1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Rubbed the right way, the genie is out of its lamp! The 12th Concept Art Contest Results have been announced.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Warcraft 3 Reforged

Discussion in 'Latest Updates and News' started by Archian, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Veldris

Veldris

Resources:
    Resources:
    New worldeditor too?

2. Reaper51

Reaper51

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Now the question is will this bork all maps on Vanilla wc3 if you play them on Reforged?

3. Idaero Ace

Idaero Ace

Resources:
    Resources:
    artstyle wont be a problem imo. They said that they will keep the old stuff. Having them (old stuff) + upgraded graphic engine gonna work. Just add some lighting setting on world editor and it can be tweaked for low poly model. Even only having AO still gives great boostz

and i dont think the style is changed that much... the animation still looks stylized, terrain still same, and currently there is no ground texture on buildings but i’m pretty it will be added. Maybe lack of saturation and contrast but it can be easily changed if world editor has setting to change those.

Artstyle gonna be a problem if you use 2 different style on one game. So just dont do that and just use the original stuff. Plus, our community mostly filled with not that HQ models, so its a good idea to stick with original assets. Unless people start importing models from HoTS, WoW, and others...

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  4. Radicool

Radicool

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Great news! I'm pretty excited about this! I hope they add:

- Increase allowable cliff types and tiles types (only 2 cliffs allowed at the moment)
    - Allow merging of tiles like in Starcraft 2 for smoother transitions between surface areas.
    - Allow cliffs to stack higher without expanding outwards.
    - Allow concurrent users playing over LAN (fair enough if Battle.Net is restricted to 1 person as currently is). This is important so I can play with my mates.
    - Improved lighting engine. I remember running into lots of limitations when making dark maps. Issues with how Warcraft 3 handles lighting causing lighting glitches. Better lighting engine would improve how the game looks anyway.
    - Few more natives in World Editor to expand on what we can do as mapmakers.

5. pOke

pOke

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Very exciting news!

Kind of forgives the less than stellar condition they have allowed wc3 to fall into.

6. Erindeir

Erindeir

Resources:
    Resources:
    Oh no...

As I see some people are worried about all old maps, skins, and models which will not work in Warcraft 3 Reforged. But personally for me exist more important and frighting question...

Are all hive content makers of Hive, and other forums will forget old Wc3, and Warcraft 3 Reforged will be more preferable for them just because of graphics?

7. Hero_Lief

Hero_Lief

Resources:
    Resources:
    They will work just fine, a la Brood War Remastered. This has been confirmed at today's panel. The (informed) concerns are about new content mixing properly with old content.

8. chusrubi2

chusrubi2

Resources:
    Resources:
    I can't remember the number or people that said a remaster was inviable.

9. yi5752

yi5752

Resources:
    Resources:
  10. Hardtime

Hardtime

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm actually afraid that most of the resources we have here on the Hive would look out of place alongside the new HD stuff. Worst case, maybe even rendered useless if they decide to "optimize" the game by using a file other than mdx to project models. Do we have to mass convert everything then? Or do it manually ourselves?

With all the effort they put in already, even going as far to say that they "rebuilt Azeroth from the ground up," then wouldn't it have been wiser to just make WarCraft fucking 4?

11. Ether

Ether

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Well, they said they will make the old Warcraft 3 to be compatible with Reforged and port our maps and stuff. Meaning, you can put low poly models still with only a new and powerized world editor.

I do hope the world editor will have advanced features concerning AI, spellmaking (making them in-game), smoother cinematic commands, yeah pathing don't forget the movement path and points, line of sight can be customized, and stuff like that. If that happens, it's extremely powerful. And yeah, Blizzard take all my gold! :D

12. Darklycan51

Darklycan51

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    REFORGEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

13. BloodMood97

BloodMood97

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Its time to update my custom map!

14. tillinghast

tillinghast

Resources:
    Resources:
    i can see totally how someone who have never played wc3 could be excited and positive about this, but certainly not the regulars here, jesus christ
    this is gonna have so much wow retcons, unnecessary changes and overwatch easter eggs in it
    guess they finally made Warcraft: Heroes Of Azeroth after all

15. Verb8im

Verb8im

Resources:
    Resources:

Don't know if anybody has posted it here yet, but here's a stream of somebody playing The Culling. I'm sure this doesn't need to be said, but this isn't a final build. UI, art, effects, etc. could change. Personally, I'm very excited and can't wait to see more

16. Triceron

Triceron

Resources:
    Resources:
    TBH its a case of waiting and seeing how they apporach mod support tools and how much priority there is in people updating their own or others maps. If anything, this database should expand to a subcategory specific to reforged while older assets that need addressing can be tackled on a per map basis. Yes, there are a lot of assets here, but probably 80% or more is retexture work or kitbashes of existing stuff. That can easily be replicated and SC2 modding has well surpassed the capability to do that.

As for skill in modifying stuff that fits in style with Reforged, that is up to how much people decide to learn about PBR shaders and 3d sculpting to get things done. Its not going to be a simple tweak in photoshop to make an armored dude look like hes wearing a shirt and tie. But hey, the old methods work too and kit bashing will always be possible, or you can import any number of models available from the SC2 community, which has access to D3, WoW and Heroes assets. At least they fit better with Reforged than alongside WC3 graphics.

17. stan0033

stan0033

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I suppose it would come with:
    • New and better model editor
    • Support for maps created for original warcraft
    • New extension of archive
    • more options for the world editor including:
    more unit triggers, control over UI, modern code editor for JASS, ability to add and remove basic commands like attack/move/etc, ability to make the unit able to turn even if cannot move, (why not?)mounts, garbage collection? , better support for custom loading screen, add ability like channel that has ton of options, not just these already present including damage. There are surely mroe things to improve.

18. Amigoltu

Amigoltu

Resources:
    Resources:
    If what the other commenter said - old models and sound sets will be available, and we'll be able to switch between old and new - I do not see what is the problem. Because other than that, the upgraded WE is a good thing. (Fingers crossed for TESH)

My main concern was, that the old wc3 would no longer be updated, but if we are allowed to switch between old & new + we get more WE functionality, I am more than willing to pay for it.

Not to mention, that this will likely open many possibilities for even bigger maps, more doodads, etc.

19. Rektis

Rektis

Resources:
    Resources:
    I like the hotkey changes, the promises about the upgraded editor, the option to switch to the original graphics, the implementation into BattleNet 2.0.

I'm not sure about the new portrait without a backdrop, and the new voices.

I strongly dislike the new artstyle and feel that it doesn't capture the spirit of the original artstyle. Everything looks way too clean and smooth, the proportions look too much like WoW and not WC3.
    • The ghouls and skeletons don't look scary and threatening,
    • the footmen don't have that pleasant tackiness,
    • the grunts don't look imposing,
    • the trees look all the same and blurry,
    • the ground textures look mushy (see: dark green grass tile) and bereft of detail and they nevertheless don't transition well,
    • the buildings look like cheap 3D plastic prints and don't even have foundation textures. These textures were always very important to me, though I suspect and hope that they'll be implemented.
    It's also hard to make out player colours, with all that detail.

20. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Only if you pay for new, otherwise you are stuck with old.
    Again, the new graphics are what you are paying for. Chances are the old will go free at the same time. It is the same client as Warcraft III after all, just with a new pay wall added.
    Unlikely. Considering performance will be considerably lower than current Warcraft III when running with HD assets, you will be lucky the current large maps still run acceptably.