• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Tech Tree Contest #10: Theme Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
So:
With the longest contest in the entire Hive done. In an initiative made by me, I've decided to start a Theme discussion for the Upcoming Tech Tree Contest #10.
I hope that more people will join the contest this time for the last one had only 3 people participating.

Here are the themes:
Alliances:
Create a new race based on an alliance not seen on the vanilla (Original) Races of Warcraft (Example: Tauren and Human, Gnolls and Orcs, etc...)
Elements:
Create a new race based on an Elemental focus, Using the four base elements (Fire, Water, Earth and air)
Mythology:
Create a new race based on Real Life Mythology (Such as Greek, Hindu, Egyptian, Celtic and so on.
Alternate Timeline:
Create a faction based on the idea that they exist in an alternate warcraft universe. Example: humans may be extinct or the orcs never came to Azeroth.
Nomad:
Create a faction which their main system is like the Night Elven or heaven's fall's Zear Fallen in that their race has mobility at their side.
Fourcraft:
Continue the evolution of one of the 4 main races and enhance their techtree.
Insurgence
Take up to 2 of the minor (and mostly oppressed) races in vanilla warcraft and make a separte faction

Last edited:
we basically had one of those already (techtree #5 - innovation). my suggestions:

- futurecraft; take 1 of the 4 existing races and make them sci-fi
- alliances; form a techtree based off 2 or more races that haven't been done in wc3 already, e.g. blood elves + orcs, undead + faceless, night elf + tauren
- elements; what imo 'biomes' should have been, make a race that encapsulates a certain element (fire, water, earth, air, ice etc.)
- mythology; base your race on a real life mythology, e.g. greek, egyptian, hindu mythology

Level 12
we basically had one of those already (techtree #5 - innovation). my suggestions:

- futurecraft; take 1 of the 4 existing races and make them sci-fi
- alliances; form a techtree based off 2 or more races that haven't been done in wc3 already, e.g. blood elves + orcs, undead + faceless, night elf + tauren
- elements; what imo 'biomes' should have been, make a race that encapsulates a certain element (fire, water, earth, air, ice etc.)
- mythology; base your race on a real life mythology, e.g. greek, egyptian, hindu mythology

The elements one is a great Idea and would look cool

What about Mini-Races?
From what I've seen, there isn't a single contest of this here in the hive

Hmm, honestly not particularly interested in Elements one if only for the fact that elementals are so overused in fantasy. The Futurecraft does sound fun but I'm a bit concerned with the availability of sci-fi/futuristic models available to fit specific needs.

Something I think might be interesting world be AU races, that is, take one of any of the 4 existing races, and modify their background lore and see where that takes you. Warlords of Draenor kinda does that already, so the example taken from canon would be that the AU Orcs are no longer demon-bound, but have advanced war machines. The gist is the same as Futurecraft, but it remains fantasy instead of becoming sci-fi. The only reason I suggest this is because of availability of models.

As far as mini-races go, I'm ok with that, seeing as how time-consuming making an entire race can be. A less taxing contest might bring in more contestants too, albeit it might not be as fun as the other ideas. Wc3 is high fantasy after all, and high fantasy loves to be grandiose :p

I'm sure we can find more ideas, but before we do that, could someone please tell me what the themes of the previous contests were so we don't have a repeat?

PS: BlackRangerXIII you should probably edit Futurecraft in OP to say 'Take one of the main 4 races and make them modern or futuristic'. No one will have time to edit 4 races :p

elements != elementals

an alternate universe theme sounds good, tho not sure if each faction is still required to have all their constituent races e.g. would an alternate alliance need humans working together with dwarves or orcs, or could they, say, team up with tuskarrs? (i say latter)

not a fan of mini-race theme. we had an entire debate last contest about the fact that techtree contestants should be able to always choose the size and shape of their entry. pharaoh himself agreed that contestants should be able to choose for themselves.

past themes:
1. ummm.... free themed?
2. uhhh... essentially free themed?
3. ????
4. 'improved melee race'
5. ughhh pretty much free themed
6. no imports
7. super unit
8. seal of the magus
9. biomes

Level 12
elements != elementals

an alternate universe theme sounds good, tho not sure if each faction is still required to have all their constituent races e.g. would an alternate alliance need humans working together with dwarves or orcs, or could they, say, team up with tuskarrs? (i say latter)

not a fan of mini-race theme. we had an entire debate last contest about the fact that techtree contestants should be able to always choose the size and shape of their entry. pharaoh himself agreed that contestants should be able to choose for themselves.

past themes:
1. ummm.... free themed?
2. uhhh... essentially free themed?
3. ????
4. 'improved melee race'
5. ughhh pretty much free themed
6. no imports
7. super unit
8. seal of the magus
9. biomes

If I go with alternate Universe i would make an alliance where the High Elves and the Mages would not get destroyed. just my opinion.

Hmm, honestly not particularly interested in Elements one if only for the fact that elementals are so overused in fantasy. The Futurecraft does sound fun but I'm a bit concerned with the availability of sci-fi/futuristic models available to fit specific needs.

Something I think might be interesting world be AU races, that is, take one of any of the 4 existing races, and modify their background lore and see where that takes you. Warlords of Draenor kinda does that already, so the example taken from canon would be that the AU Orcs are no longer demon-bound, but have advanced war machines. The gist is the same as Futurecraft, but it remains fantasy instead of becoming sci-fi. The only reason I suggest this is because of availability of models.

As far as mini-races go, I'm ok with that, seeing as how time-consuming making an entire race can be. A less taxing contest might bring in more contestants too, albeit it might not be as fun as the other ideas. Wc3 is high fantasy after all, and high fantasy loves to be grandiose :p

I'm sure we can find more ideas, but before we do that, could someone please tell me what the themes of the previous contests were so we don't have a repeat?

PS: BlackRangerXIII you should probably edit Futurecraft in OP to say 'Take one of the main 4 races and make them modern or futuristic'. No one will have time to edit 4 races :p

RangerDerp Sorry :p

Removed the Mini-races and added Alternate Universe as alternate Timeline

here are the explaination:

-Futurecraft is simply to make the races of warcraft into starcraft.
-Alliances is for example like Humans and Taurens. Create Unlikely alliances.
-Elements is to Create a race that it's based on any of the four elements and you don't need to just use elementals, you can use living and unliving servants of those elements.
-Mythology is simply to create a race based on real life mythology Hypothetical example: if this theme was the one chosen and I've chosen Greek Mythology I would make a greek Mythology based race.

I'll need to check out contest 8. Sounds like my kind of stuff :D

I don't see a difference between Elements and Elementals. Elementals are manifestation of an Element... unless you meant something else?

An idea that occured to me about a spin on Futurecraft would be - what if a technologically advanced race descended upon Azeroth instead of making one of the existing ones sci-fi? Kinda like that Draenei, but more techy.

Also I would changed Alternate Timeline description to this:
Change/Create a faction based on the idea that they exist in an alternate warcraft universe. Example: humans may be extinct or the orcs never came to Azeroth.

Level 12
I'll need to check out contest 8. Sounds like my kind of stuff :D

I don't see a difference between Elements and Elementals. Elementals are manifestation of an Element... unless you meant something else?

An idea that occured to me about a spin on Futurecraft would be - what if a technologically advanced race descended upon Azeroth instead of making one of the existing ones sci-fi? Kinda like that Draenei, but more techy.

Also I would changed Alternate Timeline description to this:
Change/Create a faction based on the idea that they exist in an alternate warcraft universe. Example: humans may be extinct or the orcs never came to Azeroth.

The Seal of Magus one?

I've meant that the faction in the Elements idea can have normal units not just elementals.

Level 21
The lost 3rd Techtree contest was creating mini-race. It used therm "campaign race" as naga were the example.

I would pick either Alliances or Elements. Idea of combining two of the warcraft races sounds fun and Elements is really what last contest should have been. More inclined towards Alliances.

Alternate Timeline is really just another free theme and Future Race lacks resources.

But shouldn't some themes be around gameplay since right now all suggestions focus on appearance/lore of the race. Maybe Nomadic theme where your race has mobile bases. Or would that be too hard or unattractive restriction?

It doesn't need to be just mages
I can be anything else
Fair enough.

What about team work, btw? Would that be acceptable? If so, to what extent? Would you allow libraries made speifically for the map by someone else, or maybe only allow custom models?

But shouldn't some themes be around gameplay since right now all suggestions focus on appearance/lore of the race. Maybe Nomadic theme where your race has mobile bases. Or would that be too hard or unattractive restriction?
Personally, I like deriving my mechanics from the lore rather than the other way around. Either way I don't have an objection, but moving bases could just be another theme. Maybe there's no need to differentiate btw lore theme or mechanics theme.

Level 12
Fair enough.

What about team work, btw? Would that be acceptable? If so, to what extent? Would you allow libraries made speifically for the map by someone else, or maybe only allow custom models?

It will be solo, Libraries can be self made or imported with the exception of the custom race system which will be given by the moderator

It will be like any contest (With the exception of the no imports one) you can use imported assets or not but the map will be limited to the standard Battle.Net map limit of 8mb

Personally, I like deriving my mechanics from the lore rather than the other way around. Either way I don't have an objection, but moving bases could just be another theme. Maybe there's no need to differentiate btw lore theme or mechanics theme.

This is a discussion thread
Any suggestion is welcomed.
Added Nomad to the OP

It will be solo, Libraries can be self made or imported with the exception of the custom race system which will be given by the moderator

It will be like any contest (With the exception of the no imports one) you can use imported assets or not but the map will be limited to the standard Battle.Net map limit of 8mb

Yeah but what if the resources are created specifically for this map by a third party? Would those be allowed?

Ah, that's neat. I hope there won't be any restrictions on using vJASS?

Back on topic: about Elements, would it be acceptable to have a technologically advanced race that, eg, harnesses lightning as it chosen element? Or maybe some sort of Frankenstein spin on the undead (yknow, lightning - "It's Alive!")?

Level 12
Ah, that's neat. I hope there won't be any restrictions on using vJASS?

Back on topic: about Elements, would it be acceptable to have a technologically advanced race that, eg, harnesses lightning as it chosen element? Or maybe some sort of Frankenstein spin on the undead (yknow, lightning - "It's Alive!")?

For vJASS? I use them too so no, no restriction at all

Yes.
The Elements based faction will be throughout the use of the Elemental affinity. not just magic.
So a faction with Fire as it's element can use Metal since metal is forged through fire and earth, So earth can use it. (Hypothetical example.)

I am going to take a page from my own work and suggest taking one of the four vanilla TFT races and continue their evolution as they might appear in WC4.

For instance we saw the progression of the Catapult to the Demolisher from RoC to TFT. What kind of heavy siege unit would Orc possess after TFT? Maybe they react to the faster moving battles that occurred in TFT by developing a more mobile siege unit.

What about Alliances between the Independents?

Uhm, I thought the point of Independents was to have exclusively 1 race, or at least 1 race that's enslaved by the other (Kinda like the Naga and Mur'guls), though admittedly there might be a resource constraint of going exclusively 1 race.

Level 18
It will be limited to commonly made races if people chose that option.
True we got tons of resources for "Blood Elves", "Dwarfs", "Trolls" and "Goblins", yet there is enought to make working races from the others (Tauren, Nerubian, Forest Creatures, Ancients) Units like the RPG Tauren can be outfitted with team color attachments and supply many roles from caster to melee dps or even ranged unit.

What about Alliances between the Independents?
That can work very good, having up to (2 or 3) races in the new independent faction. Very similar to the alliance theme already suggested but excluding the main races from the equation.

So the my suggestion would be the following:

Insurgence
Take up to 2 of the minnor (and mostly oppressed) races in the original 4 factions of vanilla warcraft and make a separate faction.
Tax heavily on originality to reduce the pure Blood Elf (overly used) spin-off.

Edit: we could make the original 5 races to include murloks, beeing independent from NAGA.

Level 12
Uhm, I thought the point of Independents was to have exclusively 1 race, or at least 1 race that's enslaved by the other (Kinda like the Naga and Mur'guls), though admittedly there might be a resource constraint of going exclusively 1 race.

So that's why I've brought the Alliance between the Independents

True we got tons of resources for "Blood Elves", "Dwarfs", "Trolls" and "Goblins", yet there is enought to make working races from the others (Tauren, Nerubian, Forest Creatures, Ancients) Units like the RPG Tauren can be outfitted with team color attachments and supply many roles from caster to melee dps or even ranged unit.

That can work very good, having up to (2 or 3) races in the new independent faction. Very similar to the alliance theme already suggested but excluding the main races from the equation.

So the my suggestion would be the following:

Insurgence
Take up to 2 of the minnor (and mostly oppressed) races in vanilla warcraft and make a separte faction
Tax heavily on originality to reduce the pure Blood Elf (overly used) spin-off.

It's better now
Also I've asked Spellbound to make arts for all contest themes to show the mods for Contest usage

Level 18
Also I've asked Spellbound to make arts for all contest themes to show the mods for Contest usage
Shouldn´t we first make the poll and see what theme is selected. Hehe cause right now Spellbound may be ending doing art for a theme with 0 votes. :vw_sad:

PS: I am trying to reach some pals from TechTreeContest#6 that may be interested in participating on #10. (That one was NO IMPORTS and got 10 entries)

Last edited:
Level 12
Shouldn´t we first make the poll and see what theme is selected. Hehe cause right now Spellbound may be ending doing art for a theme with 0 votes. :vw_sad:

PS: I am trying to reach some pals from TechTreeContest#6 that may be interested in participate in #10. (That one was NO IMPORTS and got 10 entries)

I am a well prepared guy

and nice. The more people, the merrier

Level 18
Lets Make the TechTree GRAND CHALLENGE Contest

People, please forgive me if I am going off-topic here. :ogre_kawaii:

Said that, I was thinking that one of the reasons that TechTreeContests tend to have so many abandoned entries (and few contestants to start) is the overwhelming amount of work that is needed to produce a good entry. Main game play mechanics' coding, 3D modelling (editing or creating new resources), 2D art (adjusting or recoloring), Abilities Coding, Game Balancing, etc.

In the end, this type of contest may end up being one of the most complex and all-round challenges at the Hive, and we should treat it as such. What I mean is that to produce top-notch entries and to rise it's popularity we could turn this contest into a community effort. Bringing people together from different backgrounds to compete into a team challenge, for example:
  • A 3 people team: Game Editor and Balancer, Coder, and 3D/2D artist.
We could even make a rooster with incomplete teams or single contestants to announce their skill area and find complementary teammates, also we could allow team member replacement if one contestant voluntary withdraws to keep its team on the race.

PD: on a final note hehehehe very few people are all-round competent contestants as Kingz, Spellbound,VeljkoM, GhostThruster to name a few, and I as a rookie would like to use my skills in an entry that is not falling short on areas that are not of my knowledge. :ogre_hurrhurr:

Said that, I was thinking that one of the reasons that TechTreeContests tend to have so many abandoned entries (and few contestants to start) is the overwhelming amount of work that is needed to produce a good entry. Main game play mechanics' coding, 3D modelling (editing or creating new resources), 2D art (adjusting or recoloring), Abilities Coding, Game Balancing, etc.

In the end, this type of contest may end up being one of the most complex and all-round challenges at the Hive, and we should treat it as such. What I mean is that to produce top-notch entries and to rise it's popularity we could turn this contest into a community effort. Bringing people together from different backgrounds to compete into a team challenge, for example:
We could even make a rooster with incomplete teams or single contestants to announce their skill area and find complementary teammates, also we could allow team member replacement if one contestant voluntary withdraws to keep its team on the race.

PD: on a final note hehehehe very few people are all-round competent contestants as Kingz, Spellbound,VeljkoM, GhostThruster to name a few, and I as a rookie would like to use my skills in an entry that is not falling short on areas that are not of my knowledge. :ogre_hurrhurr:

I do agree with you here, and I think a 2-man team would be ideal. The only thing I can't do is 3D, so it would be nice to have a collaborator on that end despite the wealth of models on the Hive because sometimes you can't find this one specific thing you need.

Level 12

I do agree with you here, and I think a 2-man team would be ideal. The only thing I can't do is 3D, so it would be nice to have a collaborator on that end despite the wealth of models on the Hive because sometimes you can't find this one specific thing you need.

Maybe in contest #11 we do a multi team contest

EDIT:Removed Futurecraft because of the lack of usable resources.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.