• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terrain Contest #4 POLL

Who made the best submission?

• [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/874236-post179.html"]Oziris' Submission[/URL]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/842006-post97.html"]redscores' Submission[/URL]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Hive Workshop

Terrain Contest #4 Poll

Welcome to the poll for the latest Terrain Contest. Please read through the rules before voting!
  • Each user can only vote once in the poll.
  • You cannot vote for yourself. If a voter has the same IP as the author then the vote will not be counted and it may result in the disqualification of the entry.
  • You cannot create multiple accounts to vote for an entry in the poll. If a voter has been found to be using multiple accounts none of the voters votes will count in the final result.
Contest Prizes And Winnings
  • First Place: 30 reputation points and a special award icon
  • Second Place: 20 reputation points
  • Third Place: 10 reputation points

Last edited:
It's my turn to give critique.

FamousPker49: I like the big bad monsters, but the landscape around that could use some work.

~Void~: I like the environment, but the big bad monster could use some work.

/Naze: I liked the fog, the tree, and the background very much. But the mid-ground seemed a little "wtf?" to me.

Mr.Goblin: Everything looks spectacular! The infernal is just a tad hard to see. Nonetheless, you get my vote.

raid1000: Outstanding work right there. Though the gravitational pull on those christmas lights (?) seems to be a bit off. Also, the far away city is so close to the big one close to the camera, yet it's so much smaller.

infernal: The foreground lacks.

Sabertooth: Really simple and lacks "variation". Though I do enjoy the fog and the general appearance of the fountain.

Scyth-Master: I don't see any construction.

Ribenamania: The cactus-man looks too flat.

redscores: The foregroudn is extremely empty.

Level 21
Remember the theme was "Using doodads, form a structure, monument, or something that would not naturally occur without the intervention of man/magic/intelligent beings."
Can / am I allowed to vote now, give short criteria, since I'm a judge?
And also, when does the poll finish?

Oh and, you missed a 0 on raid1000's name in the first post.

man.. SO HARD to choose.. like void is somehow epic cause of the fealling it brings.. and Famous cause he represented Void's creation being raped by a demon ... lol so hard ><

also raid was somewhat AWSOME but pretty messy.. >< arf... i guess will vote for SuperCow cause its by trying again and again that you will become as good as void :D

Uh, i said i gave up terraining constructions. U diden't had to put me there, i am only going to emberes my self.

FamousPker49's Submission-I had a great lol after i saw your monster killing voids. A great way to expres your anger on him. U did the fight really good!
or
Mr.Goblin's Submission-The infernal rules and i love the theme

hmmmm....

Becouse FamousPker49's Submission is more funny i am going to vote for him.

Level 8
Actually my name is Lnfernal not infernal.

Why do Famous and Void have the same type of golem? Anyway, I'm going to vote for either of thoose.

Edit: Ah, so Famous just made the golem to own Void? Oh well, I'm going to vote for Void. The building was pretty boring, but the golem was a great touch.

Level 14
I think that Mr.Goblin and Void had the best ones
then raid1000 and famous

but Void got my vote since there's a part in Mr.Goblin's submission had something between the mountains that kinda bugged me
anywayz great work all of you!

Level 17
Well there were 2 submissions that really stood out from the rest of them.
FamousPker49 and ~Void~, the other submissions were either to simple or were not original at all.
As for the infernal made by Mr. Goblin, I just don't like the way the infernal turned out, you should have kept the ancient.

Ofcourse there were some other good submissions, but they were rather poor because of the arch abuse or they just were.. bad. (I really don't like people using arches, they are so overused...)

The only reason why I like ~Void~'s submission is because of his golem.
But because he also 'abused' arches, Famous will get my vote.
~Void~ gains my second place because his submission made Famous' submission better and I just like that golem.
Third place should go to Mr Goblin for his epic (yet a bit failed in my opinion) infernal.

Congratz FamousPker49

Level 18

FamousPker49 : WTFAWESOME

Anachron : The light rays are too much, the fog is way too green. The structure is there, but it is mostly just a floor and stairs. Not really sure of the theme you had for this one.

SuperCow : Erm.... Well, the construction aspect was really lacking here. You formed a dragon? But you didn't make it look real because it's obvious that you used a bunch or rocks to make him.... The forest is just spam, which is bad because it is in a lot of the view. The city is lacking 'clutter' and overall it's lifeless. Those orc things don't fit at all.

~Void~ : Your terrain is good, can't really see any problems as far as that's concerned. The forest looks kind of like a spam along with the city but it's not all that noticeable. Your buildings up front have very good construction. The ruined columns almost seem weird but they kind of fade into the terrain. The monster though you can tell he is 'chunky' along with the messed up lighting on his face (closest part to the flame is the darkest). Although it does seem like the monster is just pasted onto your terrain, overall good job.

/Naze : It definitely has a great swampy atmosphere, but overall it seems very empty. I think it'd have been cooler if you had the hand opened holding a forest instead. But it just seems weird to me how you used the tiles. The hand should also be the 'tallest' in the middle behind the fingers if you know what I mean. Environment is so-so.

Mr.Goblin
: Your terrain looks alright at a quick glance. But upon a very light inspection, there are all sorts of issues. Your background is just pointy rock spam. The Dalaran tower you put on the floating rock sticks out a lot from your green theme, and just doesn’t make sense. The foreground is also quite unsatisfactory. There are floating rocks abundant, and what you did just didn’t quite fit. Your infernal was a great idea, but it’s not done as well as your ancient protector. The angle you placed him at gives a horrible view, and it’s very hard to tell he is even an infernal. The head looks like it’s in his chest and the ‘thigh’ part of the legs appear to be 180 degrees of each other. You can also see the bottom edge of the rock for the front most leg. IMO overall it just seems messy.

Raid1000
: Well, your idea was an interesting one, and the execution was quite good. Although for some reason it just seems cluttered. You really jammed a lot of stuff in here, your environment is quite well and full, but I think you faded into the background all too suddenly. The issue is, you wanted your city to look farther back, but you made it too close and it sort of confuses the eye. The main problem is because the tiles are used as a reference for size and your doodads are scaled down for that ‘zoomed out’ look but the tiles are only a little smaller.

Woxx
: There are several problems with this terrain, first of which is it is just flat. There is some height variation, but it almost seems uniform. Now I understand that the forests and shrubbery would be trimmed, but they would not grow so uniformly even while being attended. There are a lot of technical errors too, for example there are some shrubs within the walls, and the water fountains are shooting through the columns. Your buildings aren’t constructed very well, as the archers are overlapping in some areas, and are different sized in others. I hate to say this, but look at ~Void~’s he really accomplished that well.

Lfernal : This terrain is just too simple for my liking. It definitely yelled TAJ MAHAL at me when I looked at it. On the contrary to ~Void~ though I do not think you are the master on construction here. You are quite good, but there are quite a few flaws that could have been covered up to make it that much better. I really think you could have made the main dome so much smoother than you did, and centered it better. The archways on the second level of the building don’t look right because they are floating. I would’ve recommended putting a horizontal column or something of the sorts. The front-most archway could have been better covered up with those columns, but instead you left them with holes rather than following more closely with the arch. Also, no background which is really a downer.

Sabertooth : Well, the centerpiece of your terrain isn’t so bad, but as we’ve already discussed this terrain is just too spammy. I like the idea of the environment circling around this fountain, but not so uniformly circled… On total, it looks like you used 10 different doodads only, but it is much more evident in this terrain due to the enormous spam of it. Not a bad idea, but you could’ve done better.

KKRP : Well, the straw man doesn’t really look like a man at all… The camera angle you chose didn’t really seem appropriate, and it was too close to the ground. Also, your overall environment looks too much like summer rather than the autumn harvest you had as a theme. Overall, it’s lacking a lot in environment and background.

Scyth-Master
: What a clever little twist you had on the theme, but no. Just no. Trees were spammed background was forgotten, and there was no actual construction to this.

Ribenemania : I won’t lie, your background is quite good, except for the sides of it, if you would have extended your city it would have been quite great. But well, I understand it’s the desert so lack of doodads isn’t that big of a problem, it seems quite full for a desert in my opinion. But your cactus man seems way too 2-D. Not only that, but all the cacti are upright making it seem more fake to me. It did make me laugh a little, so that’s a plus.

Oziris
: Your foreground is done quite well, the environment make a lot of sense to me. But your background is lacking way too much, which you made really evident with the raised hills. This would have been so much better if you expanded the stuff behind the walls into a ruined temple, because right now it seems way too empty. Your construction had a few errors, and was quite simple. And do I see the player 1 starting position to the right above that pool?

Redscores
: Very simple, but you could’ve done a lot more with the temple. Your temple would have looked better if you had the front and back symmetrical because right now it seems very empty. Your terrain has a great feel to it, but it is lifeless. You could’ve done a lot more with this terrain, but I know you rushed it. The background is decent but lacking. A median terrain as far as quality goes.

1200 words of critique. D; I am still undecided who to vote for. Don't be offended, just improve.

Level 13
Void and famous are the best.

And Void is better than famous. The wings and chest are ugly on famous terrain, but voids has not points that i dont like, its nice terrain with nice structure and the golem is cool too.. So i vote for void.

Level 36
I voted for raid100. I think his submission is really getting underappreciated, because even though it doesn't have the "epic" feel of some of the leading ones, it's VERY well executed.

Better than anything I could do with arches.

Anyways, the reason I didn't vote for Goblin's terrain (my second choice) is because the infernal looks awkward... his expression looks like he is totally wasted on sedatives.

FamousPker, well I like the monster, but I hate the fog and the trees are still not that great, along with the rest of the environment. I also think the wings are in a retarded ancient Egyptian pyramid drawing-like pose, and I'm pretty sure you weren't going for that. They should be like this (where the x is the monster's head/neck)

\x/

instead of this:

x/_

I voted pker. the monsters are just pwn... I wanted to vote for void, but I think it was pker's idea to make a doodad monter.

Actually, it was Tassadoom's, about a year ago ;)

Level 36
But not to the side. If you take into perspective... well, those red lines are on his chest (either that or he has a really fat side), which means, according to the scaling and position of the wings that they are both on his left side, so he has 2 left wings and nothing on the right...

Level 36
This is why I'm right. It's simple anatomy. The wing on the demon's right shouldn't pass the vertical.

sob7u9.jpg

Level 25
Out of all these awesome terrains - god, this was a hard decision - I got stuck between ~Void~ and FamousPker's terrain. However, in the end, I chose FamousPker's terrain because it just seemed more awesome how there were two elemental giants fighting and one was being grabbed by the neck, which was new to me. So, I voted for his work. It's simply awesome. Great job goes to everyone though!

~Craka_J

Level 36
Well first of all his left wing looks like it's coming out from behind his ribcage when it should be coming out from his shoulderblade, and the other one looks like it's coming out of the middle of his back. Wings are connected to the arms via the shoulderblade, and when you put your arm in the position that the demon has in your terrain, the wing would go up and away from your head, rather than going behind it. The wing needs like a 70-90 degree rotation ccw.

k void stop it now.. like we can get on yours too if you want.. like

your giant is made out of rock so its REALLY heavy so why isn't he crashing the roof of the tower etc...etc..etc..blablablablbalbalbla

what i'm trying to say is ... ITS ONLY A FREACKING FRIENDLY COMPETITION SO DUDE!! WHO CARES ABOUT THE WINGS??? well only you actualy

<3

Level 21
Hell, since when do people NOT have wings on their back? It happens a lot, in between the shoulder blades, makes the wings go BACK, while they're not being used to fly.
There's just different ways of looking at the wings, the ones that go to the sides and the ones that go back. One thing is bad about the wings though. They have no surface area :D

Edit: After seeing Goblin's post.. I second him. If you take the crap out of people's terrains, we can take the crap out of yours if you want... lay off a bit.

Level 34
Thanks for getting this thing up Hawkwing. <3

Good luck guys, and myself and Belgarath will get to the judging. Hopefully I'll have it done before the poll is over and as soon as it closes, you'll get your winners!

Level 11
I voted for \Naze. I found his both original and a quality terrain. Void would be my second choice, and would've been first had he not added the monster. As for Pk, probably one of my least favorites. Yes, the monsters are epicly well done and original, but the overall terrain is just terrible. No disrespect Pk, but you could've done much better. =)

Level 21
View Poll Results: Who made the best submission?
FamousPker49's Submission 17 32.08%
Anachron's Submission 0 0%
SuperCow's Submission 1 1.89%
~Void~'s Submission 16 30.19%
/Naze's Submission 2 3.77%
Mr.Goblin's Submission 8 15.09%
raid100's Submission 4 7.55%
woxx's Submission 1 1.89%
infernal's Submission 1 1.89%
Sabertooth's Submission 1 1.89%
KKRP's Submission 0 0%
Scyth-Master's Submission 1 1.89%