• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

TechTree Contest #11: Theme Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
160036-albums4747-picture59500.png

techtree.png
contest.png
number.png
1.png
1.png

TechTree Contest #10 is practically done, with judge scoring done (as far as I know) and only a few days left on the poll. It was a great success with 15 participants and 7 entries reaching The Poll.

Now lets brainstorm for the next version of the contest.

The fist thing to decide is the Contest Modifier, here are 3 common variants:

Contest Modifier
Description

Solo
Single author for each entry, no collaboration besides the traditional testing and advising.

Paired
Contestants can join solo or with a team mate. In other words Optionally Paired.

Here are the ideas we have collected so far.
I will add or remove some along with our discussion.

Theme
Description

Alliances
Create a new faction based on an alliance not seen on the vanilla (Original) Factions of Warcraft (Example: Tauren and Human, Gnolls and Orcs, etc...)

Alternate Timeline
Describe a single or series of closely related events that have changed your timeline. Then create a faction that would exist in the present time on that alternate world. The faction and all its races must be already present in vanilla Warcraft, so no extraterrestrial beings nor races that are foreign to the Warcraft Universe.

Ancient Race
Create a faction that describies the origins of any of the vanilla W3 races. For example Night Elves pre-Sundering, Hunter Orcs in Draenor, etc.

Elements
Create a faction based on an Elemental focus, using one or more of the four base elements (Fire, Water, Earth and Air).

Evil Faction
Create faction that is a pure evil. Dark spirits, demons, mad scientists, or maybe a great looking civilization of light worshiping people that is corrupted from inside. "Evil will always find a way"

Improved Melee
Continue the evolution of one of the 4 main factions and enhance its techtree. Remnants of Undead and Night Elf, Humans after rebuilding their kingdom, Orcs after stabilizing and creating a new civilization, etc.

Mirror-verse
Reality turns upside down! Down is up and the poor become the rich. Take one faction from the Warcraft universe and shift their alignment. If they were evil before, now they're angels or vice-versa. Eg: The Burning Legion becomes the Shining Legion.

Nomad
Create a faction which their main system is like the Night Elven or heaven's fall's Zear Fallen in that their race has mobility at their side.

Revolution
Take one of the secondary races within the 4 W3FT vanilla factions and make a fully fledged Techtree for them. For example: Ancient's Army, Tauren's Clan, Dwarf Principality, Nerubian Kingdom, etc.

Techno-magic
Advanced technology meets magic! Reinterpret one of the vanilla factions as though they would exist in a futuristic universe where magic and science exist side by side. Example: Dalaran Corporation.

This a section for ideas that require a certain conditions before they become viable themes.

Theme
Description Requires be Included in The Poll

Evolution
Create a techtree that include elements of customization to every game played, units can develop different "final forms" depending on the player choises. This Techtree should be vastly bigger than the standard 12 units and 4 heroes, however, on single sesion you should be able to unlock only a regular number of units (12 units and 3 heroes for example) Given the extra amount of work needed, contest must be paired and a significant number of modelers should be interested.

Insurgence
Take up to 2 of the minor (and mostly oppressed) races in vanilla warcraft and make a separte faction. Idea scratched for being too similar to Revolution.

Over Powered
Create a faction that is desgined to be stronger by default than any single vanilla race. This factions must be design to play in handicap matches like 1 vs 2. More supporters required. (Personally I think this is not a good theme, because you can make an OP faction by with minor edits like x2 life or +15 damage to all units, etc. Not a theme that challenges people to be as creative as in other ones).

Pacifist
Create a faction that follows a degree of no agression policy, and thus must work in a support role for allied factions. For example no direct damage kills allowed, just DoTs, or no offensive units at all, etc. Just more discussion is needed. (I think is viable theme, yet I don't know if people would like to create non-combatant factions).

Post-Apocalypse
the Warcraft legendarium had had a sci-fi conversion... and then the apocalypse happened. Reinterpret one of the four vanilla races as though they have gone through a high-technological surge and are trying to rebuilt after a devastating collapse. Magic optional, but strongly recommended. More discussion of the theme is required, I guess. (I don't know how viable this theme is).

Technyfied Race
Create a futuristic techtree, rule-breaking the fantasy meta warcraft 3 has established. Perhaps the contest organizers can even gather up a bundle of futuristic models to provide the contestants. Everyone gets the same bundle but we see how much (if) differenly people use them. Last contest a similar idea called Futurecraft was dismissed for the scarcity of fitting resources in the Hive. (I don't know if even a Paired contest could solve this issue).

Unusual Race
Create a faction that doesn't follow a standart WC3 race format, but is competetive with standard races. So nothing extra weak or OP, just different, but made with counters with mind. This is more of a game-mechanic restrain than a Theme, more discussion is required to promote this theme.

12-June-2016
  • Thread created.
  • Added theme suggestion: Revolution
13-June-2016
  • Added themes not selected from the last poll: Alliances, Alternate Timeline, Elements, Fourcraft, Nomad.
  • Removed theme from last poll "Insurgence" being too similar to "Revolution".
  • Renamed Fourcraft to Improved Melee. Argument is to be consistent on how this kind of contest was called before. Also adjusted its description to what Kam posted.
  • Added themes: Evil Faction and Ancient Race.
  • Added links for Techtree Contest #3, that was named "Race Building Contest #3" in the archives.
  • Per request, removed the Mini- variant from the modifiers. Let me know if you disaggre.
14-June-2016
  • Renamed TEAM modifier to just Paired, because it would be hard to find so many contestants to have 3 people teams.
  • Added a proper description of Ancient Race. It should despice the origin of any of the vanilla races of W3 instead of giving chance to create real ancient civilizations (TO be different from the previous contest).
  • Added a area (Idea's Holdbay) for ideas that deppend on certain elements to be viable themes.
  • Themes added to Holdbay: Evolution, Post-Apocalypse, Techno-Magic, Technified Race, and Insurgence.
  • Changed Alternate Timeline description. Here is the old one "Create a faction based on the idea that they exist in an alternate warcraft universe. Example: humans may be extinct or the orcs never came to Azeroth"
15-June-2016
  • Added theme Techno-magic to main rooster, here old version: [C] Advanced technology meets magic! Reinterpret one of the four vanilla races as though they would exist in a futuristic universe where magic and science exist side by side. Example: Dalaran Corporation.[C]Just more discussion about the theme. (Personally I belive that by including the "Magic" element we have access to enough resources to make this a viable theme).[R]
  • Do to lack of support and recomendation, theme Nomad has been demoted to the "Holdbay", let me know if you want the theme back for the poll.
16-June-2016
  • Updated Previous Installments tab with the just published results of the Techtree #10.
18-June-2016
  • After short questionary, reinstalled Nomad as a option for the theme poll.
  • After short questionary, permision was asked to start the poll.
19-June-2016
  • Theme Mirror-verse added to 'Holdbay'.
  • Theme Mirror-verse approved for the theme poll.
  • Poll thread approved, (although seems that staff approval was not mandatory)
  • Poll thread created here.
24-June-2016
  • Theme Updated Techno-Magic theme wording from "one of the four vanilla races" to "one of the vanilla factions" to be more inclusive regarding neutrals and other vanilla factions.
27-June-2016
  • Poll ended, theme selected Techno-Magic, with a Optionally Paired modifier.

Last edited:
Level 12
Astaroth
I'll start the discussion after the results are posted
but if there's consolation prize for you
Send me the BBcode for the post and I'll use it

ALSO: Contest is solo as paired techtree contests should be in it's dedicated thread

Last edited:
Level 18
BlackRanger this is a discussion thread, and I am more than enough active to keep updating it.

By no means I am the owner of the Theme Discussion, just a hive member helping to get the things moving. You shouldn't act as the owner of this contest nor the only person capable of helping here.

ALSO: Contest is solo as paired techtree contests should be in it's dedicated thread
I don't think so, we only had 1 paired Techtree Contest in the past, just look the historical archives on the first post. Also you just don't force people on doing a Solo or Paired contest, as the theme choosing, it's also up to the contestants to decide what variant of the contest they are willing to have.

PS: (edit 1) they are no dedicated contest for "Paired Techtree", it's just a variant chosen by the contestants.

Last edited:
Level 12
BlackRanger this is a discussion thread, and I am more than enough active to keep updating it.

By no means I am the owner of the Theme Discussion, just a hive member helping to get the things moving. You shouldn't act as the owner of this contest nor the only person capable of helping here.

I don't think so, we only had 1 paired Techtree Contest in the past, just look the historical archives on the first post. Also you just don't force people on doing a Solo or Paired contest, as the theme choosing, it's also up to the contestants to decide what variant of the contest they are willing to have.

PS: (edit 1) they are no dedicated contest for "Paired Techtree", it's just a variant chosen by the contestants.

I see
Check the PM for more info

Level 18
Per Ranger request: adding themes not selected from the last poll. IMO that seems reasonable as people have fairly recently showed interest on those themes.

Edit: removed "Insurgence Theme" that was present in the last poll for being too similar to the "Revolution" Idea.

Last edited:
Level 20
I have few suggestions for a theme (I'm thinking about participating, as I'll have plenty of time during holidays):
  1. Unusual Race - basically a race that doesn't follow a standart WC3 race format, but is competetive with standard races. So nothing extra weak or OP, just different, but made with counters with mind.
  2. Ancient Race - while this one is a little bit similar to mitology, it can be also a forgotten sci-fi like civilization, or anything that appeared in the world ages ago
  3. Evil Race - race that is a pure evil. Dark spirits, demons, mad scientists, or maybe a great looking civilization of light worshipping people that is corrupted from inside. Possibilities are endless, 'cause evil will always find a way ;-)
  4. Movie Race - yeah, a race based on the movie. It explains everything, so nothing more to add.

Level 20
People still haven't discovered what Techtree #3 was. Misname contest one time to "Race Making Contest" and suddenly it disappears from existence. It was mini/campaign theme anyway.

Anyway I would pick Alliances or the Elements.
Altered Timeline is just "Free Theme", which isn't really a theme at all.
Fourcraft was done and honestly main 4 races are good enough as it is and there is nothing more boring than new races that are clones of existing races.
Nomad would be creative theme but I am sure people wouldn't like to have mechanical restriction when making a new race.
Revolution is the way I see it 1/2 of alliance theme since you pick just one creep race instead of 2/3. Besides race with actually just one race is boring, the four main are misnamed alliances of several races which is more interesting in my opinion.

The other offered theme well "Unusual" I find subjective and besides better let creators decide if they want to use wc3 formula or experiment instead of forcing it.
Ancient and Evil err no idea really.
Movie Race well just play wc1.

Evolutionary race well yeah good luck making that, just imagine all variables needed to be covered. Maybe if Misha would offer to make models.

Anyway what I would really love to remind everyone is when voting and offering theme please keep in mind the scarcity of resources. Not all people are modelers to make their own resources and techtree shouldn't be synonym for the Model Gallery.

Level 18
Great, this thread is now alive.
1. Unusual Race - basically a race that doesn't follow a standart WC3 race format, but is competetive with standard races. So nothing extra weak or OP, just different, but made with counters with mind.​
Sounds like a big wild card, IMO promissing but a bit too broad to judge entries that could be vastly unique for the sake of uniqueness. I would like that more experimented people could comment on this idea before adding it to the first post.
2. Ancient Race - while this one is a little bit similar to mitology, it can be also a forgotten sci-fi like civilization, or anything that appeared in the world ages ago​
Indeed similar to the past contest, but with less contrains on resources (icons + models) and interpretations. You could make cave men or stoneage trolls, etc. If people agree to go for this kind of contest again, I don't see a reason not to add it to the theme suggestions. To make it more unique we could restric the theme to only races found in vanilla warcraft. Like ancient taurens, cavetrolls, pre-tech dwarfs, etc.

PS: also if we got plenty of options, we can always do 2 polls. First one a multiple choise one, and then single vote for the 3-5 most popular ones.
3. Evil Race - race that is a pure evil. Dark spirits, demons, mad scientists, or maybe a great looking civilization of light worshipping people that is corrupted from inside. Possibilities are endless, 'cause evil will always find a way ;-)​
Muaaahahahaha, lovely theme IMO. Plenty of resources and possible interpretations.
4. Movie Race - yeah, a race based on the movie. It explains everything, so nothing more to add.​
Mmm too restrictive I think.

EDIT 1: instead of doble posting, I will add my comments on VeljkoM post here.

People still haven't discovered what Techtree #3 was. Misname contest one time to "Race Making Contest" and suddenly it disappears from existence. It was mini/campaign theme anyway.
Ups my bad, I will look for the contest and update the first post.
Altered Timeline is just "Free Theme", which isn't really a theme at all.
I have to agree here. Although as Chaosy stated Lore is awesome, altering the timeline would have vast and difficult to predict changes, and we won´t have much common ground to judge and compare the entries. IMO Alterate Timeline should be more of a contest for Short Story. I would like to remove this theme, if people agree on these arguments.
Fourcraft was done and honestly main 4 races are good enough as it is and there is nothing more boring than new races that are clones of existing races.
Revolution is the way I see it 1/2 of alliance theme since you pick just one creep race instead of 2/3. Besides race with actually just one race is boring, the four main are misnamed alliances of several races which is more interesting in my opinion.
Fourcraft = Improved Melee, we got a contest like that a long time ago, and new contestans have come since. We should give them the chance to go for this more "Clasic" option.
Also for these 3 themes (Improved Melee, Alliances, Rebellion) resources are plenty, and lore is vast. I bet that the more original interpretations would get more spotlight.

tech tree, eh? what about primal zerg?
aka where each unit has a chance and choice to evolve into something better after it consumes enough of some sort of essence? :b

feel free to give this a better name :b
Evolutionary race well yeah good luck making that, just imagine all variables needed to be covered. Maybe if Misha would offer to make models.

Anyway what I would really love to remind everyone is when voting and offering theme please keep in mind the scarcity of resources. Not all people are modelers to make their own resources and techtree shouldn't be synonym for the Model Gallery.
I have to admit that the evolutionary theme excites me because I would love to create or edit models to show this evolution. (I got many attachment models that follow this idea of tiers and incremental change). However, as stated by VeljkoM, this would rely heavily on creating custom resources. If the contest becomes Paired and we get enough modellers interested in participating we might have a solid and viable theme. (Lets put this idea on hold until we can vote and define if this contest is Paired or Solo.)

EDIT 2: wow this a big post, now I am starting to understand Kyrbi0 and his legendary walls of text.

Last edited:
I disagree with the idea that Altered Timeline is a 'free theme'. It's a broad theme with a wealth of possibilities, but I think this is what makes it fun. If you want additional restrictions, I suggest limiting it to the four main races, and imagine what they could look like if, for instance, certain events had never occurred. What would Humanity be like if Medivh never opened the dark portal? What if Arthas had failed to corrupt the Sunwell? What if Illidan was never imprisonned? What if Illidan succeeded in destroying the Frozen Throne with the Eye of Sargeras?

I don't have any particular desire for this theme to win, but I just wanted to get my thoughts out there, since this is a discussion thread. Anyway, I'm torn between Ancient Race (the Highborne could be fun), Improved Melee or Nomad. Revolution also interests me because I would relish the chance to try my hand at a High Elf race that is heavily dependent on magic.

Last edited:
Level 20
High Elf race which is heavily dependent on magic.
Finally someone who wants to make HE that are not a copy-paste of humans. Can't wait to see it :-D

I was thinking about making a race of undead originating from another dimension, based on late 80s/early 90s horror films (Evil Dead etc.). A race that do not train most of their units, they resurrect dead organic units as zombies and then transform zombies into more powerful units in special building + buildings can move quickly but have really little hp. So I'll vote for evil,nomad,ancient or alternate timeline (depends on which is more popular).

Level 18
Yeah, I've always been annoyed at how High Elves are usually portrayed. Too mundane. If Revolution gets picked, I'd probably make High Elves.
The pre-sunwell destruction High Elves?, because if I'm not wrong in W3:Frozen Throne, humans were allied with the Blood Elves. The vengance-hungry magic-deprived remains of the high elves.

Last edited:
Level 18
I like the suggestions made and see the logic behind them. Alternate Timeline can be a viable and challenging theme with a couple of arrangements. My proposal is the following:

Alternate Timeline Describe a single or series of closely related events that have changed your timeline. Then create a faction that would exist in the present time (¿WoW Legion's present time, or just Post-Frozen Throne?) on that alternate world. The faction and all its races must be already present in vanilla Warcraft, so no extraterrestrial beings nor races that are foreign to the Warcraft Universe.
We could also add a further note that The Logic behind your faction creation would weight heavily for the judges. If you have a faction with common Night Elves along Scourge Undead Generals your moment that changed the history must be a hell of a good one, I can't imagine one that would create such mismatch.

Overall, a team contest would probably be great.
It would be equally great to have to search for a mapping partner.

Though it would benefit me if I succeeded with finding one since I can't do gameplay stuff.

I am strongly in favour of having this contest paired.
I can help this idea by creating a poll on this same thread asking if you want a "Solo or Paired" contest. (Lets hear more voices that are in favor or against the paired contest, before creating the poll).
Then, if the idea or paired contest is selected, I would create a small section on the first post to showcase contestants that are looking for partners (Showing their skills and what skills they are looking for in a partner)

Last edited:
If there's any contest that would benefit from teamwork, this one certainly is at the top of the list. Making a race is a lot of work, so two people working on one race is bound to produce better results. That, or at the very least increase the chances of finishing the race itself.

The pre-sunwell destruction High Elves?, because if I'm not wrong in W3:Frozen Throne, humans were allied with the Blood Elves. The vengance-hungry magic-deprived remains of the high elves.
Well, yeah. Post Sunwell corruption are not High Elves anymore. Those that didn't follow Kael became The Wretched or w/e they're called. I think.

Level 3
If I may, I like the elemental race as that is generic enough for me to create lore for (I'm not as well versed in WC3 as I would like in order to keep in with the "feel" of the world). I enjoy greatly creating races, genealogies and lore/backstory. After all, in a story I'm writing under constant edit, I've up to 32 races, most with extensive characteristics and backgrounds fleshed out. So, yeah, an elemental race would be fun!

On the other hand, an Ancient race would also be interesting in the sense of origins for current races. Like how the Night Elves came to be, or the Dwarves, Taurens, etc. A sort of "long ago" type thing where we would make a tech tree of how they were before they became the way they are now. That would prove interesting, at least!

Now, being new to this, I certainly would like to pair up with someone instead of doing this all on my own. Not quite *that* confident yet! I'm sure I could easily pair up with Kyrbi0, but I see him on a daily basis, so I'd be interested in pairing up with someone here if any are interested (sorry sweetums!).

Level 14
Wow the hive looks nice!

I accidently saw a techtree contest is taking shape and if hopefully I get some free time to come up with an entry. Altho I am very rusty on the editor ;)

The main issues people/judges had with previous techtrees were overpowered/underpowered units so how about this contest go for something that is meant to be Op/Up. Like a strong race that takes at least 2 players to even the scales or a weak supportive tech that requires cooperation and protection but works on buffing team in unique ways.

I recently finished a book about a platoon of troops from 1800-ish-something that traveled to an alternate universe full of orcs and fantasy creatures. So an idea came about a futuristic techtree, rule-breaking the fantasy meta warcraft 3 has established. Perhaps the contest organizers can even gather up a bundle of futuristic models to provide the contestants. Everyone gets the same bundle but we see how much (if) differenly people use them.

@Spellbound
Yes, IF you find someone. That's the thing.
Not everyone has a good reputation to use in order to gather some bitch person to work for with you.
Yeah, but the idea is to have two different expertise working together, so each team mate has their work cut out for them. The reputation thing might be harder to circumvent though, I'll give you that.

Wow the hive looks nice!
Ikr? :D

I recently finished a book about a platoon of troops from 1800-ish-something that traveled to an alternate universe full of orcs and fantasy creatures. So an idea came about a futuristic techtree, rule-breaking the fantasy meta warcraft 3 has established. Perhaps the contest organizers can even gather up a bundle of futuristic models to provide the contestants. Everyone gets the same bundle but we see how much (if) differenly people use them.
This is also something I'd be interested in, but that would definitely require the participation of teams, seeing as 'technifying' units will require a lot of custom-made models. Personally, instead of 'make this race sci-fi', I'd go for something like:

Techno-magic - advanced technology meets magic! Reinterpret one of the four vanilla races as though they would exist in a futuristic universe where magic and science exist side by side. Example: Dalaran Corporation.

Alternatively, we could have:

Post-Apocalypse - the Warcraft legendarium had had a sci-fi conversion... and then the apocalypse happened. Reinterpret one of the four vanilla races as though they have gone through a high-technological surge and are trying to rebuilt after a devastating collapse. Magic optional, but strongly recommended.

Arguably, the Post-Apocalypse one does seem harder to create, since Post-Apocalypse itself is a rather vast theme. The idea is to have this sort of tribal influence that is common in PA setting mixed with recovered tech, so a variant of the techno-magic theme. That's why I said magic is strongly recommended.

Last edited:
Level 19
I would like to add a Apocalyptic/Futuristic theme, where you can create advance human factions with helicarriers and giant mecha droids to different groups nomadic, zombie apocalypse survivors, and also like factions between angelic, demonic and surviving human factions.

I like the paired contest, it gives certain advantages than a solo one and also has a higher chance of completing a faction.

Level 18
@Permin (link to post): I really liked your explanation for the Ancient Race, by focussing on origin stories for Vanilla Races we have a theme reasonably different from the "Mythology one".

NEW FEATURE: added a Hidden Tab on the first post (called Idea's Holdbay) for every theme proposed on the thread but not yet pulished, a space to help directing the discussions. Themes on this area are not yet "approved" for the oficial poll or where already dismmissed.

@MatiS (link to post) the Unusual theme added to "Holdbay", pls be sure to revise if I got it right.

tech tree, eh? what about primal zerg?
aka where each unit has a chance and choice to evolve into something better after it consumes enough of some sort of essence? :b
@Misha (link to post) theme added with the tittle Evolution to the "Holdbay", let me know if I described properly the idea that you were proposing.

@Spellbound (link to post) and @apcrabnightlive (link to post), your themes (Techno-Magic and Post-Apocalypse) have being added to the "Holdbay", let me know if I got the ideas right.
PS: personally I think that the Techno-Magic theme is a good one. Solid amouts of resources if we take in account the "Magic" element. I would like to add this theme ASAP to the offical rooster. Besides we would be able to give good use to General Frank's Techno-Magical vehicles like this1, this2, and this3.

@Lordkoon (link to post) using Spellbound definition I have added to the "Holdbay" your 2nd theme with the title Technyfied Race, however, I do not know how to define your first idea of OP/Support faction. Would you mind elaborate more on that suggestion?

Last edited:
Level 14
Well I meant a faction that is to be played in handicap matches like 1v2 OR a supportive faction that is meant to boost up another classic faction but falls short in 1v1 so it must be played in a handicap aswell. I am thinking of a whole faction that is (by some lore) disalowed to harm/kill directly so it must aid an ally by buffing, constructing, morphing and upgrading that allys' armies and base.

Level 15
Alternate timeline or Ancient races! I really don't get why everyone wants something crazy different, when in the end we get like 3 entries. So my pick are these, because it is easiest to make races based around these ideas!

Level 12
Well I meant a faction that is to be played in handicap matches like 1v2 OR a supportive faction that is meant to boost up another classic faction but falls short in 1v1 so it must be played in a handicap aswell. I am thinking of a whole faction that is (by some lore) disalowed to harm/kill directly so it must aid an ally by buffing, constructing, morphing and upgrading that allys' armies and base.

Too Difficult to do as it is a pure Handicap to any player

I like the idea of both techno-magic and post-apocalipse. This themes need tones of custom models, so what would be the rules about them? Would I be able to create a model and use it instantly or would I have to upload it in the model section first?

You're allowed to create and use models and distribute them but you're not allowed to team up with someone else unless it's a paired techtree contest

Level 24
...I really don't get why everyone wants something crazy different, when in the end we get like 3 entries. So my pick are these, because it is easiest to make races based around these ideas!

You do have a point on what you said, depending on the theme. Some may just not be able to create something unique for the theme or rather they just lost motivation to make it IMO.
Chances of happening like this, may be reduced by the Paired option, yet finding a pair that will "gladly" help you, Meh.

I'll keep watching where this discussion will go.

Level 18
I like the idea of both techno-magic and post-apocalipse. This themes need tones of custom models, so what would be the rules about them? Would I be able to create a model and use it instantly or would I have to upload it in the model section first?
Yes, you are allowed to create as much content as you feel appropriate and no need to upload it to the model section. (yet after the contest I recommend uploading your finished custom models and icons, share the love with the rest of the hive *wink*)

The Techtree Contest entry must follow the Site Rules (link) and also the Map Submission Rules (link). On these rules the only relevant part to your question is that all imported resources (including your own work) must be credited and that the only rips allowed are from other Blizzard Games.

Level 14
Too Difficult to do as it is a pure Handicap to any player

If you'v watched or tested techtrees on previous contests most of the time people have a harder time making a balanced race and instead finish with a overpowered/underpowered one almost by default. I find it difficult to believe that once the actual idea is aimed at that result, people will find the execution of it harder.

Level 12
If you'v watched or tested techtrees on previous contests most of the time people have a harder time making a balanced race and instead finish with a overpowered/underpowered one almost by default. I find it difficult to believe that once the actual idea is aimed at that result, people will find the execution of it harder.

The idea is good and easy but the way you've explained it is the difficult part

Level 18
Ok people, I see that you want to move forward. I propose to wait 48 hours before starting the theme poll, and thus give people a final chance to give their opinions and support or demote theme suggestions.

I will edit this post to bring back current discussions, and pending issues. (EDIT: thread is moving fast, instead of editing I will do a new post with the pending issues.

PS: @BlackRangerXIII let me PM my thoughts and arguments, but in summary and to be consistent with the current discussion this poll must be muti-choise and also include the (Paired or Solo) question.

Last edited:
The reason why I'm against single-choice voting for something like a theme is that you may want to pick several choice since a person will generally not be strictly limited to one thing. People have varying degrees of interest. I'm not saying single-choice voting is a bad idea, it's just that multipoll might give a more accurate reading of what people really want, given that single-choice means secondary options get shut out completely. That being said, idk why the minimum is 10, seems like a rather random number to me. I say more than 3 options should warrant multipoll.

Level 12
The reason why I'm against single-choice voting for something like a theme is that you may want to pick several choice since a person will generally not be strictly limited to one thing. People have varying degrees of interest. I'm not saying single-choice voting is a bad idea, it's just that multipoll might give a more accurate reading of what people really want, given that single-choice means secondary options get shut out completely. That being said, idk why the minimum is 10, seems like a rather random number to me. I say more than 3 options should warrant multipoll.

Lady @Apheraz Lucent wrote the quote
Not me

Level 18
Completely agreed, mutipoll is far better giving a fair election to all.
But please just don't trust my opinion, see these 2 videos (<5 minutes on youtube) where the problems with single voiting and the spoiler effect are easily explained. The Problems with Single Voiting and Alternative Voiting. We won't rank our votes exactly as in the second video, yet multivote is the first step towards Alternative Voting and better elections.

Now 2nd Point, we will need to ask 2 questions on the same poll, the theme and the contest type (if single or paired), so is technically impossible to have it single vote (Two polls is hard to make public). Look an example of multivote caused by more than 1 question on the poll, Example from Techtree Theme Poll #9.

EDIT: does anyone agree or disaggree with the 48 hours wait time before starting the poll?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.