• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Race Building Contest #3 - Mini Melee Race

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Grrr, since I've been working on it for only 8 days I problably won't be able to get to the quality that I was hoping for. But winning isn't my priority. I have always been a quitter when it comes to race making. I always get these awesome ideas, import some models, and then loose interest. So my goal is at least finish it enough so that it is submitable. I have done everything except abilities. (which is more then i've ever done for a race, lol)

Level 11
@Kercyn: Dude, your race is not playable at all, I'm just happy that it's not yet complete because I want to play a race with MasterHaosis as my hero, but not if he starts at level 9. Atm, there's only 1 building you can actually build, so yea, kinda worrying that someone would submit that out of desparation... -.-

Uhm, I know it's not playable. Master Haosis starts at level 10 because I needed to check his spells. There is only one building (which is not complete anyway) because I did the upgrades first and then the units, one at a time. I did not submit that out of desperation, I thought that the 5th was the last day, so I just uploaded my current progress. It's not, and never will be, a valid submission, but I don't care! I will upload my map on 9th, even though it still won't be finished, not to win, but to show my what I've done. Unlike some other guys who gave up, I'm still on this contest. My free time is extremely limited due to school, but I do what I can and I work as fast as I can.

Level 15
damn, 3 more days of hard work ahead on balancing my race. :D

7 more icons to make.
-Beast armor upgrade x3
-Sturcture upgrade. x3

and I have to balance every units.
The only problem, is that i'm not good vs the computer, so even at easy I'm losing D:
(I prefered the campaign than playing agains't the computer D:)

So I will need some testers.

(even tought some of my hive mates already did test my map)

so....

Work, Work!

me please :) i never play wc3, i used to before but not anymore, would be nice having a different race.

Level 15
Now I'm really starting to hope for an extention. It ends monday and I still have most of my abilities and my hero to make. And then testing. I also probably won't be on the computer much tomorrow.

Anyways here's some wips

153234-albums2474-picture19954.jpg

153234-albums2474-picture19955.jpg

The other pics will be added when I have more time.

Level 35
Well, I'm gonna submit a WIP soon, sure wish that I knew how to do what you did lol

A certain absence of Adobe Photoshop puts me at a disadvantage when it comes to WIPs, the annoying thing is that there's probably people who would vote for a race purely based on the artwork done on the WIP, and not the race itself. I just hope that no one's silly enough to do that...

@Mr Goblin: I'll be more than willing to test your race if you'd like =D

@Chaos.: You did an idea I originally thought of doing. Actually, your idea is a lot like my primitive one O_O. I wonder what the Den of Beasts produces... hmm...

Level 9
I will now post my WIP pictures to prove that I created my race.

The picture show the building models I used at first.
foresttrollbuildings.jpg

The picture show the building models I currently use. Also it is supposed to say: (and Troll Hero icon) after General Franks name.
trollrace.png

Here is a movie I made about my ultimate unit.
It is a spell that creates a permanent dragon (same stats as the drakes) after the unit dies:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin.php?id=dptyvl

That spell that has been remade and now looks and works like this:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin.php?id=ckdxt4

List of abilitys my units use:

Spirit Bear: This unit will after its death, stay behind a short moment in its Spirit Form.

Swipe: Works just like Cleaving Attack

Forest Swiftness: Gives a 10% chance to attack 20% faster for 3 seconds, on an attack.

Rejuvenation Dust: Throws a mystical dust at the target area. The dust regrows all trees in the area and gives a chance to summon a Tree Spirit out of a regrown tree

Burning Oil: Drenches the Catapults ammo in burning oil, causing them to light the ground on fire and burn enemy units.

Liquid Fire: Flings a volatile liquid that causes buildings to take damage over time. Buildings that are currently taking damage from Liquid Fire cannot be repaired, and have their attack rate reduced.

Spirit Form: Transforms the unit into a Spirit Dragon

Stealth Tactic: The unit enters stealth every 5 second, allowing him to combat his enemies in a different way. Lasts 15 seconds.
The way the player is ment to use this spell is to send a squad of these and - attack, stealth, attack, stealth, attack

Sentry Ward: Allowes the player to see invisible units

Ensnare: Unit cannot move and Air units that are ensnared can be attacked as though they were land units.

Healing Ward: A ward that heals.

Not entirely done with the abilitys. Might make some changes.

unitst.jpg

Units I use for my race:

trollunits.jpg

# 9 standard units (1 Worker, 1 Seige, 1 Flying, 1 Water, 2 Casters, 2 Melee, 1 Ranged)

# Blue skinned trolls can only be built after number eight is built (see Second Picture)

# Bear can only be built once number five (see Second Picture) has been upgraded.

# Unit to the right is a fairly useless caster, unless you research spells for him.

My map size is currently 1.41 MB. However the hero takes up 447 kb. So not that many imports.
Which I find to be a good thing, I like it clean. But I might remove one of my units with a better version of it, since I got the space.
My race is pretty much complete, but that does not mean changes wont happen.

Yes - I will not tell you guys anything about my hero, yet.

I am currently trying to make the trigger that was included in the map to work. I contacted the guy that made the trigger, eight days ago.
Still no response. Please check this pastebin to see what the problem is.
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin.php?id=oflc8s
The trigger is diffrent in the movie clip but regardless, the same thing happen with the new trigger. If someone know a way to solve this please let me know.

Triggers/Systems: 98% - read above
Upgrades: 100% - Unless I change abilitys.
Structures: 95% (Optimize tooltips)
Abilities: 98% - Need balancing, might change one or two abilitys.
Icons: 100%
Units: 98% - Need balancing, might change one or two abilitys.
Hero: 95% - Some minor changes are needed, ultimate is quite boring. I might do something about that.

I have added some more pictures to my original post, found here: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...g-contest-3-a-145995/index49.html#post1363949

Units In Action:

inaction.png

inaction2.png

Third Picture: Two Elder Primalists (one of them in Spirit Form) and the Hero - Shadow Prowler are fighting to defend a Catapult.
inaction3.png

building.png

Level 16
Well well well.. the final few days of the contest is seeing quite a number of good WIPs being thrown up, well done guys. Its been a thoroughly exciting contest for me, and I'd like to express my congratulations to everyone who's participating, even to the guys who made couldn't finish their race because of RL factors but at least managed to complete more than half.

Level 35
Well, I actually did get around to making a tech-tree for my race. It may not be as flashy as everyone else's, but it gets the job done. I also have a final WIP ready, just thinking of changing some of the models for abilities now, nothing more :p

NOTE: True, I don't make many WIPs. That's because I'd rather let the player play the game for themselves as opposed to just watching a series of screenies I took myself :p. Hopefully my race will be enjoyable enough =D

Attachments

• Final WIP.jpg
    Final WIP.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 137
  • Tech tree.jpg
    Tech tree.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 179
Here are my heroes abilities
I would also post my techtree soon ^^

1.Psionic Burst (The one in the pic is a typo >.>)
It makes the caster send shockwaves on a circle path.
powerburst.jpg

Made by: -BeRzErKeR-

2.Psi Blades
A modified Drunken Brawler

3.Psionic Storm
Stuns the target and damage it, also sends lightning balls that damage nearby units.
psionicstorm.jpg

Made by: Squiggy

4.Annihilating Power
Sends a massive energy wave from the skies that deal Str+Agi+Int x 2
attachment.php

Made by: Me

Attachments

• AnihilatingPower.jpg
    AnihilatingPower.jpg
    760.9 KB · Views: 511
Level 11
I believe that there's an option in "Specifications" or something like that (like "Mechanical", "Ancient" etc...)

Guys (and gals) I just made a solution for that Town Hall!

First, find this trigger (I know its on the map)
  • Buttons
    • Events
      • Dialog - A dialog button is clicked for Custom_Or_Not
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • (Clicked dialog button) Equal to Custom_Buttons[1]
        • Then - Actions
          • -------- Replace Units here. --------
          • -------- We will use these space later. --------
        • Else - Actions
          • Set tally = (tally + 1)
        • If - Conditions
          • AmntOfPlayers Equal to tally
        • Then - Actions
          • Countdown Timer - Destroy (Last created timer window)
          • Trigger - Turn off Timer <gen>
        • Else - Actions
On the first "We will use these space later"
Put this:
    • Melee Game - Create Human starting units for (Triggering player) at ((Triggering player) start location) (Exclude Heroes)
    • ------ Create your units here ------
    • Set NrOfTownHalls[(Player number of (Triggering player))] = (NrOfTownHalls[(Player number of (Triggering player))] + 1)
    • Unit - Create 1 Town Hall for (Triggering player) at ((Triggering player) start location) facing Default building facing degrees
    • Set RevealBuilding[(Player number of (Triggering player))] = (Last created unit)
    • Unit - Hide (Last created unit)
    • Unit - Add Invulnerable (Neutral) to (Last created unit)
    • Unit - Turn collision for (Last created unit) Off
    • Unit - Remove Return Gold and Lumber from (Last created unit)
NrofTownHalls is an Integer Variable with 6 array
RevealBuildings is an Unit Variable with 6 Array

Thats it! your done!
End trigger:
  • Buttons
    • Events
      • Dialog - A dialog button is clicked for Custom_Or_Not
    • Conditions
    • Actions
        • If - Conditions
          • (Clicked dialog button) Equal to Custom_Buttons[1]
        • Then - Actions
          • Melee Game - Create Human starting units for (Triggering player) at ((Triggering player) start location) (Exclude Heroes)
          • ------ Create your units here ------
          • Set NrOfTownHalls[(Player number of (Triggering player))] = (NrOfTownHalls[(Player number of (Triggering player))] + 1)
          • Unit - Create 1 Town Hall for (Triggering player) at ((Triggering player) start location) facing Default building facing degrees
          • Set RevealBuilding[(Player number of (Triggering player))] = (Last created unit)
          • Unit - Hide (Last created unit)
          • Unit - Add Invulnerable (Neutral) to (Last created unit)
          • Unit - Turn collision for (Last created unit) Off
          • Unit - Remove Return Gold and Lumber from (Last created unit)
        • Else - Actions
          • Melee Game - Create starting units (for all players)
        • If - Conditions
          • AmntOfPlayers Equal to tally
        • Then - Actions
          • Countdown Timer - Destroy (Last created timer window)
          • Trigger - Turn off Timer <gen>
        • Else - Actions
Please post again, so I can submit my final work.

Level 11
*Downloading*
*Testing*

• Drones can't harvest lumber T_T
  • The buildings/units look a lot like the Night Elven ones.
  • The tooltips are not very helpful. I needed to train units to know what their abilities do.
  • My first espionage got killed because I thought she was invisible. You can write something like "Well, yes, she's hard to see, but she's not invisible you moron!"
  • When I cast Stim Pack, my infantries' life is completely restored. Plus, they get the Berserker buff and nothing but this indicates that Stim Pack is on (like, hand attachments or something).
  • Restore Vitality uses the Rejuvenation buff.
  • Annihilator: 1,500 range? Wtf? Don't you think it's WAY too much?
  • Dragon Cruiser model LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!! Hyper Beam is OP by the way. All I need to do is to train like 10 Dragon Cruisers and it's over :))
  • Hippocopter model is another big lol. "Pick up Archer" picks up an Annihilator? Destroyer's model is especially funny too ^^
  • When Destroyer flies, it leaves marks on the sky, as if it was on the ground.
  • Last but not least, I like your hero :))

Last edited:
Level 11
I know they're not meant to harvest lumber, but the tooltip says they can. Anyway, that's not my point. 7 lumber every few seconds is nothing compared to the lumber needed to train units/research upgrades etc.

Level 11
Huh? Tower of Ages provide you with lumber? I thought the income was fixed, and you couldn't do anything to increase it. If that's the case, then yes, it's clever :))

Level 35
Well, my map's going to be a tiny bit oversized. Will that matter in the long run? After all, I've complied with all the other rules and 67Chrome did say that a few rules could afford to be broken in this competition, so I'm just wondering about that. Even if it's not allowed to be this size, I reckon I'll submit it anyway, tho, so ppl can play it :p

Level 9
My final submission. ;-((
It's a playable Wip. Most spells and abilities are not finished. Most upgrades are missing and Tooltips are messed up.
Prices and stats are not calibrated. All units are created for 10 seconds.

Race Features:
Egg hatch system - units are created by eggs, spawn by the Queen.
Experience system - Some units will evolve as they fight.

silk1.jpg

silk2.jpg

Things I couldn't finish(or even start):
-resource system(eggs>larvae>unit)
-many custom spells
-better experience system(current is too simple)
-better art
-web system
-tunnels system(like the zerg cannals)

Sorry for the sucky entry but I think it's quite good for a two days work.

Attachments

• Racebuilding Contest.w3x
    1 MB · Views: 213
Last edited:
Level 19
Here ya go, a final submisssion.

Behold the Fist of Tyranny!

Bone-DeathPact.gif

Attention:
-The Land Mine ability might seem a bit unbalanced, but it is in fact crucial for this race's survival.
-The hero's ultimate damages allied units as well as enemies, so I advice you to keep friendly units at some distance when you use it.

---ENJOY---

---Screens will be attached soon---

Attachments

• Racebuilding Contest(2).w3x
    719.9 KB · Views: 185
  • screen4.png
    screen4.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 209
  • screen3.png
    screen3.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 253
  • screen2.png
    screen2.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 254
  • screen1.png
    screen1.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 291
Last edited:
Level 35
Here ya go, a final submisssion.

Behold the Fist of Tyranny!

Bone-DeathPact.gif

Attention:
-The Land Mine ability might seem abit unbalanced, but it is in fact crucial for this race's survival.
-The hero's ultimate damages allied units as well as enemies, so I advice you to keep friendly units at some distance when you use it.

Was the idea to upload something like a map or just the picture?

Level 31
You all failed epically. Did you ever read the contest rules etc?
Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
Several screenshots of race in action.
The file in the appropriate format.
You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours.
You declared your own defeat because your final submission doesn't have pictures. :p
Thanks a lot.

Anyway here's my final submission: Fire Race
Enjoy the 7 buildings, 7 units, 9 upgrades.

69065d1257612175-race-building-contest-3-all-buildings.jpg

69066d1257612175-race-building-contest-3-attack-creeps.jpg

69067d1257612175-race-building-contest-3-attacked.jpg

69068d1257612175-race-building-contest-3-shrine.jpg

69070d1257613274-dont-come-army.jpg

69071d1257613274-dont-come-2.jpg

69072d1257613274-dont-come-fightbase.jpg

Credits go to General Frank for his FireDragon, HappyTauren for his FireSkeleton and the DemonTower and the ChaosCitadel, shamanyouranus for his FireTotem, Thrikodius for his shrine, Illidan(Evil)X for his Fire Elemental, JetFangInferno for his Fire Shockwave, MetalSonic for his Revenant, Ergius for his Fire Tower, Pyritie for his Fire Aura.
Thanks for all these awesome models!

Attachments

• Attacked.jpg
    Attacked.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 796
  • Shrine.jpg
    Shrine.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 765
  • Attack Creeps.jpg
    Attack Creeps.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 748
  • All buildings.jpg
    All buildings.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 771
  • chilla_killa 'sRacebuilding Contest.w3x
    902.3 KB · Views: 191
Final Submission
By x-omg-x

Pictures

Sub1.pngSub2.pngSub3.pngSub4.pngSub5.pngSub6.pngSub7.png

Contains

• 8 units
  • 9 buildings
  • 1 hero
  • 2 summons
  • 19 abillites
  • 7 buffs
  • 14 upgrades

Authors note

Okay, now its finally time to release my race.
Its a hell based race with alot fire, hate and darkness blended together.
My maps file size is huge, but it doesnt contain that much imported models/skins. The file size is because i had to doublicate alot models to make them work with the skins and the interface i used. Anyways i hope you enjoy playing my race. Good luck to all others in the competition!
I have made a little change since my first submission. Some tooltips and balances is made. Have fun playing!

Download

Attachments

• Racebuilding Contest[Hell].w3x
    1.9 MB · Views: 225
Last edited:
Almost all icons are done:
attachment.php

I still have to start working on the hero's spells and his summonable unit, and I haven't done much balancing yet. So the race may turn out rather unbalanced and with a hero with modified non-triggered blizzard spells. :/

Attachments

• KoboldIconCompilation.png
    KoboldIconCompilation.png
    75.1 KB · Views: 1,529
Level 11
Very, very, VERY well done X-OMG-X! I'll be surprised if you don't get in the top 3. No time to play your race now, but I hope I'll find time tomorrow :)

Level 15
Final Submission
By x-omg-x

Pictures

View attachment 69084View attachment 69085View attachment 69086View attachment 69087View attachment 69088View attachment 69089View attachment 69090

Contains

• 8 units
  • 9 buildings
  • 1 hero
  • 2 summons
  • 19 abillites
  • 7 buffs
  • 14 upgrades

Authors note

Okay, now its finally time to release my race.
Its a hell based race with alot fire, hate and darkness blended together.
My maps file size is huge, but it doesnt contain that much imported models/skins. The file size is because i had to doublicate alot models to make them work with the skins and the interface i used. Anyways i hope you enjoy playing my race. Good luck to all others in the competition!

Download

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pXfHLUlZf4

Status
Not open for further replies.