• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Book I: Exodus of the Horde

Version 1.5 available! Please review the changelog for details.

Version 1.5 Notes
  • Added a “Game Settings” mission where you can customize settings to the following:
    • Game Difficulty (Easy/Normal/Hard). This overrides the lobby settings.
      • Easy and Normal modes are no longer identical. In Easy mode, you have the same starting forces as in Normal mode, while enemy forces are reduced to approximately half of Normal mode.
  • Hero Revival Settings
    • If enabled, Heroes and special units will have a passive ability called Heroic Resolve (modified from Reincarnation ability). You can customize how many times each Hero may be revived per mission as well as the length of the ability’s cooldown.
  • Minor bug fixes.
Version 1.4 Notes
  • Far Seer - Far Sight has been reworked. Instead of revealing an area of the map, it causes units in the selected area to grant vision for 15 seconds, similar to how the SC2 Oracle's Revelation ability works. Additionally, Far Sight is now available on Mission 4.
  • Knight - Charge ability has been updated to resemble how it works in the next campaign.
  • Gar'thok and Vol'Jin have updated models (thanks johnwar).
  • Gar'thok now deals Heavy damage.
  • Vol'Jin, Headhunters, and Witch Doctors now have Troll Regeneration displayed on their command cards as a passive ability. This is just a cosmetic update. No stats have been changed.
  • Forest Troll Berserker now has the Berserk ability.
  • Overall rebalance of unit costs, levels, and bounties.
  • Other miscellaneous changes that I can't remember.
Version 1.3 Notes
Gameplay

• Minor stat changes for the Human race to match upcoming Scourge of Lordaeron campaign
  • Reworked/fixed the command abilities for the Humans officer units (Lieutenant, Archer Commander, and Knight Commander). They should now work properly and will reflect how they will function in the next campaign.
  • Human Ballista now has an Artillery (line) attack instead of a Missile (line) attack; this should make it easier to dodge their deadly missiles.
  • Mission 3, 5 - Narrative placed Sentry Wards now have a timed life.
  • Mission 5 - Buffed the big bad.
  • Slight nerf to Orc Shaman's Purge ability.
  • Spirit Wolves can now push around infantry units.
Custom Models and Icon Changes

• Changed model for Orc Conclave/Nexus.
  • Changed model for Vol'Jin's Voodoo Spirits spell.
  • Custom model for Human Lieutenant with crossbow (thanks to Wandering_Soul for the crossbowman model).
  • Custom model for Orc Kennels that feels more orcish (a simple edit of the Orc Pig Farm).
  • Reverted model for Human Keep to vanilla.
  • Custom icons for the Human officers' command abilities (you will notice these on the buff status indicator if you click on enemy units).
Aesthetic Changes

• Artillery units (such as the Ballista) no longer cause their targets to explode on lethal hits (exploding units become a bit absurd after a while IMO).
  • Rescaled items.
  • Rescaled some doodads.
Bug Fixes

• Thrall's Feral Spirits spell and all of Vol'Jin's spells should now scale with Focus as originally intended.
  • Mission 5 - Fixed an issue with unique units not loading properly when skipping the opening cinematic.
  • Miscellaneous fixes to various minor bugs.
Known Issues
  • Orbs do not work with bounce attack.
Version 1.2 Notes
Gameplay
  • Human Archer Commander can now see invisible units (a retroactive edit since this unit is planned to be an option for detection in the Scourge of Lordaeron)
Custom Models and Icon Changes

• Changed models for Human Ballista, Orc Hunting Lodge, and Lightning Strike spell.
  • Several icons have been changed for a more custom feel.
Bug Fixes
  • Mission 2 - Disabled abilities should no longer appear on Orc Impaler.
  • Mission 5 - Fixed ending cinematic goof.
  • Fixed a few tooltip errors (Shaman, Essence of Spirit).
Known Issues
  • Orbs do not work with bounce attack.

Version 1.1 Notes
Added Features

• Restored most of the original voiceovers for missions 3-5! Only a few lines by minor roles were not restored for contextual reasons.
  • Added variable difficulty settings:
    • Easy/Normal - A lite version. Army sizes are approximately half the size of Hard. This is intended to accommodate devices that may not be able to handle very large army sizes. Easy and Normal difficulty settings are identical.
    • Hard - Army sizes are basically the same as Version 1.0.
    • NOTE - For those that are not aware, there is a bug with the difficulty settings for custom campaigns. Upon completing a mission, the difficulty setting for custom campaigns will revert to the same difficulty setting your account has for the official Blizzard campaign. For example, if you want to play a custom campaign on Hard, you need to remember to set the Blizzard campaign for TFT to Hard as well.
  • QWER-ASDF-ZXCV hotkeys for abilities, buildings, units, and upgrades based on their position on the button pad.
  • Added some familiar faces, including a new hero! But be careful, they are not revivable! They are, however, expendable! It's up to you if you care enough about them to keep them alive! :grin:
Bug Fixes

• Fixed Thrall's Lightning Strike spell; it is now based on Inferno instead of Cluster Rockets.
  • Fixed some spelling and grammar mistakes on some tooltips.
  • Minor fixes for small bugs that I noticed while updating this campaign.
Known Issues

• Orbs do not work with bounce attacks. For me this a minor annoyance that does not seem worth the effort of fixing.

Book I: Exodus of the Horde (Altered Campaign)
Recommended Version: 1.31

Introduction

Hello Everybody. This is the first installment of a passion project of mine. This is an altered version of the Prologue/Demo campaign by Blizzard. I really enjoyed the story of Warcraft 3, but the hero-centric gameplay with small armies left me feeling somewhat hollow. I like myself a good, classic RTS like StarCraft: Brood War, and I like the epic clash of large-scale battles and seeing the bloody aftermath! My aim was to promote more macro play in order to capture more of the epic atmosphere of the events taking place.

Before I go on, I want to give a special thanks to teozamait, whose submission of “The Scourge of Lordaeron – Enhanced” inspired me to attempt an alteration of my own. Link below:
The Scourge of Lordaeron - Enhanced

Also, I am aware that this may be the umpteenth submission of the same campaign. However, I put a lot of time and effort into this, and my aim was to promote a completely different playstyle than you are used to seeing in Warcraft 3. If it's not your cup of tea, that's fine. I just hope that you can see that this is more than just a mere "tweak" of the original campaign that you may be tired of seeing.

Features/Alterations

• Altered Playstyle
  • Unit stats are more StarCraft-like, i.e. low HP and high DPS. Units die very quickly, and there are a lot more of them. Playstyle is intended to be more macro heavy. Food cap is 999 (you will likely never reach it).
  • Low upkeep at 500 food, high upkeep at 800 food.
  • Hardcore difficulty (no hero revivals) with two difficulty settings. If your hero dies, he's dead. Period. This will usually result in mission failure and you will have to start over from your previous saved point. Heroes are stronger than normal units, but will still die very quickly if you're not careful.
    • UPDATE - A reworked hero revival mechanic may be enabled in the new "Game Settings" mission. Here, you may limit the number of extra lives heroes have per mission, as well as revival cooldowns.
  • Easy - More casual experience. Starting player army sizes are approximately 5x larger than normal WC3, and enemy forces are approximately 2.5x larger than normal WC3.
  • Normal - Large army sizes. Starting player forces and enemy forces are approximately 5x larger than normal WC3.
  • Hard - Army sizes are very large, approximately 10x what you are used to seeing in WC3 for both player and enemy forces. This mode is not recommended if you're device has lag or sputtering issues when lots of units are on the map.
  • NOTE - For those that are not aware, there is a bug with the difficulty settings for custom campaigns. Upon completing a mission, the difficulty setting for custom campaigns will revert to the same difficulty setting your account has for the official Blizzard campaign. For example, if you want to play a custom campaign on Hard, you need to remember to set the Blizzard campaign for TFT to Hard as well.
    • UPDATE - With the new "Game Settings" mission, this is no longer the case. The difficulty you select in the "Game Settings" mission should be saved for the rest of the campaign.
  • Altered tech tree (more on this later).

• Altered Mechanics
  • Armor. Armor is a hybrid of the StarCraft and Warcraft 3 systems. Every 1 point of armor reduces damage taken by 0.5, and has a reduction factor of 3% (vs 6% in classic WC3).
  • Armor and damage types are simplified and more intuitive, as opposed to complicated and arbitrary in classic WC3. No bonus damage, only reduced damage depending on armor and damage types (like SC:BW).
    • Armor types:
      • Light Infantry (e.g. Peons, Shamans) - Reduced damage from Piercing attacks.
      • Heavy Infantry (e.g. Footmen, Grunts) - Significantly reduced damage from Piercing attacks.
      • Light Cavalry (e.g. Spirit Wolves) - Reduced damage from Normal attacks.
      • Heavy Cavalry (e.g. Knights) - Significantly reduced damage from Normal attacks.
      • Large (e.g. Ogres) - Reduced damage from Normal and Piercing attacks.
      • Fortified (e.g. structures, Rock Golems) - Significantly reduced damage from Normal and Piercing attacks.
      • Ethereal (e.g. Ghosts) - Immune to physical attacks. Can only be harmed by Magic attacks and spells.
    • Damage types:
      • Normal (small arms, typically melee, e.g. swords, axes, fists, etc.) - Full damage to Infantry armor types.
      • Piercing (pointed weapons, usually ranged, e.g. arrows, spears, darts, etc.) - Full damage to Cavalry armor types.
      • Heavy (large weapons, e.g. hammers, clubs, siege projectiles) - Full damage to all armor types (except Ethereal).
      • Magic (magic users, duh) - Can harm Ethereal units. Usually does full damage to all armor types.
  • Some knockback mechanics.
    • Some spells and attacks have a knockback mechanic.
    • Larger units will be able to push around smaller units if you micro hard enough.
      • Cavalry units can push around Infantry units.
      • Large units can push around Cavalry and Infantry units.

• Altered Hero Mechanics
  • No more hero revivals (be careful!).
  • Level 20 cap (Thrall will not reach it for this campaign)
  • Strength and Intelligence changed to Constitution and Focus, respectively.
    • Primary attribute increases attack damage.
    • Constitution
      • Increases HP
      • Increases HP regeneration
      • Increases Armor
    • Agility
      • Increases attack rate
      • Increases movement speed
      • Increases chance to evade attacks
    • Focus
      • Increases Mana
      • Increases Mana regeneration
      • Increases potency of spells (higher damage, AoE, duration, etc.)
  • New spells. No more ultimates.

• Altered Tech Tree
  • Intended to emphasize racial traits and identity. This is something I felt sorely lacking in WC3. Sure they were different, but there was an overall feeling of sameness with them. Differences felt superficial and were either insignificant or circumstantial, not really tied to racial identity.
  • Since Orcs are the focus of this campaign, I will only go over the changes I made to make them feel more Orcish.
  • Only Orc units in the tech tree. Trolls are special units and are treated more like allies than units in the army.
  • Two different tach paths to follow (for now): Warrior Caste and Shaman Caste. These tech paths are not mutually exclusive, but investing in a tech path takes a lot of time and resources.
  • New units, spells, and abilities emphasize the Orcs' savage but noble culture.
  • Custom models and icons for a fresh aesthetic to the customizations.
  • Extra lore tidbits in the extended tooltips for geeks like me who enjoy reading through the game codex.
  • Added some characters from the lore as Easter eggs.
  • Superficial/Cosmetic Alterations
  • Voiceovers for missions 3-5, featuring my embarrassingly bad voice acting and editing! I can submit a mute version if you (understandably) find my voice acting unbearable.
  • Removed all hints. This is your world to (re)discover!
  • Rescaled units and structures for more realism (but still readable I hope). Honestly, this was mainly to accommodate larger armies in the map, so units are somewhat smaller as a consequence.
  • Forested areas have larger trees that are more spaced out. This means you can march your armies through forests!
  • Modified faction colors and names. This should be a welcome change for those of you who are bored of the usual red, blue, and purple colors that are overly used. Faction colors also more closely match what they were in Warcraft 2.
    • Lordaeron faction is snow.
    • Kul'Tiras is dark green.
    • Frostwolf Clan (Thrall's clan) is navy.
    • Warsong Clan is maroon.
  • Different flora and fauna than was in the original Demo missions, including an exciting new enemy for Mission 5! (formerly Mission 3 of the Demo)

Notes and Disclaimers

• I made this using version 1.31. I do not know if it will work on any other version.
  • I made this altered campaign for me, and for the most part I am satisfied with it. I wanted to share it because I thought others might enjoy a different take on the original campaign.
  • Cosmetic and superficial alterations generally reflect how I envision the Warcraft world. I am unlikely to acquiesce to requests to change something to match a different interpretation of the lore or aesthetics, but feel free to express your thoughts. Who knows? You may change my mind!
  • That said, please let me know of any bugs or errors! And let me know if you have any suggestions for improvement for this and future projects. I hope to get through all of the campaigns some day.
  • I am submitting this unprotected. If you like some aspects of this campaign but dislike some others, feel free to change it! If you want to expand on my ideas, have at it! You don’t even need to give me credit! Like I said, I made this for me. Any enjoyment that anyone else gets from this is a bonus.
Thanks for playing... Enjoy!

CREDITS:
Blizzard Entertainment, Archangel_Tidusx, assassin_lord, Asssssvi, Bakr, Bribe, chr2, Crabby_Spider, Cuore, Darkfang, Directive255, Eagle XI, Edge45, Elphis, General Frank, genin32, Hayate, HerrDave, johnwar, kellym0, Kimbo, Kitabatake, loktar, LordGandulfo88, Mephestrial, Mike, Mister_Haudrauf, Mr.Goblin, MrHoon, Murlocologist, Novart, Null, Paladon, Petrovic, Public Resource Provider, Red XIII, Retera, Scias, Sellenisko, Shadow Daemon, Static, Stefan.K, Tamplier777, Tasyen, teozamait, Tranquil, Ujimasa Hojo, Vexorian, Wandering Soul, white.wolf, Windrunner29, Zaljinzoo, and Zanekok.

If you notice that I used a resource and didn’t give credit, please let me know so I can give credit to the appropriate person. Thanks!
Contents

Book I: Exodus of the Horde (Campaign)

Reviews
deepstrasz
Basically a Warcraft II gameplay type of Warcraft III. The hero is very weak and the fact that it can't be revived, makes it really useless in big battles having to keep Thrall somewhere in the back. More annoying is that the hero is melee. The mini...
Level 5
This looks awesome, and i can not wait to play it, i have to download the 1.31 version though. One suggestion, if you have plans to remake all campaigns, you could make the invasion of kalimdor a direct continuation of this one (Thrall gets to keep his lvl, items and so on).
Edit: Also there is a campaign uploaded on the Hive (Exodus of the Horde-voice over) by kostiarik. You could download it and use the voice files from the import manager, there are even a few extra ones too if i am not mistaken.
Edit 2: Played it, loved it. It is masochistically hard and i really wish there was a way to select more than 12 units, but thats on blizz, not you. lvl 4 spell tooltip for spirit wolves says evasion 2 times :)
Edit 3: Finished it, the new stuff had me pleasantly amused, Overall it may be far to hard, i had to use cheats a few times, sometimes due to my wooden laptop that can not handle the number of units and Thrall getting killed without me even seeing what is going on. On that note, i would lower the number of units by approximately half ( still feeling epic but more manageable ). The wc3 engine was not made for this many units and the pathfinding issues really start getting in the way ( pun intended :) ) and the selection limit really started bothering me. The campaign is polished and the lore notes on basically every buildable building and trainable units really add a lot to the overall feel. The new orc race feels complete and in place, i really like the option to choose between 2 paths.
I did have problems with the Lightning Strike spell ( it is made from cluster rockets which is a channeling spell, and you set its duration to 0, meaning Thrall continues to channel it after the initial effect - but it does nothing, also if he is attacked by pikemen and pushed back while casting, it deals no damage, probably due to him being knocked back counting as being interrupted). I would suggest using the Infernal spell as a base, it is much more cleaner.
All in all, new systems, new custom race(two ones counting humans), custom spells (trigger ones at that), a new gameplay feel, some new not out of place stuff added (not wanting to spoil anything i use "stuff"). This probably required a enormous amount of effort so a well earned 5 stars from me. Hope you continue with this :)

Last edited:
Level 7
man is very bad that i have version 1.30.4 not 1.31 i this campaign looks great from the screenshots
Maybe you already know about this, but here is the link to 1.31.1 below. I had to download 1.31.1 when I got my new desktop.
Patch 1.31.1 Backup Files

One suggestion, if you have plans to remake all campaigns, you could make the invasion of kalimdor a direct continuation of this one (Thrall gets to keep his lvl, items and so on).
That's the plan! :grin:

Edit: Also there is a campaign uploaded on the Hive (Exodus of the Horde-voice over) by kostiarik. You could download it and use the voice files from the import manager, there are even a few extra ones too if i am not mistaken.
Thanks! Unfortunately, many of the original voiceovers won't work with my edit, as you probably know by now having played it :grin:. I believe all of Sen'Jin's lines are identical though, so at least there's that. I thought my voice acting for Thrall was bad, but trying to channel my inner aged, Rastafarian troll? lol...

Edit 2: Played it, loved it. It is masochistically hard and i really wish there was a way to select more than 12 units, but thats on blizz, not you. lvl 4 spell tooltip for spirit wolves says evasion 2 times :)
Yeah, with all those amazing patches for the editor a few years ago, I was hopeful that Blizzard would eventually add the feature to select more than 12 units. Oh well, maybe some day. I will fix the Lvl4 spirit wolves tooltip. Thanks!

Edit 3: Finished it, the new stuff had me pleasantly amused, Overall it may be far to hard, i had to use cheats a few times, sometimes due to my wooden laptop that can not handle the number of units and Thrall getting killed without me even seeing what is going on. On that note, i would lower the number of units by approximately half ( still feeling epic but more manageable ). The wc3 engine was not made for this many units and the pathfinding issues really start getting in the way ( pun intended :) ) and the selection limit really started bothering me.

I can definitely see what you’re saying. My desktop is able to handle it with no sputtering, but only just. Working around the limitations of the game in order to make it do what I want has been challenging and frustrating. I was initially hesitant at the idea of reducing the army sizes, but in thinking about it, it shouldn’t be too difficult to add a difficulty setting that does this. Normal difficulty setting can have reduced army sizes, and Hard difficulty can remain as is, more or less.

I did have problems with the Lightning Strike spell ( it is made from cluster rockets which is a channeling spell, and you set its duration to 0, meaning Thrall continues to channel it after the initial effect - but it does nothing, also if he is attacked by pikemen and pushed back while casting, it deals no damage, probably due to him being knocked back counting as being interrupted). I would suggest using the Infernal spell as a base, it is much more cleaner.
I will try this. Thank you!

Thank you for all of the feedback, Petrovic! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Couple questions regarding the final mission: Do you think 20 minutes is enough time to experience the new tech? And do I give you enough starting resources? The mission originally starts you off with a Stronghold, but I changed it to a Great Hall to give the player an option to choose their tech path. But thinking back, I don't know if 20 minutes is enough time to play with some of the more advanced tech with all the stuff that's going on.

Last edited:
Level 16
The concept is very cool! However, having a LOT of units on WC3 isn't that good. As said before, you can select only 12, and well, the engine is not really made for that (that's why there is Upkeep too).

However, I liked your Tech tree and some changes you made!

(my pc burned in chapter four when humans excaped and fought murloc... :c)

Level 14
The concept is very cool! However, having a LOT of units on WC3 isn't that good. As said before, you can select only 12, and well, the engine is not really made for that (that's why there is Upkeep too).

Yeah with collision its.a little much. This isnt starcraft

Level 5
Maybe you already know about this, but here is the link to 1.31.1 below. I had to download 1.31.1 when I got my new desktop.
Patch 1.31.1 Backup Files

That's the plan! :grin:

Thanks! Unfortunately, many of the original voiceovers won't work with my edit, as you probably know by now having played it :grin:. I believe all of Sen'Jin's lines are identical though, so at least there's that. I thought my voice acting for Thrall was bad, but trying to channel my inner aged, Rastafarian troll? lol...

Yeah, with all those amazing patches for the editor a few years ago, I was hopeful that Blizzard would eventually add the feature to select more than 12 units. Oh well, maybe some day. I will fix the Lvl4 spirit wolves tooltip. Thanks!

I can definitely see what you’re saying. My desktop is able to handle it with no sputtering, but only just. Working around the limitations of the game in order to make it do what I want has been challenging and frustrating. I was initially hesitant at the idea of reducing the army sizes, but in thinking about it, it shouldn’t be too difficult to add a difficulty setting that does this. Normal difficulty setting can have reduced army sizes, and Hard difficulty can remain as is, more or less.

I will try this. Thank you!

Thank you for all of the feedback, Petrovic! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Couple questions regarding the final mission: Do you think 20 minutes is enough time to experience the new tech? And do I give you enough starting resources? The mission originally starts you off with a Stronghold, but I changed it to a Great Hall to give the player an option to choose their tech path. But thinking back, I don't know if 20 minutes is enough time to play with some of the more advanced tech with all the stuff that's going on.
Glad to hear about the campaign conection.
I figured out by the end of mission 4 that something was going to be different and why you needed new voicework :D Still Senjin and 90% of Thralls lines can be used. For the new villian your voice work is great in my opinion.
The Normal difficulty with less units sound like a great idea!
20 minutes is enough in my opinion, resources were not a problem, with the increased number of peons gold and lumber stop being a though after a while. The way i deal with new races is: starting the map, all the cheats, building and training everything and figuring it all out, then restarting the map. But, first time it can be overwhelming, and finding the right strategy can be tricky.

A few suggestions if you do not mind :)
1)Consider QWER hotkeys at least for abilities. The campaign already requires intensive microing, finding the "L" button while commanding 7 teams is a matter of life and death. On that note, on my campaign edits, i usually put "QWER-ASDF-ZXCV" hotkeys for buildings, units and upgrades depending on their placement on the action bar, but i understand that it is tedious and more of a luxury, so if you decide on this, i would not mind spending the time on doing it.
2)Have you thought about adding some lore important characters as unique units? Nazgrel and Voljin come to mind. They could have auras and be "wounded" when killed. Nazgrel could take the grunts voice lines and voljin the headhunters.
3)New models and icons: The orc slaughterhouse does not fit with the aesthetic, same with the ballista, archery range, troll den and kennel. Many icons could use some better alternatives. For Example, for the critical strike(spirit Wolves) there is Dire Wolf Rip .
This is just my personal preference, so do not feel obligated :)

Also some small bugs:
Wasong units are not hidden during the chapter 2 end cinematic, this is probably due to the trigger hiding only player 1 units.
Manual of health says 50 hitpoints, gives 10.

Last edited:
Level 5

I tend to disagree.. I like that you can do these.. Azeroth Wars, Lordareon the Afthermath and so on have many units on the field. If you have a strong PC it won't lag in those types of games. I like this type of playstyle if it does not fit warcraft 3 so do Azeroth Wars and so on should not fit warcraft 3.. But they do and they were and they are still playing in the community. And this campaign reminds me of those types of games.

Level 7
Hang tight! I should have an update incoming in about a week. Thanks for the support guys!

In the meantime, let me know if you have any suggestions to consider. So far I have:

- Add a lite version under Normal difficulty setting (reduces army sizes by approximately half). This isn't so much for reduced difficulty as it is to accommodate devices that can't quite handle the full army sizes.
- Restore some of the original voiceovers.
- Map spells, upgrades, and units to 'QWER', 'ASDF', 'ZXCV' keys.
- Fix Lightning Strike spell.
- Fix Feral Spirits Lvl 4 tooltip
- Fix mission 2 ending cinematic bug (Warsong units should not be visible)
- Dire Wolf Rip icon for spirit wolf critical strike

3)New models and icons: The orc slaughterhouse does not fit with the aesthetic, same with the ballista, archery range, troll den and kennel. Many icons could use some better alternatives. For Example, for the critical strike(spirit Wolves) there is Dire Wolf Rip .
This is just my personal preference, so do not feel obligated :)
I would love to get more fitting models or icons if possible, but creating new models or icons is a rabbit hole that I would rather avoid. I don't have any experience with it and I'm not sure that I would have the talent for it. I have a hard enough time doing minor tweaks like adding GUTZ or death sounds to models.

However, if you think of any existing alternatives that would fit better than what I'm using (like the Dire Wolf Rip), please let me know and I'll consider it! Better yet, if someone wants to customize more aesthetically fitting models for things like the Hunting Lodge, Kennels, or Archery Range, that would be awesome! No obligation, of course :)

EDIT:

2)Have you thought about adding some lore important characters as unique units? Nazgrel and Voljin come to mind. They could have auras and be "wounded" when killed. Nazgrel could take the grunts voice lines and voljin the headhunters.
As for adding in some familiar characters? We'll see. As long as they are not out of place I will consider it. Nazgrel and Vol'Jin are important characters, yes? That means they mustn't die. But unkillable? I'm not that nice ;)

But in all seriousness, if I do add them in, they will not be revivable, just like Thrall. If they are not expendable, then their deaths will mean mission failure. But in all honesty, Nazgrel and Vol'Jin are only important for the Founding of Durotar campaign, and I don't think I'm going to edit that one. Therefore, if I add those characters, they will probably be expendable.

Last edited:
Level 5
Yes! Been busy with work last few days, will get on it as soon as i can!
Edit: Will also scour the site for new resources for potential use.
Mission 1: Critters (pigs and sheep) seem a bit big. 2)Love the Gar'thok addition. 3)BTNHeroHelmet You can use this icon in the Button Manager v1.8.2 to add the upgrade part in the lower right corner of the icon to align visualy with other armor types.
Mission 2: 1) Indomitable will appears as a disabled ability for impalers, since we can not build conclave on this mission it should not be available, also a disabled ability called magic resistance appears in the 0,2 button pad for impalers. 2)Quilboar This could be a good Hunting Lodge replacement. 3) BTNAbility_Hunter_Quickshot for the impaler upgrade in the Hunters lodge.
Mission 3: 1) Vol'jin! I also love the way you handled that model's problematic hero glow! 2) BTNSpell_Nature_CallStorm Could be used for Far Seer Vision quest upgrade due to it having the far seer in the icon, but i am not sold on the lightning bolt on it. 2)BTNBeastprotection1, BTNBeastprotection2, BTNBeastprotection3 for Beast Armor. 3) Ballista v1, Ballista v2 seem more in line with how a wc3 style balista would look like. 4) BTNSpell_Nature_Regeneration maybe for pursuit tactics.5) BTNSpell_Shadow_GatherShadows looks nice for voodoo spirits 6) Spiritual Harmony could maybe be BTNSpell_Nature_ResistNature, BTNSpell_Nature_AstralRecal, BTNSpell_Nature_AstralRecalGroup. 6) BTNSpell_Nature_UndyingStrength could be great for Indomitable will with Endurance Aura icon taking the place for Rekindled Savagery providing a nice contrast for the different abilities the specific paths give.
Mission 4: 1) Lost Gar'thok here, i thought he would be back for the next mission, was very surprised when that did not occur. I cant believe you actually went for it, not only adding unique units but going with this route of them transferring through missions is really going above and beyond! 2) Voice splicing Thrall's lines to match the new chain of events was excellently done.
Mission 5: 1) Essence of Spirit in the Nexus says 0 bonus mana regeneration. 2) Again commendations for Thralls lines. 3)BTNLightningOrcBoltForm, for Thunderlords Upgrade. 4) In the end cinematic Thrall kills several murlocs with the Lightning Bolt spell and then runs to a murloc doing nothing before boarding the ship. 5) Forgot to mention in mission 3. Your implementation of Sunken ruins terrain and props is on point. :) 6) Lightnings Multiple Model for Lighning Strike ( Not only it looks great but also leaves behind an earthquake effect - perfect for the spell) and Eye of the Storm for Icon. 7) + for Nazgrel.

The new lite difficulty hits just right ( for me at least :thumbs_up:)
What you are doing is fantastic! I had a similar idea some years back (reworking the orcs race, adding unique lore units, more interesting spells and all that) but you just blew all that out of the water with custom armor and weapon types, new enemy with voice lines, a new epic game feel with the armies and a dose of realism (units getting killed in a few strikes, not hacking at each other for minutes as well as doing away with ridiculous scaling of units compared to buildings). To put it simply, you are making the warcraft 3 i wished i was playing and I can not wait for your next work!

Last edited:
Level 7
Bah! Pesky bugs :p . I will get those fixed. Critter sizes may be a holdover from my previous (failed) attempt to revamp the campaign. I will rescale them accordingly.

Ha! I thought I was being so devious by making the unique units expendable, but really I was just creating more work for myself, lol. Glad to see it seems to have turned out though.

Thank you for all the great suggestions! I just wish the ballista models you suggested had team color (probably why I passed on them in the first place). However, I do agree that those ballistae are better alternatives to the current one, even without the team color. Team color shouldn’t be too much of an issue for a single player campaign anyway.

I’m having a blast! It’s awesome to see that other people are enjoying it. Before, only my wife and some friends and coworkers were aware that I was doing this, and none of them play WC3. My previous attempt was basically just the original campaign with scaled up armies, with units having 15% of their original HP and half the damage. I made it as far as the Terror of the Tides campaign before I realized how lame that was and decided to start all over with brand new tech trees and the like.

Anyway, I should have version 1.2 up pretty soon. I am currently working on the Scourge of Lordaeron campaign.

In the meantime, keep me posted on any bugs or if you have any suggestions. Thanks!

Level 5
Bah! Pesky bugs :p . I will get those fixed. Critter sizes may be a holdover from my previous (failed) attempt to revamp the campaign. I will rescale them accordingly.

Ha! I thought I was being so devious by making the unique units expendable, but really I was just creating more work for myself, lol. Glad to see it seems to have turned out though.

Thank you for all the great suggestions! I just wish the ballista models you suggested had team color (probably why I passed on them in the first place). However, I do agree that those ballistae are better alternatives to the current one, even without the team color. Team color shouldn’t be too much of an issue for a single player campaign anyway.

I’m having a blast! It’s awesome to see that other people are enjoying it. Before, only my wife and some friends and coworkers were aware that I was doing this, and none of them play WC3. My previous attempt was basically just the original campaign with scaled up armies, with units having 15% of their original HP and half the damage. I made it as far as the Terror of the Tides campaign before I realized how lame that was and decided to start all over with brand new tech trees and the like.

Anyway, I should have version 1.2 up pretty soon. I am currently working on the Scourge of Lordaeron campaign.

In the meantime, keep me posted on any bugs or if you have any suggestions. Thanks!
Will do if i find anything.

You have no idea how much that hits close to home, i started groaning when my girlfriend asks if I am drawing those maps again. :grin:

Level 7
Hi everyone. I just wanted to let you know that I will be uploading an update soon. As work on my customized Human race for the Scourge of Lordaeron campaign has been underway, I want to put in any retroactive edits I've made to the Humans to make them feel more polished in this campaign and more consistent with the next. That said, now would a good opportunity to notify me of any bugs that need to be fixed or any suggestions you may have. I have already noticed a few minor bugs that need to be fixed.

Since my last update, a few additional resources have been submitted by the community that I am considering. I would like to know people's opinions on the following:

Bakr's Tauren Town Hall for the Conclave and Nexus. I like it, but I think it may be too taureny:
Tauren Buildings

Bakr's Worgen Den for the Kennels. Looks a bit too much like a Gold Mine in my opinion, but I think it's a better alternative than the Gnoll Barracks I'm currently using:
Gilneas Structures

Thanks everyone! Please don't hesitate to share your feedback!

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
  1. Basically a Warcraft II gameplay type of Warcraft III.
  2. The hero is very weak and the fact that it can't be revived, makes it really useless in big battles having to keep Thrall somewhere in the back. More annoying is that the hero is melee.
  3. The mini look in cinematic makes it awkward.
  4. True Sight and Revealing Dust? Two invisible detectors? Actually 3 with Far Sight.
  5. I fell that you rob the player of more strategy in one go with the main building branch. In the original game, even in Warcraft II you can have all troops, meaning both warriors and casters whilst here you have to choose which isn't quite a libertine, diverse or flexible gameplay design. You should think of the branches more per unit type building; for example: the barracks could branch to train trolls or spearmen, each unit with its role.
  6. Always funny to see imprisoned armed units.
  7. Vol'jin's spells are not as impressive as Thrall's. They're generic ones.

It's a nice implementation that could be much more customized.

Is it Open Source though, as in anyone can edit and reupload?

Approved.

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
Description Guide - Melee Maps
Describing Your Melee Map
Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
Shar Dundred
Paillan
Alexen
eubz
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/

Level 7
Hey deepstrasz, thank you for the review! I am really excited about the seal of approval!
  1. Basically a Warcraft II gameplay type of Warcraft III.
  2. The hero is very weak and the fact that it can't be revived, makes it really useless in big battles having to keep Thrall somewhere in the back. More annoying is that the hero is melee.
Where a good general belongs! :grin:
The mini look in cinematic makes it awkward.
While I generally think the cinematics look good with the new scaling, I think you have a valid point here. On the one hand, I vastly prefer my scaling to the original; in the original, units were ridiculously oversized compared to structures and trees, and units often did not scale well with each other (heroes being ridiculously oversized, etc). However, the cinematics were originally shot in a 4:3 aspect ratio with the original scaling and the transition to widescreen with more realistic scaling is not always seamless. This awkwardness has been especially noticeable in the human campaign I am currently working on.

I fell that you rob the player of more strategy in one go with the main building branch. In the original game, even in Warcraft II you can have all troops, meaning both warriors and casters whilst here you have to choose which isn't quite a libertine, diverse or flexible gameplay design. You should think of the branches more per unit type building; for example: the barracks could branch to train trolls or spearmen, each unit with its role.
I strongly disagree with this analysis. Firstly, I diction I used (Warrior Caste vs Shaman Caste) was really for lack of better terminology; after all, we are all warriors in the Horde :grin:(except Peons). But in all honesty, I feel like I did a really good job with the divergent tech paths. My aim with the divergent tech paths was to offer the player different approaches for particular situations; for example, the Battering Ram in the warrior caste is a very tanky, melee siege unit that can transport units unharmed directly into enemy defenses, while the Shaman’s earthquake ability gives the shaman caste a good long range siege option.

In contrast, the branching example that you gave is really boring (trolls and spearmen are basically the same unit). Also, I’d like to point out that the player is not strictly locked into the path they choose; you can unlock both paths by building another Great Hall and upgrading it. Yes, this does take additional time and resources, but the tech paths are not mutually exclusive. Might I add that this is unlike teozamait’s The Scourge of Lordaeron - Enhanced, where you actually are locked into a particular tech path once you choose it.

True Sight and Revealing Dust? Two invisible detectors? Actually 3 with Far Sight.
Yes! The Trapper is a detection option for the warrior caste, while the Far Seer is a detection option for the shaman caste. This is nothing new; for example, the Terrans in SC:BW have the Comsat Station and Science Vessel as detection options (and Missile Turrets), and the Protoss in SC2 have Observers and Oracles as detection options. I do agree that the Far Seer having both True Sight and Far Sight is redundant... sort of (except that Far Sight provides long range scouting).

Always funny to see imprisoned armed units.
:grin: Seriously though, this has always bothered me. But it doesn't bother me enough to go through the effort of changing it. Let's just say the Murlocs are not very smart.

Vol'jin's spells are not as impressive as Thrall's. They're generic ones.
Agreed. Vol'Jin was a bit of an afterthought. I feel that each spell has its place though.

It's a nice implementation that could be much more customized.
I’m honestly at a loss here. I basically rebuilt the tech tree from the ground up, added new mechanics, modified the gameplay style, completely overhauled the damage/armor system, not to mention the new and different stuff in Missions 3-5. How much more can it be customized?

Is it Open Source though, as in anyone can edit and reupload?
This is a good question and I may not be entirely clear on what is meant by “Open Source.” Does a reupload by someone else replace this one? Because I’d prefer that my original upload remain available in some fashion. That said, I have no issues with people modifying this work (like making the heroes unkillable or whatever) and reuploading it (that’s what I did after all).

Thank you for the review deepstrasz. I’m happy to get the seal of approval at least. I apologize if I came across as defensive, but I am genuinely confused at some of your critiques.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
In contrast, the branching example that you gave is really boring (trolls and spearmen are basically the same unit).
That was just a quick example. You shouldn't have taken it literally. I was referring to branching per building so that there would be more units in the techtree. For instance converting a barracks into either troll units or orc ones. Just an idea.
Also, I’d like to point out that the player is not strictly locked into the path they choose; you can unlock both paths by building another Great Hall and upgrading it.
I had no idea. :thumbs_up:
How much more can it be customized?
Well, yeah but the main idea is still there, the spells are mostly reused ones. But as mentioned before more branching would give the player more options to choose more units or something.
Does a reupload by someone else replace this one?
No.

Level 4
Tested on 1.31 English client. Somewhy i experienced 2 major issues:
1) Item names and item tooltips are missing for all items (at least in-game)
2) In the Campaign menu new unlocked missions are not added, i completed chapter 2, and instead i just have access to the first chapter (and also 2 cinematic-related entries above the first chapter link)

Edit:
From the comments, it seems, other users didn't have same issues, i have no idea, i know, that 1.31 is recommended.

UPDATE:
same with the human Campaign (the Book II), also tried on the 1.27a client - the campaign file is not even visible

Last edited:
Level 7
2) In the Campaign menu new unlocked missions are not added, i completed chapter 2, and instead i just have access to the first chapter (and also 2 cinematic-related entries above the first chapter link)

Edit:
From the comments, it seems, other users didn't have same issues, i have no idea, i know, that 1.31 is recommended.

UPDATE:
same with the human Campaign (the Book II), also tried on the 1.27a client - the campaign file is not even visible
That is strange... Did you follow the instructions in this thread? That is how I got 1.31. I hope that helps. Sorry, this is not my area of expertise. Also, I apologize for the very late reply. I took a bit of a hiatus from the hobby.

Level 4

Edit:

UPDATE:
Update:
it works well with the Reforged 1.35 integraded campaign menu, just make sure next 2 rules apply:
1) Campaign folder does not have any folders/subfolders
2) no any other file types, than campaign files are allowed (text files and any folders are prohobited in the campaign folder, just campgaing files in root and nothing else)

With these rules 1.35 client will not crash and will properly display all campaigns.
Maybe if i tried these rules with the 1.31, i could avoid those issues, but atm im satisfied with the 1.35 (reforged graphics works, but i dont recommend using it with this campaign, as so high unit count may potencially slow you videocard, this campaign is recommended and intended to be played on classic graphics)

Gameplay notes for the reforged 1.35 client:
1) Mission transition may be broken, so dont click "continue" button, instead choose "quit campaign" button, and to continue click on that newly opened button for the next chapter from inside the specific campaign.
2) interlude chapters may stuck at end with black screen (instead of transitioning to the next chapter), to require you exiting with ALT+F4 and restarting the game, at least this applies to the settings chapter (very first chapter), but dont worry settings do properly apply (i think), so it is just a minor inconvenience.
With these 2 notes to keep in mind (both have workarounds), it works well otherwise, so 1.35 can be used.

Last edited: