• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Mini-Game Mapping Contest #4 - Puzzle & Mystery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Concept (Base) Does the mini-game follow the contest's theme? /10
Concept (Puzzling) Is the mini-game cohesive, regarding the puzzles? How well were the puzzles presented? /30
Concept (Mystery) How well is mystery presented, how good secrets were? /30
Going Green How well does your map make use of limited space, be it file size or terrain size. /10
Playability Is the map bug/lag free? /10
Aesthetics How well does the map look and overall feel of the 'environment'? /10

I feel that it is wrong to add the concepts for puzzling/mystery to the scoring. It should really just be changed to gameplay, because the theme is puzzle/mystery, not puzzle AND mystery. For example, I'm making a game that revolves around a detective trying to catch a criminal before he murders an entire village. Since its PvP, I was focusing more on the mystery theme by having the criminal disguise himself as a villager, be able to issue commands and make false leads, thus throwing the detective off. Am I going to be docked points simply because I don't include puzzles into a game that fits the mystery theme?

I have nice idea, but I must wait to see will someone take judge position first.
Any candidates (I still wait your answer Pharaoh_ :p)

Didn't see any question in the first place :D

Sure, if I'm needed, I'll take the other position, unless someone else wants to fill in.

I feel that it is wrong to add the concepts for puzzling/mystery to the scoring. It should really just be changed to gameplay, because the theme is puzzle/mystery, not puzzle AND mystery. For example, I'm making a game that revolves around a detective trying to catch a criminal before he murders an entire village. Since its PvP, I was focusing more on the mystery theme by having the criminal disguise himself as a villager, be able to issue commands and make false leads, thus throwing the detective off. Am I going to be docked points simply because I don't include puzzles into a game that fits the mystery theme?

The theme revolves around both. The gameplay can only vary as to specific elements that define either RPG or Survival or anything. Wouldn't be cool a detective to follow some leads, and by leads I mean puzzles? It doesn't have to be a classic puzzle, like mini-mini-games in a mini-game, it can be a series of clues that lead the player to an answer.

Question: I know cinematic maps are not allowed, but is it permissable to have small cinematics to help explain the story? Gameplay would still revolve around puzzles and solving the mystery, but cinematics would be incredibly useful to my map.

It will be useful to a judge's eyes too. Make sure you make them Escapable though.

Level 7
I now have the map but still in progress... Is it just Ok to post it at its final stage?

Pay close attention to the two bolded out lines below.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • If a submission does not follow the map submission rules the creator will be disqualified.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme. If any model does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
  • Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
    • Several screenshots of terrain and gameplay.
    • The file in the appropriate format.

[*]You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours.
    [*]Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Your final submission must be bug free.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
    • Finding testers and voice actors to help you with your submission is not considered teamwork.
  • Imports may be used in the map, however they must all be credited.
  • All multiplayer maps must be under 8mb, so they are playable on Battle.Net.

Lol edgar allen poe. The cask of amontillado was my favorite by him.
Now I remember ^^

I now have the map but still in progress... Is it just Ok to post it at its final stage?

If it's a WiP, then post it ^^ (To prove it's yours lol)

Pay close attention to the two bolded out lines below.
Where? ^^

I'm up for judging (presuming I don't end up entering the contest).
Awesome! ^^

I'm up for judging (presuming I don't end up entering the contest).
If you want. you can be judge. We always have Pharaoh_ in pocket so don't worry about it.
So just say: Should I add your name to the list or no.

note: 2 judges are enough (that's my opinion) if you want more say it.

Level 5
Wip

@Figueiredo00
lol
Reminds me of some dude named Fortunato for some reason :p

LoL ^^

well, this is the wip of my terrain.
its just a introduction of the map, before entering the dungeon/catacomb.

about the units and etc.. nothing is done yet, so the final version will be much different

Attachments

• Wc3 .jpg
    Wc3 .jpg
    391.9 KB · Views: 119
  • WC3ScrnShot_062111_143439_01.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_062111_143439_01.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 82
  • WC3ScrnShot_062111_143532_02.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_062111_143532_02.jpg
    439.1 KB · Views: 85
  • WC3ScrnShot_062111_143617_03.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_062111_143617_03.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 94
Level 19
My mini-game is going to be a 30 minute-long puzzle adventure. It will be separated into 3 different acts, the first of which will only take 8 minutes, and the second and third to last anywhere from 8-12 minutes each.

ACT 1: THE CARRIAGE

Your horse has died, and you are stuck on your way back to Abel; alone on a rainy path occupied by large insects and screams of thunder, you must now find your way to civilization on foot.

Your first objective will be to find shelter, as your horse is dead and a mountain slide has blocked off the path.

Instinctively, you will turn around and head down the path.

Once you proceed farther down the road, you will receive a prompt saying Checkpoint Reached, and you will receive a journal entry about checkpoints.

(I have put in place an active replay system so if you fail you can continue playing without having to restart or load back.)

On your way down the opposite side of the path, a starving wolf attacks you, and you are unarmed. You must dodge it for a while before it finally gives up and dies. If it does kill you, you will replay the scenario from a point just before you encounter the wolf.

That's the first couple of minutes for you, I'm writing the whole thing piece by piece now that the recipe system and the checkpoint system are done. I'm working on the terrain and really like the way it looks so far. Anyway, toodles.

Do you guys know what mystery is....
It's more than 1 category not just one kinda off game:hohum:
and you can be creative you know.....
Also there is already a chess game:L

Do you know what a joke is? Lol.

And no I haven't played soulchess yet. I was thinking about it but I realized I have a chessboard in my room. Yes I know what mystery is. I own all the unabridged Sherlock Holmes. Hell, I even read Hardy Boys and Scarlett what's'her'name once. And I watch CSI alot BITCH! PWNED.

Deathchef is there someway we can do a challenge to see who scores higher on this mapping contest? Cause I'd like to compete and see who knows mystery better :ogre_hurrhurr:

Level 5
Good to see more contestants ;D

i almost finish the introduction of the map for now, the puzzles im still thinking about it, and the geography of the place as well.

here the second version of my previous wips...

Attachments

• Intro v2.jpg
    Intro v2.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 118
  • Intro v.2.jpg
    Intro v.2.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 102
  • Intro v..2.jpg
    Intro v..2.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 88
Your horse has died, and you are stuck on your way back to Abel; alone on a rainy path occupied by large insects and screams of thunder, you must now find your way to civilization on foot.

Your first objective will be to find shelter, as your horse is dead and a mountain slide has blocked off the path.

Instinctively, you will turn around and head down the path.

Once you proceed farther down the road, you will receive a prompt saying Checkpoint Reached, and you will receive a journal entry about checkpoints.

(I have put in place an active replay system so if you fail you can continue playing without having to restart or load back.)

On your way down the opposite side of the path, a starving wolf attacks you, and you are unarmed. You must dodge it for a while before it finally gives up and dies. If it does kill you, you will replay the scenario from a point just before you encounter the wolf.

That's the first couple of minutes for you, I'm writing the whole thing piece by piece now that the recipe system and the checkpoint system are done. I'm working on the terrain and really like the way it looks so far. Anyway, toodles.

Not so mysterious now =P

Mine story is different, your character find himself in strange house (Basement to be precise). There are few puzzles waiting to be solves so you can get out to another room, but to make things worse there are magic runes that allow your character to move to another dimension (Shadow world), same house (rooms) but things are now much worse, music, lightning, even sounds and units, grrr :)

Oh there will be house goblin in good and ghost in shadow world to guide you for small things (gifts)...

Damn I told you 2 much already.

Anyway terrain is half finished, I just need to decide how will camera actually work :D (90% chances that I decide to lock it).

Damn damn, I won't tell you more :razz:

Status
Not open for further replies.