Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

WARCRAFT III: REFORGED PATCH NOTES

Discussion in 'Latest Updates and News' started by Mythic, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Razorclaw_X

Razorclaw_X

Resources:
    Ported Models:
    Resources:
    The EULA is unenforceable since it violates your own copyrights. Even the original War3 EULA had some contradictory things and things that Blizzard didn't enforce in practice in it.

What the EULA is really for is to cover themselves for when they promote Warcraft III by using Footman Frenzy (and they have done this within the past year)

2. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Ported Models:
    Resources:
    They will probably enforce it if a custom game really takes off and becomes popular to the point where it's re-made as a completely new game in a different engine, like Dota 2. Lawsuits would ensue to make sure they get their piece of the cake (which is the whole cake).

3. DracoL1ch

DracoL1ch

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I hate to be right

4. Augustus

Augustus

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yeah, they probably made it to cover their asses if someone rips assets from other games and they get sued for it. I don't think Valve would be too happy if they saw their models in a competitors' game.

5. DracoL1ch

DracoL1ch

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    like if anyone cares about various WC3 sites being flooded with low poly rip offs from various games, right? like if there were sues from Japan's Naruto manga writers for all those anime maps, ye. And totally not because of shitfest with dota 10 years ago

6. Augustus

Augustus

Resources:
    Resources:
    Doesn't Warhammer Total War have similar policies? Afaik, it's the big reason there isn't a Lord of the Rings mod for it (which makes me really sad).

7. DracoL1ch

DracoL1ch

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    no idea, I only care about wc3 right now

8. Devalut

Devalut

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Seems like the EULA appeared to stop more cash cows like dota from escaping blizzards reach, to think they are this salty 10 years later, pathetic.

9. Augustus

Augustus

Resources:
    Resources:
    All I am saying is that the reasons might be similar. Something might have changed legally. Since original WC3 was released before the presumed changes, it might have not applied but now that Reforged is out this might be different. Don't take my word for it, it's just speculation.

Any lawyer around here who can clarify?

10. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Ported Models:
    Resources:
    Well to be fair the EULA was also in place when Dota happened, and Valve did get sued by Blizzard for it (which was later settled).

It's still utter bullshit though.

11. Augustus

Augustus

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yeah, that's strange, although the name DOTA might not have been copyrighted before Valve since the official name is Defense of the Ancients? It's also clear that no one owns the rights to game styles but what about map layout? Or would different art be sufficient to call it different? Jeez, what a mess.

12. Nudl9

Nudl9

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    So does anyone know if classic is playable through ENTconnect? It would be great to use the bad press and attention to get players to a LAN platform before classic community is effectively killed off.

13. Tommi Gustafsson

Tommi Gustafsson

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I think the EULA of the original Warcraft 3 was similar in content, so there's nothing new in this.

14. Augustus

Augustus

Resources:
    Resources:
    Can you give us a link?

15. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Ported Models:
    Resources:
    This was the EULA back in 2018 at least;

"Custom Games are and shall remain the sole and exclusive property of Blizzard. Without limiting the foregoing, you hereby assign to Blizzard all of your rights, title and interest in and to all Custom Games, and agree that should Blizzard decide that it is necessary, you agree to execute future assignments promptly upon receiving such a request from Blizzard. Additionally, Blizzard shall have the right to maintain the Custom Game on Blizzard’s Arcade service even if the developer of the Custom Game requests that Blizzard remove the Custom Game from the Arcade service."

Source.

16. Wrda

Wrda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Man, I have nothing more to say...From Hero to Zero is what this patch looks like.
    About EULA I have no clue, while it makes sense the maps we make are theirs, this copyright bs is insane...now we can't make maps that have completely different mechanics to the point where it is a new game? I'm devastated.

GOOD BYE CRUEL WORLD

17. Nudl9

Nudl9

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I recommend jumping to dota editor or a proper game engine like unity or unreal.

I'm not sure what will happen to custom games though, i guess it's permadead now.

18. maduroman

maduroman

Resources:
    Resources:
    it was active for a while after they removed bots, but nowadays it has been abandoned, you can still use it but its no longer further supported, not sure about eurobattlenet and pre 1.30.1 private servers tho but most of them should be pretty barren unfortunatly...

the original didn't had anything regarding giving ownership of everymap that was hosted on Bnet to blizzard, this is obviously a failsafe to prevent anything like the DOTA 2 incident happening to them ever again, now if a custom map blows up so much that it becomes its own Genre of games, it WILL be blizzard property and they'll claim ownership of it without the creators being able to do anything about it since they agreed to their TOS and hosted the map on their platform in order to play it in the first place

also there were no mentions of copyrighted material not being allowed in maps like now, i don't know how they can enforce it, but they definetly have the rights to according to the new TOS

19. georgo

georgo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Actually you can just create a game with the same mechanics as your map have, but with different game title and names and so on. Blizzard can not patent game mechanics.

20. Augustus

Augustus

Resources:
    Resources:
    Exactly. So don't as long as you don't use models from Dota 2 (for example) you're fine.