• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WARCRAFT III: REFORGED PATCH NOTES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Yikes. People really love to hate, huh?

Blizzard has been slow with fixing their shit in terms of classic wc3 patches, wont deny that. But if I purely judge reforged:

In terms of game releases there are almost no bugless games on launch day. How about giving them a week before hopping on the hate train.
I am not the most hopeful that everything will be fixed in a week, but expecting a bugless experience on launch day is delusional.
Agreed about the bugs. As I've said many times most of them will be sorted out in three weeks or so after "the inital patching phase".

However cinematics are still going to be the same as classics(apart from the intro, made for Blizzcon 2018 and the very lame Arthas vs Illidan). Campaigns are still going to be the same as in classic(with only three chapters changed a bit) and some minor details here and there, but nothing even worth mentioning. The lighting and shading are still gonna look bad. The Campaigns are still gonna be very easy for an average player, even on hard. Besides the easiness, the game is pretty much identical as it was, with the new graphics, so imo not worth the price.
People who think like this, have imo every right to complain.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
honky dory.
img_0290.jpg
How Reforged tastes.
Working with legacy code is worse than doing it from scratch, ask any programmer. They will agree.
No one asked them to do it. No excuse.
If they delayed it again there would be another shit show on the internet, so they picked their poison I guess.
It's their problem that they went pre-order way not releasing it properly when ready.

Level 18
So you are flaming Blizzard
Find one quote I made the past that can be considered "flaming Blizzard".

because you are literary running on the minimum specified requirements?
That was not my point. As others have pointed out on the official forums, 4GB RAM is not enough to run this game anymore, so the minimum requirements are incorrect. I cannot actually log in like many others right now, but I can tell you if just getting to the main menu already takes over 80% of my RAM, I'm sure when actually running the game, even in classic mode, I will require more than 4GB. So I am not criticizing Blizzard because hurr why can I not play when my pc barely meets the minimum system requirements, I am criticizing them for making the client incredibly bloated when the old TFT client was perfectly fine.
Is it really too much to ask that I can play a 20 year old game on a 5 year old pc?

Nor does it detect all of them.
There is a huge list of bugs that has existed almost since the announcement of Reforged, that has still not been addressed.
They already delayed the game once, which is more than many other companies would have done.
If they delayed it again there would be another shit show on the internet, so they picked their poison I guess.
This is all well and good, but I personally (I doubt I'm alone in feeling this) would much prefer if they took the time they needed to give us something half decent.
People complain about lightning (among maaaany other nitpicks), most of which are far from gamebreaking.
It doesn't technically break our current custom maps, but it sure make a LOT of premium quality maps look like utter shit. It makes some of Hive's best works a complete and utter visual disaster.
And it is your main way of getting around, it is not gamebreaking - true. But it does handicap you severly.
But, a lot of the bugs that came with the new patch are game breaking. Like the instant defeat screen, people not able to open the game at all, and the list goes on.

Level 20
Hahahahahaha, I've actually lost the last undead mission with 1 second remaining :D I have to say, the final surprise attack is quite funny :D
Managed to beat this and... as good as it felt to overcome a challenge, the end cutscene was so disappointing - literally copy-paste from the original. Zero effort stuff, just like pretty much most of the undead campaign. Oh, well...

Level 4
What's with the blizzardBrowser.exe (is that chrome?) using more ram/cpu than the game? several processes by the way
Also any way to change the brigthness? game is darker than the original
Can't create custom games while online

Feels somewhat good that many people, myself included, complaining and foreshawoding this would happen on previous PTR patch threads, got vindicated

People defending Blizzard with the "no time" excuse, see the loading screen messages, they had time to add that petty stuff

Last edited:
Level 9

Blizzard has been slow with fixing their shit in terms of classic wc3 patches, wont deny that. But if I purely judge reforged:

In terms of game releases there are almost no bugless games on launch day. How about giving them a week before hopping on the hate train.
I am not the most hopeful that everything will be fixed in a week, but expecting a bugless experience on launch day is delusional.
Its not about bugs. Its about forcing 30gb of garbage down throats of those who didn't sign up for it. Its about not working editor. Its about promises - like altered campaigns - being fulfilled to absolute minimum.
Basically its about Blizzard being Bethesda here. Or even EA.

Level 27

Yes, because people loves to be "Toxic", Or "Fandom Menace", instead of just playing their own damned games.

Oh the humanity!

Come on, Blizzard had two years to patch everything critical on classic, and then going to Reforged with a clean record to work on the aspects they really desire, the multiplayer and E-Sports. But instead they decided to crunch everything as it was going, and this is the result. A half cooked HD mod with many promises not satisfied for the paying customer, and the ones using classic with a game still broken.

Level 13
A question for someoneo who has Reforged. Are red Sucubusses still missing, do Doomguards still have the same hornes? I wonder is it just me cause I don't have Reforged, or is it with everyone?

Wrda

Spell Reviewer
Level 25
All games takes years to make and all of them have some amount of bugs.
This is nothing unique to reforged.
Shit man, imgine taking a life time to make 1 game completly bugfree.
A good game takes sort of 1~5 years.

No. When a game releases you expect it actually work. Of course there can be minor bugs and some problems.
But the small problem here in Reforged is...
IT'S FUCKING BROKEN MAN NOTHING WORKS... DOWNLOADING THIS GAVE ME THIS 30GB GARBAGE THAT I CAN'T EVEN USE. CAN'T PLAY OFFLINE. WHEN I OPEN WORLD EDITOR AND TRIED TO PLACE SOME UNITS, IT LAGGED FOR 5 SECONDS JUST TO PLACE A FREAKING CASTLE. WENT TO TRIGGERS MESSED AROUND AND AFTER A WHILE IT LAGGED FOR 10 SECONDS "WORLD EDITOR STOPPED WORKING" I THOUGHT IT WAS GOING TO CRASH BUT NOT. HOLY SHIT UNOPTIMIZED AS HELL EVEN WITH 16GB RAM IT LAGS OH MY FREAKING GOD ROFLMAOCOPTER

No comment. Reforged releases and what happens? Nothing happens, big failure. I call that lack of competence.
How can you even say this is a bug when it is obviously broken??? That's delusional.
Even indie developers can do a lot better than this.

Level 4
I don't remember if I said this already. I was looking forward to the campaign... Hard is easy as fuck. Could they at least make a brutal difficulty?
I'm throwing in my towel, sorry for doubting all of you "haters" ^^ Don't nerf a game we have played for soon two decades.

I hope they will fix things the next 3 weeks. I guess thats how the industry does things these days.

And whats up with imported stuff in the editor? Someone probably explained this to me earlier but I can't find it.

Level 16

No Chaosy.. you know it in your heart, Blizzard FUCKED UP. Face it. they. fucked. up. BIG time.
The ONLY bright side for me is, I didn't preorder, and because of the money issue, that I could forgive. I'm glad I didn't support this clusterfuck monetarily, at least. I was supporting for the whole 2 fucking years leading up to in, with the prequel of 7+ years of literally BEGGING on every forum and petition for Warcraft 4 or at least a Warcraft 3 remaster.

I have a right to be mad, cos they didn't meet expectations that they promised. This relationship has ended.

If your main play mode was removed upon release of the patch without notification you would not be saying this.
this. I play custom campaigns, some of my favourites, multiple times a year. It's my jam. They not only forced me to download 30Gb of data (which in my rage I force closed and removed wc3 immediately), but also made it impossible for me to enjoy the base damn game, which I play religiously since childhood.

*This is not only addressed to you personally, but to everyone who feels that they need to defend Blizzard at this point. They fucked up, with a group of people more than others, but they did fuck up.

BTHW: If working on legacy code is more difficult than a new one, WHO STOPPED them from making A NEW GAME?. say, call it Warcraft 3: EXPANSION or hear me now, Warcraft 4.

They done fucked up, and you know it.

face it boys, Warcraft 3 is dead. Time to move on to better games. Go play Subnautica.

Edit: The saddest part is.. they said they're doing this not to separate the community.. and keep the players together. How?.. they just decapitated the base game in a shape of an update.. with no warning.. nothing. NOTHING. it was just another UPDATE.. I was ingame and click YES on the update. imagine that.

Lt6AhGf.jpg

Last edited:
Level 10
Welp. I love trying to be positive, but this doesn't seem to deserve that type of attention.
And I was one of those saying to give it a chance originally. Damn shame to see Blizzard these days just not being what it was.
...Ah well, I've got a bunch of other games to keep my attention, among other things.

@Chaosy people has the right to hate because they bought the product Blizzard promised to be a wonderful one, but they served as a pile of garbage and told us that "it's fine, it's edible anyway". You know you had to tell it to them, or else they will keep cashgrabbing their customers and at the same time, serve the same pile of crap.

I have had high hopes for this patch, even planning to buy it later this year, but the amount of disappointment they have given to us makes me think that it is not worth it anymore.

Good thing I still have 1.26 (which I use to play with the RGC community) and 1.29. I would to try Lua tho, but seeing Blizzard kill the current community and having ownership to something that I created just sucks.

It was a good decision to leave modding years ago, I have had spent my creativity somewhere that is worth giving, and does not constrain me to the limits. I still have yet to see how Blizzard massacres the new games.

Arthas: Glad you could remake it, Uther.
Uther: Watch your budget with me, boy. You may be my employer but I’m still your superior as a Lead Software Engineer.
Arthas: As if I could forget. Listen, Uther, there's something about Reforged you should know. Oh no. It's too late. These players have all preordered the game. They may look fine now, but it's a matter of time before they ask for a refund.
Uther: What?
Arthas: This entire classic client must be purged.
Uther: How can you even consider that? There's got to be some other way!
Arthas: Damn it, Uther. As Activision-Blizzard, I order you to purge Classic.
Uther: You are not the real Blizzard anymore, boy. Nor would I obey that command if you were!
Arthas: Then I must consider this an act of treason.
Uther: Treason? Have you lost your mind, Arthas?
Arthas: Have I? Lord Uther, by my right to work law and ownership of Warcraft IP, I hereby relieve you from your command and suspend your developers from service.
Jaina: Arthas, you can't just...
Arthas: It's done! Those of you who have the will to reforge, follow me. The rest of you... get out of my sight.
Uther: You've just crossed a terrible threshold, Arthas.

Source: Arthas: Glad you could remake it, Uther. : warcraft3

Level 26
I wasn't really expecting anything given Blizzard has been practically pretending Reforged wasn't happening, yet I'm still disappointed, maybe even a bit upset. I am honestly curious what the hell happened? They promised us quite a lot when they originally announced the game back at BlizzCon 2018, but we got nothing but updated graphics? What was even the point? Seriously, what happened to the development of this game? This would all be fine if a graphics update was all they advertised (though no way in hell I would pay 30 EUR for that either), but they said this game would be so much more, and it's just... nothing.

And the removal of the custom campaigns functionality? Yeah, I'm sure they'll add it again at some point, but the mere fact that it wasn't included at release is infuriating. They abandoned the game and then released a botched version, all while crippling the original version along with it. Awesome. I don't see myself ever doing anything with my campaigns in Reforged. This is just insulting. Wish I could just play an older version again without needing to download a cracked copy.

Level 3
i can't help it, i feel obliged to post this here, i never imagined the new female models would be this lazily designed for the classic game, god they look so bad, at least i got a good laught out of them

Wrda

Spell Reviewer
Level 25
Arthas: Glad you could remake it, Uther.
Uther: Watch your budget with me, boy. You may be my employer but I’m still your superior as a Lead Software Engineer.
Arthas: As if I could forget. Listen, Uther, there's something about Reforged you should know. Oh no. It's too late. These players have all preordered the game. They may look fine now, but it's a matter of time before they ask for a refund.
Uther: What?
Arthas: This entire classic client must be purged.
Uther: How can you even consider that? There's got to be some other way!
Arthas: Damn it, Uther. As Activision-Blizzard, I order you to purge Classic.
Uther: You are not the real Blizzard anymore, boy. Nor would I obey that command if you were!
Arthas: Then I must consider this an act of treason.
Uther: Treason? Have you lost your mind, Arthas?
Arthas: Have I? Lord Uther, by my right to work law and ownership of Warcraft IP, I hereby relieve you from your command and suspend your developers from service.
Jaina: Arthas, you can't just...
Arthas: It's done! Those of you who have the will to reforge, follow me. The rest of you... get out of my sight.
Uther: You've just crossed a terrible threshold, Arthas.

Source: Arthas: Glad you could remake it, Uther. : warcraft3
Holy shit, I died here.

@deepstrasz
If only megacritic was here, would rate that 2020/10.

Level 3

I agree on the above&beyond-hate-train for things that can be fixed.

My issue is; I payed for Wc3. I also bought the expansion.
I've played the original game almost since release, and I love it as it is.

Now, they're forcing me to buy the "update", with graphics I personally do not like.
They even put SHADOWS behind a paywall...
So things that worked perfectly fine before, is now blocked from my game because I didn't buy Reforged.

They should've put Reforged as a new game, kind of like they did with Wow and Classic.
But no. I have to pay for a game, I never wanted, in order to enjoy what I initially allready payed for.
That's pure BS, and that is why I hate.

Level 3
Agreed about the bugs. As I've said many times most of them will be sorted out in three weeks or so after "the inital patching phase".

yeah, like how they fixed those beta bugs that were clearly reported to them and still around in the final release even after they delayed the game, these arguments are void when it comes to blizzard, they have the money and manpower to properly QA a game and they didn't even bother to try with reforged, and that's just laziness and ineptitude from their part and really shows how little they cared about this project since the very beginning

the worse thing is how the game is basically just a model swap you pay 30$ to have access to, not even a new game made completely from scratch, at least there you would kinda have a point since the game could either be massive or very ambitious so bugs are to be expected, but this is a remaster, a remaster of a 18 year old game, and blizzard couldn't be bother to properly support it, let that sink in for a second, stop blindingly defending multibillion corporations just because you feel the need to go against the "hate", blizzard deserves every backslash they are currently getting

Level 4
I agree on the above&beyond-hate-train for things that can be fixed.

Even if we isolate just this argument... this is supposed to be an official release. It's even worse than the beta, which was crap too. On these grounds alone, the whole "it's launch day, you shouldn't hate all the bugs" argument is void. It isn't just a couple of launch day bugs that everyone is upset about.

Furthermore, it's important to recognize the diversity of the War3 community--different people played the game for different reasons (modding, multiplayer, competitive, campaigning, terrain showcasing, cinematics, etc.). That means that there was even more of a demand for most aspects of the game to be fulfilling, and they are not.

Level 3
Even if we isolate just this argument... this is supposed to be an official release. It's even worse than the beta, which was crap too. On these grounds alone, the whole "it's launch day, you shouldn't hate all the bugs" argument is void. It isn't just a couple of launch day bugs that everyone is upset about.

Furthermore, it's important to recognize the diversity of the War3 community--different people played the game for different reasons (modding, multiplayer, competitive, campaigning, terrain showcasing, cinematics, etc.). That means that there was even more of a demand for most aspects of the game to be fulfilling, and they are not.

And my opinion is that Reforged still shouldn't even be a part of Warcraft 3 in the first place.
I don't care about Reforged at all. Not even enough to discuss the abomination.
But judging by Blizzard's poor maintenance on all their games, and the amount of cash-grabbing updates, I can't say that I'm surprised.

And FYI. Besides the first game startup that gave me black screen until I restarted it, I haven't had 1 single problem with it...

Last edited:
Level 16
Pre-ordered Reforged. Gave it a whirl yesterday.

The game spiked pretty poorly, and the servers were struggling with the connection occasionally, but day 1 server problems is nothing new. The laggy and spikey default game is the bigger issue. The games filled extremely fast, and there was a lot more action in the custom games list than I've seen the last few years. Even with the problems from the outset, it felt a lot more like the Warcraft I enjoyed as a younger man than the Warcraft I have played the last few years.

After the last 2 years and losing 2 almost completed projects to weird updates, I actually managed to recover one of them on Reforged. It feels damn good to get it back, but I can also understand the frustration of people who are losing their maps or parts of it due to Reforged. I also understand for those who didn't hop aboard the extra 30 gigs is a kick in the teeth.

Be mad, demand a quality product, and demand Blizzard follow through on their campaign promises. Don't throw in the towel yet boys, this is the second Renaissance of Warcraft III, and we should ride the new wave of interest in the game to push for Blizzard to fix problems and give us the features they promised. The renewed player base and interest could mean another 10 or 15 years of Warcraft, we just need Blizzard to deliver in a timely manner. Make a post on the Blizz forum, put WCIII2 on the backburner for a week or so, and I bet many of the issues will be ironed out.

P.S. tried some fun battleship map I'd never seen before yesterday. If you're in Reforged get out there and host your favorite maps

Level 12
I spent 3 hours trying to figure out how to add custom music in one of my maps. Yes, 3 hours!! I still haven't been able to do it. Instead of using wav or mp3 format, they are using flac now. I found a way to convert my audio files to flac file. Yes the editor right after that could recognize the file. However, when you start playing the map, the files are somehow corrupted. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.
I tried re-adding the audio files into the map more than 10 times with the same result.

Until they fix most of the problems for custom campaigns and the world editor, I won't get back into it.

PS: Audio files still work. The game now takes mp3, wav and flac. However, its fading in and out function is not working. Furthermore, music list is not working properly. I successfully got my map to work with the intended music. It took me in total almost 6 hours to figure out the music part.

Last edited:
Level 20
this is the second Renaissance of Warcraft III
Uhm... based on what? The fact that there were a lot of people online on launch day? That happens to most well-know titles, it's nothing special. People just hop in to check things out. We can talk about a renessaince after a month or two, once the freshness and release hype wear off.

Ardenaso

HD Model Reviewer
Level 33
Anyway, I've seen the Reforged Siege of Dalaran. So...

I wish they add more unit variety, like Elven Archers, Swordsmen, and Dragonhawks.

Since they added TFT content on an RoC mission, might as well add Hydromancers and Chaplains here

I hope they replace at least one Archmage with an Elven one

How did the Wildkins end up here? They are native to Kalimdor

Bandit Lords are unsettling like are they doing experiments on humans as well?

I appreciate Council Mages but please make them "turn us into sheep" for real at least on Hard difficulty, like spawning mass sorceresses ready to Polymorph our troops to make it harder.

Why are Fordred Aran, Landazar, and Conjuros Rex using generic Archmage models? When you did like almost every models for the named Dreadlords and Paladins (and they're not even complete yet. Mephistroth, Anetheron, Duke Lionheart, Sage Truthbearer, and Ballador the Bright has no models). Why stop halfway?

How about giving them a week before hopping on the hate train.

All games takes years to make and all of them have some amount of bugs.

Gee I wonder what the beta test was for + one month delay? Also, please stop with the "give them a week" mentality; you're literally giving excuses and defending mediocrity. It's the current year and we're supposed to hold them to the highest standards possible.

its a good thing that my laptop didn't get updated so I can still play the original wc3 xD

Good luck with that.

Level 20
How did the Wildkins end up here? They are native to Kalimdor
Jaina didn't seem to be shocked when Medivh told her to go to Kalimdor, so the Kirin'Tor probably know about it. If so, it's actually quite possible that some mages traveled there in search of artifacts or exotic creatures to study and just so happened to bring some Wildkins with them.

Bandit Lords are unsettling like are they doing experiments on humans as well?
Or maybe they just have bandits in their nation and managed to imprison some of them? Not for experiments, as a punishment.

Anyway, did you also notice how pathetically easy this mission was? In the original you at least could lose some units to the forcefield if you were stupid and went in with a lot of ghouls or picked too many fights, but here... The Archmage projecting the forcefield stands like a meter away from its edge, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.