• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Cinematic Contest #6 - 5 minutes free theme

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Would it be possible that those 150$ worth of steam cards could instead be donated to the Hive in the name of the winner? Some people like me don't use Steam so it'd be nice.
If the winner doesn't use Steam, I am sure we can figure something out. It's their money. We have not bought the gift card in advance as it depends on the winner's region. This also allows us to find a better solution together.

But of course, the winner is more than welcome to donate the award to the site if you he/she does not need the money :).

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Unusual that people are willing to pay so much to sponsor such a competition, especially at the rate the prize is inflating.

My concern is that due to the cash reward you will get 1-2 really dedicated people with any other more casual entrants not standing a chance.

Level 19
I want to participate too but this seems like itll be a very tough contest. And imo rather than giving 150$ to the first place, the money could be seperated. Idk how u'd do it but;

1. 80
2. 40
3. 30

as an example...

EDIT: Another question I've got is, are you going to judge by the ideas, plots, the thoughts that are used in the cinematic or are you going to just give the good coders a big boost just because they can create awesome looking things? I mean special effects are necessary in some situations but some of us are not capable of doing half of the work in the cinematic you've posted there.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
My concern is that due to the cash reward you will get 1-2 really dedicated people with any other more casual entrants not standing a chance.

I see no problem with that, though.

I want to participate too but this seems like itll be a very tough contest. And imo rather than giving 150$ to the first place, the money could be seperated. Idk how u'd do it but;

1. 80
2. 40
3. 30

as an example...

My honest opinion in short:
Nope, 150$ for first prize.

Level 16
Looks pretty cool. This might motivate me to make that Starcraft styled cinematic I've wanted to do. Hmmm :)

use music with a permitting license.

I wonder how strict the guidelines here are? Blizzard music doesn't always fit a given cinematic and gaining permission from reputable sources is unlikely. For these circumstances I wonder if the Fair Use policy applies? Our cinemtics are not going to be sold.

Level 16
I will be entering this.

Edit:
Question about:
The map will consist only of a “Cinematic Sequence” and not exceed five (5) minutes in length.

Define "Cinematic Sequence". This might clash with what I have in mind, as my little short story would progress over some time, with some montage kind of elements in it.

Last edited:
Level 31
Another question I've got is, are you going to judge by the ideas, plots, the thoughts that are used in the cinematic or are you going to just give the good coders a big boost just because they can create awesome looking things?
Just read the first post. Why people aren't reading it and starts jumping into questions?
Define "Cinematic Sequence".
I suppose 100% of game time must have Cinematic Mode On.

In my opinion first place boost is more motivational than the spread into 3. If it was spread, one might not have to try as hard to win something as I am almost certain there will be very little participants despite the big prize (hopefully more than 2), but I hope I am wrong. Because usually many people deem to be participating without evaluating how much it takes to make a cinematic, and in the end roughly 20% post their submittions (that's what happened in the last 3 or 4 cinematic contests).

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

No idea whether this is the best approach for the basic layout.
I guess I will create the atmosphere this way and make the little details with little doodads.

Attachments

• test.png
    test.png
    86.7 KB · Views: 143
Level 19
Just read the first post. Why people aren't reading it and starts jumping into questions?

I have read all of it before writing down anything. Please don't walk on somebody before thinking.

The rules say;
"Acting/dialogue" - are the characters believable? do their words/actions make sense?
"Plot" - is the story plain, or does it speak to the viewer, can the viewer relate?
"Cinematography" - this is a mix of terrain and cameras, the overall look of the motionpicture.
"Pacing" - how smooth and well-timed are the sequences.
"Creativity" - is this original?
"Entertainment" - was the viewer entertained while viewing, this is a bit subjective perhaps, but leaves room for a personal overall score on the film.

So what are the percentages of these? Which will have bigger importance thane the others?

Maybe I have an amazing scenario, but I lack the skills to make it. On the other hand someone can have a so-so scenario while making it look incredible by coding. You understand what I'm saying?

Level 21
50 dollars are like a fortune! well at least here in Africa!
True,and now that the price money is increased....wow
$150 is R2063.44!.Holy crap,I can upgrade my PC with that.....but I won't

1.I would keep it for more important stuff
2.I'm not participating

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Looks pretty cool. This might motivate me to make that Starcraft styled cinematic I've wanted to do. Hmmm :)

I wonder how strict the guidelines here are? Blizzard music doesn't always fit a given cinematic and gaining permission from reputable sources is unlikely. For these circumstances I wonder if the Fair Use policy applies? Our cinemtics are not going to be sold.

I totally agree!

You have WoW, the Warcraft games, the StarCraft games and the Diablo games. There should be some material you can use, considering you can mix them and alter them to fit your wishes.

Level 31
Maybe I have an amazing scenario, but I lack the skills to make it. On the other hand someone can have a so-so scenario while making it look incredible by coding. You understand what I'm saying?
There is no criteria that would exclude coding or special effects, that's what I meant and you can see it for yourself, you cited it after all. From criteria list it is very clear that it does not matter how good you are at Jass, maybe it falls under Entertainment criteria, but it can be entertaining even without extreme coding skills and massive special effects. Your incredible scenario falls under Plot, therefore it is more important than special effects. Usually criteria is split equally and shares the same percentage.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Hm, for me it shows both in the News and in this thread 150$ in the picture

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

I don't get it guys, may I use custom music of some other games as long as I mention all the rights and credits of them ?!
Blizzard's music won't really fit the idea I am thinking of.

No, you are not ( usually). Music form other games is copyrighted and you do not have a license to use it for public purposes, like this contest, no matter whether you bought it or got it as a gift or so on.
Only music from other Blizzard games is allowed.

Level 19
AProject said:
There is no criteria that would exclude coding or special effects, that's what I meant and you can see it for yourself, you cited it after all. From criteria list it is very clear that it does not matter how good you are at Jass, maybe it falls under Entertainment criteria, but it can be entertaining even without extreme coding skills and massive special effects. Your incredible scenario falls under Plot, therefore it is more important than special effects. Usually criteria is split equally and shares the same percentage.

My fear is, it is sure that you and some others that I dont know about will come up with super cinematics in coding, and im sure you are all creative enough to come up with good scenarios as well, but why the hell am i crying? idk :D I was just shouting out my concerns.

I don't get it guys, may I use custom music of some other games as long as I mention all the rights and credits of them ?!
Blizzard's music won't really fit the idea I am thinking of.

Say that to DMCA records or what the heck it is :D I got a few vids banned from youtube just bcz of copyright issues.

Level 7
I think some of you are putting too much emphasis on coding. You don't really have to be a good coder to make good cinematics. All the other elements are more important in my opinion. Terrain, very very much. Music, too. Custom models and animations. Camera work. Timing. Pacing. How it all comes together.

Sure, I think using a vJass system can help a lot with the timings because short waits in GUI triggers are inaccurate. But you don't have to be a coder to use a system, you only have to be a coder to write one, and that's already been done. And even if vJass scares you that much, you can still use timers instead of waits in GUI. It'll be messy, but it can be done.

And that's it, the only tricky part when it comes to coding a cinematic, the timings. The rest doesn't have to be that complicated. Sure, you can make a vJass spell with a hundred particles following complicated equations, but that won't make the scene awesome. What will do it is the setup, the tension you manage to build up with the music and the cameras, the close-ups, the way you compose character animations. You don't need brilliant coding for this, you need the patience and the drive to re-watch the same section over and over again, noticing new details that could be added or changed, tweaking the timings, speeds and durations so that one character animation flows better into another, so that cinematic events and camera changes sync up with the music. That's what making cinematics is all about.

Level 18
Hmh. This whole thing is very tempting (Well, money! Duh!). A pity I do not know a thing about coding, my camera work would be ugly.
And I am using a crappy microphone at the moment anyway, it would ruin everything with the noise. BZZZZT!

Such work this one. I am expecting some great entries here. But what if I will be disappointed? That's a really annoying feeling, to see how the participants were not as qualified as imagined, that makes one feel bad doesn't it.
Stupid, stupid.

And helping someone doesn't benefit one in any way.

Was thinking of adding some goodies to the prize pool, but I think there's enough Steam dick to offer for one contest - I call dibs on the next one.

Best regards - the most lovable creature on the site

[[ But I have to admit that this one has caught the attention of every nobody on this site for the very least. ]]

Level 9
i think some of you are putting too much emphasis on coding. You don't really have to be a good coder to make good cinematics. All the other elements are more important in my opinion. Terrain, very very much. Music, too. Custom models and animations. Camera work. Timing. Pacing. How it all comes together.

Sure, i think using a vjass system can help a lot with the timings because short waits in gui triggers are inaccurate. But you don't have to be a coder to use a system, you only have to be a coder to write one, and that's already been done. And even if vjass scares you that much, you can still use timers instead of waits in gui. It'll be messy, but it can be done.

And that's it, the only tricky part when it comes to coding a cinematic, the timings. The rest doesn't have to be that complicated. Sure, you can make a vjass spell with a hundred particles following complicated equations, but that won't make the scene awesome. What will do it is the setup, the tension you manage to build up with the music and the cameras, the close-ups, the way you compose character animations. You don't need brilliant coding for this, you need the patience and the drive to re-watch the same section over and over again, noticing new details that could be added or changed, tweaking the timings, speeds and durations so that one character animation flows better into another, so that cinematic events and camera changes sync up with the music. That's what making cinematics is all about.

nuff said!!!

Cokemonkey11

Spell Reviewer
Level 29
I was about to create something. But then I realized school starts and I will prioritize games instead of modding in my free time.

I reckon loads of people are in the same boat, including me. Show off your time management skills by finishing the whole entry before school starts ;)

I'm planning to have my finished product in 2 weeks, *if* I participate.

Status
Not open for further replies.