• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini-Game Mapping Contest #4 - Puzzle & Mystery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
finally i can think of a mysterious story to my map :D until now i was just placing random events and hoped i would later find out a story for them :D im just not sure if i can represent the whole story in such a small map, probably id need to cut it...
how are you guys going with it? isnt it quite hard to create a mystery while still seizing it into a small map? :eekani:

Level 5
Map Size (not file size), won't matter, but it may affect your score in the "Going Green" field. Also, the file size must be under 8 MB. The lower the file size, the greater your score in the "Going Green" field. For example, an awesome TD that's barely 600 KB would get a high score in that field :)

if you are having problem with a small map, you should try create a bigger one.

well, my map has a medium size, so im not having much problem with that, the scenario is divided into rooms, like "The Cube" movie, sometimes with traps, and some times with puzzles. so basically is a medium map with many mini-games (not so many, it will probably 7-10)

Level 7
LOL. im going on a holiday tommorow and until 12th july i wouldnt work with pc - but i was too worried with my half of the map, so i worked on it the whole day and somehow finished it today :ogre_haosis:

The Plagium v 1.0
here is the download, ill probably look on it after and maybe even reupload newer version after the holiday, but if not, this is quite complete :)

edit: ok, i realised there are a few small bugs, ill try to remove them when i come back :)

Last edited:
@Ahimtar:
I played the map. (I stopped after a troll killed me :p)
Tips:
- Don't give ANY of the doodads in the middle of the room collision (a pathing map)
- When we rescue the Archmage, you should give truesight around him
- Don't use Do Nothing God Dammit!!
- You should improve the terrain :/

Level 29
Final entry?
You should really improve terrain, it's just some blizzard cliffs that form some narrow paths.
This looks similar to your bomberman map, i really don't see much puzzles and no mystery at all o_O
The gameplay is too repetitive, you just plant bombes and ensnare enemies when they come close.

- Yes it's my final submission, I may fail in terraining but let the judges decide...
- My bomberman project doesnt have bosses and other abilities, plus the enemies doesnt attack...
- As for mystery, well, you're caught in a surprise, then it's a mystery...

Level 5
Ok guys, WIP TIme, my work is something like 40 % now, but im not sure yet, maybe i did only 30 %.

posting the map, i want some feedbacks, impressions, everything.

and i post another picture of the terrain, and the concept. ^^

i hope you enjoy it, im not sure yet if everything is working properly.

the only thing that i know is: you can kill the units of your ally (grey).
i will fix it for the final entry tho.

if you have any problem solving the puzzles, i can help ^^
save the game often, you will probably die . If any of your soldiers die , you lose (you need all of them to finish the puzzles).

Attachments

• Terrain.jpg
    Terrain.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 104
  • catacombs_rome_italy1.jpg
    catacombs_rome_italy1.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 295
  • Catacomb of Elend (DEMO) v2.w3x
    1.2 MB · Views: 56
Gotta work on mine. Argh.
xD Don't worry, you have like 2 weeks (a fortnight xD)

Yes it's my final submission, I may fail in terraining but let the judges decide...

You do know that terraining is practically one of the only 3 things I have to consider right? :p
Triggers don't matter at all :D
As long as they're bugless and almost leakless ;)

As for mystery, well, you're caught in a surprise, then it's a mystery...

I'll be the JUDGE :ogre_hurrhurr: of that :ogre_hurrhurr:
Get it? :ogre_hurrhurr:
See what I did there? :ogre_hurrhurr:
It's a pun :ogre_hurrhurr:

edit
mckill, I can't play the game. You need to set the Computer Player's team to Team2 or else the map wouldn't play :p

@mckill:
O_O
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many bugs O.O
1- I won the entire game by blinking to the boss :p
2- The boss is way too hard to beat :p
3- I blinked out of the boss room, died, and stayed at level 10 :p
etc..

Last edited:
Level 29
You do know that terraining is practically one of the only 3 things I have to consider right? :p
Triggers don't matter at all :D
As long as they're bugless and almost leakless ;)

You do know that terraining is not the only thing to consider?...I expect 0/10 for terraining :)...

About the blink, I forgot to remove it coz It's not suppose to be one of his abilities, it's just there for testing purposes, anyway I've disabled it now...some minor updates I already done...

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1953249-post211.html

I've worked hard on my map and is pretty much done except a thew things and also have added alot and will like some feed back or anything useful really. I hope you enjoy and hope it is fully functional in multiplayer :)
Also not sure about how people will like it as I have experimented with the map alot.

Attachments

• Forest Assasins WIP 3.w3x
    147.1 KB · Views: 37
@Mckill:
Two LAST bugs:
- Can't play it outside World Editor
- When I walk over a dead spider, I shouldn't die :p

Oh and PLEASE decrease the range you have to be within a spider/mouse >.<
I kept dying :L

Also, for TimedBoomer:
call SetTextTagText(tag, R2S(R2I(duration)), 0.025)
->
call SetTextTagText(tag, I2S(R2I(duration)), 0.025)

;)

edit
Oh and you should also give us truesight around all units (I've died for no reason like 12 times :p)

Last edited:
Level 29
@Mags
That's so impossible coz I've tried that many times, what version of WE you're using?...
also, the spiders, I just edit it in the object editor, cant raise cant cant decay so I dont get it why your unit dies...
about the range, I will change it...

Oh and you should also give us truesight around all units (I've died for no reason like 12 times :p)

you cant die 12 times coz the max life is just 5 unless you use your ultimate :)...

Level 5
It's somehow hard and easy at same time.
It's really hard for 1st try.
But really easy for 2nd :)

:D thank you for testing.
well, i think this is a good thing, now i can increase the difficulty level for the next puzzles ;D

mckill , i think the problem with the spiders, its not the decay and such, but the death time. all the units have a 3 seconds death time, changed to 1, or something like that, or make the spiders explode, and i think the problem will be solved. { Art- Death time (seconds) }

and he can test your map in the WE, the problem is test the map inside the warcraft , without a enemy team , the game cannot be started.

Level 16
@Figueiredo, the terrain is beautiful, and the extreme darkness (cleverly used to mirror the rough edges in catacombs, good old day and night models) create an intense mystery atmosphere. But due to wc3's shitty lighting the first cinematic had a spot where the light caught on the tile.

The game was too hard at the start. I got a warrior stuck in the middle of a fight and couldn't move his ass at all. Either make an ability to make the warriors phasable (go thru other units), or balance the game so it is easier and my dudes don't get stuck.

Overall it was nice. Finish it and I'm waiting for this gem :)

Level 5
@Figueiredo:
I tested your map. I'm actually very pleased :)
The terrain is amazing and it fits the theme perfectly
The themes are reflected perfectly
etc..
@Figueiredo, the terrain is beautiful, and the extreme darkness (cleverly used to mirror the rough edges in catacombs, good old day and night models) create an intense mystery atmosphere. But due to wc3's shitty lighting the first cinematic had a spot where the light caught on the tile.

The game was too hard at the start. I got a warrior stuck in the middle of a fight and couldn't move his ass at all. Either make an ability to make the warriors phasable (go thru other units), or balance the game so it is easier and my dudes don't get stuck.

Overall it was nice. Finish it and I'm waiting for this gem :)

im glad that you guys liked :D
i really appreciate your feedback
I hope i can finish it in time... too much stuff to do yet.

about the warriors, i can reduce the collision size of the units to allow them to move swiftly. Also , i can delay the enemy attack when you get to that room in order to make the things more easily, and to have more time to react.

Ok... That's all I can show for now :)
Kays

Your terrain looks incredible. very different than your first wip
nice work :goblin_good_job:

Level 7
I've worked hard on my map and is pretty much done except a thew things and also have added alot and will like some feed back or anything useful really. I hope you enjoy and hope it is fully functional in multiplayer :)
Also not sure about how people will like it as I have experimented with the map alot.

I'll try it out with my friend once he get's bored with SC2. I give it a day or two :p

An update for my Wip is here and is completely working so I hope you enjoy because there was things wrong in the last and have been completely 100% fixed so now I have time to polish off my map alot for the final entry and maybe make a preview image for the map.
Enjoy as my map is awesome:).

Attachments

• Forest Assasins WIP 4.w3x
    149.6 KB · Views: 33
Level 29
lol! I nearly forgot this contest and my map needs to be updated...

EDIT:
Map Updated...this is really the FINAL...

Changelogs:
- Range where you get killed reduced from 170 to 140.
- Damage for cannon has been increased.
- Bosse's life and level decreased.
- No more map pings.
- Harder this time.

Attachments

• Maze Raider - MGMC#4.w3x
    63.1 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:
Level 7
Im back and workin on the map!

@Ahimtar:
I played the map. (I stopped after a troll killed me :p)
Tips:
- Don't give ANY of the doodads in the middle of the room collision (a pathing map)
- When we rescue the Archmage, you should give truesight around him
- Don't use Do Nothing God Dammit!!
- You should improve the terrain :/

-a little bit harder to die now
-the doodad pathing was removed, although it was a lot of work because in one room they were supposed to have pathings
-archmage sight granted
-do nothing removed :ogre_frown:
-i really did my best on terrain, i´ll try to improve it but no great changes, im not very good terrainer
-still trying to improve the woman ports and the ruin hand
-i find most of the puzzles easy, maybe im gonna rework some parts of the map

still workin, no wip for now

Last edited:
Guys, I'm going to be in Turkey soon (July 18-July 25), and since I just might not get a computer with me there, I probably won't be able to judge the contest directly after the deadline, but don't worry, I'll be here on July 26, but don't be alarmed, I'm going to start reviewing any complete maps if anyone's interested just so I can speed up the process.
McKill's map has been judged already in some areas and Figueiredo's map :)
I hope this won't be an inconvinience :/

Level 16
Since my last WIP I wasn't doing much on my map but today I spent 3 hours working on it and made 1 puzzle (lol).

Heres WIP2:

Ooh! so good Zanar, the camera was more comfortable than I thought, but the light is still a problem for me, find the 4 books in that darkness was impossible, I had to use the "Iseedeadpeople" to find it. And good idea the fact of have to read the four books in front of the gate :D

But I think that this is a little piece work compared with the other entrys :( Good luck!

Level 16
Guys, I'm going to be in Turkey soon (July 18-July 25), and since I just might not get a computer with me there, I probably won't be able to judge the contest directly after the deadline, but don't worry, I'll be here on July 26, but don't be alarmed, I'm going to start reviewing any complete maps if anyone's interested just so I can speed up the process.
McKill's map has been judged already in some areas and Figueiredo's map :)
I hope this won't be an inconvinience :/

Guuuurl whatchyu doin in TURKEY?

Level 5
@Figuieredo, interesting

Btw I love your sig. My favorite episode of ghost in the shell :)

almost finishing the disease puzzle right now, it's much better than i expected , i had some new ideas in the process that made the whole thing better ;D

and about Ghost in the shell, Yeah, one of the best episodes of the serie , and one of the best's animes that i watched. that scene where the Major uses the gun of Saito against that armored suit was epic too :goblin_jawdrop:

@GamerCreutz

Thank you for testing :D
im increasing the difficult of the game gradually, and maybe tomorrow i can release a second version.

@Zanar

I tested your map something about 5 times. Use the books to complete the puzzle was a nice touch :D
but , as before, your units start walking correctly , however, somehow the animation gets stuck in a odd loop.

i dont know how to fix it, i can't even create this kind of system of movimentation, just reporting the bug that i found.

Status
Not open for further replies.