• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #10[playable] - Surrealism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Well, i dont know whether i will finish it within the deadline but here are some early WIPs taken from the editor:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

what should the game be like? i know this is a terraining and not a mapping contest but still there should be some action i guess and not just walking around like a fool...

Attachments

• WIP1.png
    WIP1.png
    419.7 KB · Views: 391
  • WIP2.png
    WIP2.png
    218.4 KB · Views: 371
  • WIP3.png
    WIP3.png
    451.5 KB · Views: 392
Level 4
Accname, the third WIP looks really nice. Cant wait to see more updates! :D

actually its just a bunch of random doodads stitched together to give a funny pile of funky colors. i am working slowly on it because i havent gotten that lot of time... unfortunately.

Level 4
some more wips.
i hope these are enough for me to enter the contest.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

some serious surreal stuff there i hope...

Attachments

• WIP4.png
    WIP4.png
    258.5 KB · Views: 266
  • WIP5.png
    WIP5.png
    371.4 KB · Views: 269
  • WIP6.png
    WIP6.png
    267.4 KB · Views: 243
Level 7
Heres a begining of my modest map "Museum of Dreams"

wip1.png

wip2s.png

wip3x.png

The map is about of a man, who sees dream and in dream he is in somekind of museum where there are 4 room with weard stuff.
There will be 3 more rooms, so those will come later, when they are ready enough to show.

Last edited:
Level 51
Heres a begining of my modest map "Museum of Dreams"

wip1lv.png

wip2s.png

wip3x.png

The map is about of a man, who sees dream and in dream he is in somekind of museum where there are 4 room with weard stuff.
There will be 3 more rooms, so those will come later, when they are ready enough to show.

I love it :D

Level 4
Ummm his work is okay so far... but I wouldn't make that assumption so quickly, especially with Keiji in the contest. Sorry for the whole buzz kill thing, but your terrain can use a lot of work Accname

you know, my definition of art is that art is stuff some people find awesome which others call shit.

in these kinds of contests the contestants are supposed to create art and since art cannot be judged seriously i am not entering this contest with a hope to win nor with the thought of a prize woth winning at all.
i do this stuff because i like the theme and i want to see what i still can do with this old game.

the other WIP's showed some nice terrains as well, they have a different approach then i, while i try to focus on original wc3 models only they try to use mostly imported once. you can say you like one more then the other but you cannot say one is better. i think the only thing which can be rated in this contest is how much work someone was ready to put into his creation, how much time and creativity he invested into that map.
i have posted some early WIP's as the rules told me to do and now i will see if i can finish this map within time and then i will most probably never visit this thread and maybe not even this site anymore cause i have actually stopped working with wc3 some time ago.

good luck to all participants.

Level 23
you know, my definition of art is that art is stuff some people find awesome which others call shit.

in these kinds of contests the contestants are supposed to create art and since art cannot be judged seriously i am not entering this contest with a hope to win nor with the thought of a prize woth winning at all.
i do this stuff because i like the theme and i want to see what i still can do with this old game.

the other WIP's showed some nice terrains as well, they have a different approach then i, while i try to focus on original wc3 models only they try to use mostly imported once. you can say you like one more then the other but you cannot say one is better. i think the only thing which can be rated in this contest is how much work someone was ready to put into his creation, how much time and creativity he invested into that map.
i have posted some early WIP's as the rules told me to do and now i will see if i can finish this map within time and then i will most probably never visit this thread and maybe not even this site anymore cause i have actually stopped working with wc3 some time ago.

good luck to all participants.

Well, I don't want to sound to harsh....
But that's wrong.
In art you do as well as in terraining need a basic to good skilll of the thing behind hit. Meaning an artist who cannot draw a bit will rarely be able to create art on a canvas.
Same goes for a terrainer. A terrainer without skills in doodad placement/rotation, and a general knowledge about aestethicts etc. won't be able to create an artistic terrain.

Reason: Only who has a specific level of skill can REALLY express what he WANTS to express!

On a second note you are right that what is expressed in a terrain his way harder to judge...
But still you should remember that technique is JUDGEABLE!

Level 4
one hasnt gotten to agree that a specific technique is good.
people might think that their terrain is better looking though they used less "advanced" techniques then others.
you are right when you are saying how well someone used a tool is judgeable but you cannot tell whether the usage does make it better or not. at least you cannot tell from an objective point of view.

but i dont want to screw this contest by saying: "you cannot judge my terrain because its art". i will just participate and not bother how many points i ll get. i dont know why i posted that last reply in the first place, maybe i just thought that sounded cool.

and by the way, you dont sound harsh but pretty constructive.

Level 36
Let me go deeper into what M0rbid is trying to say here:

As much as we Terrainers love to call ourselves "artists," that isnt completely true. The most equivalent name to it would be "level designer." A terrainer creates something with rules, he creates nature and constructions, for the most part. And thus a terrainer should be able to know where sertain natural objects should be placed depending on the others, and how an economical system works, as well as to know somewhat how a construction is built up, and to portray it in a fashion that wouldn't seem "unrealistic."

As you can see, there is a capability of judging a terrain based on these principples, how well a person creates his/her forest, how well he/she constructs a structure, and so on.

We're not telling you that you can't have your personal oppinion, but we are telling you that terrain IS judgable. But then, the theme of this contest is surreal, so I kind of see what you mean considering this contest, nothing have to be logical, hence it shouldn't. And then the principple of judgement rather... slips. Still, our judges WILL do their best.

Level 8
Too bad offgraphic, i was looking forward to seeing your terrain finished. Three people "signed" out that's including you.

Actually, including offgraphic there are 5. I may keep the list updated if you want.

Wow, im out, very nice btw i have no clue how you made it look so nice

School has taken me over, no time to do this im dropping out sorry

Guys, I've lost my inspiration - not sure if I can continue the contest anymore =/

Level 7
And now to the "Room 2" of the map "Museum of Dreams". The room is ready so much to show it now.

wip4.png

wip5.png

wip6.png

The big villager show how big the main character in the map will be.

Couple of my friends have asked me what is this to do with the surrealism. And i tell you cause i guess other may have that question too.

My map isnt about extreme surrealism, i take surrealism as mystic and dream world and i make it like so with less extreme.

2 rooms to go.
Good luck to all competitors

Level 51
And now to the "Room 2" of the map "Museum of Dreams". The room is ready so much to show it now.

wip4.png

wip5.png

wip6.png

The big villager show how big the main character in the map will be.

Couple of my friends have asked me what is this to do with the surrealism. And i tell you cause i guess other may have that question too.

My map isnt about extreme surrealism, i take surrealism as mystic and dream world and i make it like so with less extreme.

2 rooms to go.
Good luck to all competitors

I like it really much :) such simple/such good idea :D

Status
Not open for further replies.