• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft III Invitational!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
You're Invited - Warcraft III Invitational!

HiveArticleWC3Invitational_opt.png

Blizzard's Statement:

Over 15 years since the release of Reign of Chaos, Warcraft III has a new major patch coming and your favorite players are throwing the first Warcraft III Invitational to celebrate it!

Hosted by casters Neo and Remo of Back2Warcraft, join us on February 27 and February 28 on Twitch for a slew of special events, including Free-for-All, 4v4’s, and other friendly competitions. Well-known Warcraft III competitors from around the world will be getting together live at Blizzard HQ to showcase their talents in friendly competition!

We love and continue to support our Warcraft III community, and we’re excited to see classic competitors like Manuel “Grubby” Schenkhuizen, Park “Lyn” Joon, and Kim “ReMinD” Sung Sik try out all the new PTR changes for themselves—including balance adjustments to many heroes, 16:9 widescreen support, and more – all playable now on the PTR!

Be sure to tune in for your own sneak peek and check out our PTR patch notes for more information.

Attendees:
• Neo [Observer] Germany
• Remo [Observer] Germany
• Happy [Undead] Russia
• Foggy [Night Elf] Ukraine
• HawK [Human] Russia
• Effect [Human] Sweden
• ReMinD [Night Elf] South Korea
• Lyn [Orc] South Korea
• FoCuS [Orc] South Korea
• LawLiet [Night Elf] South Korea
• Grubby [Orc] Netherlands
• MaDFroG [Undead] Sweden
• Insomnia [Human] Bulgaria
• Tak3r [Orc] Germany

b2w-lineup-png.292965

Remo & Neo

oldschool-lineup-png.292963

Tak3r, Insomnia, MaDFroG and Grubby

western-lineup2-png.292964

Effect, HawK, Happy and Foggy

korean-lineup2-png.292962

ReMinD, Lyn, LawLiet and FoCuS

EDIT:
The invitational has concluded and was a massive success!
You can find replays and highlights of the event here: Blizzard Warcraft3 Invitational 2018 - YouTube

Sources:
[War III] You're Invited - Warcraft III Invitational!
Warcraft 3 Invitational: Patch 1.29 Tournament by RehcraM

Last edited by a moderator:

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
I mean.. cool.
But you cannot fairly compare a special event to a casual day of streaming in another.

Esport such as LoL and CS:GO has hundreds of thousands of viewers on twitch. Plus 20-50k on youtube during their events

So Wc3 is basically dead AF compared to that. There are single streamers that have 30k viewers every day so... yeah..

Maybe I am taking a joke too far ;p

Level 7
I mean.. cool.
But you cannot fairly compare a special event to a casual day of streaming in another.

Esport such as LoL and CS:GO has hundreds of thousands of viewers on twitch. Plus 20-50k on youtube during their events

So Wc3 is basically dead AF compared to that. There are single streamers that have 30k viewers every day so... yeah..

RTS are really small right now, SCII is the following rts with only 4k viewers right now. Dead genre, but a great genre indeed

Level 6
Yeah, those aren't real numbers but who cares we all had fun.

The ball is on Blizzard's roof, it all depends on them, in how do they manage the new patches, the marketing and all the new upcoming stuff in order to gather new players and make old ones come back.

Great night, great opportunity.

PS: it's cristal clear Neo & Remo need more serious time on camera, had a lot of tense (mb awkward?) moments imo haha.

Level 32
Hive mentioned WC3 Invitational - Blizzard addresses patch process and mentions Hive, W3A
Grubby being Grubby Background Grubby
Most of the stream (5h30m, full stream was 7 hours), starts at the 20 minute mark Twitch

I mean.. cool.

unknown.png

These were the top twitch channels at the time. Being number 5 for streaming WC3 is nuts! And being a little over 1/4 the size of a big CSGO tournament is no small feat. And sure, Overwatch League regularly gets 100k-150k viewers for just regular season games and double that during highlighted matches, but that's a modern game with full support from American sports teams, companies, and Blizzard. This is an awesome short notice 2 day event and 22k viewers for a game from 2002!

But yes the WC3 killed WoW is a joke and you have become a party pooper for the rest of eternity.

PS: it's cristal clear Neo & Remo need more serious time on camera, had a lot of tense (mb awkward?) moments imo haha.
Honestly I just think some of the players aren't used to interviews in English or interviews at all lol. Grubby and a few others are an exception, though.

Last edited:

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
I can live with the party pooper title.

I checked on twitch just now, wow remains in the top 10 without any event going on.

I had to scroll down for over a minute before I found wc3, maybe it is barely at top 100.

Note that wow is almost as old as wc3.
Another fun fact is that tibia had more viewers than wc3. A game from.1997

Tibia killed wc3 confirmed

Oh and runescape had more too, a game from 2001
So I guess that killed wc3 too.

I do not even know why the obvious joke triggered me but it clearly did.
Congratulations

Last edited:
Level 24
I can live with the party pooper title.

I checked on twitch just now, wow remains in the top 10 without any event going on.

I had to scroll down for over a minute before I found wc3, maybe it is barely at top 100.

Note that wow is almost as old as wc3.
Another fun fact is that tibia had more viewers than wc3. A game from.1997

Tibia killed wc3 confirmed

Oh and runescape had more too, a game from 2001
So I guess that killed wc3 too.

Congratulations
Jesus christ you must be fun at parties.

On-topic: Great first day; 20k+ viewers is insane. Sadly had to give up after the madfrog vs grubby series due to work the day after (i.e. today). Will be back again tonight though!

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
I do not go to parties for obvious reasons.
The party hosts are grateful

But my ranting about the WoW comparison aside.. I would be keenly interested in seeing how many viewers wc3 will get after this event hopefully brings some awareness
And possibly after the release of 1.29 I suspect view count will spike for quite some time

Last edited:
Level 28
Congratulations
Hahaha it's alright dude. Still I wonder if we will ever get a spike of popularity after this, because from what I've read from the twitch chat yesterday, a big bunch of the viewers were older and nostalgic about seeing those matches with some of those players as if it were tournament matches from 2005. We could get the attention of that public with this special event and update, but I wonder how would the younger public be lured into wc3, while there are big shiny titles like Overwatch out there. We'll have to trust Blizzard publicity capacities and wait for it to be in the battle.net launcher I guess.

Reactions: pyf
Level 11
Oh man, thanks for that. Matt Morris stayed relatively vague, but I was glad to hear that the classic games team were still collecting players' feedback and that 1.29 PTR is only the first step of some other upcoming changes. :xxd::thumbs_up:

They didn't talk about mapping at all though, but it's definitely good to see Blizzard haven't burried WC3 yet :)

Last edited:
Level 3
I loved it! That was my first time watching professional Warcraft 3 players battling out!

I always liked the game, but now i can finally call myself a FAN. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.