• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hero Contest #4 - Animalistic Nature

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
Pokemon are not combinations of animals and something else. Sometimes they are entirely animal-based, for example, "Spearow", whom is simply a sparrow. These three Pokemon also have nothing to do with animals:
  • Abra
  • Kadabra
  • Alakazam

Level 9
Sooo some pokemon are no, while others yes? I would agree with that. i only want to use charmander, bulbasaur, squirtle, and pikachu, however, and the only one that is really questionable as an animal is bulbasaur, and that's just barely so. Anyways, the rules never specified that the animal had to be real.

Level 26
You could use Pokemon while not using pokemon.
Just use your concept and make "real" animals out of them.

On a side note: pokemon are more animal-like than those furry models some of you are using, as you could see them as the animals/pets on an alternate universe. Even a pokemon like Mr.Mime could be an animal. ( they could be relatives to humankind just like chimps)

Level 5
Does the animal theme include bugs and other smaller life forms too? (worms, colbries, ravens, you get my point).

In addition: Are mythical beasts such as yetis or dragons considered out of the range of the contest or are these considered 'animals or animal themed' too?
I'm tinkering around with some ideas, but have no clue what is in or out of the contest :eekani:

Level 16
The theme is Animalistic Nature. The hero does not have to be an animal. They are supposed to link traits of the animal world with human nature. Werewolves and vampires are perfect, they mirror the traits of humans (One shapeshifts, one is a permanent mutation), and they also have the traits of wolves and bats, respectively.

Level 18
Well now you're putting vampires and werewolves on the same level playing field, but in my opinion the two are grossly different in terms of animalistic nature. Werewolves fit the part far better than vampires would.

Rules said:
Contestants must create a hero with a concept linked with the world of animals. The hero must possess the basics of an animal and combine the key of human nature with the one of animal instincts.

A vampire isn't really linked with the world of animals, where as a werewolf is most definitely.

"The hero must possess the basics of an animal" - vampires do not possess any more basic animalistic properties than a human who is a cannibal.

Rules said:
and combine the key of human nature with the one of animal instincts

I think this needs to be re-written; "with the one of animal instincts" doesn't really make any sense. The contest rules need to be far more clear than this if anybody is going to be disqualified for non-theme submissions. Also the "key of human nature" needs to be explained in greater detail.

Level 9
Yes as long as it's an animal
And as for the vampire : We don't have to stick to the topic (myths,movie,etc) you know,get creative...vampires can turn into ponies and monkey can turn into an eagle,the rule does not limit you from those ideas and a vampire IS not a cannibal,unless a different kind of vampire that eats the flesh of the victim.You can't call anyone who has tasted blood even by a little amount a cannibal now...or can you? :p

Level 17
Agree with you beff, vampire maybe can shapeshift to a bat, but the bat it self doens't have it's nature anymore, it became a medium for the vampire to flee, or as a transport
Werewolves counted, because they are human, but when transformed, they retain both of humanity and the animalistic nature of the wolves

Level 17
They aren't linked..
See the werewolves?
They still retain their animalistic nature, but vampire?
I think no, the bat form usualy used as transportation and a flee mechanic for the vampire, and afaik, in bat form, vamps do not drink blood...
And i know that there's some kind of bat, that can act like vamps, they drink blood

Level 9
Okay,lets stop this discussion and talk about something else... Vampires bats...ever heard of them? they are a species of bat,a vampire is a human vampire bat,a werewolf is a human wolf,nuff said? Linked or not,stop trying to be clever about it and do the contest. As long as the hero has skills or looks that of an animal (reality),then it can be accepted if I'm not wrong.

Pokemons can be accepted, as they indeed reflect on animal elements. Pikachu wouldn't be accepted though, since it has electricity as the main ability power, which is out of question. In order to comprehend which animals are thought to be animals, their abilities must be realistic. There are some animals that have electrical shocks as a power in real life (electric eels), but lightnings of electricity? That's very fictional.
Werewolves are creations of folk myths, I don't see why fantasy from a specific cartoon series can't be accepted, but pick your pokemon wisely.

As for vampires, unless they are actual bats, they can't be accepted.

Level 3

Kithera the Furious
Tigerlord

Pic.jpg

Model thanks to Frankster

In days of old, there was a small tribe who made their home in lush jungles.
They lived peacefully, until an intruding force of men threatened to destroy their way of life.
These intruders wore armor of strange metal, and seemed impervious to the crude weapons that the tribe possessed.
The hunters and warriors of this tribe prayed to their deities for strength
and assistance to defeat their would-be conquerors...
And they answered. Thus, the tigerlords were brought into existence.
Led by Kithera the Furious, these humanoid tigers were known to embrace their primal urges even
before they were gifted with these celestial
bodies.
Not much is known about the battles that occurred beneath the canopies of the jungles, but there are
still skeletons of the defeated invaders, great gouges where fang and claw have struck.

Name: Ravaging Blows Lord of the Jungle Primal Fury Overwhelming Lacerations
Icons:
PASrupture.jpg
BTNTigerosh.jpg
PASBTNReincarnation.jpg
BTN_CR_Bladestorm.jpg
Ability Description: Kithera is known for her fury, in and out of combat, but moreso in combat.
Each attack made on the target digs deeper and deeper. If a unit dies
while under this effect, it is ravaged, demoralizing enemies
nearby by causing significant damage to them.
Level 1 - 1x bonus damage, 50 ravage damage.
Level 2 - 2x bonus damage, 65 ravage damage.
Level 3 - 3x bonus damage, 75 ravage damage.
Kithera lets loose a blood-curdling roar that causes nearby enemy units
to shiver in fear, and lose their will to fight. Lasts 16 seconds.
Level 1 - 25% attack damage reduction.
Level 2 - 35% attack damage reduction.
Level 3 - 45% attack damage reduction.
Kithera and her nearby allies give in to their primal instincts,
giving bonus damage to their attacks.
Level 1 - Increases base damage by 15%.
Level 2 - Increases base damage by 25%.
Level 3 - Increases base damage by 35%.

(Ultimate Ability)
Kithera hurls herself into
an overhwhelming
twister of destructive force for 9 seconds,
rendering her immune to magic
and lacerating all nearby enemies, dealing 105 damage per second
to all enemy units nearby.
Credit for icons: CRAZYRUSSIAN, dansaDisco, Mr.Goblin
This is a WiP, not a final entry, which will be submitted when finished.

Stuff yet to do:

Test map and such.
Balancing the hero.

Thanks

Level 22
Poodercakes used the model I looked at before I realized I couldn't join :)

Ravaging Blows looks like DOTA scorpion passive.

Else I like it, a part from OE abilities they seem to fit well. Although the tiger icon needs a recolor :D

EDIT:

WHEN DID GENERAL FRANK CHANGE HIS NAME?! :(

Poodercakes used the model I looked at before I realized I couldn't join :)

Ravaging Blows looks like DOTA scorpion passive.

Else I like it, a part from OE abilities they seem to fit well. Although the tiger icon needs a recolor :D

EDIT:

WHEN DID GENERAL FRANK CHANGE HIS NAME?! :(

Yeah, don't worry about recoloring and stuff; they might score a bit better in aesthetics, if the set of abilities have mutual colors, but these heroes are compared to the melee gaming ones, where almost no hero has a color harmony in their skillset.

Level 30
So the most important pointing system for this contest doesn't depend in the spells or the models but on how you create or visualize the hero? just want to know because my triggering abilities sucks like hell so I don't know if I'm capable in competing with this ):

Level 22
Well if they didn't do any coding how could they gain points in that area?

Seems that all that cannot code will loose at max 15,6% of the maximum score. That's almost a 1/6 of the score result.

10 points = coding score
45 points = total score

10/45 = 0,2222222222222222222

Only 70% of the judge points count anyway so

0,2222222222222222 * 0.7 = 0.155555555555555555555 = 15,6%

or did my awesome math skills fail totally

Anyway why am I the one that is complaining, I'm not even participating.

Level 29
===UPDATE===

Hero Name: Jastra, the dark elf
Description: not yet :)

Spell 1: Locust Raid

Jastra throws a magical bottle that has locusts inside. When the bottle breaks, the angry locusts follows and attacks nearby random enemy units. The locusts cannot be controlled by anyone.
If the targeted unit dies, then Jastra can control it. Number of locust depends on how many enemies in the AoE.
|cffffcc00Locusts damage 2-3.|r

|cffffcc00Level 1|r - Maximum of 4 locust, lasts 6 seconds
|cffffcc00Level 2|r - Maximum of 6 locust, lasts 10 seconds
|cffffcc00Level 3|r - Maximum of 8 locust, lasts 14 seconds
Spell 2: Twin Wolves

NOT YET
Spell 3: Enchanted Bottles (Passive)

Gives a chance to deal an Area of Effect poison damage when Jastra casts her Locust Raid spell.

|cffffcc00Level 1|r - 5% chance, deals 40 damage
|cffffcc00Level 2|r - 10% chance, deals 60 damage
|cffffcc00Level 3|r - 15% chance, deals 80 damage
Spell 4 : Forbidden Wrath (Ultimate)

NOT YET

I'm not really a fan of importing things, so I better stick to the normal units...
167625-albums4053-picture48423.jpg

167625-albums4053-picture48424.jpg

167625-albums4053-picture48425.jpg

Last edited:
Level 18
Okay but in dismissing the "argument" you completely ignored my point. It really doesn't matter whether vampires are going to be allowed or not but there is no way anybody can be dismissed from the contest (disqualified) if the rules are as vague as they are now. Anybody could argue that almost any tangent of this theme is acceptable.

Berb said:
Originally Posted by Rules
Contestants must create a hero with a concept linked with the world of animals. The hero must possess the basics of an animal and combine the key of human nature with the one of animal instincts.
A vampire isn't really linked with the world of animals, where as a werewolf is most definitely.

"The hero must possess the basics of an animal" - vampires do not possess any more basic animalistic properties than a human who is a cannibal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rules, Specifically
and combine the key of human nature with the one of animal instincts
I think this needs to be re-written; "with the one of animal instincts" doesn't really make any sense. The contest rules need to be far more clear than this if anybody is going to be disqualified for non-theme submissions. Also the "key of human nature" needs to be explained in greater detail.

The fact that everybody just pooled together and decided vampires were okay just proves my point. This isn't clear enough to have any solid line where certain submissions would not be allowed and some would. As long as you can argue that in some way there is some form of relationship at some point in time with an animal.

But with that said, I still don't have any inspiring ideas.

Level 16
@Berb, an interesting viewpoint that I would agree with under most circumstances, but since concept and synergy equal a whopping 20 points out of 45, and those two basically see how well the hero fits the theme and how well the heroes abilities fit the theme, we can be assured that a contestant that only "loosely" fits the theme will lose upwards of ten points and not win.

Level 17
Synergy is how the spells work together not based on the theme, you could have a 10 in synergy but a 0 in concept. Concept relies on if the hero itself fits into the idea of animalistic. Synergy is the spells, do the spells work together? or do you have 4 spells that have completely no advantage if used in chain.

Synergy is how the spells work together not based on the theme, you could have a 10 in synergy but a 0 in concept. Concept relies on if the hero itself fits into the idea of animalistic. Synergy is the spells, do the spells work together? or do you have 4 spells that have completely no advantage if used in chain.

That (the bold text). If someone doesn't fill in the proper proportions concept-wise, they won't be disqualified, but they will score low points in the Concept criterium, nothing more, nothing less.

Status
Not open for further replies.