1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Warcraft 3 Reforged

Discussion in 'Latest Updates and News' started by Archian, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Amigoltu

Amigoltu

Resources:
    Resources:
    Not really. Personally, I am very fond of older graphics, and while I will check out new ones, I will mostly stick to old. I believe same thing will be with most current content creators.

Also, take in mind, that this may draw more people to warcraft 3, making it more popular again. We'll introduce them to old & gold game :D

2. Amigoltu

Amigoltu

Resources:
    Resources:
    No, I am not paying for graphics (at least mostly not). I am paying mainly for upgraded WE, which, I hope at least, will have function highlights, function list, etc.

About performance - 1.30 already made my game perform FAR better. Older patches always had low fps on my new PC. This is further and complete upgrade of the game. Obviously, it will be optimized better for it's graphics.

Also, check the comments. More cliff tiles, more natives, etc.. That is the very upgrade of WE that I mentioned. This already shows more possibilities for map development, and more are surely comming.

Lastly, I am willing to pay, because the upgraded WE, as well as other features will not be available on old version. Most likely, the old version of the game won't be updated any longer, because this remastered version will support old & new stuff.

Quit being so pesimistic :D

3. WaterKnight

WaterKnight

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Or you could just have both, maybe open a new category and be fine with it.

That "reforged" cross-game version they presented is a reskin, literally like one used local files. Even if they replaced everything by Starcraft 2 assets or Doom assets, what does it matter when you can seamlessly revert it on your end? I think it's a reasonable step by Blizzard because what else could they do? They don't have the commitment or content for a Warcraft 4 at this moment and this would much more likely split the community and development. The same or even more with another addon that players have to purchase. Offering a reskin and thereby gaining currency grants more opportunities to maintain the game, which helps both versions.

edit: If you are funny, maybe your map/system could overshadow all the new assets with old ones again, overwriting the path. Or another option could be that Blizzard introduced another "game data set" variable to lock maps onto a variant if available.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  4. Bloody_Turds

Bloody_Turds

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Tools:
    Resources:
    According to:
    Warcraft 3: Reforged What's Next Panel Liveblog
    "
    • All current models from Warcraft 3 will still be available on Reforged, so you can turn them on as you'd like
    "
    I would speculate that they are likely to do the same thing they did with Starcraft; simply locking the higher graphical settings behind a paywal, rather than segment the player-base. They might even make regular warcraft 3 free to play.
    There may be other functional benefits (possibly the Improved editor itself) locked behind the paywall. But I don't think the custom games utilizing the new features will be.

5. HateCrew

HateCrew

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I don't really understand why are people so pessimistic about HD model upgrade/losing hive custom models..
    Check these models, sure they are not exact same artstyle as warcraft reforged but it's just as easy do do some cool custom stuff with "HD" models as is with standard low poly warcraft models
    Warcraft: Armies of Azeroth mod for StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void
    Warcraft Rebirth mod

Look at this custom model, Kul Tiras Footman image - Warcraft Rebirth mod for Warcraft III: Frozen Throne
    texture style is different than reforged, but it was easy and fun to make

6. WaterKnight

WaterKnight

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    As a bonus though, when announcing new assets and balance changes, I would have welcomed it if they finally completed the Naga race. That would have introduced a new dimension to Melee gaming.

7. Chaosium

Chaosium

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Nagas and balance don't seem to go well with each other :p

8. asteriana

asteriana

Resources:
    Resources:
    I so hope they make it easier to edit models like the ones we can find on this website... can't wait :D

9. Frotty

Frotty

Wurst Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Wurst:
    Resources:
    I find the reactions sickening.
    They patch the original game broken for 6+ months.
    10-20% of maps still don't work, broken models, sound, random crits, random desyncs.
    We need to restart game after every round. Bots are broken. Shit's fucked.

Now they release a small trailer of the remastered version already offering *preorders* while the original game is still a broken mess.
    And apparently everyone flips out, is happy, and wants to reward blizz for this behavior of breaking a game and then offering a remaster for money?
    It's fkin sad tbh.

10. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Not at all.
    You will just have to switch to the classic view to play those so you won't feel nausea.
    Orcs look bulky like in WoW and Warcraft movie which I don't like. Liked them best in the first two RTS games.

11. Kuhneghetz

Kuhneghetz

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    I did not expect a remaster of this good ol' game. And now I'm very curious.

12. Idaero Ace

Idaero Ace

Resources:
    Resources:
    I’m pretty sure they gonna finish original patches first before Reforge release, if they wanted to have that “compability” stuff

And its time for modder to recreate original model with same style

13. YourArthas

YourArthas

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I'm willing to sell our Wc3 hd models to Blizzard if they wish to speed up the progress :p

14. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    From what I know, StarCraft: Remastered's patching goes along with the classic's because it's only a graphics difference between them but with Warcraft III: Reforged, things seem more than that.

15. Durzan

Durzan

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hey frotty, were you even paying attention to what people were saying? Much less what happened with the SC Remaster? They simply added the remastered graphics behind a paywall, it was still the same game underneath. WCIII: Reforged is likely to be treated somewhat similarly. Your concerns are likely unfounded, my friend.

As far as current balance goes, ALL games are broken in the eyes of those who play them, so please quit whining. I've been watching complaints just like yours pop up on the SC2 official forums for years, and it isn't helpful or productive. WC3 is over 16 years old at this point... Honestly we should be grateful that they are currently still doing patches for the game, and that they are willing to do the current remaster at all.

16. WaterKnight

WaterKnight

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Have talked to Frotty a bit in chat. It's true that pre-purchase is a shady practice. Again, Blizzard was not transparent about their proceedings, why they do this or that and did not communicate. While I would not claim they intentionally shipped breaking patches in order to push the player base to invest money for the remastered version, it puts us in a bind. Pre-purchase sounds like they will only spend enough effort to target their desired revenue, shifting the risk and the decision to the gamers. My suggestion would be to pin down Blizzard so that they understand a broken release (both Reforged and classic) means a hefty hit to reputation. I don't think that pre-purchasing is a good idea, surely we don't want Blizzard to give up on Warcraft III but we also cannot grant them complete leverage.

17. Anachron

Anachron

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    If they fix the Battle.Net Updater to work again on Linux that would be sweet.

I can't enjoy the new graphics if I cannot install/patch the game anymore.

18. Chewii

Chewii

Resources:
    Resources:
    Anyone know anything about the revised world editor? What are the updates?

19. DaneTheBeast

DaneTheBeast

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    There's so much to fix on the current warcraft that putting time into a whole remaster seems silly... Also since they confirmed that you can switch between the textures/models and that old maps will still be playable; why is this not just a big patch for the current Wc3 and is 30$ separate game/expansion? It's even the same engine, so we know that they are working in the same environment, meaning they could easily put all of this in the current game..

But if the manage to do this, then it will be an amazing game regardless, fingers crossed they dont destroy it

20. Sieben

Sieben

Resources:
    Resources:
    I don't think there has been news about World Editor changes yet. Check out this page, you'll find most of the information about Reforged currently available.
    As far as I know, Blizzard only mentioned this about modding: "All the new tools used to draw these new models can be also used by the community, using the World Editor tool."

I suppose they can work on both, fixing current bugs and remaster ;)

As I understand it, it is a big (charged) patch for the current game, not a separate game, and if I'm not mistaken, players with only vanilla game will be able to play along with Reforged players.[/QUOTE]