• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #10[playable] - Surrealism

Status
Not open for further replies.
153136-albums2842-picture34466.jpg

I have to thank De.Facto for the concept of using the ice cube model as a pathway. The terrain is a bit empty atm, but I'm planning on doing a sort of fire and ice thing (what I want to do is to have ice at the bottom of the terrain and fire at the top).

For making this playable I'm going with a sort of rail movement type of thing, in this picture it's pretty easy to see the pathway is lain out in the green tiles.

(not too sure about that horrizontal ice cube platform thing though, looks a bit ugly atm)

Level 36
Wrong. Leaked. I'm not Grievous, but I think he wouldn't be very amused about that. Red Shift gave you that pack, mh?

I got it from a public thread at this site, though I am not sure who shard it and I cant recall the thread, or find it for that matter. But if it isnt public (I thought it were) then I'll simply remove it.

Who's the creator again?

Level 4
i have one question, what does "Playable" mean.

well, i know what the word means but what does it mean in combination with a wc3 map.

is a round based bord game like chess with a surreal terrain what you consider playable? or do you rather mean like playable as a melee map? or maybe some hero duels / RTS ?

because playable could mean alot of things like a long cinematic in which you might choose diversive paths how the story will evolve though you wouldnt move a single unit all game long.

Level 36
Playable as in the essence of playable, I've answered this question before. There is no restriction as to any end other than that it is playable, that you cant walk through objects that isn't intended to be walked through and so on.

If there is nothing more than "playable" written, you shouldn't presume there to be more requirements, I've never understood why people ask if there is more when not more is written >.>

Level 4
because i guess that the authors of this thread wanted the terrain to be playable in the way that it wouldnt just be a messy clump of doodads clutched together just to look good at any cost.

but playable is a word which doesnt tell anything if you think about it more carefully. it doesnt imply anything because every human being could have a different opinion about what is "playable" and what not.
as i said, playable could mean that you click nothing more but dialogue buttons.
if every contestant can define playable himself this aint a terraining contest but rather a good-looking-mini-game contest.
was just curious.

Level 15
@ Accname. Yes, on it's own, playable could mean anything, but the fact that the word "terrain" is included in the title should make it pretty obvious that the goal of this contest is strictly the terrain and not anything trigger-related. Otherwise it would be called a mapping contest. This is generally accepted and understood by the hive members so I apologize for not going more indepth in what a "playable terrain" means. It just seems obvious.

When we are talking about terrain, the term 'playable' would be described as the 'pathing' part of any map. Anything that can be stepped on by a unit is considered to be the playable part of the map. As soon as you open WE, you have a playable map there. (you can move around with a unit. The unit can step on the ground). But to make it more interesting you start adding walls, stairs, bridges, suspended walkways, pathing blockers, etc. So before submitting your map to this contest, ask yourself these questions to assure that you have a good, playable map. Can a unit be placed in my map and be able to move around the majority of the map through the use of the things mentioned above? (staris, bridges, etc.) Can my unit walk through walls? (he shouldn't be able to) Is there any holes in the pathing blockers? Remember that your map will be tested ingame for these things.

Hope this helps you. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

I think "walkable" would be a better expression.

umm I've been planing on a rail movement sort of thing in mine, not that the player won't control the movement at all, but it will be restricted and mapped to arrow keys (I choose to do this sort of thing because I want movement to be a bit free of gravity in a few places (like walking up walls in a few places) - since it's mapped to the arrow keys I'll be able to have a bit more specific control over what the players movement can do).

From the current definition this was perfectly legal

Level 4
@chaos:
yes, exactly that was my question, thank you.
i was asking because i thought of using only flying units; the terrain wouldnt have to be walkable as well though it would be playable.

or maybe like a board game, units wouldnt move at all but be moved instantly with triggers.

i just dont want to hear that its not considered playable terrain by the judges when i am halfway through the process of making it.

that means the terrain got to be "playable" like a normal melee map i suppose?

umm I've been planing on a rail movement sort of thing in mine, not that the player won't control the movement at all, but it will be restricted and mapped to arrow keys (I choose to do this sort of thing because I want movement to be a bit free of gravity in a few places (like walking up walls in a few places) - since it's mapped to the arrow keys I'll be able to have a bit more specific control over what the players movement can do).

From the current definition this was perfectly legal

if triggers are permitted, but not judged (ie. they're aside from the playable or anything in the contest), how does that work right. i guess you could see it that way.

from my interpretation, you should be able to stick a ground unit in the specified playable area and it should be able to 'play' through it - you couldn't walk through things, out of the area, all that kind of thing. to me, this sounds pretty fair and what the whole playable part is about.

Level 4
[...]
If there is nothing more than "playable" written, you shouldn't presume there to be more requirements, I've never understood why people ask if there is more when not more is written >.>

I think "walkable" would be a better expression.

[...]
from my interpretation, you should be able to stick a ground unit in the specified playable area and it should be able to 'play' through it - you couldn't walk through things, out of the area, all that kind of thing. to me, this sounds pretty fair and what the whole playable part is about.

can this be officially cleared please, i am getting confused whom to trust, what exactly is identified as a playable terrain and what aint.

Level 31
A playable terrain is a terrain where you can put a unit into that can walk in it without walking into doodads etc.
That means you have to place Pathing Blockers etc.
For example in my terrain there are floating blocks on which you can walk.
That's only possible by using walkable doodads and pathing blockers.

This tutorial will help you:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/general-mapping-tutorials-278/walkable-walls-doodads-6982/

But you don't have to make triggers for gameplay like a map, just walk and see.
You can add triggers, but they won't drawn into consideration when judging.
It's a terraining contest not a mapping contest.

Level 23
My opinion on this as a judge is:
A playble terrain is like chilla_killa did mention already a "walkable" terrain.
When you only do terrain for air units this might be a nice idea. However it does miss the actual purpose of the Contest: Creating a terrain that is playable/workable. That means your terrain has to fit to every unit. This is not a mapping contest, therefore you should not focus on a special unit. What is in focus is the terrain, it does not matter what unit is used.
So basically my answer to your question is: Your terrain needs to be playable with ground units!

If Keiji as host however has a different opinion this does count and I'll judge it the way he wishes me to do.

Level 4
I'd like Keiji to define it as he's the one hosting it

keji defined it this way i guess:
Playable as in the essence of playable, I've answered this question before. There is no restriction as to any end other than that it is playable, that you cant walk through objects that isn't intended to be walked through and so on.

[...]
if this is the final answer a terrain for flying units only would count as playable since he said there is no restriction other then you cant walk through objects which are not intended to be walked through.
as i am the map maker i can intend, decide, say which objects should be walked through and which not and that means i can decide that units can walk through all objects without restriction and it would still be allowed.

Level 15
It's funny how everyone is saying the exact same thing just with different wording.

@Accname, Yes, a melee map is considered to be a playable terrain. If you take any melee map in wc3 and remove all the creeps, shops, and gold mines, then you have a playable terrain right there. However, melee maps in WC3 are really simple and boring. You will notice that most entries will be a lot more complex and less symetrical then a melee map. So you can make it like a melee map, but you will need to go alot more complex in your pathing layout to make the best entry possible.

And about you most recent post, sure it is allowed to have your unit walk through all doodads with no restrictions, you're not going to get disqualified if that's what you're getting at. But, honestly, why would you want to do that? You will get very low marks on the playability scoring.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Anyways here is my first wip. Only the playable part of the terrain. Now to work on the theme by constructing epic... you'll see. Side view to see height variation and top view to view the rest.
Pathing 1.jpgPathing 2.jpg
These are already completely playable. Every platform in the pic can be stepped on and pathing blockers have been placed to avoid falling off.

Level 36
Of course you are supposed to listen to me, I am the terrain moderator, and I am hosting this contest. I see now that there isn't anywhere it says that you cant use flying units as the "protagonist" of your terrain, and I will fix that. Because, in all seriousness, the challange of this contest is to make something else than only terrain art, and making a terrain where the playable part is a flying bird kind of ruins the whole purpose.

But as to that end, I said before, there are no restrictions. You can have your unit be controlled by triggers, and other fancy stuff, as long as the map portrays that a unit can walk around the terrain in a "normal" fashion. (again, not going through things and that stuff.) Take note though, triggers WONT be judged, so if you add an arrow movement system, you wont get any offisial credit for it, its for a personal appeal only.

I hope that can clearify some of the issues here.

Note: I posted this without noticing Chaos's post.

Level 4
It's funny how everyone is saying the exact same thing just with different wording.
that aint true, some were saying it has to be pathable for ground units and some said the opposite. that was my question.

[...]
And about you most recent post, sure it is allowed to have your unit walk through all doodads with no restrictions, you're not going to get disqualified if that's what you're getting at.
thats what i wanted to know, thank you.

[...] You will get very low marks on the playability scoring.
there hasnt been any information about the scoring and what will be judged exept that triggers will not.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
kind of.

Of course you are supposed to listen to me, I am the terrain moderator, and I am hosting this contest. I see now that there isn't anywhere it says that you cant use flying units as the "protagonist" of your terrain, and I will fix that. Because, in all seriousness, the challange of this contest is to make something else than only terrain art, and making a terrain where the playable part is a flying bird kind of ruins the whole purpose.
does that mean that what chaos said is wrong? i will be disqualified for using flying units only?
but using air units in combination with air pathing blockers would still be okay i guess?

Level 15
there hasnt been any information about the scoring and what will be judged exept that triggers will not.

It hasn't been mentioned. It is just common sense. If the point of this contest is good playablitiy and yet your terrain has none, then obviously you will get low marks.

does that mean that what chaos said is wrong? i will be disqualified for using flying units only?

I never said anything about flying units. I said that you can have your units walk through walls with no restrictions (pathing blockers) although I don't know why you'd want to do that. I never mentioned flying units because I was unsure about that. But Keiji just answered that for you. Sorry if I mislead you.

Level 36
but using air units in combination with air pathing blockers would still be okay i guess?

Lets put it this way, you would have to do something illegal to be disqualified. If you come here and post a terrain that doesn't follow the theme, you will get low ratings when it comes to the theme and the playability.

Also, the following things will be judged by the judges.

Playability.

- How well is the terrain made for playability? (this means you CAN use flying units, but you would have to be VERY creative to actually get a good score here.)

Theme.

- Does the terrain follow the given theme of the contest.

Overall Looks (appeal)

- This is art, after all. And hence, the terrain should be good to look at, it should be artistic, and the question then is: "is it?"

Technique.

- How well do the contestant use his terraining techniques, like lighting, doodad placement, pathing and other techniques that prove to be more complex than simply putting a doodad on the ground.

Also, I might have to steal that pathing idea from you Chaos :p

Level 13
My WIP.
Theme : Sea
Place : Under Sea
Picture Count : 5
Sea 1.PNG
Sea 2.PNG
Sea 3.JPG
Sea 4.JPG
Sea 5.JPG

/----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------\
Say me what you think about my map and what you think? And does it applies conditions for this concept?
My map is nearly finished, just need to something to float on top of the sea. A that's it. :grin:

My WIP.
Theme : Sea
Place : Under Sea
Picture Count : 5

/----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------\
Say me what you think about my map and what you think? And does it applies conditions for this concept?
My map is nearly finished, just need to something to float on top of the sea. A that's it. :grin:

??????

Status
Not open for further replies.