• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Melee Mapping Contest #3 - 4 vs 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 29
I exactly meant that, thanks.

And one last question; Changing the height of props won't create any problems, right?

I mean picking a prop (for example a rock) and using Ctrl + Page Up/Down to adjust its hight (not changing the object from the editor).

Exactly what @deepstrasz said,

Where the timer is, Melee map: Yes, there are many things (not going to list them) that change that:

upload_2018-12-5_8-11-17-png.311087

As long you see the Melee map : Yes, is all ok to maybe (quality) reach Blizzard.

You can ask all the question you need, those questions may help others with doubts too.

if you want to participate, post it here and Mr.Henci will add you.

good luck.

Level 9
Exactly what @deepstrasz said,

Where the timer is, Melee map: Yes, there are many things (not going to list them) that change that:

upload_2018-12-5_8-11-17-png.311087

As long you see the Melee map : Yes, is all ok to maybe (quality) reach Blizzard.

You can ask all the question you need, those questions may help others with doubts too.

if you want to participate, post it here and Mr.Henci will add you.

good luck.

Yup, Sign me up!

Maybe tomorrow I'll post a WIP.

Level 13
I would life to participate! It's always fun to create maps!

Few questions:

All submissions must follow the current theme.

What is the current theme? I can't seem to find it among the rules.

Since it's a 4v4, and FFA is not necessary, would it really pose trouble if I make it FFA based or not?

That is it for now, Best of luck to the rest of the contestants!! Can't wait to see your finished projects!

Level 29
I can make it as a normal 1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1 map, and count is as a "4v4", but i can also make 4 players close to each other vs 4 others or ect...

you mean something like this Diggers v1.0

... shure is a fun idea or it can be 2v2 2v2, maybe waygates can make some coperative attacks.

I think a limit would be that 1 player doesn´t spawn unfairly surrounded by players of the other team.

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
@Twilight welcome aboard. Theme is 4v4 melee maps. (No visual theme) To your second question, I would say 8 players FFA can work as 4v4 map, so I personally won't have problem with it. What do you think @mafe ?
I would simply apply the same rule as for the 1v1 contests: We dont care (neither in positive or a negative sense) if the map can also be used for FFA, 6v6 or whatever else. For scoring in this contest the judges should only consider how the map does for 4v4.

Level 13
I would simply apply the same rule as for the 1v1 contests: We dont care (neither in positive or a negative sense) if the map can also be used for FFA, 6v6 or whatever else. For scoring in this contest the judges should only consider how the map does for 4v4.

Thanks~

you mean something like this Diggers v1.0

... shure is a fun idea or it can be 2v2 2v2, maybe waygates can make some coperative attacks.

I think a limit would be that 1 player doesn´t spawn unfairly surrounded by players of the other team.

I'm surprised you played that map, That map wasn't even well made or finished xD But thanks again!

Level 6
Since some of us are already working on this, can you please be clearer whether it should be strictly 4v4 or free for all?
To be honest "free for all" would be much more playable, while the specific 4v4 type (two teams with 4 players each) puts some limits on the scene and has the effect of a scenario rather than a casual map.
So, what say you?

(Oh, and btw, I just noticed that putting players at fixed locations will alter the "Melee" status of the map...)

Also, another question about the screenshot(s) that we have to send in the meanwhile to prove that we're currently working on it and it's our own creation - where to upload them, how often/how many?

Sorry for the silly questions but I prefer to ask a silly question, that may make the contest clearer for many of us, rather than staying silent :D

Cheers.

Level 29
Since some of us are already working on this, can you please be clearer whether it should be strictly 4v4 or free for all?
To be honest "free for all" would be much more playable, while the specific 4v4 type (two teams with 4 players each) puts some limits on the scene and has the effect of a scenario rather than a casual map.
So, what say you?

Also, another question about the screenshot(s) that we have to send in the meanwhile to prove that we're currently working on it and it's our own creation - where to upload them, how often/how many?

Sorry for the silly questions but I prefer to ask a silly question, that may make the contest clearer for many of us, rather than staying silent :D

Cheers.

there are not silly questions, ask all you need.

WIP question.
only 1 enough but you can upload more to have feedback.
There is no WIP limit, I remembered I did like 5 Wips in the last contest.
1 Wip per day would be annoying but one wip per week seems ok,
you can upload them when you advance significantly in the map to show the progress and ask feedback.

Melee Mapping contest #3 - 4 vs 4

the screenshot you can paste in the paint and then from there paste it here (in the post), you can edit the screen with many as I did. check my WIP.

FFA and 4V4

theme was decided by poll, 3rd Melee contest poll question
since contest started it can´t be changed after launching the contest.
Some rules can be discussed and maybe changed others not.
Since the contest already s 4v4 it can´t be converted now to 8 FFA, or other category.

(My set explain will contradict some of your statements about the 4v4 concept)
4v4 gives much more freedom, while FFA is very exigent since every player must be balanced, simetry x8 and size must be big (never did the 8 size polygon, but I did the 6 size hexagoon and it takes more than 160x160 editor size.)

If you do a 8 player FFA like the 8 side polygon it will work also as 4v4.
The thing is that for an 8 FFA you need more size. A 4v4 can be done in smaller size, mine is 146x130.
the theme is 4vs4 in my case my map won´t do for FFA, but maps will be judged as 4v4, that means that teams are balanced.

upload_2018-12-5_20-13-14.png

If the theme is EUROPE and you do Spain, is ok because Spain belongs to Europe.

So if you do a 8 FFA it can be played as 4v4, but not all 4v4 can be played as FFA.

Theme is 4v4 so 8 FFA are allowed and can be done and work for 4v4.
(same thing for 2v2 x 2v2 they can be played as 4v4)

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 6
Your logic about this doesn't really get me because I think the 8 FFA is the large circle. 4v4 can't be played by anything else except 4 people in a team against other 4 people in the other team.
But if you say 8 FFA is allowed then I will choose this option because it's easier for me and I find it more casual.

Level 29
Your logic about this doesn't really get me because I think the 8 FFA is the large circle. 4v4 can't be played by anything else except 4 people in a team against other 4 people in the other team.
But if you say 8 FFA is allowed then I will choose this option because it's easier for me and I find it more casual.

"I think the 8 FFA is the large circle."

100% agree with that because simetry must be x8, all must be equal for all 8 players

while like in the map I am doing that won´t do as FFA because players are to near each, but thats part of the fun in a 4v4

if you do the 8 polygon (circle), it also can be played as teams battles.

upload_2018-12-6_7-18-46.png

or with random rotations
upload_2018-12-6_7-21-49.png

in a 8 FFA, it can be played as team battles, green can play against red. (the game option put teams together will put the players as near as posible so in a otogono / circle this will be the distribution.

players more far can assist the center players to hold on. and that stuff.

There are not much options for player distribution for 8 FFA,
the circle / octogon
the 2v2 x 2v2, two squares separated with a link with way gates,

having 15 maps looking as octogons can be boring.

with 4v4, the octogon can be done but also others distributions can be done, so more map diversity.

Level 14
"I think the 8 FFA is the large circle."

100% agree with that because simetry must be x8, all must be equal for all 8 players

while like in the map I am doing that won´t do as FFA because players are to near each, but thats part of the fun in a 4v4

if you do the 8 polygon (circle), it also can be played as teams battles.

in a 8 FFA, it can be played as team battles, green can play against red. (the game option put teams together will put the players as near as posible so in a otogono / circle this will be the distribution.

players more far can assist the center players to hold on. and that stuff.

There are not much options for player distribution for 8 FFA,
the circle / octogon
the 2v2 x 2v2, two squares separated with a link with way gates,

having 15 maps looking as octogons can be boring.

with 4v4, the octogon can be done but also others distributions can be done, so more map diversity.
:):D

Level 29
iVUfuH.png

I wanted to screenshot whole map but trees where disappearing from certain distance and creep camps looked weird and when i placed camera there was some big tree on screen.

great work guys!!, nice to see layouts so differents!.

Your words and wisdom surprised me a lot...

Level 9
A half finished part of my map as a WIP.

I'm working on a 4v4-only map. Because I think there is a reason why this contest's theme has been set to 4v4. If we were going to build an FFA, why bother to set it to 4v4? Why make a boring generic FFA when we can make cool 4v4s? My opinion though. So I totally agree with @Ragnaros17. At first I wasn't sure to take this risk, but now I'm more assured to follow my idea.

Added another screenshot.
This is only a fourth of the map (also unfinished)Untitled1.png Untitled.png

Last edited:
Level 4
Hello,

So this is my WIP 1.

The map is called 'Scar of Northrend' and is of size 180x180. The idea is that Illidan's spell with the eye of Sargeras opened a rift in the middle of the valley, revealing some buried treasures and parting the valley in two parts.

It's a 4v4 map only (no FFA), because the teams are positioned on different sides of the map and the starting locations are sometimes very close to each other.

The tiles used are currently from Northrend only, but some creeps are from Icecrown's glacier or submerged ruins.

Here are the visuals for one quarter of the map. Once this part will be redecorated (the current tiles wre used as a help to place the elements of the map and will be removed soon), the rest of the map will be obtained through mirroring of the current quarter.
Hive-WIP1.png Hive-WIP2.png

The map as a whole will follow roughly this pattern :
Hive-WIP3.png with the orange crosses representing the starting locations and the white lines representing the main paths through the map.

The map will contain 8 natural expansions, 2 disputed expansions, 4 mercenary camps, 4 taverns, 4 fountains of health, 4 gobelin laboratorys, 4 gobelin shops, 2 markets and a blue dragon nest.

I've also added some 'close-up' screenshots :
Hive-WIP4.png Hive-WIP5.png Hive-WIP6.png

I've been trying a few things I would like to hear some feedback about (if you have any).
- By nature, the shape of the starting locations exposes one player of the team in particular. To help defend a siege, I added a small entrance in the back of his mine to allow quicker reinforcement from its allies. Of course, I've made the entrance so that it can be walled off by one supply building. I considered it an advantage in case of siege because the allies won't have to pass through the siege to help to the defence... but is that really a plus or just one more entrance to wall off at the beginning of the game :eek: ???
- I've used an infamous formula to determine the drops of the creep camps : Total level of the creep camp = 4 * (level of the consumable dropped + level of the permanent dropped) + level of the tome dropped . Is that completely imbalance ? (if I check with blizzard maps, it looks ok to me, but maybe for competitive play it is total bullshit :/ )
- The map basically revolves around high ground... Is it a well-known blasphemous idea to add lots of high grounds in a melee map ? :eek:

Level 29
Base map is done, now i need to just balance it.

that was fast!!, and also it looks awsome!!
Hello,

So this is my WIP 1.

The map is called 'Scar of Northrend' and is of size 180x180. The idea is that Illidan's spell with the eye of Sargeras opened a rift in the middle of the valley, revealing some buried treasures and parting the valley in two parts.

It's a 4v4 map only (no FFA), because the teams are positioned on different sides of the map and the starting locations are sometimes very close to each other.

The tiles used are currently from Northrend only, but some creeps are from Icecrown's glacier or submerged ruins.

Here are the visuals for one quarter of the map. Once this part will be redecorated (the current tiles wre used as a help to place the elements of the map and will be removed soon), the rest of the map will be obtained through mirroring of the current quarter.
View attachment 311205 View attachment 311206

The map as a whole will follow roughly this pattern :
View attachment 311207 with the orange crosses representing the starting locations and the white lines representing the main paths through the map.

The map will contain 8 natural expansions, 2 disputed expansions, 4 mercenary camps, 4 taverns, 4 fountains of health, 4 gobelin laboratorys, 4 gobelin shops, 2 markets and a blue dragon nest.

I've also added some 'close-up' screenshots :
View attachment 311208 View attachment 311209 View attachment 311210

I've been trying a few things I would like to hear some feedback about (if you have any).
- By nature, the shape of the starting locations exposes one player of the team in particular. To help defend a siege, I added a small entrance in the back of his mine to allow quicker reinforcement from its allies. Of course, I've made the entrance so that it can be walled off by one supply building. I considered it an advantage in case of siege because the allies won't have to pass through the siege to help to the defence... but is that really a plus or just one more entrance to wall off at the beginning of the game :eek: ???
- I've used an infamous formula to determine the drops of the creep camps : Total level of the creep camp = 4 * (level of the consumable dropped + level of the permanent dropped) + level of the tome dropped . Is that completely imbalance ? (if I check with blizzard maps, it looks ok to me, but maybe for competitive play it is total bullshit :/ )
- The map basically revolves around high ground... Is it a well-known blasphemous idea to add lots of high grounds in a melee map ? :eek:

If that back entrance can be exploited the enemy, kill the peons, then that user is done for.
In bases I would sugest to be standard and do it with 1 entrance and walling option (with buildings) since that is necesary to survive.

this is my formula
Green creeps level 3-6: power up only
Green creeps level 7-9: permanent level 1 only
Orange level 10-14: permanent level 2 (avoid teleport staff) or some charged level 2 (avoiding electric wand and sentry wards)
Orange level 15-19: permanent level 3 or charged level 3, power up level 1 or 2 (avoid experience tome)
Red level 20 or above: permanent level 4-5 or 6;, charged level 4-5 or 6 power up level 2 ( maybe with also tome of experience)
for 1vs1, I heard of a limit level 26, is good to have it in mind.

Consider this the level of the creep is no enough to decide the loot, unit skills and amount of units also will influence the dificult of a creep

as example the dragon level 6 is more dangerous than a polar bear level 6.
ensnare is more dangerous than slow.
poison is bad for orcs.
creeps without mana or spell inmunity are bad for NE and the deamon hunter.

A creep level 19 can be better than a level 22 depending on the units used.

- The map basically revolves around high ground... Is it a well-known blasphemous idea to add lots of high grounds in a melee map ? :eek:[/QUOTE]
On the good side, limits the scouting option: example: put the goblin market in a hole, so if you put a farm you don´t see above.
On the bad side, avoid towering advantage (this is not like strarcraft were you have the cliff the bunkers, the siege tanks and you hold on), a good idea is to put unbuildable tiles in the ramp and a bit above and avoid parts where you can put a tower and the enemy cant get access, a lot of ramps should help.

by the way map looks awsome.

@Mr.Henci

Please check @Khaldaiel WIP link, it seems is not properly linking to his wip, instead it links to page 4.

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
From what I've seen so far the maps look good to great.
One thing I'm slightly worried about is that some of the areas look too very narrow for 4v4. It is no fun if in a big fight, half of the players cant get their armies into a fighting position becase they are blocked by trees, cliffs or whatever else. If you look at the 4v4 maps in the current batle net map pool, then most of the paths/corridors are much wider than on 1v1 maps, so that full scale 4v4 fights are possible more or less everywhere on the map.

Level 3
Good luck to all participants for this new contest !

P.S : For those who participated in the last 1v1 mapping contest, the 1v1 cup that I mentioned is now confirmed and will take place on 16th of december.
Players can register here : Warcraft III 1on1 Mapping Contest Cup #2 Europe | ESL Play
Latest versions of the maps should be used, let me know if that is not the case.
(I post it here because the thread of the previous contest seems to be closed now)

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
My first WIP:
4v4ContestStart.png
Good luck to all participants for this new contest !

P.S : For those who participated in the last 1v1 mapping contest, the 1v1 cup that I mentioned is now confirmed and will take place on 16th of december.
Players can register here : Warcraft III 1on1 Mapping Contest Cup #2 Europe | ESL Play
Latest versions of the maps should be used, let me know if that is not the case.
(I post it here because the thread of the previous contest seems to be closed now)
Great news, and thanks for the remainder!

Last edited:
Level 29
Level 4
entries.png

Please post if you plan to participate! You may start working on the map any time between the start date (December 1st) and the finish date (January 12th). There is no penalty for those who join late.

Participant
WIPFinal Entry

1. @Knecht
--------------------

2. @mafe
--------------------

3. @JaleVeliki
--------------------

4. @Mr.Henci
--------------------

5. @Rockstar356
WIP ----------

6. @Ragnaros17
WIP ----------

7. @Khaldaiel
WIP ----------

8. @fostaa
--------------------

9. @Ascrelle
--------------------

10. @Thanesh675
--------------------

11. @JSRGN
--------------------

12. @mmtt
WIP ----------

13. @Loner-Magixxar
WIP ----------

14. @Twilight
--------------------

15. ----------
--------------------

16. ----------
--------------------

17. ----------
--------------------

18. ----------
--------------------

19. ----------
--------------------

20. ----------
--------------------

DISCLAIMER:
Number of participants is limited (20 for now), thus if you decide to drop the contest, PLEASE make sure to state it so I can remove your name off the list.

Recommended Resources:
Hive - How To Create Melee Maps
Hive - Competitive Melee Map (Balancing Melee Maps)
Hive - Terraining Guide Megathread
Melee mapping - The reasons behind common aspects of competitive 1v1 maps
The Helper - Professional Melee Mapping Guide
r/wc3 - What Goes Into Making A Good 1v1 Melee Map?

Don't know if I'll find time, but I would like to join the contest. :)

Level 6
Hey guys,

My idea is "Burning Steppes" (name could possibly change later) and it would include a river of lava going out of our beloved Blackrock Mountain (northwest) and Dreadmaul Rock (southeast), and dividing the map into two fields.

Here are a few screenshots about my map. You can see the tiles I am using and the neutral units that are about to be placed later.
I think no need to mention that some things can be changed as a matter of balance.
I would upload more screenshots later...

WIP:

WIP 3.jpg

Last edited:
Level 20
@fostaa while your idea seems cool, maybe try to reconsider it. Dungeon tileset is one of the hardest to work with and you might find yourself strugling to fill the whole 4v4 map. If you can pull it off though, that would be an achievment.

Don't overuse the pathing blocked, you won't have space for trees. Use high variation + unbuildable tiles and definetly don't waste destructibles by putting blockers into the "out of boundaries" area.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

So what are the rules besides the general rules. What about map size or aesthetic or does it have to be 100% melee, no extra triggers? Is it 100% creator choice?

EDIT: nvm, I got my answer about custom triggers right here, I should of read more closely.
  • Triggers are not allowed.
  • For melee maps, any gameplay altering data may not be changed.
Does adding custom units that aren't directly controllable by players count as disqualification or not?
Like adding a tornado that wanders around.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

Ok. Got everything but the last edited question about custom units. They don't even have
to be custom, tornado isn't a custom unit, but making custom units would be beneficial.

For people still wondering. Warcraft 3 Itself differentiates between custom and melee maps. Melee maps has a special, melee map only, icon in the mappe selection screen. I think the requirements is something like:

Wc3 Melee Map Requirements:
- No custom object editor data
- No custom triggers/scripts
- No campaign units
- No Special Units
- No Imports
- No custom AI data
- Default Gameplay Constants
- Default Game Interface Data
- No fixed start, no custom forces, and no other custom player settings
- Only player Neutral Hostile and Neutral Passive can have pre-placed units

The editor itself will warn you when it is no longer considered "melee" when you try to save it.

Last edited:

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

For people still wondering. Warcraft 3 Itself differentiates between custom and melee maps. Melee maps has a special, melee map only, icon in the mappe selection screen. I think the requirements is something like:

Wc3 Melee Map Requirements:
- No custom object editor data
- No custom triggers/scripts
- No campaign units
- No Special Units
- No Imports
- No custom AI data
- Default Gameplay Constants
- Default Game Interface Data
- No fixed start, no custom forces, and no other custom player settings

The editor itself will warn you when it is no longer considered "melee" when you try to save it.

Yes, you're right. I was asking the basics before I commit to an idea.

@The_Silent the problem is however, different language versions of W3 will register different maps as melee/custom thanks to language used in the map. (Melee trigger and Player names being the ones I know cause a problem.)

Well, should probably put a compiled list of requirements in the first post.

Level 29
@fostaa while your idea seems cool, maybe try to reconsider it. Dungeon tileset is one of the hardest to work with and you might find yourself strugling to fill the whole 4v4 map. If you can pull it off though, that would be an achievment.

Don't overuse the pathing blocked, you won't have space for trees. Use high variation + unbuildable tiles and definetly don't waste destructibles by putting blockers into the "out of boundaries" area.

I sugest @fostaa to mix the dungeon tileset with some outland red buildable terrain, that should do for buildable areas.

Underground tileset and dungeon tileset are like twins, they have the same rocks, instead of lava ice , but the same pattern, and same cliff pattern.

I did like 5 dungeon maps, if you need ideas, you can have an eye on them.

good luck

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
Well, should probably put a compiled list of requirements in the first post.
It isnt easy to produce such a list. Also, while the world editor says that the map isnt melee because of the melee initialization trigger being in a different language, the game itself still considers the map to be melee nevertheless. Iirc there are also 1-2 other problems which cause the world editor to say (in the bottom right) that the map isnt melee, but in fact it still is melee. I cant remember which those "problems" were, however.
From my experience, the clearest indicator of a map being a full melee is: Play the map, and if the tavern has all 8 heroes, then the map is melee and techincally acceptable for ladder.

Level 5
It isnt easy to produce such a list.

List of rules for melee maps (breaking some of this rules won't set your map to custom).
- No Object editor
- No Trigger editor
- No Sound editor
- No AI editor
- No Object editor
- No Import Manager
- No change to Gameplay Constants
- No change to Game Interface
- No campaign units, Special units or Heroes placed on map
- No blight placed with terrain editor
- Map properties - options - "Hide minimap in preview screens" and "Masked areas are partially visible" not allowed and "Use terrain fog" not recommended.
- No changes to loading screen
- No "Fixed starting locations" and no changes in general to players (only amount of them)
- Changes to Scenario properties - "Forces", "Techtree", "Abilities" and "Upgrades" not allowed. "Ally priorities" are allowed
- No placed player units (buildings or heroes) only starting locations
- Each player needs 1 gold mine next to starting location (1 gold mine not 2)
- There should be trees nearby starting locations of players
- Some space around starting locations for buildings so players can build stuff
- Place orange camps on player starting locations (they will be removed automatically if is player slot is not empty)
- Fill out "Map Description"

Stuff that is allowed, but someone might ask:
- Modifying tilesets is allowed
- Random Groups are allowed
- Item Tables allowed
- Regions allowed (for way points Edit: it turned out that they are called Way Gates)
- Changes to gold amount in gold mines is alowed (if they are done properly no some random numbers, for example: red camps can have little more gold than orange)

Stuff that is allowed but makes it hard for you be taken seriously:
- Neutral passive player can use only Neutral passive units and Hostile passive player can use only Hostile passive units
- No items placed on map only from killing Neutral Hostile
- Neutral passive can't drop items on death
- At least 1 more gold mine per player for expansions (recommended more) and they must be guarded by orange camp (red camps can be used next to gold mines but not for
main and natural expansion.
- if you put loot items on banshees, if the banshee does possession, the loot is lost so not good idea
- No gaps between trees, small units can hide or even walk and pass a forest.

Stuff that can make your map better if you do it, but not required:
- At least 1 or 2 tavern should be on map (you can put more)
- There should be critters on map (for undead they like critters)
- Dont place patching blockers outside of map they have no effect outside of map

Stuff not worth doing or made useless by previous rules:
- Campaign editor obviously
- Cameras are uselles in melee maps

There you go, Enjoy

Last edited:
Level 29

- No Object editor
- No Trigger editor
- No Sound editor
- No AI editor
- No Object editor
- No Import Manager
- No change to Gameplay Constants
- No change to Game Interface
- No campaign units, Special units or Heroes placed on map
- No changes to gold amount in gold mines
- No cameras I mean you can't use them anyway
- No blight placed with terrain editor
- Map properties - options - "Hide minimap in preview screens" and "Masked areas are partially visible" not allowed and "Use terrain fog" not recommended.
- No changes to loading screen
- No "Fixed starting locations" and no changes in general to players (only amount of them)
- Changes to Scenario properties - "Forces", "Techtree", "Abilities" and "Upgrades" not allowed. "Ally priorities" are allowed
- No placed player units (buildings or heroes) only starting locations
- Neutral passive player can use only Neutral passive units and Hostile passive player can use only Hostile passive units
- Neutral passive can't drop items on death
- No items placed on map only from killing Neutral Hostile
- No campaign editor obviously
- Dont place patching blockers outside of map for your own good.
- Each player needs 1 gold mine next to starting location (1 gold mine not 2)
- At least 1 more gold mine per player for expansions (recommended more) and they must be guarded by orange camp (red camps can be used next to gold mines but not for main and natural expansion.
- There should be critters on map (for undead they like critters)
- At least 1 tavern must be on map (I recomend at least 2 or more)
- There should be trees nearby starting locations of players
- Some space around starting locations for buildings so players can build stuff
- Place orange camps on player starting locations (they will be removed automatically if is player slot is not empty)
- Fill out "Map Description"

Stuff that is allowed, but someone might ask:
- Modifying tilesets is allowed
- Random Groups are allowed
- Item Tables allowed
- Regions allowed (for way points)

There you go, Enjoy

There are tutorials and others things called melee knoledge wich is pretty much wide. There is not such thing as list wich can cover all.

Items drops must be balanced.
-A creep level 8 can´t drop a powerfull permanent level 6.
-Aggro (go from A to B and creeps in a place C target you) is bad and is considered a bug.
- dont put 2 different creeps to near, even if they are separated by cliff, if they are too near they get linked and you will be attacked by the other creep.
- don`t put loot items on banshees, if the banshee does possession, the loot is lost.

" - No changes to gold amount in gold mines"

eehh what?

you can have golmine gold of 12000,, 13000, 14000, 15000
Red creep goldmines tend to have a bit more gold than the goldmines defended with orange ones.
More hard is the goldmine more gold as reward.

Level 9
no, thats not allowed in melee maps.

I sugest you to read tutorials, see Blizzard maps or others melee maps, read reviews of those maps to learn.

I've done so, but I hadn't seen anyone mention anything about this. OK. Then I scrap the idea. Thanks.

Then what about passive buildings?

I'm just trying to make sure that I don't violate any rules.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Level 5
There are tutorials and others things called melee knoledge wich is pretty much wide. There is not such thing as list wich can cover all.

-Aggro (go from A to B and creeps in a place C target you) is bad and is considered a bug.
- dont put 2 different creeps to near, even if they are separated by cliff, if they are too near they get linked and you will be attacked by the other creep.
- don`t put loot items on banshees, if the banshee does possession, the loot is lost.

" - No changes to gold amount in gold mines"

eehh what?

you can have golmine gold of 12000,, 13000, 14000, 15000
Red creep goldmines tend to have a bit more gold than the goldmines defended with orange ones.
More hard is the goldmine more gold as reward.

I am just trying to cover some base rulles so every one will be on same page, if someone reads my and your post they will have pretty good idea of what to do

You Can change gold amount in mines? I have never nocited that, how offten it is used in blizzard maps?

We should write Basic rules anyway so there wont be pages of questions and confused people unsure of what they can do.

Last edited:
Level 6
-A creep level 8 can´t drop a powerful permanent level 6.

What? Why not? A matter of fact level 6 aren't even that powerful. A Mask of Death and a Crown of Kings are nice to possess but level 6 is still something normal to have.

Also, if we put a Marketplace(s) and someone kills a monster that drops ANY level item, the Marketplace will start announcing same level of items for sale.

It's always been easier to actually buy the item from the Marketplace, once someone had killed a certain creep camp, rather than risking to take a large army to defeat the large creep camp, and in the meanwhile the enemy attacks my base (not saying I'm a coward or something but sometimes this is a strategy for the moment).

EDIT: Or did you mean that the items must drop respectively to the creep level?

If that's so, then it's more than obvious that need to be followed :D

Everything you posted it just guidelines, not rules though. A melee map can break all those guidelines and still be a melee map. It will probably be a bad melee map, but still a melee map. I was suggesting the literal requirements. The "must haves", not the"good to haves".

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

Okay, since the rules are those count me in. I will probably produce a WIP today

Level 14
These 'rules' are merely guidelines, not mandatory melee rules... you don't have to follow them:

-No changes to gold amount in gold mines
-At least 1 more gold mine per player for expansions (recommended more) and they must be guarded by orange camp

Status
Not open for further replies.