• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Race Building Contest #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 38
what about resources whose authors we dont know? i have a TON of models that i downloaded long ago, and their authors i do not know.

I'd really prefer it if you credit the author, any resource you use should be publicly available. For resources you don't know the author to you can probably find a good 95% of the authors by looking for the same resource here or at WC3 Campaigns. Most of the resources I downloaded ages ago from WC3 Search I was able to find here or at WC3Campaigns, so ya. If you downloaded it from a different site as long as that site is still up and running you should check that one out.

Can we use triggered stuff?

GUI, Jass, vJass, their all fair game. I don't see anything wrong with using triggered things other people have submitted to this site either, as long as you give them credit and it is available to anyone.

A question:

I noticed that we're not allowed to use the Sound editor, but what if we want to use a sound in an ability? Would we be allowed to import custom sounds?

The sound editor isn't mentioned because I just copied most of the rules from the techtree contest template. As long as the sound dosen't interfere with the standard four races' sounds, well, the only thing about this is that I'd like the imported resources to be available to everyone, and I haven't run into any site that has sound files available for WC3. I'll have to think about this one.

theres no rules against different submissions of the same race.

That's true. If two people want to do lets say, a gnoll race, then they could both go for it. Both races would have to be different though, but with all the spell, upgrade, and unit dynamics it would be pretty hard to accidentally make the same race twice.

just dont make the race before. ok, question bout resources, are there certain rules to keep in mind? of course we cant use rips, but can we use resources from other sites?

As long as you can find a credible author for the resources you download, and the site is publicly accessible, it's fine. Hive Workshop, WC3C, some crazy Russian sites, their all fair game.

Hmm, I just red over the rules & some points look a little un-clear on the first read. Like this part

* Units/building upgraded to gain additional bonuses count as 1 unit. (Watch Tower -> Scout Tower

To me looks like every upgrade (different model) counts as one of the 8 units.
and
* Dummy units do not count towards the unit total.
What counts as a dummy unit?
And my final thing to say in this post is, Can the 2mb be raised to 3/4 ish.

Ya, pretty much every unit upgrade would count as the same unit. The only exception I really see in melee game play is the Obsidian Statue and Destroyer, as the Destroyer can not change back, has essentially none of the same spells, and fills an entirely different role.

Dummy units are essentially used for spell effects and triggering purposes. Examples of dummy units in melee game-play are the disease clouds spawned by abominations and meat wagons, and the locusts summoned by crypt lords. They usually fill a very limited graphical or spell effect role, and are usually un-selectable and invulnerable as well.

2mb is definitely big enough, you should focus on importing resources that are needed for the race rather than simply importing resources for the sake of importing resources. Anyways, the contest over at WC3C is only designating 1/4 the amount of space for imports this contest would, and a lot can be done with 500kb if it is used wisely.

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

67chrome said:
you should focus on importing resources that are needed for the race rather than simply importing resources for the sake of importing resources

Lol thx for that, just made me realize that I was "importing resources for the sake of importing"

Level 11
u-need-moar-channelz-i-r-bord-alredy.jpg

Any updates on the date we start?

Level 4
I just downloaded the latest patch and I'm not particularly fantastic with triggers either, so I would greatly appreciate it if one of you did an easy to use start up trigger for a custom race. moonglade looks like the map I'll have for this contest as well ;)

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin.php?id=y82n6k Here i made a trigger to bring up a dialog button and pause the game you will select wether you want a custom race or not, its up to the editor to replace the units that are there. There will be a timer for 30 seconds. Probably not the perfect trigger but its a start.

Last edited:

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

so, is that the final map that we can start on or...?

Level 11
This project is dead. Lets all face it, were all gona get hyped up and then when it comes out the world will end.

When is this going to start?

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

somebody just approve this cant take more than 2 min to move a forum post...

Level 9
for those without any ideeas: Race - Forsaken.

PS: We have to edit an existing race in order to make our own, or we can just create new units?

Level 9
67Chrome said:
The map's terrain may not be edited. The current four melee races may not be edited.

Thats your answer =), but im still having troubles with that, since i want to edit the game interface(it is allowed in the rules) to put a custom race thingy, showing different icon in score screen, diferent cursor, but that wouldn't edit some races score screen, cursor? im not clear about that

Bye

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

Im making evil nelf's or something like that...

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

I ment check what u edited >.>
(Things that you can only see in the editor)

Level 38
The contest will start when it is moved to the arena, no contest is official here in the contest submission thread. I'm new to hosting contests, so I probably screwed up by attaching the map to this thread. Right now I'm waiting to see if any moderators have any objection to me hosting this contest, as it has more to do with triggers than 2d art, so that is currently the hold up.

As for map protection, you should leave them open so that they can be tested more easily, and so things like the amount of imported material can be more accurately assessed. ;)

Level 3
Thats your answer =), but im still having troubles with that, since i want to edit the game interface(it is allowed in the rules) to put a custom race thingy, showing different icon in score screen, diferent cursor, but that wouldn't edit some races score screen, cursor? im not clear about that

Bye

maybe you could edit the naga...
its a 5th race not one of the meele races

Level 38
Editing the user interface is a little extreeme, and a bit beyond the scope of this contest. Perhaps in future incarnations of this contest a race will be overwritten to allow such control, and allow things such as custom blight textures to be used, but for now the basic premise is to keep it simple.

As for the maps being protected, some people need to force start them from their world editor to test the race out, so I'd prefer to keep it an open source for the final submission, when this contest gets up and running. Of course, if you want an opinion on things to change before the contest comes to a close you could always protect it to keep your ideas more secure for the contest.

As for when this contest gets hosted, one of my fellow moderators voiced concern about having another contest up with the number of contests that are currently active. I'll talk to him and see if I can convince him starting this contest sometime soon will defiantly be worth while ;)

BTW - you will be able to tell when this contest starts by were it is located - when it gets moved in with the other contests in the arena it will be official, and I'll probably post something in the thread to avoid any confusion ;)

Level 11
does it really matter how many contests are up? as long as each of them have a decent number of participants does it really matter?

Agree with that.

And about the map. I suggest that you remove it and re-upload another map when the competition officially starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.