• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 3 Reforged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
MY WISHLIST FOR WCR?

EDITOR
  • Able to make a maximum size of 2048x2048 map.
  • 1000 food and not 300.
  • Acceptable polycount limit for lesser laggy gameplay when with high-res graphics models and stuff.
  • Make water look realistic and can have bucket of water tool for filling water at any desired places.
  • Customizeable water direction or animation.
  • Compile spells and triggers into an archive like data to minimize loading time of map by 40-60%. Suitable for people who has over 200 triggers.
  • Advanced and super intelligent GUI AI Editor that matches making one through JASS coding.
  • Customizeable and free hand movement tools for unit movement and patrol.
GAMEPLAY
  • Instead of 4x3 max buttons. Why not make it expandable and customizeable up to 6x4 for players or modders with more than 12 buttons (minus cancel and rally point.)
  • First-person view command.
  • More unit formation types other than 'triangular' and 'scattered'.
  • Customize if game could allow player to choose more than 12 or max. of 24 or 36 units.
  • Maybe 24 players with new team colors like Ash Gray, Neon Green, Crystal Blue, Dirty White, Custard Cheese, Lime, Dark Red, Light Pink, and etc...
  • Show Mana Bar.
  • Customizeable music to choose just like CS:GO has.
:) Can't think for more ideas for now.

Level 6
MY WISHLIST FOR WCR?

GAMEPLAY
  • Instead of 4x3 max buttons. Why not make it expandable and customizeable up to 6x4 for players or modders with more than 12 buttons (minus cancel and rally point.)
Semi-Confirmed.
  • Customize if game could allow player to choose more than 12 or max. of 24 or 36 units.
They are looking into this.
  • Maybe 24 players with new team colors like Ash Gray, Neon Green, Crystal Blue, Dirty White, Custard Cheese, Lime, Dark Red, Light Pink, and etc...
Already in the current game.
  • Show Mana Bar.
Already in the current PTR game.
:) Can't think for more ideas for now.

;)

Level 10
i am glad that this happenig and while i have spme reservations to new art style, it looks good enough

my only worry is that there wont be enough customs assest to match the model quality ,so in every custom campaign every human hero hero will loo k either like uther, arthas or fooman with hero glow

Level 6
Wondering if they can revamp the engine so it can handle higher unit and doodad counts more efficiently.

i am glad that this happenig and while i have spme reservations to new art style, it looks good enough

my only worry is that there wont be enough customs assest to match the model quality ,so in every custom campaign every human hero hero will loo k either like uther, arthas or fooman with hero glow

Since they are redoing the campaign, Garithos, Daelin Proudmoore and Jaina Proudmoore will also receive the new artstyle. And maybe we'll even get a unique look for bandit heroes, archmages, etc.

Level 39

You'll be able to switch to the old art style at will, so that should take care of any compatibility issues between the remaster and old custom assets. This way people can just play Reforged with SD graphics for most custom maps/campaigns and HD for the few maps that have high quality assets. I think this is a really smart move from Blizzard, especially if the SD version still has upgraded graphics, like improved shaders, lighting and shadows. It'll make the SD version look much better than classic even without the HD models.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Warcraft models arent bad, just stylized :p
and dota gonna return in warcraft o.o
No it won't. It belongs to Valve now.
First thing I’m gonna do is open up the World Editor.
Frankly. It's all I'm interested in. I can't care less about their retcons.
sea spirits
Sea Elementals?
If I were Blizzard I would have gone for Free To Play Warcraft 3 Reforged instead of the current 30EUR
Hell no. Microtransactions would've killed it.
I think this is a really smart move from Blizzard, especially if the SD version still has upgraded graphics, like improved shaders, lighting and shadows. It'll make the SD version look much better than classic even without the HD models.
Are you sure the shadows and lightening will apply to the classic game or you meant the classic models on Reforged?

Level 39
Are you sure the shadows and lightening will apply to the classic game or you meant the classic models on Reforged?

I am talking about the SD (this is what Blizzard is calling it, standard definition) models in Reforged. This version should basically look and play exactly like classic, just better because of the upgrades to the engine. The classic game will probably not have these graphical tweaks.

Level 11
I am talking about the SD (this is what Blizzard is calling it, standard definition) models in Reforged.
I thought SD would refer to classic models, while HD would be for Reforged models.
Man, it would be awesome if there was some minor graphics improvements in classic game too, especially for those who will use custom models and thus will need classic game so these models don't look out of place. I don't have too much hope about this, though.

Level 2
Everything seems nice so far, backward compatibility, togglable new sound set, graphics, models, improved editor, new campaign (kinda). I almost cried while watching the trailer, we all have been playing this game for too long. I guess all that's left is to wait. I just hope switching between classic and reforged is going to be convenient and can be done from within the game since it would be a hassle to exit and reboot warcraft every time.

There are a lot of maps that are in Chinese but ever since 1.28, I think we haven't found a way to change the game's font to something that supports Chinese. Hopefully, reforged will solve that issue. I'll gladly pay $30 if it means I can enjoy my Chinese custom maps in 1080p.

more than 6 slot inventory though :ogre_datass:

Level 6
Wait.... Should I abandon my campaign and wait for custom "Reforged Models" come to Hive?

I think you'll still need to offer an 'SD' version of your games when reforged releases. But we need more information from Blizzard on that.

Level 39
Wait.... Should I abandon my campaign and wait for custom "Reforged Models" come to Hive?

Don't wait. Even after Reforged is released it will take a long time before we get high-quality models that live up to Reforged's standards, and even then the selection will probably be very limited compared to the SD one. I don't think people should get their hopes up about custom HD models too much. High-poly sculpting and PBR textures are a whole other beast than the regular ole' hand-painted blocky models we're used to with WC3. It takes a lot of practice.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Don't wait. Even after Reforged is released it will take a long time before we get high-quality models that live up to Reforged's standards, and even then the selection will probably be very limited compared to the SD one. I don't think people should get their hopes up about custom HD models too much. High-poly sculpting and PBR textures are a whole other beast than the regular ole' hand-painted blocky models we're used to with WC3. It takes a lot of practice.
I'll be pretty happy with tons of HotStorm and WoW rips frankly until enough community made resources appear. Heck even StarCraft II ones! Man I really want to make a SC campaign with the World Editor.

Also guys, check this thread out!
Reforged - Warcraft III Reforged - Community Feedback

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
so sooo amazing. I was in shock the whole day. 2019?? Incredible!

Best blizzcon ever!
Me too! It got emotional for me. Especially Pete's announcement and his moment of celebration. I could totally relate since Warcraft 3 has been a part of my life, like it has for so many others - for so many years. Definitely the best news coming out of Blizzcon!

Last edited:
Me too! It got emotional for me. Especially Pete's announcement and his moment of celebration. I could totally relate since Warcraft 3 has been a part of my life, like it has for so many others - for so many years. Definitely the best news coming out of Blizzcon!

His speech was seriously the best ever. It felt so genuine and I couldn't have said it better myself. Wc3 is so amazing because of its multi-faceted community--you have people who love the game for modding, you have people who love the game for campaigns, and you have people who love the game for playing ladder and/or custom games. And that's made the game survive for so so long.

I'm most ecstatic that folks from the classic team are involved in the remaster. I feel like the game is in good hands. :)

Level 14

I think everyone who truly loves Warcraft 3 got emotional.

It really amped up when I came to the revelation with the new culling level that this remake could give over 60+ brand new campaign maps with new tactical challenges. Which is my eyes makes it 9 Entirely brand new Campaigns.

i did notice the minibosses and mal'ganis was dropping random items on the Culling. I prefer static loot in the campaigns but that could be interesting.

Saw stuff from Greater Mana pots all the way to +6 Int Robes and Meds of Courage dropping off seperate playthroughs of that level of the same kills.

WIth this announcement Diablo 2 Remake is cemented as an absolute guarantee to happen aswell.

Last edited:
Level 13
Speaking of Dota returning to Wacraft, I think DracoL1ch is the one going to port it, I think.

Anyways, the only thing I wanted for WE was a descent JASS Editor, who wants intellisense rofl

Dota 1.5 is not possible on 1.30

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Speaking of Dota returning to Wacraft, I think DracoL1ch is the one going to port it, I think.

Anyways, the only thing I wanted for WE was a descent JASS Editor, who wants intellisense rofl
Dota 1.5 is not possible on 1.30
I guess they're using memory hack or something like that which newer patches broke/eliminated. They would have to find workarounds for Reforged but who knows what the editor brings.

Level 20
Actually, I think that the gameplay is... better in the Reforged version.

What I mean is that I believe that the original map had more buildings and it was generally easier to completely avoid dealing with Mal'ganis. In the new version, the map is smaller and it seems like that there's considerably less buildings, so you will be forced to fight Mal'ganis more often.

Design-wise, I think this is a better approach.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Actually, I think that the gameplay is... better in the Reforged version.

What I mean is that I believe that the original map had more buildings and it was generally easier to completely avoid dealing with Mal'ganis. In the new version, the map is smaller and it seems like that there's considerably less buildings, so you will be forced to fight Mal'ganis more often.

Design-wise, I think this is a better approach.
Sure, but you people don't get me. I mean the core element is the same. It's not really a different level/map from a gameplay perspective.

Level 20
Sure, but you people don't get me. I mean the core element is the same. It's not really a different level/map from a gameplay perspective.
I mean, yeah... The core fantasy for that level is obviously the same, you're right, but from what I've seen, it seems to be better executed in Reforged.

Level 18
Hey man, Really love that map.

Do you reckon huge Strategy Maps will be possible on reforged. Do you reckon the engine will have performance issues with those big maps or nah?
I'm really glad you loved it :)

Huge strategy maps with 24 players... is not really that interesting in the end. We're having trouble filling 12 slots, I can't even imagine 24. If it ever becomes possible I think it's a good idea.

Regarding engine restrictions and unit move-order stuttering with high number of units I can only hope they fixed it. But I'm not really hoping for that since I feel like it's too big of a change.

Level 25
The good thing is that they can still patch the normal Warcraft III. It is not a remake but a fork, so they can do it in parallel and that should make development easier, if they want to.
If you can switch back to the old style or if MDLX models, old maps and everything still works there is no reason to use the old Warcraft III or are you talking about the classic mode which you can switch back to?

They should allow dedicated servers where you can join after the game has started and which can store your stats + multiplayer map transitions.

Level 14
I'm really glad you loved it :)

Huge strategy maps with 24 players... is not really that interesting in the end. We're having trouble filling 12 slots, I can't even imagine 24. If it ever becomes possible I think it's a good idea.

Regarding engine restrictions and unit move-order stuttering with high number of units I can only hope they fixed it. But I'm not really hoping for that since I feel like it's too big of a change.
I'll go for 36 players and 2048x2048 (no longer 480x480) map for open world playing. Great for long rpg maps and campaigns.

But for mobas, melee maps, and sandbox would not usually like that big. :) Well of course, and first of all, WC Reforged must be lagless and work smoothly by this case of colossal or titanic maps.

Level 5
1) LORE/STORY

I dearly hope and pray that they will NOT RETCON ANYTHING IN THE CAMPAIGN LORE in this upcoming WC3: Reforged out from the original Warcraft 3- RoC & TFT, just for the sake "fitting/filling" it with the majority of the ridiculous retcons in WoW lore...

This is a Warcraft 3 remake from the Warcraft RTS games. A Warcraft game, NOT a WoW game...

Warcraft is NOT WoW, and WoW is NOT Warcraft.

Therefore WC3: Reforged should be loyal to the original ways that the stories were told in the original Warcraft 3 (both RoC and TFT), NO RETCONS

2) DESIGNS (Character Models)

Just as with the lore, the model designs should be more of like how it appeared in the original WC3, except of course in much better graphics.

Armors and weapons should be like it looked like in WC3, more on looking realistic and common design for a medieval fantasy game story, without being overly designed with being too much colorful, weird glowing effects on the weapons, silly umbrella-sized shoulderpads, etc...

Im glad that the undead ghouls in the WC3: Reforge look exactly like how it were in the original WC3, and not like in WoW that appears to be like a bunch of ugly undead monkeys.

Level 19
Some older Dota runs just fine now, but without proper editor it will never be what players expect it to be. Comfort matters. Matchmaking, easy game finding, statistics - still no sign of those, even not spoken out yet. I really doubt you will find it fun to play the way it been played back to 2008, after all shiny clients.

Level 14
I guess they're using memory hack or something like that which newer patches broke/eliminated. They would have to find workarounds for Reforged but who knows what the editor brings.
How is it the same when the city is circular instead of malganis usually porting north in original after destroying middle meaning he can be ignored entire map. With a circle confrontations are inevitable. Also no purple base is quite a big deal. Just dealing with malganis spawns.

The bonus difficult element of trying to destroy the 15 tower filled base is gone as are the incrasing waves they direct to your base.

Quite a departure. I fully expect them to do something like this in silvermoon where everything was on east side and the rest of the city was just filler buildings with sunwell in mid.

In revamp guarantee you can expect a massive base you must crush before moving to the sunwell island to confront anasterian and the runewardens as per the WoW lore they have said they will follow as they alter maps.

Dalaran. A new power in lordaeron at capital city. Symphony of frost and flame at icecrown. They will be extensively redone guarantee

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
The bonus difficult element of trying to destroy the 15 tower filled base is gone as are the incrasing waves they direct to your base.
You don't have to destroy any base. You just have to kill the villagers to win... Yes direct confrontation is more likely now but that doesn't make the gameplay too different. You're still exaggerating.

Level 14
You don't have to destroy any base. You just have to kill the villagers to win... Yes direct confrontation is more likely now but that doesn't make the gameplay too different. You're still exaggerating.

No one will attack your base in the new mission. That alone vhanges the entire mission tactics

Granted i already know what ill do if they keep random drop spawns from malganis.

Farm him for items with arthas solo. 45 sec divine shield = dead malganis with absolutely zero threat

Yeah itll play the same but its still a new mission. Again 90% of missions is destroy base x

If map layouts. Spawns. Ai building patterns which are ALWAYS the same composition per waves in campaigns it changes tactics.

Case and point. Shores of northrend.

Lich hero and fewnunits > 12 garg wave > lich > garg wave

Or how malganis alternates between ground waves and garg/wyrm waves. Your not going send your gryphons to plug his ass when he is sitting with 12 gargs and 3 wyrns in base F that.

There is a flow to every single map right now and alterations do change the level completely if they remake it.

Would the 2nd human mission change if the lvl 6 blademaster started attacking in waves? What about if the cult of the damned level suddenly start sending abonbs and not just ghiuls and necros?

What if banshees are present on the level march of the scourge siege that would be s huge 180* in tactics with how crippling a cursed army becomes.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
No one will attack your base in the new mission. That alone vhanges the entire mission tactics
Have you seen Back2Warcraft's gameplay video? The purple undead still attack the base...
What if banshees are present on the level march of the scourge siege that would be s huge 180* in tactics with how crippling a cursed army becomes.
What if we don't aberrate so much?

Last edited:

Triceron

Hosted Project: W3CSW
Level 11
Thinking about how they're approaching Culling of Stratholme, it's going to be pretty interesting how they might approach certain tilesets. Culling in WoW generally looks like the same Warcraft 3 tileset, but there's a lot of places we've seen in WoW that are completely different.

The Broken Isles look very different than the Warcraft 3 island ruins. Suramar is completely different from what they had in Legion, and I'm torn between them remastering Warcraft 3 ruins tileset or remastering it to look like WoW. The Vault of the Wardens in Legion has its own style too, and I think this aesthetic would fit better than the generic jail tileset they used. I think it's a disservice to a remaster if they just upressed the jail tileset without making it look like the actual Vault of the Wardens.

Status
Not open for further replies.