete idiots. But then again... not ALL custom maps for wc3 use ingame models. Not ALL custom maps for wc3 are about WC3. Just think about Battletanks, they have tons of tank models in there, even dota has some. Not everyone wants to constantly re-use the goddamn steamtank 50 times over.

I see, but anyway - there are a lot of modern tanks already on database. I think, there are many other not too animated but not least by importance things which could be created :)

Nevermind, that should be more clear from the point of modelling difficulty for you than me.

Level 4
Nice...(too bad I'll only be able to see the results :p) I'd love to join but... I can't make a model of a stick o_O can someone suggest any good tutorials(and programs :) ) ? Thanks! Good luck to anyone who enters the contest and I'm hoping to see some incredible models...again :D

SO MANY LIMITATIONS. that's bad. =/

I have thought about something though...
Still I have 3 questions:
- does it really need to be heavily armored? (I plan to do a chaotic goblin-like thing not as bulky as tanks use to be)
- can I use wheels instead of those tread things (which don't fit my idea)
- aren't you guys going to be any more flexible than this? Cos this is narrow as hell.

Last edited:
Level 12
SO MANY LIMITATIONS. that's bad. =/

I have thought about something though...
Still I have 3 questions:
- does it really need to be heavily armored? (I plan to do a chaotic goblin-like thing not as bulky as tanks use to be)
- can I use wheels instead of those tread things (which don't fit my idea)
- aren't you guys going to be any more flexible than this? Cos this is narrow as hell.

1.) if this is a heavily armoured tank only comp. it isnt that fun, since not all tanks are heavily armoured.

Edit: asked on teh chat about it :D
[16-56-36]
Users.png
anarchianbedlam: Draknyte1, lightly armored tanks are acceptable

[16-56-41]
Users.png
anarchianbedlam: but they must resemble tanks

2.) it was previously stated that you can use wheels instead of treads if you would like :D
3.) Cant answer this, LOL

Level 26
EDIT:

To question 1, your model does not have to be heavily armored, it could be a "light" tank, BUT your model must look like some sort of TANK, too lightly armored and it may look like a bicycle. ALSO, please keep in mind that your tank can not be TOO lightly armored, because that would defeat the purpose of creating a TANK in the first place

I have already answered question 2, you may use wheels, but the model must look like a tank. NOT a jeep. The reason why this contest is so "limited" as you say, is because of 2 reasons.

1. we have already had a "siege weapon" contest, and we do not want to broaden the contest constraints so far as to repeat a theme.

2. I will repeat. This theme has been chosen on the basis that tank model are significantly more static than other model themes, and as such, CONSIDERABLY more easy to animate. And it is through this logic that we hope to have more finished entries. However, this contest is not limited to caterpillar tanks alone.

Aside from treads, for those of you who are feeling more adventurous, you may use legs, wheels, balls, skis, etc to make your tank move across the ground. As long as it is ground based, feel free to be as creative as you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.