1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. From the gates of hell, the 5th Special Effect Contest Results have emerged.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Rubbed the right way, the genie is out of its lamp! The 12th Concept Art Contest Results have been announced.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Techtree Contest #7 - Super Unit[Optionally Paired]

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Pharaoh_, Jul 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowman990

snowman990

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Is it okay if I does not use ghostruster nor wazzz race selector and use someone race selector with their permission?

2. Astaroth Zion

Astaroth Zion

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    Great that this has started, I'm joining. My initial concept is about a futuristic/robotic race that has a godly unit as "ally" been hard to control but very rewarding if done right.

Well I don't think that it has to be tier 3, I mean that you could have it almost form the start and have each tier unlocks more abilities and substantial power boosts.
    If the race is centered on one unit, I don't want to wait 10-15 minutes to even be able to use it, and then by lacking the super unit your early game could be weak.

3. -Derp-

-Derp-

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Hey Astaroth, guess what? They both work.

boomwolf's idea of a 'final unit' is quite similar to the Mothership in Starcraft 2 or the Titan unit in Age of Mythology. End game unit, super OP, super hard to get. This idea is difficult if you have to base the entire techtree around it, but then again, you could just have buffs and what not affect the unit more. Or have researches give the super unit an ability as well as a normal unit an ability. This is actually easier to balance as you already know it'll be a late-game army vs army smashing delight.

Your idea seems quite similar to a hero-type unit. Slowly curves up to being a very formidable foe. The problem? Making it different from a hero. Giving it more abilities when teching up is a start, but then you have to balance that. 'Cause smart Sally is going to rush you with it if it's too OP. Too weak and there's no point in focusing on it and it'll turn into a mid-late game unit. What makes this difficult is balancing the million and a half scenarios whereas boomwolf's issue is pretty much making the unit worthwhile and integrated in the race.

My personal idea? Make the unit part of your base - literally. I've been looking at something similar to a floating farm that can pick up your structures, use that as weapons, or gain considerable bonuses from them. (Like health) Upgrades - like ones similar to Improved Masonry - affect the structures picked up and in turn increase the effectiveness of the super unit. The super unit is attackable by both Air and Ground (assuming I can get that to work), making it extremely vulnerable. Integrate it into the army? Give it a mana regeneration aura and have other units in the army degenerate mana when not near the aura. How do you balance that? Give all of your structures that aura as well, and add a spell that allows a unit to carry that aura for a short duration. With this the super unit starts off early game as more of a support unit and evolves into an offensive unit mid-late game.

4. Jazztastic

Jazztastic

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Brainstorming my idea. I want to get this idea down in writing and ask you guys what you think.

My super unit is a massive tank. It serves for all intents and purposes as a mobile town hall (although the movespeed would be very low). Units could be built within the supertank, and some researches could be bought from within. The buildings would all be mobile, so you could literally bring your unit spawns right to the fight.

There would be 3-4 captain units, of which you could only have 1 of each. These captains would have the ability to call in special support from the supertank. Support would range from artillery fire to launching special units directly into the battle.

The supertank itself would be without an attack. Only by calling in strikes and support would it be of effect. The heroes could tell it to use a short range low cooldown attack spell though.

The heroes spells will be amplified when within a certain range of the supertank. While the heroes should be useful on their own, they really shine when paired with the supertank.

Goldmines would work similar to the Undead goldmine. Lumber would be harvested by peon-type units and returned to either the supertank or a gatherer vehicle.

Of course there would be your default melee and archer unit. But then it gets weird. Since the spawning units are moving around, I would try to cram more units into fewer units, so there would be probably a vehicle for ranged, melee, then support. The units themselves would contain the researches to upgrade themselves, their vehicles, and the supertank. Basically your supertank spawns vehicles which are weaker which spawn even weaker infantry units. Although the upgrades work from the bottom up, the infantry boost themselves and the vehicles, the vehicles boost the super tank. The infantry would also be the only way to repair the supertank, so the supertank needs to make sure the infantry don't die, and the infantry needs to make sure the supertnak doesn't die.

5. Astaroth Zion

Astaroth Zion

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    @-Derp- well my idea is quite different. It's stated in the top part of my last post what I am planning to do XD.
    It's about a super unit witch you don't fully control, yet with your heroes and buildings you manage to get the unit do the fighting for you. Or if done wrong you could get the super unit enraged, and I will attack you as long as its berserker state lasts.

6. boomwolf

boomwolf

Resources:
    Resources:
    Sounds a bit similar to my idea.

In my concept you have a single superior unit type (extreme cost-power ratio), but cant control at all, with other units busy "motivating" the supers to actually do what you want them to (attract them with a "lure" spell, make them target specific enemies with some sort of bait, that kind of stuff.)

I think I found some sort of a weird way to get around the issue of "tier 3 focused" by having the superunit itself available at the very start, but completely out of control, and you set up ways to control it more and more as you tech up.

Not sure if I want a one-off epic unit, or multiple superior ones yet, but I am tending towards the single epic one.

7. -Derp-

-Derp-

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yeah, I read it. It's an interesting take; I'm curious on how you'll avoid the rushing scenario with it.

Good luck with it though, I'll look forward to your results.

8. 67chrome

67chrome

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Looks like a lot of you are having some cool ideas on this. I might join in, wish i checked the arena frequently enough to see the last contest :O (having my computer's power supply explode on me and take a month to repair probably didn't help XD)

If time allows I think I'll join in on this ;)

Though the theme does strike me as remarkably similar to the 2nd Race Building Contest over at WC3C

Check both "air" and "ground" under the Combat - Targeted As field, that should work (inversely un-checking everything there is a handy way to make casting dummies invulnerable).

9. Lordkoon

Lordkoon

Resources:
    Resources:
    I am joining this one. Nature race with big ass tree incoming.

10. -Kobas-

-Kobas-

Resources:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    PROXY accepted my invite and we will join this together as team.

11. Alagremm

Alagremm

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Damn, this seems like a good contest.

I even have an idea for a race, but seeing as I suck at working the triggers and object editor...

Still, good luck to the contestants. I hope to see some original ideas.

12. snowman990

snowman990

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    @Alagremm: Well, since this contest allow you to pairing with somebody, why don't you just search someone that's good at triggering? :p

13. Chizume

Chizume

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    This sounds like fun.

14. Alagremm

Alagremm

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    @snowman990: hm, that is a good idea. Could do it probably.

15. Lordkoon

Lordkoon

Resources:
    Resources:
    First WIP from me. Done so far : tier 1 basic units, hero, tier 1 buildings
    - Wood Defender - a footman-like unit cheap to build and fast to swarm the enemy. Has the upgrade to spawn a seed when it dies. Enemies who get near the seed will suffer 35 damage and detonate it.
    - Nature Lantern (farm) - provides food. Can be upgraded with Soothing Light. Each Lantern will spawn a spirit that wanders around the base and regenerates buildings (as the treants buildings can not be repaired by other ways)
    - Treant Workers - harvest gold and lumber. Can become invulnerable but unable to move for 3 seconds after being hit by an enemy. 20 sec. cd
    WC3ScrnShot_073012_112204_01.jpg

16. snowman990

snowman990

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I have reached tier 3 so... i'll just show some of this thing up.
    Some units
    [​IMG]
    Tier 2 unit :
    Restless Mummy : the mummy has a role as a tanker, because it has an ability to decrease any incoming damage
    Tier 1 Unit :
    Archer : First tier unit that require nothing at the start of the game. Can learn multi arrow to shoot multiple unit, but he has a very low hitpoint
    Pikeman : Tier 1 unit that require weapon smith to produce. It has an AoE damage.
    The hero :
    Sand Mistress : A hero that can heal multiple units or boost their attack. Can also hide them if needed.
    Ability :
    Holy Wave : The sand mistress heal the targeet, then the healing magic will bounce to another injured ally.
    Invisibility Sand : Hide the target from the enemy sight. It will become visible if it cast spell or attacking.
    Sekhmet Blessing: The sand mistress pray to the goddes of war, increasing nearby ally damage and armor while decrease nearby enemy damage and armor.
    SAndstorm : The sand mistress channel a saandstorm, it slow nearby enemy unit and deal damage to them.

[​IMG]
    Tier 3 unit : Ifrit : A unit that is good at destroying wave of enemies. It can send wave of flame that deal 90 damage in line, and fire breath that deal 100 damage in line.
    Sphinx : The super unit that i will edit someday, since it still imba. A little bit.
    Beetle Lord : Melee Tier 2 unit that can spawn beetles each time it attack (beetle last for 5 second. He attack slowly, so it wouldn't spam too much beetle.). Has aura of mana that increase nearby ally regen rate by 0.25 (stacking). Can learn death explosion, which make him explode at death, dealing 85 damage to nearby enemy unit and spawns 3 beetles from his corpse. Can also learn Horus Curse, which set the target aflame, and if it die, it will explode and deal 45 damage to nearby enemy units.

Well, it might be a bit boring, but i will edit some soon.
    Please note that the UI of my race does not showing up like that in your computer, i use a program to edit the normal orc's UI.
    Oh and yes, that is arcane vault, i'm way too lazy to create the race shop right now, i have to finish some hero because there's only 1 right now.

17. -Derp-

-Derp-

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Ifrit = DMC reference, right? Right?

18. snowman990

snowman990

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    DMC? What is that??

19. Chizume

Chizume

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Looking for teammate
    Hey friends, I'd very much like it if one of you side with me in this contest. A devoted person with decent english, or optionally swedish lingual skills would be necessary.

I believe someone with technical focus would best match us together.

I have a concept worked out which I think is quite solid. The race revolves around High Elves and magic (Arcane, Nature, Divine). It's not fully the type of High Elves we see in warcraft lore but it borrows some elements from it, as well as other worlds. We will of course discuss the race in detail and change things around until we both like it.

If you are interested send me a PM and I'll provide more information.

EDIT: Position taken!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  20. MetalKing1417

MetalKing1417

Resources:
    Resources:
    I am afraid that do to the fact that my computer just recently broke, that I may be forced to withdraw from this contest. Its sad too, because I was this close to finishing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.