• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hero Contest #4 - Animalistic Nature

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 20
Are you going to surrender to WoW's lore or the real Greek mythology? ;p
By the way, I did make a mistake in rules, I meant to use "or" between the basics of an animal and the human nature/animal nature. As I said in a previous post of mine, you can make a pure animal as well. I left human nature untouched, so that you don't feel too limited.
So we can make a hero based on an animal without any connection to humans? :O
If so, i'll probably participate since i didn't really have an idea for the original theme.

So we can make a hero based on an animal without any connection to humans? :O
If so, i'll probably participate since i didn't really have an idea for the original theme.

Just so I don't get misunderstood or considered to change the rules, I did mention it in the first page:

You can do anything, from a human, capable of transforming themselves into an animal or a hero that is a pure animal, e.g. a cat, a dog, a wolf, a bird, a lion, a tiger, anything.

I will repeat it though, this is not a rule change, I just let human nature free for implementation, so that you have more options to work with.

yes shes kinda imba and why don't she have a theme to go with,whats with healing,lightning,wind and melee altogether ?

huh she is balanced very well trust me the lightning talon is nothing compared to the spells like flame strike, drain life, black arrow, chain heal and many of that sort. She is supposed to be solo mercenary hero and if you have for one second played WoW you would know that ALL her abilities are listed as NATURE MAGIC.

Level 49
This is Warcraft III, not WoW.
Nature Magic or not, she has 3 damage spells(1 of which is also a debuff) and 1 healing spell. It seems like a very strange combination, to be honest. This would work for like... A shaman in WoW or something, but not for a WC3 hero. If you look at WC3 abilities, you'll notice that very few heroes have three abilities that directly deal damage.

Infinate, usually.

Here is some data from Flamestrike and Blizzard:

Flamestrike
Level 1 Damage: 159
Level 2 Damage: 276
Level 3 Damage: 378
Blizzard
Level 1 Damage: 180
Level 2 Damage: 320
Level 3 Damage: 500

Note: This is delt to a single target, assuming no max damage.

Edit: Actually, with the new revisions I think that my hero will have around 17 spells, and yes they are either passive, or you click on them.

Edit 2: Poorcakes, are any of those spell triggered?

Last edited:
Level 9
Beef! we do have a similar ability! And it is a little imba at the moment (i don't want to mess with it until my last ability is set in stone). However, I believe I win, because my ability is a tactic actually used by wolves :). They target the legs first to disable their prey.

Level 17
This is Warcraft III, not WoW.
Nature Magic or not, she has 3 damage spells(1 of which is also a debuff) and 1 healing spell. It seems like a very strange combination, to be honest. This would work for like... A shaman in WoW or something, but not for a WC3 hero. If you look at WC3 abilities, you'll notice that very few heroes have three abilities that directly deal damage.

I'd like you to refer to this section of the rules:

• The hero must have a total of 4 skills. You can use any combination, all passive, all active, three active and one passive, anything, as long as it offers a creative approach to the play style. However, the three of them must be regular, while one of them must be an ultimate, gained at level 6, just like default Warcraft III.

Sure it may seem cheap what he/she's doing, but hey it's a different approach to the play style.
Let them do what they want with it.

Level 17
Sorry if im miss-interpreting this but if she was very young when they died, vowing to avenge them doesnt seem liable, and if she joined a hunting order she couldnt have been THAT young. But since lore has no connection to the contest, it doesnt matter if you fix it or not just stating my opinion lol

Level 29
Sorry if im miss-interpreting this but if she was very young when they died, vowing to avenge them doesnt seem liable, and if she joined a hunting order she couldnt have been THAT young. But since lore has no connection to the contest, it doesnt matter if you fix it or not just stating my opinion lol

being very young doesnt mean that she is still an infant or doesnt know things that has happened into her life...

Level 16
Beef! we do have a similar ability! And it is a little imba at the moment (i don't want to mess with it until my last ability is set in stone). However, I believe I win, because my ability is a tactic actually used by wolves :). They target the legs first to disable their prey.

So does mine lol. Did you read the whole "Tears out the hamstring" thing? Well you know what they say, great minds think alike :ogre_hurrhurr:

Zeatherann said:
Some fun facts on my hero: uses thus far 9 custom units, 24 custom spells, and 1 custom buff...

But only one trigger to copy over...

Just remember, quality over quantity is sometimes better :D

Pharoah_ said:
You can do anything, from a human, capable of transforming themselves into an animal or a hero that is a pure animal, e.g. a cat, a dog, a wolf, a bird, a lion, a tiger, anything.

I don't know how I feel about this one. I think pure animal entries/animal morphing will have the edge due to pop-culture familiarity. The popularity of animorphs, pokemon, and even twilight (fuck that book, vampires aren't gay sparklers) will allow people to just take the most common conception of those ideas and basically steal it, no orginiality. Heroes that are styled more like the beastmaster have less familiarity coupled with them, the concept of synergy with animals and the natural world is an ideal not as explored as shapeshifting. I know that my opinion isn't going to change anything, and I'm not trying to flame out or insult the creators of purely animal heroes, but I think my favorites will be the ones that are animalistic and primal yet still retain the human nature and the qualities associated, mainly intelligence and logic. I especially want to see someone create an animal tinker :)

This will be an interesting contest, what do we have so far, 8 dedicated entries? I'm going to post my second draft soon (with triggers)

I know that quality is the best, but i was just self reflecting on how many thing i have to use to make my hero work. Those numbers a bit low compared to the actual final values. Doing some touchups before a new WIP.

Edit: New update, spells polished off a bit, fully functional hero.

Some Stats:
  • 15 Custom Units.
  • 29 custom abilities.
  • 1 custom buff
  • 3 in 1 trigger.

Attachments

• FatherNature Final1.w3x
    112 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Level 17
Just wanted to inform you all that I changed my idea again, but this time I'm keeping with it. -> Contest Hero.

Very little has been done, don't expect anything good to come out yet.

I'd like you to refer to this section of the rules:

Sure it may seem cheap what he/she's doing, but hey it's a different approach to the play style.
Let them do what they want with it.

which part of solo hero do not you guys understand. It is a hero with abilities specificly designed to aid itself in the battle. exp: Demon Hunter, Mountain King, Blade Master, Dark Ranger, Tinker, Naga Sea Witch, Pitlord, Lich... and so. So Don Dustin you were kinda wrong because there are many heroes of this kind. Second I understand that this is a hero competition, not a modeling,icon,spell,skin or voice acting competition. It is about who will make best UNIT regardless of icon model or units voice(I would like pharaoh to confirm this as many users here seem to think that this all about making an perfect eye candy hero). I think that some of you are irritaded by my use of regular warcraft abilities and models, but they do fit in the theme,they are balanced and I would really appericiate if you woult stop mudslinging. Lightning Talon would be the same if I based it on Channel and edited it in trigger editor as it is now based on Aerial Shackles.

Level 49
Dark Ranger, Naga Sea Witch, Pit Lord and Lich are 'solo heroes'? Since when? Last time I checked, Lich was a supporting hero(Frost Armor much?).

Either way, NOT A SINGLE HERO has three purely damaging spells. That's overpowered. If used in quick succession, it will EASILY kill a level 10 hero. What's the point of that? Most spells in Warcraft 3 can kill a FOOTMAN with one hit, much less a hero. If you channel Lightning Talon for 10 seconds, you can deal 800 damage for the tiny cost of 150 mana, while disabling your enemy from moving. Then you just use Artic Winds for a bonus 230 damage. Low on health? NO PROBLEM! Just heal yourself using Flow of Northspring. And finally, if anyone is still alive after this massacre, just use Ferocious Lacerations, dealing a total of about 575 damage(I honestly have no clue how the hell does "followed by 60 damage per second followed by 35 damage per second. Lasts 15 seconds." makes sense).

I mean think about it. Mountain King has merely a skill that stuns, a passive that has a small chance to stun and a skill that slows, yet he's like an ultimate hero-killer. Your hero has 3 different skills that can be used just to kill a hero. It makes no sense. :/

Level 16
Champara Bros said:
huh she is balanced very well trust me the lightning talon is nothing compared to the spells like flame strike, drain life, black arrow, chain heal and many of that sort. She is supposed to be solo mercenary hero and if you have for one second played WoW you would know that ALL her abilities are listed as NATURE MAGIC.

Champara Bros said:
which part of solo hero do not you guys understand. It is a hero with abilities specificly designed to aid itself in the battle. exp: Demon Hunter, Mountain King, Blade Master, Dark Ranger, Tinker, Naga Sea Witch, Pitlord, Lich... and so. So Don Dustin you were kinda wrong because there are many heroes of this kind. Second I understand that this is a hero competition, not a modeling,icon,spell,skin or voice acting competition. It is about who will make best UNIT regardless of icon model or units voice(I would like pharaoh to confirm this as many users here seem to think that this all about making an perfect eye candy hero). I think that some of you are irritaded by my use of regular warcraft abilities and models, but they do fit in the theme,they are balanced and I would really appericiate if you woult stop mudslinging. Lightning Talon would be the same if I based it on Channel and edited it in trigger editor as it is now based on Aerial Shackles.

1. The contest is about animals, not nature. Nature magic, would in most peoples eyes, include things like entangling roots, healing wisps, etc. Those are not related to animals.

2. Stealing ideas from WoW will make you lose the contest. No one will think your hero is edgy or cool or original. They will just say "Another f***ing wow spell.

3. When you say "solo mercenary hero", I don't quite understand, you kindof contradict yourself. You said Don Dustin was wrong, but your evidence says he's exactly right. And having a passive that isn't AoE doesn't make it a self buffing hero, or as you refer to is as, a solo hero.

4. Eyecandy should be used to overall enhance the aspect of your hero. Being a SFX creator yourself you should understand the appeal of this. Why use the same old anims that have been kicking around the bucket when the contest almost prompts you to look up cool art?

5. People being irritated by 4 object editor spells would be understandable. They would rather see a cool and unique hero with awesome spells that make him memorable, versus the same spells we've had in every single warcraft game

6. If you receive "mudslinging" from multiple people, you might need to consider evaluating popular opinion and going over your hero. They aren't trying to coldcock you and make you lose the contest, they're giving helpful suggestions to help you succeed.

1. The contest is about animals, not nature. Nature magic, would in most peoples eyes, include things like entangling roots, healing wisps, etc. Those are not related to animals.

2. Stealing ideas from WoW will make you lose the contest. No one will think your hero is edgy or cool or original. They will just say "Another f***ing wow spell.

3. When you say "solo mercenary hero", I don't quite understand, you kindof contradict yourself. You said Don Dustin was wrong, but your evidence says he's exactly right. And having a passive that isn't AoE doesn't make it a self buffing hero, or as you refer to is as, a solo hero.

4. Eyecandy should be used to overall enhance the aspect of your hero. Being a SFX creator yourself you should understand the appeal of this. Why use the same old anims that have been kicking around the bucket when the contest almost prompts you to look up cool art?

5. People being irritated by 4 object editor spells would be understandable. They would rather see a cool and unique hero with awesome spells that make him memorable, versus the same spells we've had in every single warcraft game

6. If you receive "mudslinging" from multiple people, you might need to consider evaluating popular opinion and going over your hero. They aren't trying to coldcock you and make you lose the contest, they're giving helpful suggestions to help you succeed.

oh this is precious.
1. Contest is about hybrids. I made a harpy (Bird/Human)
She uses nature magic and I am fitting her into competition.

2. Stealing ideas from WoW. I am taking concept of WoW and working with actual spells. Other people are making abilities like cut, bite, bark, etc...
i could easily create a spell that would summon lightnings and do mayhem or i could use monsoon. i am practical person and I took real harpy abilities. I dont want to make ability rip which would deal more damage than firebolt, or regeneration which would heal as a healing spell. I made a nice blend of animal and human instead of Humanoid utilizing Nature magic to summon and transform into animals.

3. I have no idea of what you are talking about. You speak of me being wrong but you just confirmed my point. Solo Hero Is A Hero That has no supporting abilities and all his abilities help only him. (Was that hard to understand)
4. Exzagerated Eyecandy means overly done effects and putting too much strain on the eyes. I will not make a rip ability that will toss unit into atmosphere and then calculate fall damage. There is no harpy model on hive.
5. THIS IS NOT A SPELL COMPETITION !!! It is a hero competition. I am not posting editor spell in Spell section so theme is usefullness of a hero not customisity of his spells.
6. This is only thing where I agree with you, but I say do not knock it till you try it.

Level 49
1. Contest is about hybrids.
No it's not. It's about animalistic nature. A farmer who is tied with his cows and can use his cows to help him will fit. A forest ranger who can track beasts and 'charm' them to join his cause would fit. A dog who bites and barks would fit.

5. THIS IS NOT A SPELL COMPETITION !!! It is a hero competition. I am not posting editor spell in Spell section so theme is usefullness of a hero not customisity of his spells.

OBJECTION!
Judging Criteria said:
Coding | Is the hero bug and lag free? How well was the coding executed? | /10

4. Exzagerated Eyecandy means overly done effects and putting too much strain on the eyes. I will not make a rip ability that will toss unit into atmosphere and then calculate fall damage. There is no harpy model on hive.

OBJECTION, YOUR HONOR!
Judging Criteria said:
Aesthetics | How good-looking the hero is? How well their appearance is fitting with the icons? Are the tooltips self-explanatory? | /5

Level 16
oh this is precious.
1. Contest is about hybrids. I made a harpy (Bird/Human)
She uses nature magic and I am fitting her into competition.

2. Stealing ideas from WoW. I am taking concept of WoW and working with actual spells. Other people are making abilities like cut, bite, bark, etc...
i could easily create a spell that would summon lightnings and do mayhem or i could use monsoon. i am practical person and I took real harpy abilities. I dont want to make ability rip which would deal more damage than firebolt, or regeneration which would heal as a healing spell. I made a nice blend of animal and human instead of Humanoid utilizing Nature magic to summon and transform into animals.

3. I have no idea of what you are talking about. You speak of me being wrong but you just confirmed my point. Solo Hero Is A Hero That has no supporting abilities and all his abilities help only him. (Was that hard to understand)
6. This is only thing where I agree with you, but I say do not knock it till you try it.

Sigh. Lets get it ooooooon

1. Harpy is a mythical creature from Greek Mythology. Borderline. Giving her spells about lightning is past borderline.

2. "Borrowing" ideas has been an annoyance to the hive for forever, look at the fuckstorm of meathooks and kamehameha's we have. If you really feel that you're "enhancing" these ideas, you're doing it in the wrong way. You mentioned a point about balancing
I dont want to make ability rip which would deal more damage than firebolt, or regeneration which would heal as a healing spell.
Which is batshit because both Deolrin and I are on your case about balancing right now.

3. Your solo hero idea is . . . wrong

4. You mentioned making an ability and eyecandy in a comment about eyecandy. And an ability that makes a giant atmospheric toss would be pretty bad-ass to me. As far as effect spam, if you use effects sparingly it will look better than spamming the fuck out of default WC3 ones. Here's a link to a wonderful skin of the WC3 Harpy. It is pretty red, but it's ok for what you ahve in mind.
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...ome-blp-137156/?prev=search=harpy&d=list&r=20

5. I never said it was a spell competition, but seeing how 10/45 points are about CODING spells I'd assume you might not want to do 4 object editor spells.

6. Don't knock mudslinging till I try it? Wtf are u talking about? What I am supposed to try? Not helping you?

Like I said, we're not trying to wreck you or your hero. We're trying to help

Status
Not open for further replies.