• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Mini-Game Mapping Contest #4 - Puzzle & Mystery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Bosses? Isn't it supposed to be a puzzle/mystery map? I can't see how you'd have multiple bosses in there, let alone ones with spells.

If I'm missing something, feel free to enlighten me.

Level 5
Bosses? Isn't it supposed to be a puzzle/mystery map? I can't see how you'd have multiple bosses in there, let alone ones with spells.

If I'm missing something, feel free to enlighten me.

my map is a survival puzzle map, you have one squad and make your way through the Catacomb. I have 2 antagonists in my map who are bosses, you can conciliate the mystery with the combats and puzzles, i dont see any problem with that.

If he want to put bosses in the map, as long as he stay in the theme, i think there is no problem at all.

Level 7
Of course there's no problem. I just thought it's a bit strange that's all.

Although now that you say so, I guess it would be possible to have bosses in a puzzle/mystery map, I mean a lot of games defeat bosses with puzzles.

Level 7
I've got a question. I'm quite terrible at making triggers, I mean, they work as they should, but they are competly leekly (i guess). Though, there are no lags or bugs with them normally, do I get - points for "bad" triggering?

Probably, but I think only if they really do lag. Also, I think it will depend how much they lag and how often.
For example, if it only lags when you do like 20 spells at the same time, it'll hardly be noticeable and thus not really a problem.

But that's only what I think. And I'm not gonna be a judge, so don't take my word for it.

Level 5
I've got a question. I'm quite terrible at making triggers, I mean, they work as they should, but they are competly leekly (i guess). Though, there are no lags or bugs with them normally, do I get - points for "bad" triggering?

try using this tool http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/tools-560/leak-check-3-1-a-62951/
its very useful, just copy the trigger as a text, and paste in the leak check, he will show you what triggers are leaking, and also has a option to show you how to fix it.

Level 5
i never had problems using the leak check. it just take some time to get used to it.

but of course,it depends of your personal preferences, the tutorial that you posted just make me understand the leak problem ,but didn't help me at all. Thats why i use the leak check instead. :goblin_yeah:

working on the map right now, probably a new wip in the end of the day.

Catch a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. Teach a man how to fish, and he can eat for a lifetime.

Learn through trial and error. Post frequently in the triggers/scripts help section. Here's a great tutorial by our spell mod Bribe about leaks.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...quick-tutorial-common-triggering-tips-190802/

Like puggsoy said, bad triggering is looked down upon, but you shouldn't lose more than 1-2 points if its just leaks. If its generally innefficient triggering, you might lose even more points. The real person to ask would be my friend mohammad ali (Magtheridon96), seeing as he is judge.

Level 7
as far as im concerned, if you dont have any noticeable lag in the map, you wont get bad points for it
"Although you have some leaks in the map, I didn't notice anything laggy and the map looked bug free" <- Pharaoh's answer to leaks in my map in last contest ;)

Leak Check is deprecated guys.
There are tons of bugs. Didn't you all read that thread that Bribe posted? :ain: (no link here dude :p)
Also:

I've got a question. I'm quite terrible at making triggers, I mean, they work as they should, but they are competly leekly (i guess). Though, there are no lags or bugs with them normally, do I get - points for "bad" triggering

Not at all! You'll only lose points if I can actually feel the lag (Don't worry, I have a fast computer ;D)

Post frequently in the triggers/scripts help section

Please don't do that =P

Level 5
Wip

A simple wip here of the Catacomb. next time i will post a demo :goblin_jawdrop:

Im posting the terrain in some sections ( i dont want to show all the map yet :D) and the concept that i followed. The pictures show only the terrain, and the scenes in the screenshots are just part of the environment, many people will barely notice ^^

Attachments

• Lower level.jpg
    Lower level.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 118
  • crypt-bones_2943_600x450.jpg
    crypt-bones_2943_600x450.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 145
  • Corridor.jpg
    Corridor.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 107
  • catacombssancallisto4.jpg
    catacombssancallisto4.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 391
Level 51
Not at all! You'll only lose points if I can actually feel the lag (Don't worry, I have a fast computer ;D)

Thais Great to hear, thank you :)

A simple wip here of the Catacomb. next time i will post a dem :goblin_jawdrop:

Im posting the terrain in some sections ( i dont want to show all the map yet :D) and the concept that i followed. The pictures show only the terrain, and the scenes in the screenshots are just part of the environment, many people will barely notice ^^

Looks amazing, i Love it already :)

Level 7
okay, also postin WIP - The Plagium
its a playable part of the map, you can see how its gonna work and so, though im going to add more mystery to it and add or rework some things...
i didnt care about the leaks, however i guess there arent that much :)

EDIT: newer WIP

Last edited:
Level 17
Hahaa... I was in the first place against this theme. Defense would've been a lot better!

Defense would have been too easy.

EDIT: On second thoughts I probably won't be entering the contest.
Too lazy, working on other stuff.

Have fun everyone else.

Last edited:
Defense theme is so open you can do many kind of maps. There are many that type of maps in map section but I don't remember any contests.

Isn't that a good thing? Many entries and a lot of competition.

You make a good point. With an easier contest theme, more people would join. I know I'm having trouble with the "puzzles" part of it o_O

Well it was sorta my idea in the first place to have a theme like this as I barely see any maps like the current maps/WIPS and will be quite a challenge even though it doesn't seem like as many contestants, but there will be more contests in the future with all different themes.
Also my map is going well and I recon is the most unique so far :) and is quite a brain killer. Also depending on how much time I have I will keep on adding more features to hopefully make my score go higher and might attract more attention or not as much.... Dunno I seem to mhave trouble in having a game that everyone will like.

Well it was sorta my idea in the first place to have a theme like this as I barely see any maps like the current maps/WIPS and will be quite a challenge even though it doesn't seem like as many contestants, but there will be more contests in the future with all different themes.
Also my map is going well and I recon is the most unique so far :) and is quite a brain killer. Also depending on how much time I have I will keep on adding more features to hopefully make my score go higher and might attract more attention or not as much.... Dunno I seem to mhave trouble in having a game that everyone will like.

Just do your best. It's a friendly competition, not a life or death challenge. Besides, certain people are good at making certain styles of maps, I can't make a tower defense map at all (I've tried probably 3 times).

Just saying that I like a challenge with a theme that I have nether done before and does seem hard for me to do it but I like to push myself to try to get the best result:). Also I was just mentioning how my map was going but it would be nice to see the other results to see how good they are. So I shall say good luck and have fun contestants:).

BEHOLD! THE 1/2 MAP OF UNFINISHED TERRAIN, LIKE TWO OR THREE CUSTOM UNITS, A SINGLE BROKEN TRIGGER, AND ABSOLUTELY ZERO STORY (so far)

View attachment Detective Dan.w3x

Also increase the map size to have a more attractive map with there being some kinda terain in the backround as maps without them decrease the quality of the maps terrain.

Uhh huh. Look below

Going Green: How well does your map make use of limited space, be it file size or terrain size.

I have a 64x64 map (I believe). I'm trying to squeeze all the space out of it, and having a smaller map usually means less work (or thats been my experience with the WE).

I can see kinds how the maps consensus will go and terrain looks alright but isn't great in my eyes (probably because I do terraining differently:3).

OH NO YOU DIDNT!

I think that going green means how well you use the space you provided yourself regardless on the map bounds but instead how well you use the space and also make 0 space for useless gaps and also about how big the maps size should be and for that game it probably should be a bit more larger.
Just my opinion anyway. and also check my results for the last contest and read the 'going green' part as that may explain what I'm trying to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.