• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Race Building Contest #3 Poll

Which three races are the best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 38
I'm setting this up so everyone can vote for up to three races, the races with the most votes wins. Please check out all 18 races, it takes a considerable amount of time to put together a playable race. Any reviews of the races is also encouraged ;)

-Mage_Goo's Submission
-Stanakin Skywalker's Submission
-Veljkom's Submission
-Ghost765's Submission
-Red Baron's Submission
-Mr.Goblin's Submission
-Xiliger's Submission
-Pippo's Submission
-Master of Eagles' Submission
-Wraithling's Submission
-Wazzz's Submission
-Zpider's Submission
-Supertoinkz's Submission
-Pharaoh_'s Submission
-X-OMG-X's Submission
-chilla_killa's Submission
-Gyrosphinx Submission
-Martin Barbov's Submission

Thanks to Chaos for putting all the entries together ;)

Edit - If you vote for yourself that vote will not count, if you vote for more than 3 races all of your votes will be thrown out. As long as you have a user profile on this site you can vote in this poll.

Also, I would really appreciate it if some comments were posted about the reason for your voting, even if you have ideas of how races could have been better, an in-depth critique for why you did not vote for someone is usually always more valuable than the vote itself, people like to get a reaction out of their hard work. I'm not feeling motivated enough to through out any vote that does not have an explanation behind it, though the idea has been brought up. Just keep in mind that the more in depth your analysis and critique of each race, the more helpful you are being to the community and the site, and the higher the probability you will get reputation added to your profile. It's not a sure thing, but if you analyzed everyone's race chances are you will be rewarded.

Last edited:
Level 15
Awesome. I still have like 6 races to test. Takes over an hour each. I test once with cheats to check tooltips, ideas, concepts, etc., and to get familiar with the race and it's strategies. Then I test them 4 times without cheats, each with a different strategy, to test balence. Anyways my vote won't come for a few more days. Good luck to all.

Level 16
Awesome. I still have like 6 races to test. Takes over an hour each. I test once with cheats to check tooltips, ideas, concepts, etc., and to get familiar with the race and it's strategies. Then I test them 4 times without cheats, each with a different strategy, to test balence. Anyways my vote won't come for a few more days. Good luck to all.

Even though you're a non-contestant, I admire your profound interest throughout the contest and your dedication to test the races. God bless :)

I'll be play-testing all races again this week just to re-freshen my mind, so I'm hopeful to finish my deliberations and have a review written by this weekend. Best of luck to all contestants!

Level 35
Yes, we can vote, and it already appears Zpider has taken the honours of voting for himself already... very nice, Zpider...

Well, of course we're able to vote for ourselves, but will there be any rules or regulations against it? I don't think we should, and I also think that there should be some form of punishment for doing so (maybe just take the vote off them, idk :p)

ADDITIONAL: Well, I voted and picked 2 races. One was Wraithling's race and the other was Ghost765's race (srsly, it is great =D). Here's my review on both of them:

Wraithling's Ghost Race:
Pros:
1. Model and Skin choices work well together.
2. White and Black Ghost ideas are both very unique and strategic.
3. Mirages are a very interesting concept, weak healing to make up for no regeneration as well as becoming a defensive powerhouse for sieges.
4. Nice GUI effects, knowing how to trigger doesn't contribute much to my vote, but the ability ideas do, and a lot of them were triggered. And were nice. So yeah :p
5. Instead of having just evil Devil Ghosts or kind Casper-esque Ghosts, Wraithling did a combination in which both were not too evil or too good, but a nice medium where White Ghosts are giving while Dark Ghosts are selfish. Very nice touch!
6. Hero unit contributes heavily to the Ghosts without making them to op (if op at all). Also has a nice set of abilities.
7. Competes very nicely against melee races despite having withdrawn techtree

Cons:
1. Tooltips are extensive and a bit too much on the eye candy side. Makes it annoying to read if you're playing through the race for the first time and trying to do so without cheats.

All in all, the Ghost race as seen by Wraithling is a well done race, although you may need to play through them a couple of times before you know what each ability does due to extensively informative tooltips. 8/10

Now, for Ghost765's Imperial Regiment:
Pros:
1. Nice use of models and skins, they all work very well together.
2. Units are obviously well thought out in terms of different roles.
3. Nice abilities, not too overbearing to use first time (I especially like the effect the early ranged units have of increasing their damage in numbers but having a 25% chance to miss on each attack. Very inventive, and balances out their seemingly overbearing attack).
4. I LOVE the way you did the upgrades, very unique using the caster upgrades to go through the supposed ranks (although it can be a little op once you have all the upgrades, I liked it nonetheless. Besides, balancing isn't complete issue atm)
5. Competes very nicely against melee races.
6. Recruiting units instead of training is always a nice change, despite the rally point no longer working.

Cons:
1. 2 melee units at the start, one is used for blocking against Piercing attacks, the other for... dying? I appreciate that they come in higher numbers (the dying one), but are they both really needed? I would appreciate a weak aura on the second melee unit at the very least.
2. Hero abilities are obviously not complete/well thought out (I know you're circumstance, but you also knew this would contribute to the final mark).

All in all, the reason this race got my other vote is because balancing is not a key issue, and the race does compete well enough for it to be fun. I don't like the hero as is, but I know you ran out of time. Ultimately, the final tanks are not needed in a one on one battle with any melee race as you can just spam gunners backing up cheap melee units. Final verdict is 7/10.

I am a tough marker and believe that 10/10 would require something so ingenious and inventive that it shits on everything else, even anything else that would have gotten a 10/10 by my standards, so 8 and 7 out of 10 from me is very good. Besides, the numbers don't count for anything in the end apart from my vote, so now you have an idea of what I think of your races =D

Level 11
I should accept, there there are many cool ideas, I expected much less from this contest to be sure. Unfortunately, I switched my interests to some new games and left the contest, I know just check the news, resources and contests. If the races are done better, without some annoying issues, if all of them have proper descriptions, techtrees and concepts, it would be rather difficult to choose any. As for me, you can all see, which entrys I picked, just want to comment a bit on it.

I think, that's clear, that Mr.Goblin is in favor of this contest, not just because he really-really much put in it, creating all this icons, models and so on, but because this concept is ... unbelievable to be created at such a high level! Now we can create beatiful campaigns, use unique resources! Especially I like the upgrade icons with this fur gloves. Outstanding job! But I dislike the hero - the mesh is done well, the unit part is also, but abilities are really boring. I hope, in the full version, which you promised to provide us with, Mr.Goblin, you'll change it a bit. ;)

The next for me is Veljkom's Sea Legion race. I know, that wasn't such hard to find all this models, but in part of unit abilities it is epic! In my opinion. :) The hero is done well, but I dislike the model ;( Town hall rox! xD I really like this combination of two models.

And the third place from me is going for Stanakin Skywalker's Kobolds. I still find some ways to improve it, but the concept was fine. :)

I think, that's clear, that Mr.Goblin is in favor of this contest, not just because he really-really much put in it, creating all this icons, models and so on, but because this concept is ... unbelievable to be created at such a high level! Now we can create beatiful campaigns, use unique resources! Especially I like the upgrade icons with this fur gloves. Outstanding job! But I dislike the hero - the mesh is done well, the unit part is also, but abilities are really boring. I hope, in the full version, which you promised to provide us with, Mr.Goblin, you'll change it a bit. ;)

hey there, mate, if you have good ideas for spells, and units, send me a p,m :D

to make a full race, I still need 1 spell caster unit (ex:shaman), an other flying unit, and 1 group helper unit. (ex:kodo-beast)

and I need 3 more heros D:

1 group helper
1 spell caster
1 agility type (range maybe)

Level 18
I hate this part of contest... At least those who deserve will going to win. Also is it just me or we can vote more then once?

"I'm setting this up so everyone can vote for up to three races"

Was asking the same until I read that ^^;
I just think the judge will be mad at you if you vote for more than 3.

Level 22
so...are we allowed to vote for ourselves?
note bout Raise Shield on the swordsman, it has a 35% chance to block 17 damage from any damage source, not just piercing.

But yeah, i fear that some people may not get any votes because people dont really want to test all 18 races 0.o

Level 35

Right... this is exactly why the idea of public polls wasn't popular among us contestants. There's going to be many a vote for people who can create custom skins and icons. But this is a race building contest, not a texture or icon contest. The problem is nobody sees that...

In my opinion, Mr. Goblin's race was good, but not all that original. I'm not saying anything like he had to use triggers or anything, but his race overall is really just the Orcs, only frosty. Not overly original in terms of techtree, which is what the racebuilding contest is all about. Mind you, his race was enjoyable and the models and skins did work well together, which is always a bonus.

I think the worst part is that nobody outside of the contest will bother reading what they're actually making the votes based on, leading to some different votes to what they would vote on based on those guidelines. And that's just not cool. Something should be done, like getting a customized team to vote on the races, not going to the public where people will get votes purely because they created custom icons and skins.

Level 18
I think a poll is a bad idea with so many races to test.
People will probably just look over them and decide their favorite, meaning that the most unique looking will win the poll. :\
I'm not saying everyone will, but perhaps enough people to mess up voting.

Level 35
Yeah, agreed, Billy the Cat. For example, MISHA voted for the SEA LEGION with no VALUABLE INSIGHT. But the funny thing is Misha is the biggest Naga Fan I've ever seen. Now, seeing as how there was no valuable insight that this decision was based on, I'm thinking that the public polls isn't actually a bad idea after all. No no no no, not a bad idea at all. It's a F***ING TERRIBLE one.

Mind you, 67Chrome is keeping a tab of who voted for what, so with any luck he may be able to salvage the credibility of this contest (fat chance, though).

People should post indepth reviews before or after posting on AT LEAST the races they chose above the others so that we know at least why they made the choices they did. Oh, and voting for someone purely because they created custom skins and icons or purely because you like the race they did and not necessarily how they did it is literally ruining both the credibility of the contest and your own. Suffice it to say that it's just stupid to make decisions based on that aspect of the race rather than how the race was done.

And Billy the Cat, the only people who have read the actual rules based on which they are voting are:
A) The contestants, and
B) People who took the time to actually understand what the contest is all about.

So yeah, this poll has lost all of my respect. I think in future the following limitations should be made in the rules:
1) No custom icons/skins/models/triggers/anything-else-that-already-has-a-contest-for-it allowed. That way, the voting will HAVE to count purely for the race itself, and NOT anything else.

...actually, that's it atm. People like Mr. Goblin complained about how some people would have more triggering skill over him, so that he was making custom skins and custom icons. I do believe he's right there, too, as triggered spells are often highly received by people who actually play the race. Otherwise, they go straight for the presentation, based on how custom it is. I don't think that how 'good it looks' should constitute a voting aspect, rather how 'well the model choices work together'. Even then, that should contribute to a vote at all, as some people will choose races that don't have many models.

The other problem is that there are 18 races to play, and we've already got votes within 1-2 days of the polls being up by people who probably wouldn't have heard of this contest until recently. That means there's people who haven't even played the races at all -.-

Level 35
What the hell are you on about, Mulgrim? This is really the truth, and if you can't handle it, I suggest you prepare yourself for a very sheltered life style.

People are voting based on custom skins and icons (Pippo proved that this would happen based on his reasons for giving X-OMG-X a higher rating), or based on what their favourite race is (Pippo also proved this based on his rating for Stanakin Skywalker). This wouldn't be a problem if we were all noobs here, but we're not, and a public poll opens up the votes to be made by noobs.

I'm not using the term 'noob' as an insult, btw, I'm just saying that there's plenty of people voting here that don't know the basis of what they're voting on and that a lot of people know no better than to vote for:
A) 'Look at all teh pretty colours!'
B) 'I love this race, hearing its name gets me indiscretely excited ;)'
C) 'I LOVE this contestant, he can have my vote any day!'
D) 'Ooh, teh trigger spellz are awesomely op, I can actually win using this race! =D'
E) 'No particular reason, I just clicked teh pretty buttons in an order that pleased me most'
F) 'What the hell... is this a contest forum? I thought it was open for discussion where we could state "now everyone's true colours come out" and say nothing more, thinking that it constitutes a response to someone stating and giving 100% valid reasons for why the polls shouldn't be public. Howz about that'

...and yeah, I'm sure I could go on about the fairly standard responses. BTW, when I made reference to Pippo, it was because his reviews in the original forum proved to us that public polls could not be relied on to give actual worthy responses to submitions. No offence to Pippo, but he is a very good example of what someone would do if they didn't know how to make a decent review.

After all, when it comes to the different forum sections, for example the Maps section, the moderators have to test lots of maps they wouldn't normally play. For example, Rui might not like a particular gaming style, but if someone does it and submits it, he's not going to play it and then say 'This is gay! GAAAAY!!! I don't even like this game style!'. No, he's going to think more in terms of 'What did they do right? And how could they improve their map? What would I rate this based on how complete it is as opposed to how complete it can be? How much is the idea itself worth?'.

So yeah, suck it in, Mulgrim.

Level 9
Well you guys could move my vote to Wraithlings if that makes a diffrence.
(at first I thought we were only given one vote)

His and mine are the only ones worthy of my vote.
This does not mean that the rest are worthless, because they are not.

I am sorry but the race is supposed to be able to fit in any kind of map.
Many races do, but I might be alone about this. But I rarely see for example Tuskarr wandering around in a jungle environment. Nor buildings made outof ice in such areas.

I am sorry but the models are supposed to fit the race. Which they in most cases do.
Overscaling some models however causes them to no longer fit the race. This is a big turn off for me. I try not to do it, hence why my ultimate unit is not much bigger then a tauren.

Stanakin Skywalker's Worm
wormr.jpg

units.jpg

Wazzz, I didn't vote for what the mainstream ( most likely Battle.net clan members ) thinks is the "best race".
Because they aren't the best races, simple as that. I could have voted for someone else than myself.
But as I said, I don't mind it if someone move my vote to Wraithling since his race is equally as good as mine.

I don't like it that people that havn't even said a word in the Custom Race Competition thread. Vote without even trying our races. Next time. If there will be a next time.
I won't join unless there are judges. Because this sucks.

Last edited:
Level 15
everyone has the resources of hive(and more...) to be used to their best in their race, you'll have to accept that "pretty colors" make your race more attractive to want to play, like it or not it works like this, but i don't like the idea either of judging it by its "pretty colors". If you happen to be a very good icon maker, then no shit, it's going to help, it's a "perk" but the race isn't just pretty colors.

this poll should just be closed, looking at a model or skin, you know you like it by just looking at it. But here, a race-building contest you need to play every damned entry to know which one is better, and I highly doubt anyone besides the judges has done this.

edit: yes, i admit i voted based on "pretty colors" too, but i like stanakin's ideas too.

The problem is that thoroughly testing 18 races and remembering everything about them in order to compare all of them and doing it right is not humanely possible. I'll test every race, but I'll vote on the ones I had most fun playing. I have no time or motivation to go and test 18 races against all four melee races and properly comparing them. :/

@ zpider, lol, it does look a tad overscaled there. And I think it's size is set to about 0.5 in the Model Editor. ;P The problem with it is that it's attack animation requires it to be able to attack buildings from above and it thus has to tower over them.

Level 18
Problem is that people have 2 options:

1. Having a quick look at all races and vote for the one that looks cool and not having to spend a lot of time so more can vote.
2. Spend a lot of time checking all races thoroughly to be sure that you vote for the right one, while your vote is just a small piece of the final result.

Level 35
Seconded to everyone saying the public poll idea weren't a great choice...

Anyway seems like I accidentally voted for four races while my votes actually was only intended to be for 3 people.

Those 3 people being:

1: Zpider

2: Wraithlings

3: Mr. Goblin

All of which race's I have played, although I only have posted a review of Zpiders - I might post for the 2 others as well, although I am incredible busy at the moment.

Good luck and good work everyone :thumbs_up:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can also clearly see that my use of a completely original idea for a race without relation to wc3 and a totally different resource system so far haven't won anything for being the most original idea.. But oh well - I did expect this outcome from the moment a poll was certain. Still do hope some people will take the time to try mine out and thereby maybe get inspired to something new, as that was my personal reason for entering this contest.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Level 9
In my humble opinion the first three races in Techtree Contest #1 were far better than any race here. Mainly because they were original and far more creative than these here, even though back then we weren't allowed triggers.
I'm kind of disappointed by the entries. Not that they are bad but too generic. Nothing original, nothing creative, just changed models and names.
Here's my vote:

3: Mr.Goblin's Tuskarr
Although Mr.Goblin's race was a target of many disputes the work, spent on it, is undoubted. I vote for the time he spent on making icons and skins, not only for the race. And also I liked the mount. It's the second time I see that in action(the first was my Magical Union race).

2: Red Baron's Mighty Goo's
The only truly original idea. It's just a concept though and is less finished than mine but still it's a great concept.

1: Stanakin Skywalker's Kobolds
That's my choice for a winner. Great unit choice. Everything fits well. The mine/hall is a good idea.

Level 35
In my humble opinion the first three races in Techtree Contest #1 were far better than any race here. Mainly because they were original and far more creative than these here, even though back then we weren't allowed triggers.
I'm kind of disappointed by the entries. Not that they are bad but too generic. Nothing original, nothing creative, just changed models and names.
Here's my vote:

3: Mr.Goblin's Tuskarr
Although Mr.Goblin's race was a target of many disputes the work, spent on it, is undoubted. I vote for the time he spent on making icons and skins, not only for the race. And also I liked the mount. It's the second time I see that in action(the first was my Magical Union race).

2: Red Baron's Mighty Goo's
The only truly original idea. It's just a concept though and is less finished than mine but still it's a great concept.

Agree - Techtree Contest #1 races was better and it might be an idea to take a look back at what there was done at the time.

Also I can only agree with you judgment of the 3 races you voted for - Your reason for voting Goblin is very similar to my own.

Thanks mate - I still do have some fond memories of our last race contest against each other :wink:

People are voting based on custom skins and icons (Pippo proved that this would happen based on his reasons for giving X-OMG-X a higher rating), or based on what their favourite race is (Pippo also proved this based on his rating for Stanakin Skywalker). This wouldn't be a problem if we were all noobs here, but we're not, and a public poll opens up the votes to be made by noobs.

Custom UI is not what noobs is voting for. I currently have 2 votes. It gives me a rating that is much less than many other contestants. People is voting on their 'friends' or the big and known names. The noobs is voting random or the race with the most custom models/skins/icons. Others is reading the description, and is voting on the best races equalt to their submission/screenshots/description. And at last, the rest 5% of the people is actually testing some of the races and votes on the best races they tested. And that gives me a little list:

Votes by noobs - 73%
Votes by dumbheads - 20%
Votes by people with brains - 5%
Votes by real reviewers - 2%

Er... I currently have the most votes and I am not, by any means, a 'big and known name'... Your list is very random, not one of us can truly say he/she knows on what basis people are voting.

I still like the idea of people having to give reviews of the races they voted for, but it seems a bit strange to change things around when voting's already started.

Of course, you probably think I'm saying this because I'm currently leading in the poll and not because I actually believe what I say. :/

Level 9
Here are my reviews of some races. I hope i have the time to review all of them.

PROS:
- Well written Tooltips and much comparisons between Meele Races made it easy to start
- Nice passive Abilities on Normal Units
- Many Imports: Icons, Modells
- Triggered Passives/Spells (Great work on Unit Passives, brings a strategic aspect.)

Not Rated:
- Balance (Tested with cheats only)
- Ability to team with other races

CONS:
- Not so much Upgrade Levels
- Some Modells take unnecessary size

Points: 4/5 - Some more Upgrades and some lesser poly models and your race will be great.

PROS:
- Unique Race Feeling, but has also a great Meele Character
- Many Units, Buildings and Upgrades
- Good use of ingame Modells but also good costum Modells
- Triggered Spells on Hero and Units

Not Rated:
- Balance
-Ability to team up

CONS:
- Some tooltip mistakes like "Flüssiges Feuer" ,the Catapult's Tooltip or the Batrider's Name
- I can't test the Balance yet, but some units look overpowered

Points: 4/5 Very well done Race, but I can't go with these Tooltip Mistakes.

PROS:
- I always looked for a Kobold Race in Warcraft 3, Great Work !
- Great Filesize of 1 MB but also costum models and icons
- It was funny to kill the big Tauren or Orcs with my little Kobold army
- Fitting and much Upgrades
-Very Original

Not Rated:
Look at others

CONS:
- Some tooltip mistakes like "Kriegsdonner" or "Ausdauer-Aura"
- The Spell mentioned above (Kriegsdonner) is just a copy from the blizzard version
- The Worm !! It does not fit with the little kobolds...

4.5/5 Points - Remove the Worm, and correct the tooltips and it will be a 5.

PROS:
- Many and nice upgrades
- The Ability to upgrade your Food House instead of building another one
- Great Modells and Skins
- Good triggered Hero Spells and nice unit spells
- I've found no wrong tooltip

Not Rated:
- Your Interface is a nice addition to the Hell Theme of your Race BUT no other map has something like this, so i won't rate it !

CONS:
- Your Hero looks a little bit overpowered, especially the Fire Nova !
- Too many heavy units: Magma Wyrm (1200 hp), Hell Turtle (1000 hp), Hell Basher (1000 hp) and Obsidian Tank
- There is no Supporter Unit like a Fire Mage or something

Points: 4.25/5 - As I said, the Hero looks overpowered and there are too many heavy units, but all other things are well done.

Next Coming in Time..

Last edited:
Level 31
I've downloaded all maps, full reviews will follow.

Cool, have fun with em.
@ike_ike: Yeah I think your right. I'm just a bit over reacting because I'm losing and I hate losing :(
Those who have the most votes will deserve them, I will have to accept that.

Level 5
As expected, the races with custom art made specifically for them are in the lead. I hate to say it, but I told you so.

Status
Not open for further replies.