• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Kingdom of Lordaeron

Reactions: deepstrasz
hi guys,
i just finished my first map 'Kingdom of Lordaeron'.

General Information:
- 2 Player Map
- 86x86 Playable Area
- 4 green, 12 orange, 2 red creepspots
- 4 Expansions with 12500 Gold each
- 1 Tavern, 2 Merchs, 2 Gobos, 2 Shops

For my first map i tried to stay basic and balanced, same goes for the aesthetics. Lordaeron Summer Tileset is overused but its still the most enjoyable for competitiv Warcraft because its easy on the eyes.

The Map has all the usuall things like tavern, merchs, gobos and shops. It has a very close expansion for Human, enough creepspots for undead, aow creepspots for Elf and space for orcs.

The only thing i dont like its the size, could be a little bit bigger. Its equal to Secret Valley, which is really small aswell.

Have Fun.

Update 5.5.2019

- changed natural expansion creeps from lvl 16 to lvl 15
- turned murloc creep in the correct direction

This Map will get a total overhaul in the near future.
Contents

Kingdom of Lordaeron (Map)

Reviews
mafe
It's a very good map, especially considering this is your first map. I mean, you got a lot of feedback on reddit already, so I'm just gonna list a few things I noticed: -Humans can place a farm at southern merc camp, but not in the north. -At the...
deepstrasz
It's better to use campaign units as neutral than regular melee units. However, it would be best not to use buildings with attack as neutral since no neutral Warcraft III units has the capability of attacking. Maybe, you'd want to have a campaign...

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
It's a very good map, especially considering this is your first map. I mean, you got a lot of feedback on reddit already, so I'm just gonna list a few things I noticed:
-Humans can place a farm at southern merc camp, but not in the north.
-At the shops you get lvl 3+1 items from creeps that have a total level of 17, but at the labs you get 4+2 from total level 16, at the expansions it is 3+2 from lvl 16/18 and at the merc camps you get a 3+2 from lvl 14? That's kinda unusual in the sense that you would generally expect the strength of the rewards to increase with the strength of the crepps. But on the other hand the creeps at the lab look very nasty despite being overall relatively low in level, so not sure myself. Also, I didnt factor in that powerups are not as valuable as other items of the same level.
-Accidential unwalkable tiles at some ramps in the eastern half of the map (too lazy to take screenshots on new computer, sorry). Use "P" to check. This often happens if you change ramps too often.
-Countless of trees where wisps can be placed and melee units cannot attack them. You can avoid this by placing at most 7 trees at the time, using the size 2 tool. Place them so that there are no gaps between trees.
-Some creeps are facing in the "wrong" direction (see northern murlocs).

None of this is gamebreaking at a casual level, and I'm not even sure if I would suggest changing the items. But if you are aiming for higher level of melee mapping, most of this should be looked at again.

Also, we have started a melee mapping contest today, maybe you would be interested: Melee Mapping Contest #4 - 2v2

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
  1. It's better to use campaign units as neutral than regular melee units. However, it would be best not to use buildings with attack as neutral since no neutral Warcraft III units has the capability of attacking. Maybe, you'd want to have a campaign tower as neutral hostile instead :D
  2. The nearest mine creeps have low camp range instead of the highest. Towers and buildings might be built nearby without them attacking.

Approved

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
Description Guide - Melee Maps
Describing Your Melee Map
Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
Paillan
twojstaryjakcie
Daffa the Mage
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/

Level 12
=== GENERAL ===

I recommend naming the map like this: (2)KingdomOfLordaeron.w3x, without the blanks in between. It's the standard.

Destructible doodads like the gate on the bottom right side not very popular. People don't want to bother with removing such barriers. I can see that you placed it for the style, but I'd just remove it.
gate.jpg
Also, neutral buildings like the guard tower are normally avoided. They can be very irritating, and Pillage works on them as well.

You might want to add a little more gold to the mine that is guarded by the bigger creep camp. It's not a must though.

There are no trees near the tavern where NE could park a wisp to later buy a hero. It's a detail, but NE players will be annoyed.

I'm not a fan of the huge empty area in the center. You could add two more small islands with trees on them or so. What could be problematic is that on the sides, where all the action will occur, you have a lot of choke points. People might have problems maneuvering large armies through there in the late game, and the expansion would be a typical spot for big battles. However, I find this hard to be thought through in theory, better just have it play tested.
choke-points.jpg

What's more of an issue in my eyes is that the gold mine is pretty close to the starting position, so HU will have an easier time with occupying and defending it (even though it's harder to clear out than on other maps because lvl 15 is pretty big). Additionally, it's on high ground, so that'll make it easier to run from approaching armies and chasing them away if you get the upper hand. Again, this would be something for play testing, perhaps it works out fine.

You can safely purchase items from the shop even when standing on the low ground, during day time, and far away from the creep camp.
shop-2.jpg

I think the terrain would look more natural if the rough dirt were in the middle of the road.
terrain-1.jpg terrain-2.jpg
This is, of course, entirely a matter of taste.

=== CREEP CAMPS ===

The creep camps are, on average, too strong. The weakest one is level 6, which is already quite big. For the sake of having a list:

Here are two popular maps for comparison:

Secret Valley

Echo Isles
13 / 17 (center)

As you can see, they both offer a little more in the lower range. You're offering a lot in that "level item 3 drop" range (camp levels 14/15 through 17), but too little for starters. You can't get hero level 2 without killing a lvl 5 creep. I would probably weak the creep camp at the Goblin Lab or the Merc Camp.

Some camps are placed too aggressively. They will engage if you pass nearby. You should push them significantly behind the white line:
aggro.jpg

Creep camps at gold mines should always be set to "normal", not "camp". Otherwise, players can build towers nearby. And while on any other creep camps those towers would be wasted once the camp is cleared out, near a gold mine those towers would become part of the base and that would be just too good.
creep-camp-mine.jpg

Tome of Experience no longer drops from a random lvl 2 power up group so you no longer have to worry about that kind of thing.
tome-drop.jpg

Level 28 (creep camp in the corner) is massive and usually not featured in 1vs1 maps. Better cut it back to lvl 20-24.

Item drops are good, critters are good.

Level 12
thanks for the review cigaro :)
i am actually at work to make an updated version of this map. since it is my first one it has some flaws which you pointed out.

it will take some time since im working on another map at the moment but i will come to it.