• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Race Building Contest #3 Poll

Which three races are the best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 35
Erm. If you're worried about judge "corruption" then obviously you aren't choosing the right judges :p

Indeed

I still say that there is nothing else to do then wait for Chrome's responds as his the "host" of this contest and thereby the selector of the judges (maybe based on the already given suggestions.)

So as I said before, nothing else to do then wait for him.

Level 35
@Pyritie: It's not so much judge corruption so much as I think that it's really a load of bs. That is my opinion, others are entitled to their own, but I for one will not enter another contest ever again. It has only become too obvious that the true way to win these contests is to contribute something completely unrelated to what the actual contest is about.

Level 35
well, he originally planned 100% poll, so he just gave us a choice to have judges or not. if we do, we pick em, he approves em. power to the people.

The concept of him finding the judges, based on our proposals was how I saw it.. and would make more sense as Pyritie mentioned.

Still patiently waits i my own Goo or was it room?

Level 22
If you guys want official judges for this contest go ahead and petition people to be judges for it, just make sure they have a decent knowledge in modding and are willing to write a good in-depth review on every race, and then I can split the winner between 50% of the poll and 50% judges.

we find em, he approves em. he can reject if he wants. but we bring up the to-be judges, he finds them worthy or not, and adds em up.

Level 35
But Gyrosphinx, you haven't explained why you chose Mr. Goblin's race over Ghost765's. What did Mr. Goblin's race offer that Ghost765 didn't? It's all well and good you played through all the races, but I don't see what Mr. Goblin's race offered other than custom skins and icons, which shouldn't influence too heavily on the final vote. So what was so appealing about his race over Ghost's? I'm just curious :/

Level 35
Tested the last ones today, it came down between Mr.Goblin's tuskarr and Ghost765's Imperial Regiment, I voted for Mr.Goblin as I didn't notice I could vote for several contestants.

A shame that you didn't notice - Although it says you can. Then you could have voted for both :wink:

But yea as Wazz said, a comment on "why" would be nice.

Level 38
That kinda goes against the whole point of hosting a contest then :p

Touche'.

Considering I'm hosting this contest and the current disorganization of the voting I'll judge the submissions as well, just don't expect anything to soon - 18 submissions is a lot to go through, and I still have to judge the submissions for the texturing contest I hosted.

Level 35
Touche'.

Considering I'm hosting this contest and the current disorganization of the voting I'll judge the submissions as well, just don't expect anything to soon - 18 submissions is a lot to go through, and I still have to judge the submissions for the texturing contest I hosted.

Great - And thanks for doing it :thumbs_up: Getting someone to help you could make it easier.

Level 35
Well, at least someone's play testing the races thoroughly before making a decision. Isn't it coincidental how the 3 people with the highest votes are the people who either made custom textures for their race or screwed all the rules and used a custom UI? Pfft, public polls is guranteed to have many votes from people who don't even play through all the races properly or judge it according to the rules... gay... real gay...

An altered melee map will be too hard to make. Because our races share something(Blight for example) with each other. But in a campaign, we can merge two races(Fire race and hell race) or say that one of them is corrupted. And it doesn't matter if they don't come from the same time and place. A good story can solve this problem very well.

Level 19
When I vote for races, I go for the overall Feel of the race. I'm mostly looking for a connected race that really goes with its theme and contains a certain feel to it. It's kinda hard to exclaim properly, but thats the best I could manage. The difference between the two races I was chosing between in the end was really slim, but I thought mr.Goblin's race had a deeper and better feel to it, but only marginally.

Level 16
I know I promised a review by last week, but hey, better late than never :) So here is my review for what its worth.

14/15

Concept [8/8]

The ideas and concept for your race rendered me utterly breathless. The ideas behind the Tower of Insolence, the Gate of Rimhok, Transfigurations, and the Eye of Rimhok (Yay! Permanently iseedeadpeople!) were absolutely stunning in terms of concepting for a ghost-like race. Making the ghosts invisible made sense too. All these ideas that you have, made other people who also made ghost races *ahem* feel ashamed of themselves.

Design & Theme [4/5]

I can hardly find any fault in the way you represented your race. Buildings looked partially transparent and were all tinted green to give a collective look, the ghost models (inlcuding the transfiguration 'alter ego') looked appropriate too. I also noticed how small your ghosts were, and their lack of shadow is a nice touch.

Game play & Balance [3.5/5]

With the interesting concepts being brought in, this race is always going to have a moderately high learning curve at the beginning. Throughout my first try, I'm delighted to find new synergy and special systems at every turn.

It is cool how you relate your ghost race with cool ghost-like abilities. The Gate of Rimhok for example, turns invisible ghosts who pass through into visible ghosts that are stronger, and vice versa, very nice. The Wraith's instant travelling, and ghosts transfigurating into other types of ghosts, are just a few of those things I think made your race stand out.

But more often than not, cool ideas don't translate into smooth gameplay. Thus you would need more testing to iron out your ideas. For instance, while the Wraith's instant travelling and freezing enemies at the same time is feasable, an AoE freeze for 13 seconds is not. And since the skill itself lasts 14 seconds, it is possible freeze the enemy hero for up to 27 seconds. And I can easily train multiple Wraiths (the horror!). The Gate of Rimhok I think, also hasn't really fulfilled its potential. With such a cool Invisible <-> Visible mechanic, you could make it more worthwhile for a ghost to be visible. The current bonus of 4 damage and 100+ hp is too measly; try 350+ hp. Otherwise, I'd always pick the permanent invisiblity skill to a minor attack and hp bonus any day, resulting in this mechanic being rarely (or never) used.

Another glaring thing is how much the strategy focus around the hero. Without the hero, the ghosts can hardly take care of themselves. Plus, all in all the strategy is the same one - gather the ghosts around the hero and just attack your way through any obstacle, it gets really unchallenging after awhile. You have no tankers, siege, or air units to try a different tactic with.

The Hero - One of the most unique set of hero skills in the contest so far. The skills made the hero a very potent force to be reckoned with. But it also comes to the point of the skills offering too much protection for him. Of the three basic skills, one heals the hero, one heals the hero and his army, and the third one replenishes the hero's mana. A rapidly self-regenerating and self-sufficient hero imho, isn't a good design in a strategy game.

Another thing I wasn't really fond of was the potentness of Enchant the Spirit. Once the hero gets to level 3 and have learnt 2 levels in Enchant the Spirit, he becomes really overpowered. Its like a powerful version of Vampiric Aura, healing 100% of damage dealt, including my ranged units. And when I get level 3 of Enchant the Spirit, I'm set for the game. Every hit the hero makes heals 80+ hit points to everyone; imagine if your army meets another army where every unit heals 80+ hit points every instant, you'd be toast. When I'm familiar with this tactic, my casualty count remained 0 for every susbsequent game I play, as long as I keep my hero alive and hitting.

Favorite unit - Wraith, of course!
Least favorite unit - Death throne (First reason, for a 4-food unit, it deals remarkably weak siege damage. Second reason, the lack of invisiblity doesn't complement the strategy. The Death throne in fact highlights some main weakness of your race - the idea is there, but the usefulness isn't there.)

What I like
[+] Good & realistic concept. Many new stuffs to try out for the first timer.
[+] Permanent invisibility for the whole army, kinda cool to play.
[+] Buildings and effects had a ghostly feel.
[+] If I'm ever in the mood to play 1 vs 3, I'll pick this race \o/

What I dislike
[-] Hero skills overpowered, making the game unchallenging at times.
[-] Same old strategy. Add 1-2 additional units perhaps?
[-] Error: Your hero skill 'Drag me to the Underworld' has a requirement - BirthAnimaRotation. And your worker can build a footman unit. Onced built, only then can the hero cast his ultimate skill. Tsk tsk.
[-] Broken one rule - dateline.

12.5/15

Concept [5.5/8]

This is a fresh concept of how you train units, where they have a stock limit & replenish time and are trained instantly, just like how you buy units from mercenary camps. Another interesting take is how the race borrows heavily from other modern warfare strategy games, with tanks, choppers and gunners, and functions likewise. I also like your 'Escalate into.. priority" upgrade style, which functions like a tier 2 & 3 townhall requirement without breaking the 1-tier townhall rule (Why didn't I thought of this -.-).

Design & Theme [4/5]

I've no complaints about your choices for modern-style buildings and warfare units, they fit the theme well enough. A modern warfare theme is always something to look forward to, and I'd say you did a good effort in pulling off the 'feel'. I have however, an issue with the huge divide in technology between units. With the ability to build "100mm cannons, a Purgatus Flamer, and a Psyvulcan", why would some of the units be bothered to wield swords and bows?

You have all the ideas there, but you need better effort to transfer those ideas into a proper game play mechanic. Your overall offering seemed unpolished, as if you lacked the time to test it properly. Some of your good ideas - handgunners and tempest tanks for example, became unbalanced in the game.

But all that said, I think that they were unbalanced in a fun way. Can't really say if I've found greater satisfaction than force-firing enemy heroes with huge groups of handgunners, nor have I seen in the whole game a faster and more effective way at leveling the enemy Black Citadel (2 Tempest Tanks, firing at 1500 range with 1.8s cooldown, dealing 70-120 siege + mega splash damage per salvo).

A few minus points here I'd like you to take note of. One, the roles of conscripts and swordsmen weren't differentiated enough. True, the swordsman has Raise Shield, but ultimately both their purpose are the same - to be used as a cheap supply of cannon fodder. Second point, the Aquila Tank's attack type is quite redundant as the Tempest has the same type, more range and deals more damage. Give the Aquila something the Tempest and Konig cannot provide, preferably piercing or magic. (both these points already raised by Wazzz)

Third point, units that have hero-type attacks are poorly designed imho; this type of attack should be exclusive, after all there's a reason why they're called 'hero' attacks. Forth point, so many of your units does a natural splash attack (Greatsword, all three tanks, hero), isn't that overdoing it in a way?

Overall, your attempt at intergrating a different style of warfare into the Wc3 custom game has succeeded to a certain extend. It is still unpolished, as I said, thus you will need time to test the race and balance out the overpowered parts before we can say the race is on the same level of playing field as a regular Wc3 race.

The Hero - Interesting huge large tank for a hero. The splash attack is both unbalanced and nice, too bad it hurts my own units (and if I left the hero unattended for awhile, it would probably be in red life status due to the fact its splash attacks can also harm itself. Why didn't you add 'not self' into the target group?). The hero plays a very nice role when fitted into a tank group, but is awful when fitted into an infantry group - it friendly-fires your infantry into bits.

Again, although I can get the general idea of the role you intended the hero to have, the result looked very unpolished, very rushed. Some of the poor tooltips (green icon, no info), and the choice of a generic level 1 reincarnation (the ability belonged to the campaign hero Akama, kinda unbalanced when used in a custom game) should be properly balanced, when I take into account the decent level of triggering skills you have.

Favorite unit - Handgunner
Least favorite unit - Aquila Battle Tank (If I wanted a dps tank, I'll build Tempest. The Aquila's secondary function as a ground transport is neither feasable nor useful in Wc3.)

What I like
[+] Interesting and diverse units, many of them having unique roles to play, which allows me to pick many strategy choices. High replayability.
[+] Tank power!

What I dislike
[-] Overpowered overall. I could easily win a 1 vs 2 game (maybe even 1 v 3), all in 15 minutes.
[-] Several things the AI isn't made to deal with - eg: Tempest Tanks with 1500 attack range. Due to unbalances like this, it feels as if the Imperial Regiment isn't made to be played within the warcraft RTS universe. More balancing required.
[-] Broken two rules - dateline, and edit regular race. You edited Feedback from the human spellbreaker (Yes, I go through stuff like this)

12/15

Concept [2/8]

Ah, when one thinks of kobolds, one would probably envision them to be small, fast, swarming in numbers, and have skills related to digging and the earth. I'd say you did manage to pull off some of them, plus a few more of your own ideas.

But overall it seemed to me you wanted to play safe and mantain a healthy game play balance, thus you did not experiment with any extra tactics to make your race truly memorable, concept-wise.

Design & Theme [3.5/5]

In addition to the generic blizzard kobolds, you have made good import choices of kobold-like models. And you also added in extra friends for the kobolds, like the rat, the bat, and the worm, though the mammoth model (Siege Beast) looked really out of place with your theme.

Your abilities and functions have something to do with earth as well (which is a good plus), like the Geomancer's earth-based spells, the town hall serving as a mining area, and the Burrow building's role. But its the same situation as your concepting - although most things were in line with your theme, I found that nothing really stood out.

Game play & Balance [4/5]

The race is very well balanced out. Each of the units had a specific role to play, and some of them even had dual roles, which boosted their versatility. For example I like the role played by the Siege Beast. With a high hp, cleaving attack, war stomp and howl of terror, it is quite a good tanker. Its siege type attack additonally, ensured that it isn't too powerful when attacking units, but is a great boon when attacking structures, thus the Siege Beast played the dual role of tanker and siege unit. The Geomancer too, is another well balanced unit with dual roles. I can either use their mana pool to cast buffs and earthquake spells, or I can choose to have them summon rock elementals and then use the Geomancers and their summons as my ranged support army.

Abilities too, seemed well planned out. Every unit had one or two abilities which not just made sense, but suited their roles. I definitely didn't find the abilities overdone, no were they underwhelming. In fact if someone wants to learn how to use generic blizzard units and abilities to good effect, i'll tell them to look no further than your race. Your kobold race is a near flawless example of how to achieve the desired game play effect within a race, wihout having to resort to gratuituos eye candy spells and bombastically designed units. And apart from the slightly intensive micro managing of spells for the Geomancer, overall I found micro managing within your race to be on an acceptable level too.

The Hero - I was surprised by your choice of a melee strength hero for the kobold race. Seemed to me like you felt your race needed a tough hero who could tank as opposed to a quick agility type or a spellcaster type. Fair enough.

I liked how well he excelled on the front line with his War Stomp ability, plus the aura that increases movement speed by 15% per level is a huge boost to his and the army's overall swftness. In this way he is similar in role with the Tauren Chieftain, sort of the centre point for the army. The other skills are decent, though I don't find the need to use his ultimate too often (although the worm is very strong) - I have already enough melee units.

Overall a solid hero, and he's important to his army.

Favorite unit - Geomancer. Good all-rounder when it comes to a supporting role.
Least favorite unit - Mining Mole. Actually, I do not dislike this unit, i merely think that both its actual and collision size could be reduced somewhat, so that its large size won't hinder its function as a healer unit. Plus, a kobold-sized mining mole would be cute :)

What I like
[+] Good all-round balance. There's a unit for every role, and dual role units just gave me more choices in tactics. Abilities were also planned out well.
[+] Looks great :)

What I dislike
[-] The town hall. The idea is great yes, but sadly the game play is not. Like I said to you before, the inability to earn gold while training workers is a big disadvantage early game.
[-] More kobold-style concepts would be great. Do not be afraid to experiment with radical new ideas.
[-] Broken one rule - No defensive structure. The Town Hall has a defensive mechanic, but that doesn't make it a defense structure. Note that the NE ancient buildings can attack their enemies, which makes a good defensive mechanic, but that still doesn't count them as defense structures. About the other matter of going over the limit in summoned units, I for my part, do not consider the Healing Cloud as a summoned unit. Instead you could just use a dummy unit with an attachment point, as the Healing Cloud literally functions like a dummy unit. An since dummy units do not count towards the unit limit, I am inclined to view this as not an extra summoned unit too.

11.5/15

Concept [1/8]

You put much thought and attention onto each individual unit roles and abilities, but sadly not much on the overall strategy of your race.

Design & Theme [3.5/5]

Buildings that looked primitive and some that had trees in them gave extra flavor to the forest theme. However, I found it a surprising that there were representations from various sub-races within your race - apart from trolls there were animals (Grizzly Bear, Batrider), treants (Forest Whip, Walking Tree), spirits (Spirit Form, Spirit Bear), demonic (Forest Beast), and arachnid.

Game play & Balance [3.75/5]

Game play wise, this is a very well made race. It felt like a possible Blizzard made mini race, and you seem to have a direction of where and how to develop your race. Don't overdo things and you will be fine.

There are however three places where I think could be further enhanced. Firstly, the power of your race overall seemed set a 'slightly below average'. I'm sure you had game play reasons for this, but if you would raise the overall power to 'slightly above average', it would make your race more fun to play. After all, perfect balance is nearly impossible to achieve, so making our race slightly better than the existing regular races would at least guarantee ideas to run smoothly.

Secondly, though I like your customized units' abilities, I found them too individual-oriented and lacked a functionality in the bigger picture. The Primalist's Rejuvenation Dust spell is one such example. It regrows the trees, and had the ability to spawn a summon who had minor healing powers; very nice, but ultimately it serves what purpose? Is the focus more on regrowth of trees, or summoning and healing? The hero's Naure Ward is another spell I found lacking. Its healing and damaging way too haphazard and random to be of any help at all (each time I cast it, I cannot predict whether it would heal my low hp units like I wanted it to, and to damage the enemies that I wanted to be killed first). The Grizzly's Spirit Bear too is nice, but what's the role behind this ability? I got him killed quickly as I thought it would be nice to get his alternate form, only to discover it had a short duration and exactly the same form. And the alternate form isn't even invulnerable, so how is such an ability useful?

Third point, I liked how much attention you put into crafting your units and their abilities, thus I thought you could have done better and remade the generic Batrider and Catapult into something else.

The Hero - The Shadow Prowler is a melee Intelligence hero that I find required some skill to execute his moves well. He definitely fits in as melee game hero, and his abilities allowed me to either use him as a front line attacker or support his army from the back.

Although I have no problems with the way he and his skills were designed, I would also appreciate it if you could balance him further and make him stronger than he already is.

Overall a very tricky hero to use, and first timers would probably find him too easy to be killed. One of my favorite heroes in this contest due to the level of mastery required to play.

Favorite unit - Forest Beast. I find this guy indispensable as a front line unit with his good splash damage, plus he had some weakness too like lacking air attacks and huge size, thus making it essential to mix and match him with other unit types. A well balanced design.
Least favorite unit - Troll Batrider. This generic blizzard unit stood out like a sore thumb amongst your other carefully made units with their unique abilities. Plus, I would have welcomed it better if it could attack air too.

What I like
[+] Your race had good variety and needed some practice to get use to. Units roles aren't what they initially seemed to be.

What I dislike
[-] Lacked an overall concept to complement the nicely-made unit ideas.

11/15

Concept [3/8]

As a flying race, I really expected a more unique set of ideas. Alas, there is nothing too special about your concept, apart from the obvious choice of making all your avian units able to fly, including the worker. Luckily you balanced this out by making them still targetable as ground units.

Design & Theme [3/5]

Couldn't really find fault with your units model choices, they were all harpies or bird kind. And the buildings, though not spectacular, were in line with the theme. The hero model choice however, was weird because it has a 'walking' animation instead of a 'flying' one. He 'walks' over trees and structures. Overall everything fits the theme, its just too bad nothing really stood out or became memorable enough.

Game play & Balance [3/5]

Perhaps the best word to describe your game play - UNPOLISHED! Its a real pity, seeing that you have many nice customly made abilities, and all your ideas were already in place. You could have used more testing time to score big in the game play category.

A good example is your flying speciality. This researchable skill that enables all your units to turn into real flyers (targeted as air) could potentially make a good strategy. Since the skill drains mana while flying, your decision to give each unit type a different amount of mana pool ruins it. Some units have only 50 mana compared to 300 for others, creating a huge gaps when trying to co-ordinate this speciality into a huge group. And the mana drains away too quickly, leading to 'landing' situations during very bad times. More play-testing on your part should have identified the problem. Raise the mana minimum to at least 150 for the sake of a smoother game play, otherwise it wouldn't be worthy to reasearch this skill.

I also didn't like the fact that it was difficult to group your units because while they were flyers, they still have the collision size of a ground unit, making flying in groups pretty awkward.

The Healing Breeze also, could use some polish. The area of effect is too small to be effectively used during combat; and the low amount of hp healed is makes it a weak healing spell outside of combat.

Overall, all your units functions reasonably well and have their own not-too-specific roles to play. For instance the siege unit Arakkoa Warrior, is certainly unconventional but nicely made.

[Misc Note: Your units do not need the Fear and Critical Shoot research because they already have them. One was set without techtree requirements, the other has check dependencies set to false]

The Hero - An agility hero is always difficult to make and balance, especially a melee one. If I encounter your hero in an arena or rpg game, I might like it. But over here, I did not. Your agility hero just doesn't have what it takes to either survive group fights or to be useful in a team. He is more like a spammer of offensive spells.

I also wondered is it intentional to make all the hero skills costing no mana to cast? It does enable your hero to continuosly spam his attack spells though, not quite how an agility hero should function.

Favorite unit - Arakkoa or Hippogryph, depending on tactics. Hippogryph if I focus on group fights; Arakkoa if I plan to level enemy bases quick. On a side note I do hope you will consider giving the Arakkoa more hp.
Least favorite unit - Avian Wariror. This basic melee unit is decent enough early game, but as the game progress it quickly became redundant. A slight makeover should do the trick.

What I like
[+] Everybody flies (except one), which makes for a nice tactic.
[+] Nice, unique customized abilities.

What I dislike
[-] The hero's first skill activates simultaneously as his ultimate. Bugged? Furthermore, the skills lag the game for 1-2 seconds. Very bad. As a spellmaker, you should have focused more in cleaning up the bad errors in your spells.
[-] Race has an unpolished feel. As if it was made in a rush, without adequate testing.

11/15

Concept [1/8]

There isn't much to say concept-wise, since you put a lot more focus into unit diversity and achieving a good balance.

Perhaps if you made your race special in a way that is only available to a water-based race, it would stand out much more than what it currently is.

Design & Theme [4/5]

Looked great with all the sea themed units and buildings. Also one of my favorite building attachment choices in this contest. Try not to use the same icon for the Snarecaster and Fanatic units though, there are other icon choices available.

I really liked how your race played out. Ground and air combat were both adequately covered. The siege unit had two diverse uses. I also found your race to be very tidy in terms of layout - different unit production structures train different types of units (one structure each for foot soldiers, spellcasters, & sea beasts).

One minus point: The fact that you had three spellcasters within your army isn't a bad idea at all, but when you gave all of them simple generic spells that were only useful during combat, I felt that three spellcasters were overdone. Perhaps what you can do here is to make each of their ultimate spells much more powerful (Leviathan Haste that gives more bonus and lasts longer, Mana Grip that doesn't require channeling, etc), or simply remove one of the spellcasters.

Overall the balance is good, and I find the Sea Legion race to be very playable. Balance is also good overall (though you may want to tone down the Sea Drake a bit, and tone up the Ranger). Definitely one of the better made races in terms of game play and balancing, good job :)

The Hero - I am still puzzled by how you let this one escape you, after all the detailed ideas you crafted into the rest of your race. Your Tide Hunter hero looked and felt something you added in as an afterthought, instead of making the him the main focus of your race's strategy.

Apart from its looks and its usefulness when it actually fights, I didn't like the fact that it was a melee Strength hero with 3 mage-like damaging spells. Also, since you based your hero on the Tauren Chieftain, it moved slower than the rest of your army because it retained the Tauren's 250 movement speed and 48 collision, making the hero very hard to get involved in combat (and escape).

Imho I think you need to overhaul this hero's design. The hero's Sacred Aura is sweet, but the other skills and the hero's overall attributes need more thought into them. [Misc Note: The fact that hotkeys for two of the skills were wrong, and the tooltip for the ultimate wasn't customized, spoke a lot of the lack of attention on your hero.]

Favorite unit - Tamed Hydra / Sea Drake. Tamed Hydra was a good design but would welcome more usefulness; while Sea Drake was very useful but lacked ideas. Tweak both of them a little more so that the Tamed Hydra becomes more useful in combat, and the Sea Drake becomes more interesting design-wise.
Least favorite unit - Makura Deepseer. You know why, and my reasons are still the same :)

What I like
[+] Theme is very well done. Unit and building models fits in nicely. Buildings can be built in water too, which is another plus to theme.
[+] Overall the balance is good.

What I dislike
[-] The poorly-made hero. I'm sure with your good skills, you could have done a better job.
[-] Broken one rule - dateline.

10.5/15

[Special Note: I have been play-testing Wazzz's forest troll race for the last two weeks of the contest, so this is perhaps the race I am most familiar with. And they say familiarity breeds fondness, so I'm not going to mince my words with you Wazzzie, sorry ^^]

Concept [1/8]

Your race was pretty much faithful to the normal set up, with also meant that it does not offer any concrete new strategy. However I did find your 2-builder style interesting, where one of your builder is a combat unit who builds useful supporting structures. This gave me the extra tactic choice of build-as-you-attack way of playing. Other than that there is not much else in terms of concept.

Design & Theme [3/5]

Your forest troll race had 2 other subrace within them, the goblin and hoodoo. While the hoodoo complemented the forest trolls nicely, the goblins' weapondry struck me as too high tech for the forest trolls.

It was interesting to note that, your buildings were not forest-like at all, in fact they were buildings that belonged to a civilized race. Next time, call your race something like Troll Alliances :)

Your race seemed to have almost every role covered by a unit, and I also liked the fact that try as I may, I couldn't find any unit to be overpowered.

Everything seemed to function the way you envisioned your ideas, so I couldn't really find fault with them even if I don't agree with how you wanted some of them to work out. But one thing I really didn't like is that you had too many specialized units with only one role. The units which I thought were specialists were Flak Cannon (anti-air only), Sapper (suiciding only), and the 3 mages - Seer, Shadow Priest and Wind Daughter (supporting roles only). That leaves me only the Marauder, Axethrower, Bear Rider and the base-bombing Airship to build my team around with. This sort of thing always left me playing the same strategy over and over, which wasn't fun.

The end word - everything toed the line, but nothing really stood out. You seemed to focus too much on each individual unit, and spent too little time planning out a strategy for them to work together with.

The Hero - I'll be frank with you. I liked the Ritualist's design and style, but I didn't like his abilities, apart from Flash Dance. The hero could use more direction - shall it be more of a dancer, more to summoning his rituals, or both? At his current state, he had four decent but totally different abilities with no synergy between them. His ultimate too, struck me more as a cool factor as opposed to a practical ability.

Fortunately his game play isn't bad. With a healing, summoning and damaging skill, he functioned more as an all-rounder helper for his army rather than playing some specific role, which was rather unusual for a melee agility hero. Though he is passable at this current state, I would suggest two improvements in the future . One is to make give his healing ability to a dummy caster instead of channeling it himself, which was dangerous for a melee-type. Secondly, I always thought that since we could have only 1 hero for our race, it would be a waste to spend it on summoning more combat creatures, which we don't need anyway. A more role-specific ability would have been much better here.

Favorite unit - Airship. Its just like the typical siege unit, only flying. Many people overdid their flying siege unit, but your idea was much better balanced. Good design.
Least favorite unit - Flak Cannon. You're most probably tired of hearing me say that I didn't like this guy. With just 280 hp and a ground unit who could only attack air, he really needed more hp and a ground attack, or simply make him an air unit so he wouldn't get bullied by enemy ground units. Plus what's the point of his mana shield, other than an excuse for more micro managing and to become a target for mana burn? You could have just gave him more hp instead /:

What I like
[+] Not overpowered, in fact a little on the weak side, which I like.
[+] Despite giving you an average score for theme, I liked how you mixed the different races together. You just needed to work out on the goblin's technology angle. Some of the names sounded nice and appropriate too, like the Bivouac, Wind Daughter, and the fire-shooting Totem of Conflagration.

What I dislike
[-] Some ideas for specialized units could use more testing and balancing, like the Flak Cannon and Sapper units. They pretty much only have one very specific role to play, thus not very useful.
[-] Lacked a strategy. Everything seemed in place, so why not be more adventurous and come up with a concept? Sometimes it is frustrating (lol) for me to see that you were reluctant to make radical overhauls to your designs that needed changing. The race still seemed pretty much 98.34% similar to the first one I tested.
[-] Broken one rule - file size. Your file size would be comfortably under the limit if you had taken care of some ridiculously oversized textures.

10/15

Concept [1/8]

Perhaps the best thing you made to categorize your tuskarrs is that they move slightly slower than the regular races. Other than this, you have to come up with a other ways to categorize the tuskarrs (perhaps something to do with the ice landscape or swimming), as well as new strategies and/or systems to make the race really stand out.

Design & Theme [4.5/5]

The best looking race, hands down. All the unit and buildings models reflects the tuskarr/snow theme very well. You don't just have tuskarr, but also a dragon turtle, polar bear and a white wolf, all of them suits the snow-ish landscape where the tuskarr originated from. The icons too, fits your race in a breathtaking way.

And almost all of the abilities are related to the tribal-styled Tuskarrs. As fish eaters, many of the tuskarr units have the fishing net ability. Their magic are also spiritual related, a nice tribal-ish touch.

A solid design, where almost every unit had roles that were directly related to their creature type. Hunters had their fishing net, Giant Sea Turtle Rider can devour, Defenders moved slower, Spirit Wolf had a very spirit-like set of abilities, and the list goes on. Furthermore this is very group oriented race, where abilities were more supportive based or affects the whole army, thus it encourages more mix-and-matching among units to achieve the desired balance, an important factor to a successful race which many other contestants neglected.

I think the main drawback of your race was the glut of melee units while the ranged and flying areas lacked variety. I especially wasn't fond of the overlapping of roles between the Polar Bear and Giant Sea Turtle Rider. I get to train both at the same time, yet they both function as large defensive melee units, and had the same attack and armour type. For example if you wanted the Turtle to be your defensive unit, then make the polar bear more offensive with skills like beserk, war stomp, cleave, howl of terror etc, and not the defensive life steal.

Also, slightly more powerful abilities that could force a game changing situation would be nice. Abilities like death and decay, earthquake, or some appropriate damage dealing spells would be a welcome addition. While I lament the other races which had too many spell damage abilities, at the same time I too wished that you had at least one or two more in addition to your hero's ultimate (which only deals 70 damage). With no game changing tactics, your army must really slug through battle after battle to achieve victory.

The Hero - The Tundra Protector is a decent enough melee all rounder. Pretty much a solid set of abilities too, with individual attack & movement buff, summon creatures, passive armour, and an ultimate which deals AoE damage. Useful in combat.

But that said, it lacked a little something extra that would make it a 'Protector' for his army. Currently it functions somewhat like another melee unit, which you already have in abundance. I think it would fit him if his third skill is replaced by the your shaman's cold aura; and it would also be nice if its summoned turtles has extra abilities to complement them, instead of just attacking (otherwise they would only serve to increase the large clutter of melee units you already have).

Favorite unit - Giant Sea Turtle Rider. Interesting design & useful.
Least favorite unit - Trained Polar Bear. Pretty much a poorer version of a tanker when compared to the Giant Sea Turtle Rider. Currently doesn't have a specific role to play.

What I like
[+] I don't have to tell you that I find your race to be the best looking one in the contest, but I must say I never did expect tuskars to look this sexy.
[+] Every design was carefully made within the scope of balance, nothing that was overdone or overpowered.

What I dislike
[-] Your unit roles were mostly good, so what you lacked was a game-changing tactic to make your otherwise normal strategy work better.
[-] Broken one rule - exceeded summoned unit/ward limit.

8.5/15

Concept [2.5/8]

Your race were mostly made up of low hp ground units, but they have good damage output via their passive skills. So when I play your race, naturally the focus is on attack, and attacking in numbers. Defending isn't beneficial in the long term.

Design & Theme [2/5]

The major thing I like is how you stuck faithfully to the skeleton theme by making all your units, from the worker to the ultimate unit, skeletons/skeletal kind. The major thing I dislike is your choice of hero models to be used as normal units. And there are three such models. These choices should be avoided because they tend to leave a glow behind for a long time when the die. You could have learnt to remove the hero glow yourself, or request someone to help out, or as a last resort use the original 3 blizzard skeletons. Hero glow on units just don't fit the blizzard design.

And the abilities within your race, although individually nice they do not reflect the 'skeleton' theme at all. There were no references to skeletons, bones or skulls, the closest being the hero skill 'Master of the Dead'. But even then the corpses it raises would be catergorized more as a 'zombie' than a 'skeleton'.

Game play & Balance [2.5/5]

The first thing that struck me is that I really liked your various custom abilities. The abilities were neither overdone nor underwhelming, which is good. The micro-managing of the mage abilities were tolerable too. Most people tend to overdo the mage spells. All in all there were a decent balance in the spells, and the four mage spells adequately covered healing, offense and debuffing, all of them AoE. One thing though - I find it weird that while your Fire Skeleton Mage has tons of mana, its spells doesnt require mana to cast.

One thing I really didn't like is your ultimate unit, the Frost Dragon. It is imho, one of the worst designed units in the contest. Firstly, it is way overpowered in terms of being a flying unit with a 1200 range air-to-ground siege attack, an 800 range air-to-air chaos attack, has a frost effect on its attacks and 1200 hp to boot. Secondly, the huge difference in power between the Frost Dragon and the rest of your units makes for poor synergy between the two. Overall it is a poor unit design, overpowered in range, attack, and worst of all, it functions as an all-rounder. Never design a unit who can do everything. I would suggest you to reduce its range to 250-300 for both attacks; or if you prefer its siege role, then reduce its hp to about 300-400 and reduce its movement speed.

A few other observations - I find the Skeletal Dexterity upgrade which gives movement speed bonus to workers weird, since it is directly available at the beginning of the game. If it is only available later in the game I can understand, as it would make a difference between early game and late game resource gathering. But making it available early game neither made sense nor offered any game play difference, it merely seemed like an excuse for the player to spend more money. Plus, the resources gathering for your race already seemed fast enough with 15 gold/lumber per trip.

There are certain units which have overlapping roles. For example your race have two light melee units, and two mage units. Try to make the Brute unit more 'brutish', and try differentiating the two mages more, perhaps in terms of attack-type, a third spell, or anything else you can think of.

I noticed that your Stronghold building doesn't offer any further researches to enhance the units. Since you have so few research/upgrades (6), perhaps if you offered some reasonable upgrades here it would further enhance the game play of your race?

The Hero - I like the role the hero plays within the race. Due to the lack of tankers, the hero sometimes does the tanking (which he could do very well, thanks to Dark Void). Overall it is a well made hero, supports the rest of the army well and the range of skills he has gives him good options during different situations.

A small point of contention is the unusually fast attack speed. No other hero, even agility types, attacks this fast.

Favorite unit - Skeleton Archer. A balanced design - low hp but high damage output. I found out that if I build them in numbers and keep them alive at the back, they can be very devastating.
Least favorite unit - Frost Dragon. Simply a poor design and doesn't fit in with the rest of your units.

What I like
[+] The attack oriented concept of the race, which balances out several weakness the units had, like low hp and the lack of defensive skills.
[+] I find most of the custom abilities useful.
[+] The special effect when building a structure.

What I dislike
[-] Several duplicate unit roles, thinning the choice of tactics. Remake several of them to give them dual roles, or simply design more units.
[-] The overpowered Frost Dragon.
[-] Hero glow on units.

7.5/15

Concept [1/8]

The race didn't provide any outstanding strategies; most of the attention seemed to be spent on designing units and their capabilities. An overall concept that gives racial traits or one that forced people to play your race in a different way would have brought the race to the next level.

Design & Theme [2.5/5]

I felt your race had the most ambiguous theme in the contest. How do I go about defining the Fist of Tyranny? From the looks of your race, I would say they're like a cross between a barbarian tribe and military-like bandits.

While I couldn't offer much feedback on the theme, I could at least talk about the collective look of your race. And I think they really looked like a mish-mash band of rejects. You had human, centaur, kobold, and goblin zepelin models within your race, which is really puzzling. Next time, don't put too much focus onto each individual unit design, but rather try to achieve a more collective look, which is more important. At least your structures looked good together, as the imported models fit in well with the blizzard ones.

Game play & Balance [2.5/5]

Two things that I liked about your game play - One, you had units for different roles, giving strategy choices. Two, there seemed to be a certain style of playing them as the race thrived on speed and dealing damage. The only minor drawback of note is the Adept, which I thought had too many weak generic blizzard spells which wasn't that useful.

While the gameplay was decent, the balancing wasn't. Take your Rabble for instance. They are like the human version of the zergling, each rabble cost only 1 food, 70 gold, deals 17-18 damage, and had a training speed of 3 times faster than the worker. Seriously overpowered, just compare the human Footman with your Rabble. And your land mines tactic is a poor choice of defensive mechanism. They were not just invisible, but deal 700 damage per mine, and each defense tower can deploy up to 9 mines. The War Blimp, although the idea is good, is sadly another unbalanced design. I already consider the Naga Couatl as an above average light flyer, yet your War Blimp still bested the Couatl with more hp, damage, faster attacking speed, and an ability to fire rockets which stuns ground units in an AoE. Winning the game with your race doesn't give me the same satisfaction as playing the other races, as it was clearly impossible to lose.

Two things I'd like to suggest for you to pay more attention to. First is the balancing. I can tolerate slightly overpowered ideas, but not units which were grossly overpowered. More play testing should iron out this issue. Secondly, as you seem to have a unit for almost every role, it is time to come up with a concept on how to play your race. Offer something that is only unique to your race. Otherwise, your race would only end up on an average scale at best, despite all the attention you put into individual unit designs.

The Hero - The Overlord had a sweet model, and his role as a melee damage dealer is acceptable, but he was overdone in two ways. Firstly, this isn't an rpg game and our attention is not solely focused on the hero, so giving him skills that deals damage according to x2, x4 strength is just unwise. In a melee game we had our army to control too, and since we had to keep things simple and on a managable level, a fixed amount of damage like 40/70/100 is much better than one that fluctuates each time he gains a level. I had no idea how much damage he was doing and didn't care to find out. Secondly, all four of his skills are damage dealing types, way overdone. I would suggest you to keep a maximum of two of these, then remake one into a passive skill or aura, and the other into a more defensive oriented skill, which is good for a melee hero like him.

Favorite unit - War Blimp. This is a hard call, while I didn't like the fact that it was too powerful, I find the Rocket Pods and its mobility useful. Several suggestions for balance - one, retain its current attack for anti-air only and give it another much weaker anti-ground attack; two, reduce its hp and attacking speed; or three, make it able to target ground only and reduce its damage.
Least favorite unit - Adept. Overdone skills which weren't too useful anyway. Give him a more visible supporting role.

What I like
[+] Units and skills had variety. Unbalancing is however and issue (see below).

What I dislike
[-] Grossly overpowered units like Rabble, War Blimp, and Land Mines. Also, overdoing the skills on some units like the adept and the hero is another minus point.
[-] Green icons are bad. Yours were the only race which still had green icons, learn how to path them correctly in the future.

7.5/15

Concept [3/8]

Well, this race certainly had a few concepts going for them. One thing was the lumber collection system, which offered something new and worked reasonably well. The second thing was implementing modern warfare ideas (some hilariously ridiculous) into the game like the tank+copter merging and starcraft-like abilities that functioned like the real thing.

Design & Theme [3/5]

The modern warfare look is always hard to pull off, since it also needed to fit in with the wc3 universe. Well I'm glad you manage to get the theme right, as well as adding a few special touches, most notably the elf+mechanical look for most structures and certain units. Adding modern attachments like a gun is good too, but make sure it covers the other units as well, like your Ranger and Paramedic, who still carry a bow and staff respectively.

Game play & Balance [2/5]

I liked how adventurous you were at coming up with different unit functions and ability ideas, which were the high points of your race. But like many other submissions, it had proven that daring ideas don't usually translate into a smooth gameplay. You seem to like extremities, with 1500 attack range units, a building with 5000 mana, bombastic hero skills, and the list goes on.

Several things I would like you to focus more upon: One, don't go overboard in designing individual unit spells. Make sure they are really useful and your race needed them, instead of just being something flashy. This had a further effect of making the micro managing of your spells very bad. Two, stick to the tried and tested warcraft way of making unit roles. Apart from one light melee and ranged unit, there are no more ground combatants, apart from a siege unit and spellcasters. You put too much attention into making your air units and spellcasters look nice, while neglecting the backbone of your army. The lack of medium and heavy ground units just exposed the lack of balance within your race and limited my strategy choices.

The Hero - Way too many spells (3) that focused on dealing damage, even for an intelligence type hero. And since his other ability is a critical strike, this hero clearly had a bad concept.

Sure, he could be fun to play with, but in a contest like this it would be better for you to stick with the theme of your race. If you wanted him to have lots of damage dealings spells, at least make them have something to do with mechano elves. A few other suggestions for possible abilities - One, low hp melee heroes always had some defensive abilities (Blademaster had wind walk and mirror image, Warden had blink, Demon Hunter had evasion etc); two, intelligence type heroes don't always focus on spells that deal damage, some beneficial spells is good too; and three, in a contest the priority is more on the race than the hero, so the hero should complement the race with abilities that could affect his army in some way.

Favorite unit - Paramedic. The only healer, plus the ability to suck mana quickly is a bonus. If you could tone down the speed it absorbs mana, improve optical flare, and correct the tooltips info on replenish vitality, he would be even better.
Least favorite unit - Anti-Aircraft Infantry. A ground unit who could only attack air is simply not useful in the warcraft universe.

What I like
{+] Your creativity with the attachments. Although odd looking, but you made it work well with your theme.
[+] Starcraft-like skills. Some were good, but others still needed polishing and balancing.

What I dislike
[-] Poor balance, like overdone unit designs and the lack of medium and heavy ground units.

7/15

Concept [1/8]

It is good to see how you stuck to the naga formula of minimizing the number of structures, units, and upgrades you had, instead of creating half a dozen more poorly designed ideas like many others did. But if you're going to follow the naga example, be prepared to make your race very unique in terms of concept as well. Remember that the naga units are characterized by their swimming and submerge abilities to enhance the water-based idea behind their race, while your race had nothing to offer in this department.

Design & Theme [3.5/5]

Probably the best looking set of structures in the contest. They not only complemented each other well, but they had a 'sand effect' while being built, and can be constructed in water too, which fit the theme. The adempet units looked good as well, though they were a bit too similar to one another. A simple glow attachment to the mage staff, some effects on the Seal Warrior's sword for example, would go great lengths in telling one from the other. Couple this together with the fact that you used the same Depthlord Revenant model for three different units - heavy melee, summoned, & hero, made it really confusing to identify each unit while in the midst of a battle.

Although the race offered units of different roles, it was really boring to play as many of them lacked abilities which would define them better. I never liked seeing hero-style abilities like bash on normal units, and when two of your units had bash, it just highlighted your lack of ideas to make your game play unique. And although having a modest amount of units and upgrades is always good, over here it actually revealed your race's weakness, as the simple unit functions and unambitious upgrades that you had quickly exhausted the things to do and made the game boring.

Balance-wise, the race had a unit for almost every role (light & heavy melee, ranged, spellcaster, flyer) which is good; but when 4 out of your 7 combat units are melee types, overlapping of roles will occur. All four melee units were identical in damage-type, armour-type, had near identical attack speed (between 1.35 -1.60), and combat function (with the small exception of hydra which could change into an anti-air role). I would suggest that you keep only one of them, and redesign the other three to give them more roles. For example you lacked a siege unit, a tanker (high hp does not automatically mean tanker, ability-wise would be a better gauge), or a mobile ground, and there are many other possibilities too.

The Hero - Like your game play, the Soul Keeper hero is really bland with some poor choice of skills and the lack of role in his army. Tooltips lacked the usual information too. And what is with his names anyway? I initially thought it was cool, until I saw the rest of the names (which seemed like the result of hitting random keys on the keyboard), totally nothing in common between the names at all, which is an important factor when thinking up names.

While I'll admit he is useful to his army, simply because he is a ranged hero and your race lacked a heavy ranged guy, he still lacked many things that would define his role in a proper way. Although his skills were useful too, they could use some imporvement - like remaking the Summon Soul Warrior and Call of Souls abilities into more army affecting types to complement his aura, for example. I also thought that having Finger of Death as an ultimate is just painfully uncreative.

Favorite unit - Mage. The only really useful unit in your race. I wish you had given your other units the same attention you put into making the Mage's spells.
Least favorite unit - Soul Guard. As your ultimate unit, the idea was boring.

What I like
[+] Structures that were beautiful, and could be constructed in water. The Adempet units looked nice too.

What I dislike
[-] Overall the race was really bland; game play lacked ideas.
[-] Same models for units should be avoided.

6.5/15

Concept [1/8]

Its a pity that you haven't made a special strategy for playing the hell race, as the possibilities could be endless. Think of what comes to mind when you envision Hell, then build and implement this special system of playing the hell race.

The only system of note is the two-resource gatherer system you had. But unfortunately their functions were nothing special - one collects gold and can be sacrificed into a shade, the other collects lumber and builds structures. All of these functions were already covered by a single worker unit, so why split their functions into two seperate units while offering nothing extra? If for example, both of them can be further upgraded into different types of combat units later on, then the idea of having two-resource gatherers would sound novel. Currently it is only a waste of your unit limit.

Design & Theme [3.5/5]

I had to say again how much I like the special 'blight' you had. In fact it was this, and your choice of structures that gave your race a hellish feel. However I don't feel the same way for your units. Sure, everybody have a different interpretation of what does hell look like, but the lack of something demonic doesn't sit so well with me. In this place, you had skeletons, a dragon, a spider-like creature and a turtle. The only unit I thought looked hellish enough was the Lasher.

Let's see. While I didn't find much to complain about with each individual unit role, I wish you had put more creativity into coming up with abilities for units (and maybe structures). As it stands, the game play isn't so nice if I have to click each unit in my army and have them target enemies with their blasting spell. Your Lava Fiend, Hell Basher, and Magma Wyrm each have point-and-click spells which deals damage. A very repetitive choice in abilities.

I also noticed that you tried to implement a few ways of doing things that were out of norm, like the above mentioned two resource gatherers, the weird way of spawning skeletons, and the defense upgrade which doesn't improve armour but adds more hp. But to make your differences really count, you really must find a special use for them. Usually I would prefer 2 armour over 50 hp, so you must show the benefits of extra hp. If your race regenerate hp quickly, or has an instant healing mechanism then the idea would be nice, but you had neither, so it seemed to me that you made changes just for the sake of wanting to be different.

Overall, the hell race was playable and I would have enjoyed it a lot more if it wasn't littered with mistakes (eg: Hell Aura), lack of information (Skeleton Minion, how to get the Improve Weapon upgrade) and an ultimate unit that was so strong (90-252 damage) that I didn't bother training any other unit.

The Hero - Decent enough I think, as each ability had a fiery flavour, so it had something to do with hell. But I didn't like the fact that a melee strength hero had three spells which focused on dealing damage.

And apart from the problem with Hell Aura which I already mentioned, I also didn't like his overpowered Fire Nova. The spell summons 13 dummy units casting a shockwave-like spell that can deal up to 180 damage in every direction. Two castings of Fire Nova can wipe out the entire enemy army, seriously.

Favorite unit - Didn't really like anyone in particular. Almost every unit was decent enough in my book, it is just that I find none of the designs outstanding.
Least favorite unit - One of the worker units. Uneccessary to have two workers if things remained as they were.

What I like
[+] Nice blight and special effect when summoning structures.

What I dislike
[-] For a Hell race, it really lacked a hellish-style of game play.
[-] Choices for unit abilities were uncreative and involved unneccessary micro-managing (almost every spell was point and click). Be innovative with spell ideas, not every spell needed to be the damage dealing type /:

5/15

Concept [1/8]

There was no obvious concept for your race. If only you had spent a portion of the time you put into the design and come up with a fun strategy for your race, no doubt I would have liked it much better than it is. Things you could have considered here include - what racial traits a Fire Race has to offer; what are their natural strengths & weaknesses; and does a fire unit have a speciality? If so, what would it be?

Design & Theme [4/5]

Your Fire race looked great with the good choices of imports and the editing stuff you made. I liked how every single unit has a 'fire' theme to it, and my particular favorite is your choice of the hero - certainly looked like a fiery badass :) All the unit abilities, although generic, had something to do with fire.

Game play & Balance [1.5/5]

Your lack of experience and effort in the game play department was glaring. The only good point is that the race was balanced in terms of unit types - you have two ground melee, a ground ranged, a siege unit and a flyer. Now comes the bad part. You chose to create only 6 units, and with 1 of them a worker, it leaves us with only 5 combat units to choose from. Actually it is not a bad thing, as less is sometimes more :) But here your melee units stuck out like a sore thumb.

Your FireDragonFireBlade and SkeletonFireWarrior are direct copies of the human footman. You never bothered to change their hit points, damage, and training cost, among other things. The only difference is their one ability, the model, the name and the sound set. I can understand if you choose to retain all the attributes of one generic unit, but two of the same type? Come on, you can do better. Two units of the same type means poor balancing for the race. You could have made one of them a tanker (which you lack), or a better dps melee (which you also lack). The abilities you gave them (one of them had evasion, the other had bloodlust) aren't good choices for melee units either.

The Hero - As previously stated, I like your choice of hero model, and I would even go as far to say that its my favorite hero model of the contest. That said, the hero really lacks development. The generic abilities you chose (Permanent immolation, Shockwave, Rain of Fire, Brilliance Aura) don't do the dragon-like hero enough justice at all. The abilities looked randomly picked without criteria, and doesn't suit each other. And what role does a dragon-like hero play within his race? He doesn't seem to help his army much, neither is he a good killer, a good spellcaster (low mana pool), nor a God tanker (big bummer, he is a strength hero after all -.-). I don't know who made this model, but I think that person should give you a big kick for failing to make his model epic.

Favorite unit - Nothing really stood out, I'm sorry /:
Least favorite units - SkeletonFireWarrior. It is just a direct copy of the FireDragonFireBlade. As a later-game unit, you should have at least boosted some of the stats for the SkeletonFireWarrior.

What I like
[+] Good choices of models and imports, especially the hero model. Everything looked nice together.

What I dislike
[-] Generally poor choices of abilities, resulting in below average unit functionality.
[-] Poor tooltip information. Example: FireDragonFireBlade - "Useful foot soldier, great fighters in group." Doesn't even tell me it has the Evasion ability, not even the basic "Attacks land / air units". And there's neither ability nor attribute to make it 'great fighters in group'.
[-] No healing mechanism.
[-] Phoenix has a male bloodelf sound set. Weird.
[-] Broken one rule - edit regular race. You edited human's inner fire and orc's bloodlust spells. What you should have done is make copies of those abilities and edit from the copies instead.

3/15

Concept [1/8]

An obvious lack of concept here. You could have expended the ideas of what makes a troll special, what abilities characterize them, in what way do they fight, then implement these ideas into your game. Come up with different systems too if you think there's an idea you'd like to try with. Concepting a race is important to avoid the race looking like simple copy+paste units with different models.

Design & Theme [2.5/5]

I like how your race had troll models for each unit. Even though there were different species of trolls like forest trolls, sea trolls and a cave troll coming right out of lotr, at least they're one big happy troll family. Structure choices were mostly simple and suitable too, though I didn't really like the spear-throwing pig farm as a defensive structure, and I certainly thought that a piece of log as your food structure is beyond comprehension (your trolls eat wood, perhaps?). Too bad you didn't top it up with nice troll-like abilities, as that would improve your theme further.

Two words - Brute Force.

That sort of sums up your race. You made the maximum of 10 units, yet most of your units had no abilities to characterize them, or had very overused abilities like bash and critical strike. The only way I could differentiate one unit role from another is like 'oh, this unit had more hp', or 'that unit had more damage'. This lack of variety makes for pathetic game play. Just send every unit into combat and keep your fingers crossed that enemies don't use too many abilities, is that how you envisioned the race to be played?

And when you make abilities, not every ability will work either. Your Troll of the Cave and Troll Bear Rider had bash and critical strike respectively, which simply translates to 'more damage'. Well at least your Troll Bear Rider had the Roar ability, the one tangible thing for me to do among your first six combat units available for training.

The end word is, you needed ideas on what actually makes a race work, and also ideas on new strategy, possible ability <-> tactics, and the eye for balance in cutting out what aspects of the race that was overdone, roles that overlapped, etc. Effort alone isn't enough.

The Hero - Did this guy just stepped out an arena map? With the skills he had, he makes for the perfect 1 vs 1 killing machine, so please send him back to his original map, he had no business here in a melee game /:

Most people tend to make poorly designed agility heroes for a melee game, and your Troll Beserker is no exception. Sure, the name 'beserker' means he had to be an all out fighter, but even then there are better ways to make his abilities. As the hero of your race, one way is to make him helpful to the race in some way. For instance the skills Fury and Troll War Cry could be made to affect the entire army instead of just himself. And I didn't like how every skill was offense oriented, you could have given him something defensive to ensure he lives throughout the entire battle, and not just for the duration of hero vs hero fights.

May I suggest a 75% remake of the hero, at the very least?

Favorite unit - Voodoo Troll. At least he had spells to play with, but his spells still needed more improvements, and remove the hero glow please.
Least favorite units - I like to list here all the units that had no abilities. Even most neutral hostle units had a suitable ability or two to complement the unit, so why couldn't you come up with something /:

What I like
[+] Every unit is a troll, very faithful to the theme.

What I dislike
[-] Overall the race is lacking in ideas. Most units also had crappy or no abilities, I mean, be more creative please. Tons of units with overlapping roles.
[-] The hero... I do not know how to say this politely.

Not rated

(I consider this race to be incomplete so I did not give an overall rating. However, I will still give ratings for the each sub category and also a full feedback)

Concept [7/8]

The most ambitious concept in the contest by far. Not only units have a different spawn system, but buildings too (and the way two buildings merge into another building is a new twist). The race also used its own 'resource system' - units and buildings were not created by gold and lumber, but instead by using mana. It is a pity though that the race isn't finished, I'd like to see the rest of your ideas before I am convinced that your race deserved full marks for concepting.

Design & Theme [3.5/5]

All buildings and units looked gooey enough. No complaints for now, though the buildings could be improved in the future if you wanted your race to look more complete. And I really thought it was funny how you chose only icons with a lot of green in them.

The race wasn't completed, so what can I say here? Hmm.. perhaps a few suggestions?

First thing is that both units and buildings needed more abilities in addition to its spawning ones, and make them goo-like abilities please. The Goo Spray (heal) and Bloodlust that the Goo Mush and Goo Brute had respectively were useful for now, but needed to be improved in the future. Perhaps a special healing system for the Mush would be nice, for example. For the buildings, I would love it if they had their own special attributes (moving, self-unsummoning, dividing itself into more goo etc.), or give them further abilities that could be beneficial to nearby goo units (heal, buffs, aura, burrow, transform etc.)

On combat, the race was pretty balanced for now. The part that could really use some improvement is how the goo units move. Although idea-wise it is logical that they move very slowly, gameplay-wise it is frustrating. There was a game when I had two dozens of goo moving to an enemy base at the other end of the map, and I swear I could have fallen asleep on my keyboard watching them move. You could come up with something here in the future, perhaps a teleporting system, or flying/transporting goos, or nydus canal; anything at all would be an improvement.

The Hero - N/A

Favorite unit - Goo Ball. Lololol.
Least favorite unit - None for now.

What I like
{+] The ideas. That was pretty risky to use mana to spawn units and buildings, but you did it anyway. If this system could still mantain its balance by the time you completed your race, I would deem it an even greater success.

What I dislike
[-] Not finished, no hero, can't really test out your race /:
[-] Dreadfully slow unit movement. You need further ideas to fix this and currently there were none.
[-] Confusing and similar names. It was always goo this and goo that, and two buildings names with 'mother' in them were too confusing for me the first time I played it. Make the names sound memorable ('Brute' and 'Mush' aren't) or at least stand out from each other more.
[-} Broken two rules - dateline & no defensive structure.

Not rated

(I consider this race to be incomplete so I did not give an overall rating. However, I will still give ratings for the each sub category and also a full feedback)

Concept [3/8]

Unique unit spawning system, where all units were created by the main building. Reminded me of the zerg :)

Design & Theme [2/5]

I liked the choice of imported nerubian models, they all looked good together. But sadly I can't say the same for your buildings. There was a shooting egg sack as your defense structure, and a pile of crates as your food structure. And you could have tried using attachments if you wanted better looking buildings, as I'm sure they'll look much improved when compared to your current ones. That said, you could also use some effort to give your nerubians some attachments too, as importing them is just the easy part. I didn't like the hero glow on units either /:

Overall, it was lacking in effort.

There was a lack of effort in this part too. The good news is that you had the ideas, so all you needed was the extra effort to implement all of them properly to make your race playable.

Take the resource management for example. How come each unit, from the worker to your best combatant, cost the same 100 gold and 100 lumber? On one had you get a slightly cheap strong combat unit, but on the other hand you had the most expensive worker unit ever. And the fact that your Queen unit can be moved right next to the gold mine meant I only needed 1 worker to collect gold - his popped out of the gold mine for half a second to deposit the gold before darting in again. These areas needed to be balanced out quickly.

The next thing that spoilt your game play was the lack of requirents for training units. I can spawn a 825 hp flyer with 45-55 piercing damage right away to harass the enemy base. It wasn't so hard to come up with a simple system to set the requirements for each unit, and it would go miles in balancing your game play.

The other things I didn't like were the lack of upgrades apart from one researchable ability; and the fact that eggs do no have a food cost requirement, which means I can spawn any number of units (apart from the hero) without needing to build any food structures.

These things almost killed most of the playability within your race, so I suggest prompt fixes in the future should you desire to make your nerubians a playable race.

The Hero - While I liked the custom abilities that you made for the Nerub King, and also thought that all four abilities suited his theme, I on the other hand didn't like the fact that a melee strength hero had three damage dealing spells.

Since I consider your race still incomplete, I couldn't give any suggestions on how to make the hero better, apart from some general advise. The important thing is that he must have a role within his race. Is he a melee type hero who is - a defender who protects his army? A tanker who thrives at being at the center of fights? A leader who is always at the forefront? Currently his casting damage dealing spells from afar doesn't tell me much of his role within the race. A hero without a role is a forgetable hero, as I could just build my army without needing him.

Favorite unit - Caterpillar. Your highest hp unit, is a flyer, and cost the same resource as everyone else.

What I like
[+] Zerg-like spawn idea.

What I dislike
[-] Race lacked effort. Horrible lack of balance in the resource and spawning systems.
[-] Eggs lacked tooltip information. I didn't know what each unit could do.
[-] Hero glow on units.

PS: In an ideal situation, I would like to give 2.5 pts to Pharaoh, 2 pts to Ghost765, 1.5 pts to Stanakin, 1 pt each to zpider, Mage_Goo, VeljkoM, Wazzz & Mr.Goblin, and 0.5 pt to the rest. But that's not going to happen, isn't it? Thus I would give 1 vote each to the top three contestants list on my review. Oh, and everyone have their own criteria in rating, like Gyrosphinx said. Submissions with good concept and balance tend to score higher with me.

(Race not rated - Ghost Army. Its my race :ugly:)

Level 21
Hey I uploaded on 11-09-2009, 05:13 PM which was last day. But other then that I have no problem with your review and I am glad to see that you reviewed all race .

And I think i already told you I don't like whole concept of heroes so I don't have idea what to do with them. Then again he was last to be created and I was in a hurry so I forgot to change him to intelligent hero..

Edit: Also my race can swim and build on water (Well map doesn't have much water but that wasn't my mistake) doesn't that count as race concept?

Level 35
Not rated

Concept [7/8]

The most ambitious concept in the contest by far. Not only units have a different spawn system, but buildings too (and the way two buildings merge into another building is a new twist). The race also used its own 'resource system' - units and buildings were not created by gold and lumber, but instead by using mana. It is a pity though that the race isn't finished, I'd like to see the rest of your ideas before I am convinced that your race deserved full marks for concepting.

Design & Theme [3.5/5]

All buildings and units looked gooey enough. No complaints for now, though the buildings could be improved in the future if you wanted your race to look more complete. And I really thought it was funny how you chose only icons with a lot of green in them.

The race wasn't completed, so what can I say here? Hmm.. perhaps a few suggestions?

First thing is that both units and buildings needed more abilities in addition to its spawning ones, and make them goo-like abilities please. The Goo Spray (heal) and Bloodlust that the Goo Mush and Goo Brute had respectively were useful for now, but needed to be improved in the future. Perhaps a special healing system for the Mush would be nice, for example. For the buildings, I would love it if they had their own special attributes (moving, self-unsummoning, dividing itself into more goo etc.), or give them further abilities that could be beneficial to nearby goo units (heal, buffs, aura, burrow, transform etc.)

On combat, the race was pretty balanced for now. The part that could really use some improvement is how the goo units move. Although idea-wise it is logical that they move very slowly, gameplay-wise it is frustrating. There was a game when I had two dozens of goo moving to an enemy base at the other end of the map, and I swear I could have fallen asleep on my keyboard watching them move. You could come up with something here in the future, perhaps a teleporting system, or flying/transporting goos, or nydus canal; anything at all would be an improvement.

The Hero - N/A

Favorite unit - Goo Ball. Lololol.

What I like
{+] The ideas. That was pretty risky to use mana to spawn units and buildings, but you did it anyway. If this system could still mantain its balance by the time you completed your race, I would deem it an even greater success.

What I dislike
[-] Not finished, no hero, can't really test out your race /:
[-] Dreadfully slow unit movement. You need further ideas to fix this and currently there were none.
[-] Confusing and similar names. It was always goo this and goo that, and two buildings names with 'mother' in them were too confusing for me the first time I played it. Make the names sound memorable ('Brute' and 'Mush' aren't) or at least stand out from each other more.
[-} Broken two rules - dateline & no defensive structure.

Hehe Nice review! :smile: I agree - I to wanted to do just about everything you suggested as improvement.. I also had plans to convert the blight into Goo which would allow for fast movement and "teleporting" by rapid movement in the Goo.

You might though have taken an older version or something since I did add a hero, though it was nowhere near what I wanted to make... I had intended from the beginning to use pure custom made models for it all... But as I worked on them time limit drew closer and I had to make do with edits.:hohum:

I also did have an defensive structure which worked much like undead's. You might not have noticed it though as its damage is minuscule.

I do hope to take this race and finish it when I get the time - Might first be to summer when I get a vacation.:thumbs_up:

Level 10

Concept [3/8]

As a flying race, I really expected a more unique set of ideas. Alas, there is nothing too special about your concept, apart from the obvious choice of making all your avian units able to fly, including the worker. Luckily you balanced this out by making them still targetable as ground units.

Design & Theme [3/5]

Couldn't really find fault with your units model choices, they were all harpies or bird kind. And the buildings, though not spectacular, were in line with the theme. The hero model choice however, was weird because it has a 'walking' animation instead of a 'flying' one. He 'walks' over trees and structures. Overall everything fits the theme, its just too bad nothing really stood out or became memorable enough.

Perhaps the best word to describe your game play - UNPOLISHED! Its a real pity, seeing that you have many nice customly made abilities, and all your ideas were already in place. You could have used more testing time to score big in the game play category.

A good example is your flying speciality. This researchable skill that enables all your units to turn into real flyers (targeted as air) could potentially make a good strategy. Since the skill drains mana while flying, your decision to give each unit type a different amount of mana pool ruins it. Some units have only 50 mana compared to 300 for others, creating a huge gaps when trying to co-ordinate this speciality into a huge group. And the mana drains away too quickly, leading to 'landing' situations during very bad times. More play-testing on your part should have identified the problem. Raise the mana minimum to at least 150 for the sake of a smoother game play, otherwise it wouldn't be worthy to reasearch this skill.

I also didn't like the fact that it was difficult to group your units because while they were flyers, they still have the collision size of a ground unit, making flying in groups pretty awkward.

The Healing Breeze also, could use some polish. The area of effect is too small to be effectively used during combat; and the low amount of hp healed is makes it a weak healing spell outside of combat.

Overall, all your units functions reasonably well and have their own not-too-specific roles to play. For instance the siege unit Arakkoa Warrior, is certainly unconventional but nicely made.

[Misc Note: Your units do not need the Fear and Critical Shoot research because they already have them. One was set without techtree requirements, the other has check dependencies set to false]

The Hero - An agility hero is always difficult to make and balance, especially a melee one. If I encounter your hero in an arena or rpg game, I might like it. But over here, I did not. Your agility hero just doesn't have what it takes to either survive group fights or to be useful in a team. He is more like a spammer of offensive spells.

I also wondered is it intentional to make all the hero skills costing no mana to cast? It does enable your hero to continuosly spam his attack spells though, not quite how an agility hero should function.

Favorite unit - Arakkoa or Hippogryph, depending on tactics. Hippogryph if I focus on group fights; Arakkoa if I plan to level enemy bases quick. On a side note I do hope you will consider giving the Arakkoa more hp.
Least favorite unit - Avian Wariror. This basic melee unit is decent enough early game, but as the game progress it quickly became redundant. A slight makeover should do the trick.

What I like
[+] Everybody flies (except one), which makes for a nice tactic.
[+] Nice, unique customized abilities.

What I dislike
[-] The hero's first skill activates simultaneously as his ultimate. Bugged? Furthermore, the skills lag the game for 1-2 seconds. Very bad. As a spellmaker, you should have focused more in cleaning up the bad errors in your spells.
[-] Race has an unpolished feel. As if it was made in a rush, without adequate testing.
Hm, I think nobody will test my race because it just too buggy.
Nice review btw.

Well, the race is made out of rush because I spend too much time on modeling my custom building (Expected to be 2-3 days but finished after 1.5 week).
About flying ability, it's still bugged. It's supposed to give 'flying' unit Air specification, Air unit collision, and a miss chance when attacking, but whatever.
And, yeah, the unit's isn't unique, it's really hard to find bird model around so I choose them.
The hero itself is supposed to a normal ground hero, but because my mistake, it's movement is set to flying and I forgot to change it.
And, about the Fear and Critical Shoot, I forgot to set its Check Dependencies to true.
About the Hero, well, honestly, the Hero is still not finished yet. When the deadline comes, I only have 2 unfinished spell in him, so I pick 2 random spell from Hive's database and put it. I did it quickly that I haven't check the order ID that cause the hero first and ultimate spell to activate simultaneously.

And thank you for reviewing my race. :grin:

Level 35
@Wraithling: Finally, someone gives me a review on my race :p

For the record, tho, I did give the Flak Cannons a ground attack. As they already had a very powerful anti-air splash attack, I gave them an upgrade to allow them to attack buildings with a siege attack (basically a much weaker version of the Mortar Team, but it did give them some use outside of the pathetic anti-air-only role :p).

Nice review, tho =D

Wraithling, a great review of yours. Thank you for the honest input.
I'd like to mention a few points, because the rest is just the taste of yours:
1) The BirthAnimaRotation was a mistake of the editor. I initially had the Mausoleum, and it somehow replaced Mausoleum with this dummy unit, which is used for the birth animation of buildings with no birth animation :( Sorry for that, but I wouldn't wanna go off the dateline.
2) The dateline. Sorry, I know, it was some days after, but I was informed of a specific event I forgot to change: I had 2 tiers and I updated it with one tier (else, I'd be off the rules). Then, I forgot to change the Structures Built of the worker to Mausoleum (I initially had "Crypt" as the first tier) and it is when the Editor replaced the Crypt with the BirthAnimaRotation dummy. The Structures Built in the place of that dummy is supposed to be the Mausoleum.
3) Finally, the requirement for the ultimate of the hero is again this damn thing happened: the real requirement is Mausoleum. Yes, this was supposed to be like that, since the spell drags units to the Mausoleum, so it is required for the hero to have an actual base, for the units to be dragged at. Another trial for originality anyway.

Thanx a lot for the review and this high rating, even if I haven't got any high voting amount.

Voters are noobs, we all agreed on that.. now, didn't we already decided the vote will be 90% judges and 10% voters?...

So, yes..I might have more votes caused by the fact my race looks nice. Tought, I worked alot on the look of my races for reasons that have been already told before.

And if you do think my race should not get more votes than yours, than the judge will decide and I might have 15/100 by the judges wich means I wont win.

Everybody is happy now.. and let's all celebrate instead of posting things about our fealings.

Status
Not open for further replies.