• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terrain Contest #4 POLL

Who made the best submission?

• [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/874236-post179.html"]Oziris' Submission[/URL]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/842006-post97.html"]redscores' Submission[/URL]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
So... this ends at 100 voters?

I'm pretty sure it ends on a certain date. No sense in limiting vote numbers.

As for my vote, it goes to Void, if only because I like the feel of the terrain a lot more than the other ones, excluding Naze, who didn't have enough construction for my taste. Famous' entry was executed near perfectly, but the idea was more or less original (IMO). Neither was Void's but it just looks prettier to me.

Level 12
Hey Terrainers...

This has to be one of the best Contests to-date, the submissions here were truly amazing.
FamousPker got my Vote, but I had some real problems deciding between Void's, and Mr. Goblins. Great work for you guys as well though :D

The only reason Famous got my vote is because his monsters are pretty much the best made, and have the most "detai" of the three. Void's just doesn't look real enough, some of the monster's parts looked really odd compared to the rest, and Mr. Goblins was too hard to see :/

Well, other than that I can only say,
may the best terrainer win.

Level 34
I'll let Elenai make the icon and trust he can come up with something good. His last one was awesome, but Ghan used the tree since El never sent him the good one.

Sorry for the delay, just got Far Cry 2 yesterday and played it for the most part, completely forgot about judging. I'll do it this afternoon after school D:

Take your time, it's okay. Far Cry 2 is much much more important than a bunch of nerds terraining for a 6 year old game.

Seriously.

Level 34
And I bought GTA 4 Yesterday. Think I wanted to come do some judging? Yeah, no. So it's going to be done after work. I promise not to play any GTA.

Nobody has posted the scores yet? Well, I'll do it then.

FamousPker49
Overall Appearance - 9/10
Theme - 5/5
Creativity - 5/5
Technical - 10/10
Comments
Gilles: Those monsters are amazing. The anatomy is so well done, and so is the movement. The foreground could have been a little better, but it was still very good.
Overall - 29/30

Anachron
Overall Appearance - 7/10
Theme - 5/5
Creativity - 2/5
Technical - 5/10
Comments
Gilles: Far too much green, it all blends together. It also looks like you skimped out on the background.
Overall - 19/30

SuperCow
Overall Appearance - 3/10
Theme - 3/5
Creativity - 1/5
Technical - 2/10
Comments
Gilles: Keep practicing.
Overall - 9/30

~Void~
Overall Appearance - 10/10
Theme - 5/5
Creativity - 5/5
Technical - 9/10
Comments
Gilles: Awesome terrain, but the guys arms could use work. Arch spam was there, but it looked good so I didn't dock for it.
Overall - 29/30

\Naze
Overall Appearance - 8/10
Theme - 4/5
Creativity - 5/5
Technical - 8/10
Comments
Gilles: The hand was ingenious, but I think you could have executed better. And those are some huge ass trees!
Overall - 25/30

Mr.Goblin
Overall Appearance - 6/10
Theme - 4/5
Creativity - 3/5
Technical - 7/10
Comments
Gilles: Can barely see the infernal, and there is far too much green.
Overall - 20/30

raid1000
Overall Appearance - 8/10
Theme - 5/5
Creativity - 4/5
Technical - 10/10
Comments
Gilles: I felt that on a technical level, this was superb; but the colors just didn't seem to come together for the right atmosphere.
Overall - 27/30

woxx
Theme - 4/5
Creativity - 3/5
Technical - 6/10
Comments
Gilles: Ugly trees, bad shrub spam, overly yellow and thick light, and some of your arches aren't even aligned. Keep practicing.
Overall - 19/30

lnfernal
Theme - 5/5
Creativity - 3/5
Technical - 9/10
Comments
Gilles: I was really disappointed with this. The hall is so amazing, but the area around it just killed it. I realize you wanted to keep the area plain, but it still could have been much better, or you could have added gardens around it.
Overall - 23/30

Sabertooth
Theme - 3/5
Creativity - 2/5
Technical - 7/10
Comments
Gilles: I would have liked to see you do better Saber.
Overall - 19/30

KKRP
Theme - 4/5
Creativity - 3/5
Technical - 5/10
Comments
Gilles: Really poor camera angle. Never use ones so close to the ground, wc3 tiles are really ugly. ;)
Overall - 18/30

Theme - 0/5
Creativity - 2/5
Technical - 5/10
Comments
Gilles: Not sure why I didn't just disqualify this. I really should have since it's not a construction.
Overall - 13/30

ribenemania
Theme - 4/5
Creativity - 4/5
Technical - 6/10
Comments
Gilles: I like him. : ) Except why is his one leg stick out, and the other doesn't? It looks odd.
Overall - 21/30

Oziris
Theme - 3/5
Creativity - 2/5
Technical - 5/10
Comments
Gilles: What's with the horrid mountains? Other than that it would have been decent.
Overall - 16/30

redscores
Theme - 3/5
Creativity - 3/5
Technical - 6/10
Comments
Gilles: I think you rushed it red. The tile variation is poor, and the background is too. The building isn't bad though.
Overall - 19/30

First off, I'd like to say congratulations to everyone who entered, as all gave their best and produced good work. And holy shit at the number of entries!

FamousPker49:
Overall Appearance 8/10: It's a pretty good picture, the background is obviously way better than the foreground - which caught my attention a bit, as it's not too great.
Theme 5/5: Obvious what's constructed - there's quite a lot of it. I loved the big bad monsters.
Creativity 3/5: Well - it's a big battle between the monsters of the world in a ruined city. The monsters are original, your trees are too (yeah), but the idea is a little old.
Technique 9/10: The only thing that kept you from the 10 is the foreground. It's repetitive - shrub spam, a lot of it. Sure, you added some flowers and shrooms here and there, but there's the shrubs sitting on the trees (I know, they're trees). Also, the Ashen Grass -> Ashen Dirt overgoes are huge no-no's.
Comment: You did really well. I liked the picture a lot, and keep going with monsters ;).
OVERALL: 25/30

Anachron:
Overall Appearance 6/10: Green. Sun rays. That's the first thing that caught my eye. Since when does that happen? The parts of sky at the edge didn't help either, but it's alright otherwise.
Theme 4/5: It's pretty obvious where the construction is, there's quite a bit of it and it looks just fine.
Creativity 3/5: Ehh... it's a naga ruin in a forest, that's what kept it from going too low. It needs +originality.
Technique 7/10: Nice job using the elevator platforms, dodging the actual tile variation monster :)! Your technique is good, but has some flaws, like the tree gaps at front and in between the forests as well as the sky gaps.
Comment: You did quite well, but the flaws are there. Keep going though!
OVERALL: 20/30

SuperCow:
Overall Appearance 5/10: At first glance, a pile of rocks with sargeras' eye in them. Then, a city. Then - hey, it's a rock dragon! Everything is pretty blank, you can see the end of the world and there isn't much life in it.
Theme 4/5: The construction is obviously there and there's some of it, but not THAT much.
Creativity 4/5: It's a dragon made of rock destroying a city. Not too creative, but the fact the dragon's made of rock gave you some extra score.
Technique 4/10: Your technique isn't great. End of the world, rock spam, pillar spam, it's very empty and I can see a purple cube, in a burning area of grass.
Comment: Well, it's not great, but if you keep trying, you get better, remember that.
OVERALL: 17/30

~Void~:
Overall Appearance 10/10: I grudge to admit it, but the picture looks great. You didn't miss a lot of detail.
Creativity 4/5: Rock golem-burglar freeing a phoenix hanging off an arch-spam building located in a forest valley. Yep, it's creative.
Theme 5/5: Arch-spam buildings, flaming cage in a rock giant and cities in the background, we have it all!
Technique: 8/10: Arch spam = D:. But otherwise it's great, you got birds flying around, no bad tile overgoes and the Blizzy trees are looking just fine.
Comment: Yeah, it's great...
OVERALL: 27/30

\Naze:
Overall Appearance 10/10: Shit, that looks GREAT. At first glance, it looks like you used imports such as fog, trees and light. But then - it's no imports. Absolutely brilliant.
Creativity 5/5: Well, I've never seen anything like this, EVER before. Hand - made of terrain - in the forest with swamp trees / atmosphere around it. It's very, very, very creative.
Theme 4/5: You've got the construction of the hand, but then that's not too much - also, it's not made of doodads... :p
Technique 10/10: Your technique is flawless. Every bit is perfectly planned and executed, from the tiny deers up front, the large, flat and green rocks throughout the 'valley' to the roots at the back. The light rays add to that even more. Great job.
OVERALL: 29/30
Comment: Clever, clever terrain. Construction made of tiles, not being walls - that's a first. I loved it.

Mr.Goblin:
Overall Appearance 8/10: Very good. It's the REAL Burning Legion home, I mean, it's green and flamey. But then, there's the flaws too - destroyed tower, fog-sky overgo.
Creativity 4/5: Has anyone made something like this? It's great and original. The structure of the infernal is very creative, with spikes and rocks. Nice.
Theme 4/5: Well, there's the infernal. It's basically all you got. It looks great, by the way.
Technique 8/10: Your construction technique is GREAT. However, the environment isn't so great, it could definitely use some spicing up, but I did like the green environment, instead of red.
Comment: I love the infernal, absolutely love. Also, it looks like a Campaign screen - for the Burning Legion. :D
OVERALL: 24/30

raid1000:
Overall Appearance 9/10: Woah, it's a city - wait, two cities! And a starry sky, and environment! But then, the mountains - the flaws start showing.
Creativity 4/5: Nice and creative - cities with lights, good landscape etc.. However, then, similar ones have been done before.
Theme 5/5: There's construction everywhere - really nice construction too.
Technique 8/10: Your technique's good, but flaws happen - for example the mountains. But otherwise, the tiles for example, everything looks great. Just watch those little things.
Comment: Really nice, cities with light and a starry sky. I like it.
OVERALL: 26/30

woxx:
Overall Apperance 5/10: The temple looks cool, but there's some screw up in the sky box, black fog and shrub spam outside. Also, it's a bit repetitive.
Creativity 3/5: Forest temple. It's been done before, but this one's a bit different. It's quite creative.
Theme 5/5: I can see the construction very well. It's a huge temple ;).
Technique 6/10: Your technique isn't that great - shrub spam, no tile variation, but those platforms are cool. Also, the trees aren't very foresty, and then there's the sky flaw and a weird light green highlighter thing.
Comment: Practice, and you'll get a lot better, trust me, I know ;).
OVERALL: 19/30

lnfernal:
Overall Apperance 5/10: The grass to the sides is repetitive and not very pretty, but the palace looks cool, definitely. I think it could be a bit less empty.
Creativity 3/5: Left sky palace, cool, but not that creative - you got the theme right, though.
Theme 5/5: Clearly, there's a lot of construction. That palace is nice :).
Technique 6/10: Your technique has quite a few flaws. For example, your grass is the same everywhere, the trees look a bit strange. But the palace was done quite flawlessly, except for the 2D-ness.
Comment: I liked it, but it's just a bit lacking..
OVERALL: 19/30

Sabertooth:
Overall Apperance 8/10: That looks pretty cool. Though the rock circle, followed by the tree circle doesn't look so cool.
Creativity 4/5: Pretty creative. Your paladin adds to the feel, with the hammer on his shoulder, as if after a long, long journey to "the pilgrimage spot". Good job with the pillars.
Theme 4/5: The fountain is your only construction, but it is quite a bit. Good job on it, by the way.
Technique 7/10: Technique is good. The yellow fog looks right (which it often isn't), the shrub spam added with some flowers doesn't look too good, but it's alright ... the trees sort of kill it. The angle in the background ... yeah.
Comment: I liked it, but you still had quite a few flaws.
OVERALL: 23/30

KKRP:
Overall Appearance 5/10: Eh, it's orange grass, green grass, a lack of fog and a crowd of people. Not too great, but not horrid.
Creativity 3/5: Well, it's a harvest festival with a strange strawman standing around.. it's creative enough.
Theme 3/5: Not too much construction, other than a bulky as strawman, he looks quite cool by the way - but he has no head!
Technique 6/10: Ehh, the tile variation lacks, there's no fog, the trees look horrid and the man looks fat. It has its positives too...
Comment: I liked the strawman, but the rest isn't that good...
OVERALL: 17/30

Scyth-Master:
Overall Appearance 5/10: I liked your eye better.. this isn't very cool. I can see the end of the world, twice, pixeltated rocks/tiles and Blizzard trees in their all glorious badness.
Creativity 2/5: Convoy ftw..? I know they're blood elves carrying resources, but that's not exactly creative, nor are you anywhere, except for that chest-thing.
Theme 1/5: The only constructions are that chest in the background and the observatory. Otherwise, none. It's not about things that say construction, it's about making things with doodads or terrain. Which you didn't.
Technique 5/10: There's no fog, end of the world and obviously not very much effort in it. It's definitely not your best, you could've done better. But I do like the tile variation and the way the wagons are placed.
Comment: This isn't very good, you could've done a lot better...
OVERALL: 13/30

Ribenamania:
Overall Appearance 6/10: It's the only desert, and I love cacti, but the whole thing could've been done better, for example, smoother hills.
Creativity 4/5: It's a cactus man in the desert - tell me where one sees that. Quite creative.
Theme 4/5: I see the creation clearly, there's quite a bit of it, cactus man and the town.
Technique 6/10: Deserts are hard to make, I know that, and you did it well. But sharp hills and how the man was made kept it down..
Comment: I liked it, but yeah, it could use some work.
OVERALL: 20/30

Oziris:
Overall Appearance 5/10: Blank hills. Arch abuse. Blank foreground. Keywords say it.
Creativity 2/5: Beach, with ruins obelisks as a fence/wall. You were a bit creative with the use of the arches and how you placed them, as well as the statue on top.
Theme 4/5: Yeah, there's construction alright, but there could be quite a bit more...
Technique 5/10: Arch abuse, obelisk spam and blank hills. Not too great, as well as a blank foreground. Could use a lot of work.
Comment: Your older one was better IMO. Interesting with obelisks though.
OVERALL: 16/30

redscores:
Overall Appearance 6/10: It's not greatly appealing, but it does have potential, just, it's missing... something.
Creativity 4/5: You were creative in how you used the arches and different doodads, also, the construction is pretty creative itself.
Theme 5/5: Need I say a lot? There's a cool temple in there and it looks pretty legible to me, to be honest. Lots of it there, definitely.
Technique 7/10: Nice use of the blizzy-cliffs and good placing of rocks on the hills, as well as a good use of the palm trees.
Comment: Lucky last, I loved the temple!
OVERALL: 22/30

(Gilles' Score + Belgarath's Score)*(5/3) + (votes/total votes) = (score)/200

FamousPker49
(29 + 25)*(5/3) + (37/102)*100 = 126.27451

Anachron
(19 + 20)*(5/3) + (1/102)*100 = 65.9803922

SuperCow
(9 + 17)*(5/3) + (1/102)*100 = 44.3137255

~Void~
(29 + 27)*(5/3) + (32/102)*100 = 124.705882

\Naze
(25 + 29)*(5/3) + (4/102)*100 = 93.9215686

Mr.Goblin
(20 + 24)*(5/3) + (9/102)*100 = 82.1568627

raid1000
(27 + 26)*(5/3) + (10/102)*100 = 98.1372549

woxx
(19 + 19)*(5/3) + (1/102)*100 = 64.3137255

Infernal
(23 + 19)*(5/3) + (1/102)*100 = 70.9803922

Sabertooth
(19 + 23)*(5/3) + (2/102)*100 = 71.9607843

KKRP
(18 + 17)*(5/3) + (1/102)*100 = 59.3137255

Scyth-Master
(13 + 13)*(5/3) + (1/102)*100 = 44.3137255

Ribenamania
(21 + 20)*(5/3) + (2/102)*100 = 70.2941176

Oziris
(16 + 16)*(5/3) + (0/102)*100 = 53.3333333

redscores
(19 + 22)*(5/3) + (0/102)*100 = 68.3333333

And the winners are...

1st - FamousPker49
2nd - ~Void~
3rd - raid1000

I'd like to thank Pyritie for calculating up the scores, and Belgarath and Gilles for judging and hosting.

Level 34
I was just about to post them... I was also going to crop off all that math (did you check it for errors?).

Anyways, congrats to the winners, and I'll try and get someone on the icon right away. No shitty icon this time!

Status
Not open for further replies.