• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Campaign Contest #2 - War is everywhere [Deceased]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 38
Meeh, I hoped for more war oriented campaign.

Well. Honestly missed the whole "War is Every-ware" theme when i started making the map, and just started modeling an rpg around meh favorite games.

I'm thinking of having the first (tutorial-ish) map in my campaign be in the middle of a war zone though, were the main character is a commanding officer decked out with a bunch of RFC (Really F$%ing Cool) items that make killing stuff generally easier, fallowed by some mishap that causes her to start from square 1 in collecting new items.

In general I'm thinking about moving the campaign to less quite, creepy nightime adventures to more battlefield adventures.

It's just doing a map with a whole bunch of action seems a little challenging, i want to figure the scope of what I can do first.

On a somewhat related note to the whole war theme, I've been reading up on military ranks and it seems each rank commands about 3 men from ranks below them (In modern US military anyways, which is still mostly based on medieval military structures). And each grouping of men has a different name based on it's commanding officer, so:

a corporal commands 3 men in a fireteam (~4 men)
A Sergeant commands around 3 fireteams for a squad (~13)
A Lieutenant commands around 3 squads for a platoon (~40 men)
A Captain commands around 3 platoons for a company (or battery if it's artillery, or troop if it's calvery) (~121 men)

and any rank beyond that would be sort of hard to represent in one map, and would be more for the title itself than practical application of forces (and sort of varies with the time period)

I like the aesthetic of groups under corporals, sergeants, and lieutenants with those numbers though, definitely implementing it in my campaign somehow. Seems a lot nicer for camps of units than the Persian military's ranks system were each rank commanded 10 men from the rank below.

Level 17
In the british army it used to be different.

You had Private, Uknown Uknown ( i dunno), Sergant major, Officer, Company Commander, Colonel,Brigadier,--

Within the OFFICER rank there are 3 sub ranks. First/Second Lieutenant, then depending on group things like Warrant officer or just standard officer

Level 14
Heres the terrain of the first map. Its not finished and its not that great but eh.

Its basicly RTS but has some RTS elements. Some background fighting. I intend on having the other two missions which focus on the actual theme.

Oh well enjoy. They are all birds eye view shots

Attachments

• Terrain.PNG
    Terrain.PNG
    942.6 KB · Views: 149
  • Terrain2.PNG
    Terrain2.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 122
  • Terrain3.PNG
    Terrain3.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 105
  • Terrain4.PNG
    Terrain4.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 95
  • Terrain5.PNG
    Terrain5.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 94
That rock doesn't look like a life saver; they are too many to face and I am already under attack, before I realize that so many units have spawned. Use Pan Camera to update the camera to the new events. ;]

Will do :p
Also yeah I forgot to reset the camera at that point <.<

Worked on this for 40 minutes.
And yes, it's quite 'squary'.
(from third chapter)

Attachments

• ship.PNG
    ship.PNG
    939.3 KB · Views: 120
Level 13
I thought I might enter this contest.

Question, how do you set a camera to a certain view? Sorry I suck at triggers just gonna try my best.

Also here are some WIPs.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    996.9 KB · Views: 139
  • 3.png
    3.png
    891.8 KB · Views: 107
  • 2.png
    2.png
    999.6 KB · Views: 102
Level 17
Yup ^^. And if you want to do a custom zoom

Do that but set the height to entered chat string- Sub string. Then if command is
-zoom <number>

do the field of 7-11 for 4 digit zoom which is all that is needed aas zooms range usually from 2000-3500

Level 8
here's a few things i've done for the past month.
oh, yeah the terrain is not that mind-awe-able. i know :p
the first 4 pics are from the first map: Siege of Merlain
the next 2 are from the second map: Last Night Elf

a little meeting before the siege

Night Elves escaped from death

entrance of a besieged city

imprisoned Dryads?

boring Elven outpost

going to march against a trickster

can't upload the map yet, since i'm still adding a few touches to both maps, then will continue with the rest. hopefully will be done before the deadline XD

EDIT: wait, just to clarify things. it's already a month since this contest started right? so i'm right with the "past month"? XD

Thar we go:
Second cinematic (intro for the third chapter)
Due to me sucking at terraining, I would really appreciate some feedback on the terrain.
I'm rushing all the chapters now due to being lazy for a month and not actually doing anything. I think I still have to make 3 chapters, along with KayS also doing the same amount as me and THEN actually start polishing them.
Hmm I just noticed I've forgotten to add fog.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    220 KB · Views: 123
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    210.8 KB · Views: 81
  • Chapter3.w3x
    5.5 MB · Views: 90
Level 38
@ Pharaoh_: sounds pretty cool so far, I'm kinda jelly you're gonna have some cool sound bites in yours XD
Looking forward to see were you take that oriental-sounding character though.

@ ronojales: cool to see the screenshots, though you may want to consider replaceing the cityscape cliffs with doodads, I could never get cliffs to look right for walls or castles. The dirt looks a little mud-slidish to, perhaps you should switch it to a rockier tile.

@ Vengeancekael: Using a ship model seems like a good idea. I'd probably just take a screenshot of the top of the model and make one big pathing map based off of it though, moving all the little pathing blockers around something that generally obscures them can get kind of annoying.

Level 8
@67chrome
even i do to, about the cliffs. i usually place rocks for the cliffs on the most previous (not in this contest) map i made. but i don't know for now what to do with the city's walls so i stick with the city cliff. and the dirt, is it in the cave? oh yeah, i'll do that :D

Level 13
Alright I might need a trigger/spells partner I can't set a cam for shit, lol. PM me if you interested and be decent enough that you can set cams.

And here is some more WIPz just for fun.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    661.2 KB · Views: 104
  • 2.png
    2.png
    750.7 KB · Views: 125
  • 3.png
    3.png
    718.7 KB · Views: 102
Level 13
The story around my campaign (Name still under construction) revolves around two main characters Eldorin "The Elven Ranger" and Bardulf "The Human Knight" which you will go back and forth between the two characters.
The settings of the story is a war that is going on in the lands of Valdor. This war consists of mainly two sides, the Humans specifically the Kingdom of Brin and the sinister Nazar army who have claimed much or destroyed the territory in Valdor.
The missions of the two characters will tie into each other for Eldorin he is attempting to reach the elven council to seek assistance in the defending one of the last free citadels in Valdor which is being defended by Bardulf.

At the moment I am working on chapters 1 but I have set some ground work for Chapter 2. In Chapter 1 you will have a cinematic explaining some of the stuff then you will start out as Eldorin running through the forest. Then switch to Bardulf preparing for the attack.

Also all names but the characters and Valdor might change if I can find better ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.