• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 3 Reforged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Trust me it wouldnt. Amount of players in Reforged will be gigantic either way since all WoW players will herd there, and people who wanted the next game too. They dont need the crossplay and it's much better to part it from Wc3. Warcraft III will stay intact with all assets made for it while Reforged can be fully retconned and expaneded with no limits, including gameplay changes. Its the best solution.
I'm not concerned about Reforged players, but about classic Warcraft III players. There won't be a lot of them if Blizzard parts Warcraft III in two separate games. Original game players will need the crossplay.

Hey i got a few criticsm about Warcraft Reforged

1. Reforge should stick and stay faitfull to original wc3 concept artstyle .Someting like Sc2-wc3 assets did,but alot better ofc.In a way true remaster would , this aint remaster,its kinda new game that took over wc3 basis, but still far from wc4 .

Skins will allow many tastes , the one who prefer wow alike,hots etc. Make skins faitfull to original wc3, by default ok ?

Skins for different tastes,can be made for campaign, or some they can be purchased ?
its up to you .

Noone gets hurted at the end - my point.

2. Textures are realistic i guess, which is wrong . I didnt see them yet , but i guess unit models are realistic sculpts with cheap textures - kinda ,,walking sculpt units with 0.0000001 % brush touch,, - WHICH makes them too look like CLAY .

It is so cheap that, all of art absence when handpaint parts comes for textures, gets BRIDGED with engine effect - so you got a feeling everything is ok.

To some people it can give a fake feeling of cartoon cause of that clay thing. Which is not true at all , its more like a fake realism . Its not a even true realism,cause its sculpt clay with zero procent of brush touch. The models are just good for machinima cinematics , not for actual gameplay.

---I was hoping that Warcraft 3 Reforge will go Handpainted textures like wow , Realistic sculpts like for example that Dreadlord face from Reforge , and the engine effect come to kill that handpaint so it doesnt go too cartoony , but rather give realistic note (not hardcore realistic) .---

Unfortunately i dont have a best an example of units , but only for 1 building. And its not good example maybe cause it changed colors , and its kinda very handpainted xD .B ut you will understand my point
o3D2grj.png

3. Blizzard games are mainly hand painted or cartoon style textures , like hots moba derivated from it, or like wow which continue where wc3 stops.

Sc2 however is space RTS game and it uses realistic or semi-realistic textures . So tell me , blizz artists are going a handpaint texture style mainly in derivated games from wc3 , why would you make them realistic ,just cause sc2 RTS that has nothing to do with wc3 be texture realistic eh ? . Shouldnt you keep handpaint style of textures since your firm got plenty of artists following this branch and you are well known in this branch? So when you screw , you dont have to differ way to much from others,so everyone abandons you, or time shows this is a failure. Keep a game on blizz road ok,stay in a family ??

4.When i say realistic sculpt it means details on face and maybe some part of naked body , so details can be accent,and i like druglord face sculpt in warcraft 3 reforge very much

However since its RTS bird view, unit models armor and other clothe parts shouldnt be overdosed with details , simply cause its not wc3 style , but also cause they are not fast recognizable in mass fight - cause it makes a visual mess in RTS.

5.About portraits - its very important part,a soul of wc3 , its constantly with you with sounds of a talking character.

There is no need to show up torso,shoulders,hands,head and zoom out camera so i CANT ENJOY face expressions ?

First, cause it loose intimate feeling when you do that , and second you kinda see model ingame alredy , (but even thou this aint strong argument ,theres better solution.

The solution is next : Along with incoming skins,give a 360 degree rotate just like Heroes of The Storm did - So you dont have to show me half of the model zoomed out in portait of Warcraft 3 Reforge. You can show all in lobbys or UI-s whatever

I will give you a fair example: Put grunt face in first plan, and make effect he spit fluids while speaks like in famous RoC cover picture ? How intimate :D

7MeTdx1.jpg

Combination of portrait (face expression) , talk and sound = give a unit a PERSONALITY . And if you play a custom game, where that character kinda have a background story = it will make you remember him .

Dont let reforge becomes a faceless,generic game with no soul, who will be played JUST cause its HD and we got nothing else better. Take about those things blizz plz.

6. Proportions . Wc3 has larger heads - and honestly its 1 of many parts how to recognize units in 1 mili second .

No need to go realistic proportions . Some people say its wow proportions ?

Many WoW models proportions (which isnt RTS,and models are made for totaly diferent camera view) are provenly BAD looking in wc3. They are just maybe nice for pohotshop promotions , ingame are very bad.

7. Environmet - doodads mainly and tiles . Ok , some things like 2 fountain i saw, are good looking and some oher things. Stormwind city tiles are way cartoon for enviroment,and size of orange small bricks are way too small.

Tiles and enviroment not rly color blended, and its also difference between fake realism and cartoon. Those stormwind huge walls/towers bricks must go more handpaint or you make tiles more realistic. Round tiles are good .

8. Art style . Jaina is rly bad-delete her,(Metal plate on her breasts rly,is she footman or sorceress?) footman not good, paladin shorter hair , knights also shorter hair , arthas shoulder armor is kinda angel-light version of wow-hots armor of undead arthas , Militia eh is this Age of Empires or warcraft 3 humans???. Since when blizz humans from wc3 or even wow are CHRISTIAN CRUSADES???

Human worker portrait and icon not same , he should look like you did with icon,add a beard to a man and enlarge eyes a bit so he dont look way too stupid but more funny-stupid-confused-tired like in wc3.

9. I was hoping a remaster will open a new world. Port WoW environment areas in campagin , but still on meele maps keep essence of wc3. Maybe add new races in patch.

Warcraft 3 a source of WoW , to keep a wc3-ish lore as possible but progress environment with WoW areas, ,to kinda balance where wc3 died and to re-alive where it continue to live in WoW - perfectly menage this not to hurt anyone.

A endless world of possibilitys + custom games. Woah! What a potential,and my childish dream ofc.

10. I hope you guys will not screw this . I hope team A is working and helping you,and you are not on your own. And if you do screw : Never forget to make a system that will keep this game alive and bring your bosses a money like skins , and in return we got game upgraded constantly . Cooperate with artists from wow or hots , but keep curse of wc3 . Do everything for this game , do everything you need to improve, tell everyone about its potential

The good thing is whatever we dont like in upcoming Reforge , it has started, and theres no turning back . If they dont care about you there is always option 2 if you screw Reforge: Warcraft 3 Rebirth , just like valve did to improve early dota 2 into dota 2 Reborn.

Last edited:

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
I may be in a minority here, but I still think it would have been a smarter move to remake WC2 instead of WC3.
I would have bought that one, I will not buy this one.

I have too many concerns regarding the future of the original game and its custom scene - I don't give a crap about ladder. I suspect that today's assets will either be unusable for technical reasons or for graphical ones, not fitting into g the new style that I am not a fan of. Gives me Dawn of War 3 vibes.
I can already see them dropping support for the original again some time after release of this new version. I wonder how buggy/not buggy the last patch of the original is going to be.

Level 14
I may be in a minority here, but I still think it would have been a smarter move to remake WC2 instead of WC3.

I have too many concerns regarding the future of the original game and its custom scene - I don't give a crap about ladder. I suspect that today's assets will either be unusable for technical reasons or for graphical ones, not fitting into g the new style that I am not a fan of. Gives me Dawn of War 3 vibes.
I can already see them dropping support for the original again some time after release of this new version. I wonder how buggy/not buggy the last patch of the original is going to be.

Thats what makes me the saddest

All the hard work and creations over the last few decades worth of Hive assets. All gone because of how hard they are going to clash with new style.
Custom Campaign creators probably demoralized or dropping projects altogether when the more then likely weekly patches when it goes live will break their stuff every week if the PTR the last year has been any indication.

If they pull this off without breaking everyhting ill be amazed.

I'm amazed right now they even did a remake of the game and not a resolution upscale like SC1 remaster which was the lazy hackjob I expected them to do from the start.

@kantarion
Grubby was even mentioning at the Blizzcon while playing Culling that he couldn't pick footmen out of a group anymore because they blended too much with realistic art style while riflemen were more traditional to old model. So you may have a valid point.

Level 3
I've been scratching my head for the past day trying to pinpoint what exactly I don't like about this, and I've concluded (beyond a vague aesthetic issue) that it has everything to do with an overabundance of detail, along with the realistic proportions. I think Heroes of the Storm had it closer to pat, though still too far on the other, cartoonier end of the spectrum. But to me Warcraft models have always been a little squat, closer to the heroic scale of tabletop wargames, where the body itself is wider and the parts more exaggerated. And with the amount of details on even the most basic footman model, they look busy almost to a point of giving me a headache.

I really hope they'll drastically redesign the units, but being a jaded veteran of many hobbies, I'm not gonna hold my breath no matter how many "work in progress/alpha/beta/omega" watermarks they'll plaster on their media.

Triceron

Hosted Project: W3CSW
Level 11
Sc remastered is a IN GAME toggle
you can do it during the mission.

This is impossible with Entirely different map layouts.

Starcraft 1 is a Remaster
Warcraft 3 is a Remake The name Reforged also implies this.

Warcraft 3 and Starcraft 1 reboots are very different beasts.

Yes but what I mean is maps breaking is going to be a weekly rather than month - 2/3 month occurance and being Bnet integrated good luck opting OUT of updating like many people on Hive Currently do.

This should be a concern.

The simple answer is that there will be no old campaign, only the new one with toggle graphics option. They can either keep the old one separately as Legacy Campaign, or omit altogether and keep it with the original WC3 and make the whole thing free the way they did for Starcraft.

Triceron

Hosted Project: W3CSW
Level 11
Quick Technical question. If I make a map in the reforged Warcraft using Custom HD models. People who have original would not techinlly be able to cross play since there is no original edition of the Custom HD Models I just made? Is that correct or not?

Thanks

Not a true answer, but just a guess

I think they will treat it like an expansion that has backwards compatability with older maps, but new maps made purely in the new WorldbEditor using new features will flag it as reforged. Think of how TFT maps wouldnt work for ROC.

Level 12
I just remembered in some really old Blizzard podcast, rob pardo, lead designer of OG wc3, said one of his biggest regrets in the wc3 development was how much pressure they had to ship tft before his team did everything they wanted to do. He said originally the arthas v illidan cinematic was supposed to be full CGI. Maybe his regret will finally be erased.

For reference

Level 14

I've been scratching my head for the past day trying to pinpoint what exactly I don't like about this, and I've concluded (beyond a vague aesthetic issue) that it has everything to do with an overabundance of detail, along with the realistic proportions. I think Heroes of the Storm had it closer to pat, though still too far on the other, cartoonier end of the spectrum. But to me Warcraft models have always been a little squat, closer to the heroic scale of tabletop wargames, where the body itself is wider and the parts more exaggerated. And with the amount of details on even the most basic footman model, they look busy almost to a point of giving me a headache.

I really hope they'll drastically redesign the units, but being a jaded veteran of many hobbies, I'm not gonna hold my breath no matter how many "work in progress/alpha/beta/omega" watermarks they'll plaster on their media.

This is very true.

Wonder what these detailed models will do in a mash up of 24V24 to the common mans CPU.

Level 15

Most of them are LQ war3 anime models ported to dota2, some are ripped models though
1B74974C-A949-4436-919D-1B3B0A825092.jpeg

I have seen LQ models on dota2. So in Reforge, old models wont be look really bad if there is setting for lighting parameter in world editor...

Warcraft models arent bad, just stylized :p
and dota gonna return in warcraft o.o

Last edited:

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Not all people can deal with change I guess. Reading the above comments.
To help put your minds at rest, know that Blizzard listens to us, the modding community. They know they have to get this right.

I for one am so pumped over this!
We’ve been waiting for this for so long. From a map makers perspective I can’t wait to see all the new unit models, textures, tile sets, doodads etc.

First thing I’m gonna do is open up the World Editor. And then I’m gonna do a playthrough of the campaign to see how they changed the terrain etc.

Level 3
Not all people can deal with change I guess. Reading the above comments.
To help put your minds at rest, know that Blizzard listens to us, the modding community. They know they have to get this right.

I for one am so pumped over this!
We’ve been waiting for this for so long. From a map makers perspective I can’t wait to see all the new unit models, textures, tile sets, doodads etc.

First thing I’m gonna do is open up the World Editor. And then I’m gonna do a playthrough of the campaign to see how they changed the terrain etc.

This is the spirit. But i say stay the urge; if you open the editor you're bound to tinker a bit and spoil a bunch of new stuff.

I'm going to do the campaign first.

By the way, this is just my idea, bit i think there's gonna be way more creep assets in WC3:R.

Remember how wc3 uses to scale and tint/hue models to make different creeps? I think that is really not going to work with high resolution HD and realistic style. So they are bound to make a whole bunch of new designs for bandits, magnataurs, sea spirits etc.

Really looking forward to it.

Level 8
By the way, this is just my idea, bit i think there's gonna be way more creep assets in WC3:R.
Really looking forward to it.
And assets in general.
I can only dream about such features. One of the things that bothered me most was the fixed minimal shadow size for items: you couldn't resize it in editor, so ppl had to edit such issues manually.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
For those complaining about the art, be aware what was shown was alpha footage. Heroes of the Storm also looked terrible/unpolished during the Alpha.

One can be sure that none of the models have their final polish since they are trying to get all models done first before touching them up for quality. One might find that the Footman and Grunt models change quite a bit by the end.

Level 20
Level 11
For those interested, I just opened a new thread to provide feedback about graphics, artstyle and UI, as Blizzard said they want to discuss a lot with the community: Warcraft III: Reforged - Community feedback (graphics, design, UI)
Feel free to reply with your impressions so we can have a constructive debate and provide quality feedback.
Maybe we can also start other threads to give feedback about other topics: campaigns, gameplay, lore retcons, World Editor changes, concerns about custom models...
This will be easier to have constructive debates about specific ideas if all main topics are gathered each in their own thread :)

Last edited:
Reactions: pyf
Level 8
Here is the WC3R developer panel from Blizzcon hosted by Grubby to calm you down
They seem genuine and passionate and they are asking for feedback on bit.ly/reforged

Notes from panel:
  • Classic games was started to preserve these iconic Blizzard games.
  • It was a natural progression to move to Warcraft III after their work on Starcraft.
  • It was hard to keep the remaster under wraps because of the updates that were happening to the original game.
  • It is not unfair to say that the art of the original game does not hold up as well as the gameplay has. This is why the graphics are getting updated.
  • They originally went with a more cartoony look for the new graphics, but it seemed too much like a lot of other games.
  • The team looked to the Mists of Pandaria cinematic as a base for what orcs and humans should look like in Warcraft III: Reforged.
  • The same engine is being used for Warcraft III: Reforged as the original game with some minor tweaks.
  • The tools used to create the new art will also be available to the community with the world editor.
  • The community is what has primarily kept this game alive and the team wants to give back for that.
  • The team has learned a lot of lessons from other RTS games they have made and can use these lessons in Warcraft III: Reforged.
  • The team wants the locations you know from World of Warcraft to be better showcased and look more like they do in WoW for this remaster.
  • The team has been trying to roll out a lot of quality of life improvements for the current game to prepare for the remaster. This includes patching and lag issues.
  • The team wanted to get rid of limitations that no longer pose an issue in modern gaming.
  • Opening Port 6112 to play custom games will no longer be a thing!
  • Warcraft III: Reforged will be added to the Battle.net Launcher.
  • At the end of the day, this is an evolution of Warcraft III. The graphics that you see are actually being added on top of the existing engine.
  • World of Warcraft's engine is based off of Warcraft III. The team took the changes and lessons that WoW has had with its engine and incorporated it into Warcraft III: Reforged.
  • All of the animations and attack swings are from the original engine.
  • The team doesn't want to break apart the original community and so are trying to keep the game anchored to the original.
  • The team can add a lot more personality to the game with new infrastructure as long as the core gameplay stays the same.
  • The artists are slightly constrained by the old game's animations.
  • All of the maps created over the years on the original game need to be able to load up in Warcraft III: Reforged with the new art assets.
  • The team wanted to lift up the lesser used heroes to reach the power of ones like the Demon Hunter.
  • The team has communicated with competitive players all over to address the changes that have been made to the game.
  • The team wants to continue to communicate with the community to build the game in a way that pleases players.
  • They have taken modern gaming steps to get the game released faster.
  • They have partnered and hired people from the community to make sure the game stays true to the original.
  • The UI is decoupled to allow the map makers to customize the UI in a way that they could not in the past.
  • The team wants to have as many created maps to work with the new editor from day 1 of release.
  • If maps take advantage of bugs or are broken they will be addressed.
  • They will release the tools that they use and guides on how to use them.
  • The original graphics and audio will still be available and can be used on command if you desire.
  • The original SD models and textures will also look much better.
  • There will be functionality to merge your current account into Battle.net to keep your win records and achievements.
  • The team doesn't want to tell you how to play the game. This is your game!
  • The team wants to improve the join functionality. There is a possibility you will be able to que as a group of 2 and matched with 2 strangers for a 4 v 4.
  • The focus right now is getting the existing game right, but there is potential for new stories and campaigns in the future.
  • They moved Arthas's entrance to the Culling of Stratholme to the southern entrance to showcase the familiarity to the WoW dungeon version from Wrath of the Lich King.
  • The community needs to work together to teach new players about the game.

Level 18
I'm really hyped (creator of Lords of Europe here, retired for 10 years and now game designer in an Indie studio).

I think I quite agree with the complaints about the new art style being too "noisy" in terms of details but I think I just don't care: I'm too eager to open up the editor and start placing all of the elements one by one.

And the new editor! Wow! It's going to be awesome.

I might even start map making some stuff with an old partner of mine.

• Opening Port 6112 to play custom games will no longer be a thing!
Wow!

Level 14
Except that Warcraft 3 orcs and humans are not meant to look like WoW cinematic ones at all.....there was gigantic difference in style of orcs between wc3 and WoW. From mostly normally muscled barbarians without excesdive tusks and size it went to Hulks. Warcraft iii's artsryle was cartoony texture wise....is meant to look like its drawn and matte ingame both for style which made it far better looking despite mesh blockiness at times and for unit recognition which was also helped by very well made and defined animations. Which got replaced by terrible animation sets now....units dont have same stances at idle even... Grubby even said that its hard for him to tell where the footmen are during the fight. Animations are cartoonishly laughable especially on Arthas in culling demo....plus he and uther look like they are from Final Fantasy..
Cinematics were realistic and life like and ingame cartoony and it was always meant to be that way....WoW has it the same way....

This is disrespectful to original in so many ways with retcons and complete replacement of the artstyle that it has no right to be Wc3 by the name........Make it without the III in the title...and expand on it....make it its own thing which even more changes and retcon the shit out if it...it will be ok that way.......and leave Warcraft III intact and separate. Cross play is not needed. Both games will have their fan bases......it will split the community either way......so make it split in reality aswell it will make everyone happy and blizz still will earn as much money and would be free to do much more with it.

Yoimu can have "a remaster but more". You dont honour the game....you remake it with drastic and disrepsectful revisionist changes(towards original dev team) to lure in people who never played or cared for original Wc3 by changing what this game is......and setup ways to extort even more money with predatory practices....inject corpse of this old and beloved gsme that you butchered with microtransactions for skins and more as you already planned....

Have guts to either to remaster WC3 in respectful way of it....without ''fixing'' it....with retcons of all kinds or to leave it alone in updated state with features we wanted included but with game intact as it is and was intended by original developers in every other aspect visually, storywise etc. And make Warcraft Reforged its own game based of it...a spin-off that 'Reimagines' original stories and events and gameplay. If you dont do it and continue to butcher wc3 you will prove that you are nothing but another soulless pawn of Activision...

...From company that i once loved....despite some things done further down the line that i may no have agreed with fully making me hate or love it always in some way pasionately following and caring.....you became one that i am out of love for........feeling nothing towards it.....
I still care about Warcraft III and its future and i would rather for it to become a niche than to be butchered without any respect or integrity by soulless cashgrab planned by people in white collars in higher ups....

Level 4
I'm really hyped (creator of Lords of Europe here, retired for 10 years and now game designer in an Indie studio).

I think I quite agree with the complaints about the new art style being too "noisy" in terms of details but I think I just don't care: I'm too eager to open up the editor and start placing all of the elements one by one.

And the new editor! Wow! It's going to be awesome.

I might even start map making some stuff with an old partner of mine.

Wow!
Hey man, Really love that map.

Do you reckon huge Strategy Maps will be possible on reforged. Do you reckon the engine will have performance issues with those big maps or nah?

Man you're such a killjoy grumpy old geezer. lol
Agreed, what Blizzard has done is what most of people wanted,try to be happy you'll have your uncompressed wc3 textures too(which are outdated as hell)

Edit: Also I'm not a 'Bliizard fan boy' or something I like what they are doing so far, the one thing that is a must is being loyal to old concepts not the style example if they just include broken draeneis and left out lost ones(original's) I'll say this is a bad move , or if they change concepts like old Gul'dan to new etc without making old one ready , yes I don't like ghouls I hope they'll make it more like old, I hope they'll add tail to Druglord and so but as long as they include models from old concepts they can include all the retcons too it will just be more epic

Last edited:
Level 39

You can't please everyone I guess. I think it looks great. The art style might be a bit different, but that's to be expected when talking about a remaster. I really don't see what's disrespectful about it. It's a huge sign of respect that they're even doing this, to begin with. According to the panel you even have the option to switch to the old models, which makes your whole complaint meaningless. Finally, it's not like this is replacing the original. You still have the option of playing that if you dislike the remaster that much. Honestly, I find this attitude a bit entitled.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
A thought on the World Editor. Ideally, it would have two possible configurations: full mode, exposing a set of capabilities similar to the SC2 Editor, and the classic mode, which shows how it currently does.

At the very least, it could allow some basic enhancements that SC2 had in comparison to WC3, such as a button editor tab and individual command card arranging.

P.S. — Of course, I don't need to mention how I'm dying for the possibility of more than 16 ground textures. :cool:

Level 3
The recent(last Friday) internal briefings at the gaming company I work at show global approx. 55% dominance of mobile market, 19% console and 26% desktop.
RTS is dead, although it is making a return of sorts in almost all other genres, by mixing some of its specific elements into them.
If I were Blizzard I would have gone for Free To Play Warcraft 3 Reforged instead of the current 30EUR,with Mobile support, even if more time was needed(interface adjustments specific to the separate mobile version etc. Refocus funds on that, rather than that much on animation, modelling, story and cutscene overhauls. Then the investment would be recuperated by selling some cosmetic stuff and/or blizzard-made additional campaigns, some of their new maps etc. All the while keeping all creator content free as it is now, except if the creator explicitly wants to sell their stuff and even then the content would still be totally free modder-side(Editor+Testing) and only paid-access user-side.
Imagine maps made specifically for mobile. Imagine going through the magnificent story in the subway on your way to work or sharing it with your children in the car on your way to summer vacation.

Last edited:
Level 39
The recent(last Friday) internal briefings at the gaming company I work at show global approx. 55% dominance of mobile market, 19% console and 26% desktop.
RTS is dead, although it is making a return of sorts in almost all other genres, by mixing some of its specific elements into them.
If I were Blizzard I would have gone for Free To Play Warcraft 3 Reforged instead of the current 30EUR,with Mobile support, even if more time was needed(interface adjustments specific to the separate mobile version etc. Refocus funds on that, rather than that much on animation, modelling, story and cutscene overhauls. Then the investment would be recuperated by selling some cosmetic stuff and/or blizzard-made additional campaigns, some of their new maps etc. All the while keeping all creator content free as it is now, except if the creator explicitly wants to sell their stuff and even then the content would still be totally free modder-side(Editor+Testing) and only paid-access user-side.
Imagine maps made specifically for mobile. Imagine going through the magnificent story in the subway on your way to work or sharing it with your children in the car on your way to summer vacation.

I think the reaction to Diablo Immortal pretty much summed up how the fanbase feels about mobile games.

Level 8
A thought on the World Editor. Ideally, it would have two possible configurations: full mode, exposing a set of capabilities similar to the SC2 Editor, and the classic mode, which shows how it currently does.

At the very least, it could allow some basic enhancements that SC2 had in comparison to WC3, such as a button editor tab and individual command card arranging.

P.S. — Of course, I don't need to mention how I'm dying for the possibility of more than 16 ground textures. :cool:
Good idea. Textures, models, etc. are easy to update in your map (unless it's a work of art). Fixing the scripts would be a hellish nightmare, if they get rid of some exploits moders have been using for ages (like locust ability, for example).

Reactions: Rui
Level 3

1N0UjV3.jpg

PC gaming hasn't given way to mobile games. Simply the playerbase base expanded to mobile casuals (many women) that skew the percentage share.

PC gamers are as an absolute number definitely growing. Don't force mobile shit down our throats

Level 3
I think the reaction to Diablo Immortal pretty much summed up how the fanbase feels about mobile games.
Yes of course, I`m just trying to understand what is going on from the point of view of blizzard. Why are they doing what they are doing, apart from a desire to preserve(while changing campaign???)
My personal opinion is desktop all the way everyone playing RTS in pc clubs, that is heaven for me. Unfortunately that is not the real world. So many kids play on mobile. I would want both War3 and the RTS genre to have a renaissance, maybe the wider player base needs more time to mature and look for something more, who knows.

It is like Blizzard is following some old long-term plan(at my company the long term plans include 5-year and 10-year plans, both include games as well as applying to games stuff like natural user interfaces, blockchain, AI etc.) which includes SC Remastered, which was more or less a failure. With Warcraft Reforged, however you have the unique position of having a much larger creative community and a much more versatile editor which can allow you to lengthen player retention and improve player engagement in exactly such long-term scales. So you need to just leave creators alone and remove hardcoded restrictions on their work. However, to pitch the project financially you need to take new technology into account, the thin line being to keep creators free, enabled and exposed to users as you reintroduce the game to newer times. If you make the release a big success you don`t just make money, but the team also gets to work longer on the project they like and not be reassigned to another project, meaning more patches etc.

Last edited:
Level 26
If I were Blizzard I would have gone for Free To Play Warcraft 3 Reforged instead of the current 30EUR,with Mobile support, even if more time was needed(interface adjustments specific to the separate mobile version etc. Refocus funds on that, rather than that much on animation, modelling, story and cutscene overhauls. Then the investment would be recuperated by selling some cosmetic stuff and/or blizzard-made additional campaigns, some of their new maps etc.

The basic game mechanics are not laid out for mobile. Interface adjustments won't cut it. They would have to remodel the whole game. Blizzard makes games for the broad masses but historically not that casual/lightweight.

Reactions: pyf
Level 17
This truly was a nice surprise. Really looking forward to see how it will bring the community forward. I might even give it another go myself at some point!
Customizable interface will be a big deal for sure.

And the fact that they said that things such as the possibility of maybe having built-in support for more than 6 item slots (was quickly mentioned during Grubbys stream) gives me even more hope!

Reactions: Rui
Status
Not open for further replies.