• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Advanced Techtree Contest - Recycle, Revise, Reinvent

Hm. So I guess what I'm saying is that that's an extra 15 points that someone can get over another person, merely by using a previous work (granted that's the point of the Contest). I could flub up entirely on one section, but because I used previous work I have access to 15 more points than the other guy who just went from scratch.

I guess it feels like it should be smaller, and also less like extra credit (can pull you down as well).

~

When you say "established", do you mean "finished"? I already posted earlier with my intentions & all that, but I never finished & so never uploaded it.

You're focusing on the total points instead of the percentages. Here is an example:

User A is starting from scratch.
Area scores total 68/75 for a 90.6% prior to vote.

User B starts with a previous entry.
Area scores total 72/75 for a 96% prior to vote.
Then, as it turns out, this user did little to improve upon their race. In particular they failed to address specific remarks from past judges.
They receive 5/15 of the additional points for a new total of 77/90 or 85.5% prior to vote.

I should add, as I will be one of the judges, that the additional field will have a high bar.

What are the things again that we have to change in the map?

In terms of your race? I'm not sure what you mean.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
You're focusing on the total points instead of the percentages. Here is an example:

User A is starting from scratch.
Area scores total 68/75 for a 90.6% prior to vote.

User B starts with a previous entry.
Area scores total 72/75 for a 96% prior to vote.
Then, as it turns out, this user did little to improve upon their race. In particular they failed to address specific remarks from past judges.
They receive 5/15 of the additional points for a new total of 77/90 or 85.5% prior to vote.

I should add, as I will be one of the judges, that the additional field will have a high bar.
Fair enough, thanks for the explanation.

Finally, in regard to "does little to improve on a race // specifically, ignoring Judge's past remarks", how does that factor in to an incomplete, not-turned-in entry? Will you simply be looking at "how much more did he complete" or "how different it is from the original" (which you'd probably need to see the original to be able to tell)?

Fair enough, thanks for the explanation.

Finally, in regard to "does little to improve on a race // specifically, ignoring Judge's past remarks", how does that factor in to an incomplete, not-turned-in entry? Will you simply be looking at "how much more did he complete" or "how different it is from the original" (which you'd probably need to see the original to be able to tell)?

I'm going to send out a PM here in a few minutes to those I've seen express interest. Any contestant needs to post their previous work here. There's a bit of an honor system here for unpublished work but I assure you that anyone failing to disclose that will be found out eventually.

Let's say you have a race you've worked on for several years on and off. You give me a current copy and it is 90% complete. The contest ends and I compare your final entry and you have done an additional 1%. You are going to score very low in the Development field. Other fields will be unaffected. This method is comparing you against yourself - for Development you set your own bar.

So how about the map name and description?
Can we change that?

You can change anything you want as long it it follows the rules and conditions in the original post.

I get the sense you may not understand that if you are using previous work it must be your previous work. If I am mistaken my apologies.

Level 10
I am joining, my race will be called the Mystic Elves, I am starting from scratch.
Short Description: Mystic Elves are magic wielding humanoids blessed by the moon. They use the powers of the Moon and the Arcane to fight swiftly, intelligently, and strongly on the battlefield.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Good luck, but
I am joining, my race will be called the Night Elves, I am starting from scratch.
Short Description: Night Elves are magic wielding humanoids blessed by the moon. They use the powers of the Moon and Nature to fight swiftly, intelligently, and strongly on the battlefield.
as you can see from my editing, you're going to have an uphill battle making it balanced/different-enough from one of the current Standard races. o_O

I've updated my original post with the requisite information.

//EDIT// - Geez, just checked the date and it was exactly two years ago that I worked on this. Criminy.

It is my hope that people will use this contest as a way to revisit their old ideas and improve upon them with what you have learned since then. So far so good.

I am joining, my race will be called the Mystic Elves, I am starting from scratch.
Short Description: Mystic Elves are magic wielding humanoids blessed by the moon. They use the powers of the Moon and the Arcane to fight swiftly, intelligently, and strongly on the battlefield.

Thank you.

Level 10
The moon doesn't play a big part on the race and will mostly depend on magic.

There might be more to them than just the Arcane and a small part of the moon.

I might add Frost Magic, Natural Personality, Lightning Magic, and something else if I think of another, the race will be a mix of these things but won't be very different that it's like many races.

Last edited:
What I have learned: actually finish the friggin' race instead of looking for custom resources
or make your own ;) (and fail to finish your techtree in time thereafter)

Can't wait to see GT's Draeneis!
just for you mate, here's a sneak peek. hopefully one day i'll get to updating the other 3 races :p

Attachments

• dran1.png
    dran1.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 775
Level 15
Heh, I really hope so! I still rember your promise of completely updating your map with all races re-done in some way. Nagas you did for another tech-tree contest are simply amazing. About that screenshot, I see that you are using mix between broken and normal Draeneies. Also what is Couatl doing there?

Heh, I really hope so! I still rember your promise of completely updating your map with all races re-done in some way. Nagas you did for another tech-tree contest are simply amazing. About that screenshot, I see that you are using mix between broken and normal Draeneies. Also what is Couatl doing there?
there'll be 2 broken units, a caster and a hero. the couatl will be turned into a nether ray soon(ish)

so i have done barely any work on my techtree

BUT

this contest motivated me to make a neat model: Nether Ray
now, to actually work on the race it was made for...

That turned out wonderful! Needs TC though. Was there going to be another animation? I ask because the spell animation has morph in it.

Level 10
I did change some models of my units. I'll just update this post once I upload the picture.
full
Current Work: Finishing Upgrades, checking everything, Working on Size of all units and buildings + their stats. Then Go to spells for units first then the Heroes, then everything else, hoping to have something that can be playable by humans in the next couple of weeks.

Last edited:
ever reach points in your projects where you lose all enthusiasm, then have an epiphany to redesign huge parts of your project in order to regain that enthusiasm? that's what's happened to me, i've spent like a week braincrafting replacement ideas and imagining how it would play out... instead of actually doing work :L

looking for inspiration and being bored, i played @Spellbound's british folktales entry from the mythology contest. i just wanted to give a poorly-timed mention that i enjoyed that race very much. very poorly balanced economy, but everything else was exemplary. unfortunately they bear very little resemblance with draenei, so i won't be stealing any ideas from there.
i feel like one day we should collect all the winning techtree entries into one map and battle it out, otherwise these forgotten entries lose so much potential and undeservedly fade into obscurity.