• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Campaign Contest #2 - War is everywhere [Deceased]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 30
A decent War3 campaign takes, if working super-hard, some three months to complete (at the very least). Those who haven't made massive progress already won't have a chance to finish on time.

Give this up.
To prove that you're wrong, Linaze, I am joining this contest. Yes, the deadline is roughly three days - enough for me.
Good luck to everyone else!

Level 30
I think because it's quite common, and you can't take a good payment in creativity and originality in here.

Anyways, I already finished two heroes and their skills which will be the main characters you will control. They are all custom, and I got some nice custom resources from the Hive.

My story is simple and mainstream, yet interesting:
The battle against the Scourge and the Night Elves has nearly came to an end: the undead wretches are winning! You will take place of young ranger, Lady Aphera, on a mission to draw back the assault, while her sisters seek a powerful artifact Aphera will need to defend her lands.

Sorry, I can't do much because of time limit, but I guess that if I still have some time left after the bases are complete, I might add a map or two more.

Level 8
It's hard to make a descent campaign with that theme. The theme is global, and you need to show it somehow, and for that you need a lot of time. If I started in time, maybe I could do it.

If the theme was something like "A goofy story" or "Once upon a time" you could easily make a short campaign. But with a global war theme, you need more than five chapters to develop your story.

I'm finishing the first chapter, and I'm not satisfied with the result :(...

Level 24
To prove that you're wrong, Linaze, I am joining this contest. Yes, the deadline is roughly three days - enough for me.
Good luck to everyone else!
If you mean that you'll start today (or yesterday if that's when your post was made), then you'll not finish a decent campaign by the deadline, it's as simple as that.

As for the theme, it wasn't weird as much as it was restricting.

Level 30
Just one question: are the interludes (Maps which can't be played, but serve for story only) counted in the 3 maps minimum rule?

Oh, and can someone tell me what's the deadline bounce for this contest? I'm afraid that I will be away from Serbia for a short period, and I am concerned that I can't place my entry exactly at 12:00. If it's 12:00 PM, then it's okay.

Also, is there any list with entries?

Level 30
Here's what I got so far; this is a WIP.

The campaign is called "Lunar War". You will control Lady Aphera, the Moonchant Ranger.

I was able to create only first chapter and an interlude, but since I am free from my weekend work and bindings, I will get this finished faster.

I am aiming for creating a campaign and polishing it, and clearing leaks if I have some time left.

Attachments

• Lunar War.w3n
    850.8 KB · Views: 47
Level 30
I need these answers, damn. I asked them twice already.

1. Interludes are not included in map count, even if there's one after each chapter?
2. Deadline bounce - how much time after preset deadline to upload?
3. Contest ends at AM or PM?
4. Who am I competing against? Any list of entries?

Level 17
Interludes count as cinematic maps so they are included.
2.- I cant answer that wait for pharoh to say xD
3. PM usually its 23:59
4. Ronojales and thats it

Me and Chrome have 4 terrains and a pile of units but no game inplace.
So i'll just upload what we got on the deadline we kinda gave up.

Level 24
You don't need future-vision, you just need basic knowledge of time and map-making. One does not make a decent campaign in about a week. If that was the case, I assure you we'd have a lot more decent campaigns in the map section.

I'm not trying to anger anyone here, I'm merely stating facts. Writing the script for a campaign alone can take months. And if it isn't story-heavy, then it A) sucks and B) is heavier on gameplay, thus that takes longer instead.

Level 8
come on, lezbefriends D:

i actually like the idea that Apheraz puts on her (i think she's a girl? dunno :p) effort to create an entry for this almost dying contest. somehow it's refreshing to see someone put on his time into this. and she's doing it alone at that too :]

but i agree with the fact too that making a campaign takes a pretty long time. making a good background story is hard, especially when we want to add twists to the story and making sure it doesn't contradict itself at any point. and put that story into a unique gameplay. well we're seeing months here.

i'm not really expecting Apheraz to put on a KoK-level-of-epicness campaign, but i'll believe that she'll be able to pull out something.

Level 30
I give up. After three days, all I got are two chapters and two interludes.

It appears that Linaze was right: you can't create a good campaign in a short period of time. But his statement are wrong: I had roughly 3 hours a day to work, and I was able to pull out something. Let me re-phrase:

You'll CAN finish a decent campaign by the deadline, even in three days, if you have time.

A short span of time killed my creativity, and my maps started to behave weirdly after some time, during to my absence of knowledge in creating campaigns.

But don't think that I will quit on this. You can expect me in the next contest.
Sorry for letting some of you down. I admit it: I rushed without thinking.

But I'm still a motivation to certain people. I got several messages where people told me "You made me work on my map, just because you stated that something can be done if one wants it."

Still, if anyone wants to see it, I will probably rework the map and upload it.

Sorry again. You won, Linaze. And about my dignity... dead.

Level 17
What me and Chrome made. :L

Attachments

• (1)Campaign2War_67chrome_FinalCastle.w3x
    6.6 MB · Views: 83
  • (1)Campaign2War_67chrome_City.w3x
    5.8 MB · Views: 79
  • (1)Campaign2War_67Chapter 2_Thecastle.w3x
    5.8 MB · Views: 64
  • Campaign Map Level 1 v1.1.w3x
    838.4 KB · Views: 52
Level 24
I give up. After three days, all I got are two chapters and two interludes.

It appears that Linaze was right: you can't create a good campaign in a short period of time. But his statement are wrong: I had roughly 3 hours a day to work, and I was able to pull out something. Let me re-phrase:

You'll CAN finish a decent campaign by the deadline, even in three days, if you have time.

A short span of time killed my creativity, and my maps started to behave weirdly after some time, during to my absence of knowledge in creating campaigns.

But don't think that I will quit on this. You can expect me in the next contest.
Sorry for letting some of you down. I admit it: I rushed without thinking.

But I'm still a motivation to certain people. I got several messages where people told me "You made me work on my map, just because you stated that something can be done if one wants it."

Still, if anyone wants to see it, I will probably rework the map and upload it.

Sorry again. You won, Linaze. And about my dignity... dead.
You put up a good fight against time despite all odds being against you. Impressive, inspiring and applaud-worthy.

Level 30
Well, I think that this already had one extension, so I won't upload it here.
Instead, after some more work, I will update it to the Map section.

Linaze, your comment surprised me. I thought that you would brag and be proud that you won.
You, instead, felt a part of my pain and congratulated me for what I did.

You are indeed a great person, as I heard.

Honestly I think extending this again till the end of 2011 would give Apheraz the option to finish his work, so we would at least have 2 entries and I think we could exceptionally let that pass. I really was against the idea of having so little time for a campaign contest :/

Edit: Yes Amargaard, I know Apheraz is a girl. But I'm used to writing he and his due to the major lack of girls on THW.

Last edited:
Level 8
and a reason why i didn't continue with the enhancements i started in my entry was because, other than Apheraz, there was not one who showed an interest in making an entry. and i think Pharaoh_ wouldn't want another extension where the previous extension was not that well received.

Status
Not open for further replies.