• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Advanced Techtree Contest - Recycle, Revise, Reinvent

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
ever reach points in your projects where you lose all enthusiasm, then have an epiphany to redesign huge parts of your project in order to regain that enthusiasm? that's what's happened to me, i've spent like a week braincrafting replacement ideas and imagining how it would play out... instead of actually doing work :L

looking for inspiration and being bored, i played @Spellbound's british folktales entry from the mythology contest. i just wanted to give a poorly-timed mention that i enjoyed that race very much. very poorly balanced economy, but everything else was exemplary. unfortunately they bear very little resemblance with draenei, so i won't be stealing any ideas from there.
i feel like one day we should collect all the winning techtree entries into one map and battle it out, otherwise these forgotten entries lose so much potential and undeservedly fade into obscurity.
Man after my own heart.

ever reach points in your projects where you lose all enthusiasm, then have an epiphany to redesign huge parts of your project in order to regain that enthusiasm? that's what's happened to me, i've spent like a week braincrafting replacement ideas and imagining how it would play out... instead of actually doing work :L

looking for inspiration and being bored, i played @Spellbound's british folktales entry from the mythology contest. i just wanted to give a poorly-timed mention that i enjoyed that race very much. very poorly balanced economy, but everything else was exemplary. unfortunately they bear very little resemblance with draenei, so i won't be stealing any ideas from there.
i feel like one day we should collect all the winning techtree entries into one map and battle it out, otherwise these forgotten entries lose so much potential and undeservedly fade into obscurity.
Well I'm glad something I made inspired someone, at least :)

As far as my submission goes, I'll confess I'm having trouble motivating myself. Between work and systems that are refusing to function correctly, I find it's really difficult to get into the editing process. I might bounce back or not, I'm just not 100% I'll have anything concrete to show.

I want to participate in this contest, but I know I'm slightly late.

To get a start, I have attached a map with the Voidspawn, a Heaven's Fall mod race, which will be the starting point for my contest work.

(Note: Nothing in this attached file is new during the contest, other than like 1 fixed model file that probably doesn't count)

So, as I go to create something, this attachment is my starting point and my inspiration for the race I am going to build.

Second note: it is bigger than the 8 MB limit if we still do that; I can always compress my submission down if necessary

Attachments

• VoidspawnExample.w3x
    18 MB · Views: 127
  • Fishdrop.png
    Fishdrop.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 182
  • VoidspawnUI1.png
    VoidspawnUI1.png
    3 MB · Views: 191
  • VoidspawnUI2.png
    VoidspawnUI2.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 181
  • Voidspawn.png
    Voidspawn.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 206
  • tech-void.png
    tech-void.png
    273.8 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
I want to participate in this contest, but I know I'm slightly late.

To get a start, I have attached a map with the Voidspawn, a Heaven's Fall mod race, which will be the starting point for my contest work.

(Note: Nothing in this attached file is new during the contest, other than like 1 fixed model file that probably doesn't count)

So, as I go to create something, this attachment is my starting point and my inspiration for the race I am going to build.

Second note: it is bigger than the 8 MB limit if we still do that; I can always compress my submission down if necessary

Welcome to the fray!

new size limit is 128mb so you're fine

edit: @Kam how against the rules would it be to ask fellow contestants for advice? specifically, not asking for new ideas but which of my ideas for a certain racial element is, in their opinion, the best.

I see no issues with that.

Level 8
I am always here.

Kam is love. <3

I also just realised I never got back to you after tagging me on this, just wanted to say thanks. I'll have to pass on this contest though, but I might join the next one. We'll wait and see what life has in store for me. Until then, good luck to all the contestants! Can't wait to see what you all come up with.

Are use of the memory hacks that some users have been putting together here on the Hive permitted for this contest?

I.e. bugs in JASS that cause cool thematic things to happen in my race only in Patch 1.27 on Windows?

...Which may result in the map scripts failing to pass the verifier in JNGP but working in game or something like that?

I'm not fully up to date on their libraries but since I heard they exist, I was interested in possibly trying to do stuff that are simple programming concepts that the Wc3 game engine otherwise might fail to expose with any documented API or ability.

Are use of the memory hacks that some users have been putting together here on the Hive permitted for this contest?

I.e. bugs in JASS that cause cool thematic things to happen in my race only in Patch 1.27 on Windows?

...Which may result in the map scripts failing to pass the verifier in JNGP but working in game or something like that?

I'm not fully up to date on their libraries but since I heard they exist, I was interested in possibly trying to do stuff that are simple programming concepts that the Wc3 game engine otherwise might fail to expose with any documented API or ability.

Would those require an external exe? If so I would say no.

No, I'm pretty sure the point was just to hack the game using JASS, like when people could run command prompt maps back in like '09.

Edit: maybe it only works in 1.27a, though. No idea. I basically just read enough about it to know somebody was working on it. Was hoping to dynamically change a few things in the UI.

Edit 2: Did my homework and read through more of those threads. They fixed it in 1.27b, so I don't need an answer because I'm asking an invalid question -- memory modifying was patched in 1.27b, apparently Blizzard did exactly what the Hiver who discovered it asked in order to fix it, so no maps were broken as in the days of the "return bug" fix. They just literally fixed the part where you could hack the game.

It's a shame not to have the dynamically changing Console UI I was hoping for, but then again that was never really a feature of the game anyway. I'm happily surprised to hear that Blizzard did exactly what was suggested by the modding community and patched it right up.

Edit 3: I went and derped around with Gameplay Interface and maybe I can stick multiple UI tiles on top of each other WITHOUT any silly hacks, haha!!

uitiles-png.258610

Edit 3: Did anybody else have all the units die and explode when playing my Voidspawn Example map file 2 posts back? I downloaded it on a different computer (not where I created it) and on this other computer's Warcraft install, all the units die at the start of the map.

It's on Linux, though, so maybe that is messing with something?

Attachments

• UItiles.png
    UItiles.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 362
Last edited:
No, I'm pretty sure the point was just to hack the game using JASS, like when people could run command prompt maps back in like '09.

Edit 2: Did my homework and read through more of those threads. They fixed it in 1.27b, so I don't need an answer because I'm asking an invalid question -- memory modifying was patched in 1.27b, apparently Blizzard did exactly what the Hiver who discovered it asked in order to fix it, so no maps were broken as in the days of the "return bug" fix. They just literally fixed the part where you could hack the game.

It's a shame not to have the dynamically changing Console UI I was hoping for, but then again that was never really a feature of the game anyway. I'm happily surprised to hear that Blizzard did exactly what was suggested by the modding community and patched it right up.

=)

Edit 3: I went and derped around with Gameplay Interface and maybe I can stick multiple UI tiles on top of each other WITHOUT any silly hacks, haha!!

It's on Linux, though, so maybe that is messing with something?

I did not have an issue.

I suppose you're right. Understanding the connections from A to B in it is well documented, each UI tile has a name that describes reasonably what it is, and all that.

I guess the part where it gets confusing is when you think about how you would hack in something new in that environment. When writing my own game with very similar concepts to warcraft in the past few years, the UI code is totally nonsense (see attachment) so maybe I'm making the inaccurate assumption that WC3's UI code probably looks about the same inside.

Attachments

• game.jpg
    game.jpg
    388.3 KB · Views: 144
it's that time of the year when ghostthruster posts his finished techtree outline before he's anywhere close to finishing world editor work! please, comment on it, point out stupid things etc. i'd appreciate any feedback

• Very resilient units that augment one another directly during combat.
  • Low firepower, but in turn excels at pacifying the enemy.
  • The two Aspects of Light and Exile allow for a unique techtree path:
    • Aspects unlock 2 units and a bunch of researches from buildings.
    • Draenic Shrines allow you to 'adopt' one or both of the Aspects. 'Adopting' is a similar mechanic to researching upgrades, except the upgrades pertain to the specific Shrine that researched them. Think of it sort of being like Terran add-on buildings.
    • Instead of upgrading your town hall to T2, you would build one or two Shrines. Shrines unlock T2 buildings relatively early. However, to unlock the majority of T2 units, your Shrine(s) must adopt one/both of the Aspects.
    • Aspect of Light is generally melee & support-focused, while Aspect of Exile bolsters your guerrilla capabilities by adding stealth, speed and disabling spells.
  • Unique food mechanic: the Naaru, a flying mechanical food source. Inspired by the Zerg Overlords.
  • Unique racial hero ability: Prayer, which when channeled near a Shrine regenerates mana for the hero. If a Shrine has one/both of the Aspects, it will confer extra bonuses to heroes in Prayer.

legend to understand my techtree:
  • each spoiler represents a Draenei structure. bold = unit, underline = ability or upgrade
  • numbers in front of units = food cost
  • indented bullet points correspond to the structure or unit directly above the identation hierarchy
  • units or upgrades unlocked by Aspect of Light are indicated by a ^
  • units or upgrades unlocked by Aspect of Exile are indicated by a *

Town hall structure, generates 5 food. Has the Invoke Naaru ability (summons a Naaru at a target location. Summoning takes time).
  • 1Artificer; worker unit. Gathers gold and lumber. Builds structures, but does not Repair.
  • 0Naaru; unique flying mechanical unit, generates 10 food and Repairs. Has Transpose (swaps locations with a target unit).
  • Upgrade to Sanctuary; unlocks T3 units and upgrades. Requires Altar of Fortitude, Aspect of Light and Aspect of Exile
T1 cheap barracks. Has the Rangari War Training ability (based off Acolyte sacrifice; converts a Vindicator into a Venator).
  • 3Vindicator; basic melee unit, synergises with majority of the techtree very well. Can learn:
    • ^Gift of the Naaru; this unit gains hit points when targeted by a friendly spell.
  • 3Venator; basic ranged unit, converted from a Vindicator via Rangari War Training ability (which requires a Foundry). Has:
    • Equip Hammer; turns this unit back into a Vindicator. Can be cast near any Draenei building you own.
    • Shard Splinter; grants Venator and Skyguard attacks AoE damage. Unlocks at T3.
  • 2Ata'mal Cannon; compact mechanical siege unit, starts out relatively short-ranged. Requires a Foundry to be trained. Can be upgraded with:
    • Crystalline Dust; applies a Dust of Appearance effect to the Cannon's area-of-effect attack.
    • *Nether-infused Volleys; adds attack range and damage, making the Cannon the highest DPS/food siege unit of all existing races.
Unique tech building. Unlocks construction of the Menagerie and Sacred Cloister.
  • Grace of A'dal; grants Naaru bonus movement speed and a mana regeneration aura, allowing them to support your spellcasters.
  • Adopt Aspect of Light; unlocks various units and researches, adds a HP regen bonus to heroes that Pray at this Shrine.
  • Adopt Aspect of Exile; unlocks various units and researches, adds invisibility to heroes that Pray at this shrine.
It should be noted that a single Shrine can adopt both Aspects. However, for the quickest tier 2 timing, players are encouraged to build 2 Shrines, and each one adopt a separate Aspect. I've theorycrafted it so that timings and costs are comparable and relatively balanced vs. the melee races. Maybe it only works out on paper.
Lumber mill and contains weapons/armour upgrades. Unlocks various units and researches.
  • Crystal Aegis; passive ability, allows nearby Crystal Refuges to activate Aegis State, giving them the ability to attack units.
  • Blessed Architecture; T2, gives buildings hit point regeneration. Has a second level upgrade that unlocks at T3.
  • Various attack/armour upgrades; won't bother listing them.
Unique static defense. Can load Artificers inside to not only protect them, but provide a healing aura that affects mechanical units and structures.
  • De/activate Aegis State: allows the Refuge to attack units like regular towers, but disables the healing aura. The more Artificers are loaded, the greater the number of attack targets (based off Siege Engine's Barrage ability). Requires a nearby Foundry.
Summons heroes. Revives slain heroes.
  • 5Crusader; agility DPS/support hero. Excels at dealing damage and supporting front-line troops.
    • Smite; deals damage to a target unit, as well as stunning it and other nearby foes.
    • Divine Advent; teleports to a location, boosting the attack damage of allies near that location.
    • Ardent Blades; has a 25% chance to deal bonus damage and heal nearby allied units.
    • Litany of Fury; ultimate, greatly bolsters attack speed, movement speed, and HP regen of the Crusader and any allied units next to him. Lasts a while.
  • 5Aldori Exarch; ranged strength support hero. Excels at keeping units alive, works best from the back-line.
    • Kindred Spirit; heals the Exarch and the target. The target will also distribute a percentage of any damage taken to the Exarch. This pseudo-spirit link effect lasts for a few seconds.
    • Summon Guardian; summons a stoic Guardian with a melee attack and high hit points to tank damage.
    • Resilience Aura; grants additional armour. Attacked allied units also gain a speed boost to help escape -or pursue- attackers.
    • Astral Portal; channeling ultimate, summons a portal anywhere on the map where allied units can enter and arrive at the Exarch's location. Basically allows her to recall allied troops and give them a get-out-of-jail-free card.
  • 5Kurenai Sage; short-range intelligence disruptor hero. Excels at annoying enemy ranks.
    • Tempest; channels forth a giant whirlwind at a target location, slowing down and dealing damage to enemies caught in it.
    • Solitude; turns invisible. Should the Sage break invisibility with an attack, the attack target is Silenced.
    • Mana Ward; summons a ward that drains mana from nearby enemy spellcasters and gives it to the Sage.
    • Elemental Wrath; channeling ultimate, unleashes alternating rounds of shockwaves (similar to Tauren Chieftain ability), whirlwinds (knocks back nearby units) and thunderbolts (stuns air units). Works best when against a variety of enemy units.

All heroes have Prayer. Sue me if the Sage is a broken draenei that doesn't worship the Light, he's praying to the elements.
T1.5/T2 bestial production building. Some beasts can be ridden by Vindicators or Venators.
  • 3Salamander; spell immune ranged support. Can learn:
    • Mana Surge; basically an AoE Purge.
  • ^3Elekk; fast, tough unit with a siege attack. Can learn:
    • ^Resilient Hides; reduces damage from piercing attacks. Available at T3
    • ^Elekk Bonding; allows Vindicators to mount Elekks and create Elekk Knights. Available at T3
    • ^6Elekk Knight; T3 heavy melee unit with a siege attack. Has Resilient Hides and Dismount.
  • *2Nether Ray; stealthy anti-air unit. Has Nether Veil (basically a shorter duration Windwalk that reduces speed instead).
    • *Skyguard Training; allows Venators to mount Nether Rays and create Skyguards. Available immediately.
    • *5Skyguard; stealth flyer with a piercing attack. Has Nether Veil and Dismount. Can learn Shard Splinter (from the Bastion).
T1.5/T2 caster building. For the Broken Seer and Anchorite, their latter 2 abilities obviously require Adept/Master.
  • 2Broken Seer; versatile caster with relatively strong DPS (for a mage). Has the abilities:
    • Clairvoyance; grants a target unit True Sight.
    • Purify; removes all buffs from a target unit. If the unit is an ally, it gains mana per buff removed. If the unit is an enemy summon, it is dealt damage.
    • Ancestral Mirage; summons an illusion that takes 200% damage and deals 50% damage. With this ability, you can easily use the Seer as a DPS ranged unit.
  • ^2Anchorite; supportive caster. Has the abilities:
    • Seal of Protection; grants bonus armour and HP regen to a target friendly unit. Autocast.
    • Negation Shield; channeling, gives spell immunity to a target friendly unit.
    • Divine Word; target unit gains a strong healing aura. Think of this spell as a Lightning Shield that heals.
  • *3Soulbinder; unique disabler with a ranged normal attack that hits ground units. Has:
    • Soul Bind; channeling, greatly reduces the movement speed and attack damage of a target enemy unit. If the Soulbinder is Ethereal, Soul Bind also Banishes the target unit.
    • Ethereal Trance; turns the Soulbinder Ethereal for a few seconds. Cast this before casting Soul Bind to give Soul Bind a banish effect.

Again, sue me if all these casters have varying beliefs in lore. This Cloister is multi-religious!
T3 ultimate production building.
  • 6Netherwing; mobile air support, high HP and speed but low DPS. Can toggle between Radiant and Nether Pulse:
    • Radiant Pulse; every few seconds, 2 nearby allied units are buffed with more armour and speed.
    • Nether Pulse; every few seconds, 2 nearby enemy units are debuffed with less armour and speed.

Originally, the 'Pulse' was going to be an 'Aura', but that would mean you only need 1 Netherwing to bolster your entire army.
Hopefully, the 'Twilight' Aerie and toggle-able pulses hint at the fact that this unit is a merging of Light and Exile aspects. It was hard inventing a heavy air unit for the Draenei, alright!
Shop building, unlocks Ata'mal Cannons and Soulbinders. Sells:
  • T1: Infused Shard (mini-heal ward), Crystal Artifice (tiny Crystal Refuge), Rod of Recall (teleports a unit you control to the hero)
  • T2: Potion of HP, Potion of Mana, Scroll of TP
  • T3: Orb of Retribution (+5 attack, reduces the attack target's attack), Nether Crystal (casts Cloud at the target point this item is used on)

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Welp, we can pack it up, everyone. GhostThruster won this one. I don't even like Draenei & his techtree is da bomb. I have a few gripes, but it's 'cuz I'm a stodgy old race-maker. Love your names, and most of your ability ideas. I particularly liked how you stole some Zerg highlights; regenerating buildings & dat sweet flying Food-producing unit I've always wanted to use somewhere. Noice.

By the way, it sounds like your Cloister is an "interfaith" consortium. ; )

I really oughta get to work. :< I've been so caught up responding to people... And I don't want to let my responses to the HC#8 Judging go too long either. Sigh.

Welp, we can pack it up, everyone. GhostThruster won this one.
it's that time of the year when ghostthruster posts his finished techtree outline before he's anywhere close to finishing world editor work!
Tsk, tsk, tsk, Kyrbi0. Admittedly, that's a pretty neat techtree. I hope you get to finish it in the editor! :)

Welp, we can pack it up, everyone. GhostThruster won this one. I don't even like Draenei & his techtree is da bomb. I have a few gripes, but it's 'cuz I'm a stodgy old race-maker. Love your names, and most of your ability ideas. I particularly liked how you stole some Zerg highlights; regenerating buildings & dat sweet flying Food-producing unit I've always wanted to use somewhere. Noice.

By the way, it sounds like your Cloister is an "interfaith" consortium. ; )
Haha relax, I posted my techtree last contest and didn't even finish that one :D if you have the time, please do tell me what your gripes are! funny, i'd originally imagined i'd steal from protoss, who imo, blizzard stole off when creating the draenei race.

yes, the Cloister does not discriminate ;) tbf though the orc spirit lodge has just as much religious diversity (shamanism, voodoo, earthmother stuff which is kinda shamanistic). technically, soulbinders also follow the holy light so unless an actual wow player can correct me there's that.

Level 15
Pretty decent. Can't say much before I try it in the game. Biggest problem I have when people are making these custom races is the fact that everyone is going overboard with that "uniqueness". What am I talking about? Well, I am mainly talking about those aspects and that racial ability (I know Night Elves also have it, but still, I feel like Shadowmeld is a lot more minor than this one). I have played races like those before. And, it just doesn't feel like I am playing WC3 "made-by Blizzard" race, that everyone is aiming to achieve.

Well, basically Jungle Troll Witch Doctors are shamans of Jungle Troll race. So Spirit Lodge has 3 "shamans" as units. Also Soulbinders are Draenei shadow priests, while Anchorites are holy priests!

Keep up with the good work, mate! :smile:

Pretty decent. Can't say much before I try it in the game. Biggest problem I have when people are making these custom races is the fact that everyone is going overboard with that "uniqueness". What am I talking about? Well, I am mainly talking about those aspects and that racial ability (I know Night Elves also have it, but still, I feel like Shadowmeld is a lot more minor than this one). I have played races like those before. And, it just doesn't feel like I am playing WC3 "made-by Blizzard" race, that everyone is aiming to achieve.

Well, basically Jungle Troll Witch Doctors are shamans of Jungle Troll race. So Spirit Lodge has 3 "shamans" as units. Also Soulbinders are Draenei shadow priests, while Anchorites are holy priests!

Keep up with the good work, mate! :smile:
as one of the few people on the hive that plays melee, i can definitely see your point about going so unique it's not blizzard-like. but these contests don't really have the "infrastructure" to encourage proper adherence to the blizzard formula. moreover, i think one should be encouraged to make wacky mechanics so long as it's balanced. whether my race will be balanced or not is another question :p
i can't vouch for the Aspects, but i can almost 100% guarantee the racial ability will be fine. it's basically there to compensate for clarity potions, and give the shrines some usage after they're built. now the naaru food source, rangari war training, and lack of a proper tower on the other hand...

yes, but a shaman equivalent is not the same as a shaman. a priest is the human's equivalent of a shaman, but you would hardly equate those two :p soulbinders still technically believe in the light.

thank you, this race has been a long time coming so i definitely will!

That all looks promising.

Keep in mind I will be testing them against the standard races on insane so try to balance them with that in mind.

OMG GhostTruster also have a Draenei race as his entry, I'm also planning to submit one for this contest. GGWP

Please refer to the OP and follow the submission rules.
  • Post here if you intend to compete, what race, and if it is a revision of previous work. Please also provide a link to the previous work. If you entered it in a previous contest or have it uploaded to the map section provide the link(s). If you have not previously shared it please attach it to your post.

those weaknesses also make them very unreliable measures of balance in some ways. for example, you can't judge a race's economy/base protection because the A.I will never rush or harass your workers.

That is true. I am capable of judging resource intake though. It's something that you learn over time balancing a race as even a one gold or lumber change per cycle can have drastic effects.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
those weaknesses also make them very unreliable measures of balance in some ways. for example, you can't judge a race's economy/base protection because the A.I will never rush or harass your workers.
I agree with that premise, but for stuff like that you can sorta build around the idea if not the reality: i.e. "my workers will be harassed in a normal game; what's their defense?"

That is true. I am capable of judging resource intake though. It's something that you learn over time balancing a race as even a one gold or lumber change per cycle can have drastic effects.
Again, o_O.

Level 19
I'm planning to join this contest and I will be recreating my Sha'tari faction as my entry. This faction was created a few years ago which should also be with 3 more races which is unfortunately, I haven't finished all work. I attached my work in this post so you could check it out.

Attachments

• (8)Zangarmarsh-AlteredMelee.w3x
    6.5 MB · Views: 125
Standard WC3 Insane players cheat at the game (free 2x gold whenever gold is mined), so wouldn't it be better to balance against Normal opponents who are technically playing a fair and unbiased standard wc3 race against us?

Maybe we just need to have some kind of tournament for fun where everybody plays the races against everybody else.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Standard WC3 Insane players cheat at the game (free 2x gold whenever gold is mined), so wouldn't it be better to balance against Normal opponents who are technically playing a fair and unbiased standard wc3 race against us?

Maybe we just need to have some kind of tournament for fun where everybody plays the races against everybody else.
Except for how little time I have, this is a great idea. : )

I've attempted to set that up in previous TC's. The problem is there are large time zone and schedule differences typically.

Once when I was doing placement matches in SC2 shortly after release I got matched to a Protoss player who's name I recognized. It happened to be the #1 ranked in NA, I lasted ~7 minutes. Insane does cheat, but it feels like I am playing someone with 300 APM and it forces me to push everything to it's limit. For instance if you tell me in your hero description that it's a "brawler/tank" you can bet I'm going to through it right into the middle of combat.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I've attempted to set that up in previous TC's. The problem is there are large time zone and schedule differences typically.

Once when I was doing placement matches in SC2 shortly after release I got matched to a Protoss player who's name I recognized. It happened to be the #1 ranked in NA, I lasted ~7 minutes. Insane does cheat, but it feels like I am playing someone with 300 APM and it forces me to push everything to it's limit. For instance if you tell me in your hero description that it's a "brawler/tank" you can bet I'm going to through it right into the middle of combat.
Geez you are like the real deal. No wonder you got to go to Valhalla before us. :<

Oh I'm sorry, 'Blizzard'.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
The perfectionist in me cringes at the idea of a partial entry :/
I do hope I can motivate myself to at least make something playable, though.
Join the Failure Club, man. It's great down here.

Spellbound said:
Also, random idea: Discord chat for Hive and/or Techtree contests?
Um, sure? I've already got Discord downloaded for chatting with other Wc3C modding vets, so why not.