• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Tech Tree Contest #10: Theme Poll

Select your theme

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Discussion Thread
It's time to Vote people for the next theme for the Tech Tree Contest #10:

Here are the themes:

Alliances:
Create a new race based on an alliance not seen on the vanilla (Original) Races of Warcraft (Example: Tauren and Human, Gnolls and Orcs, etc...)
Elements:
Create a new race based on an Elemental focus, Using the four base elements (Fire, Water, Earth and air)
Mythology:
Create a new race based on pre-made Mythology, be it Real Life (Such as Greek, Hindu, Egyptian, Celtic and so on.) or fictional (Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos, J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle Earth and so on)
Alternate Timeline:
Create a faction based on the idea that they exist in an alternate warcraft universe. Example: humans may be extinct or the orcs never came to Azeroth.
Nomad:
Create a faction which their main system is like the Night Elven or heaven's fall's Zear Fallen in that their race has mobility at their side.
Fourcraft:
Continue the evolution of one of the 4 main races and enhance their techtree.
Insurgence
Take up to 2 of the minor (and mostly oppressed) races in vanilla warcraft and make a separte faction
We've decided to make the contest solo and allow third party imports so long as they are not credited as team members.
Contest import limit is 8mb

Last edited:
Level 12
All right
I've spoken with Fladdermasken about the contest and he told me this:

After you've picked out the theme, you post a full submission following the contest template.

There, if everything looks fine, we designate an overseeing moderator.

Also, it's probably a good idea to come up with judges beforehand.

So we need judges. anyone up to it?

Level 18
Given past experiences and also personal preference I would strongly recommend to use multiple choise polls when we got more than 3-4 options. (Suggestion for the next contest)

From what I saw, people tend to have a prefered theme, but also a couple of "good enough themes". A multiple choise poll enable the contestant to choose all their prefered ones, on the other hand with a single option poll contestans vote for the theme that is more feasible to win not what they wanted to participate on as a first option.

For example, in my case my favorite themes are: ALLIANCE > MYTHOLOGY > INSURGENCE
I will vote for Mythology cause I like it enough, but mostly because it has a chance to win instead of my first option that currently has 0 votes.:wink:

Any way things are already set this way, so lets focuss on promoting this poll and having as many participants in the contest as possible.

Level 12
Given past experiences and also personal preference I would strongly recommend to use multiple choise polls when we got more than 3-4 options. (Suggestion for the next contest)

From what I saw, people tend to have a prefered theme, but also a couple of "good enough themes". A multiple choise poll enable the contestant to choose all their prefered ones, on the other hand with a single option poll contestans vote for the theme that is more feasible to win not what they wanted to participate on as a first option.

For example, in my case my favorite themes are: ALLIANCE > MYTHOLOGY > INSURGENCE
I will vote for Mythology cause I like it enough, but mostly because it has a chance to win instead of my first option that currently has 0 votes.:wink:

Any way things are already set this way, so lets focuss on promoting this poll and having as many participants in the contest as possible.

Agree
MAP NEWS EDIT: I'm looking for new maps.

Great News Everyone
Kam agreed to be the Judge of the Contest!

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Ha! Looks like I shoulda been paying more attention; you guys snuck this one in right under my nose. : ) Probably to avoid more "pointless arguing"... ;P

Well, suffice it to say I will have more to say later, but I'm sad I wasn't checking the Contest Submission; coulda thrown out a few submissions. As it is, for now I"ll simply put in yet another voice calling for the potency & diversity offered by a Multi-Vote Poll; single-vote Polls are simply not enough for stuff like this.

Glad to see this starting up again, though. I dearly hope I can find time to enter.

Level 12
Ha! Looks like I shoulda been paying more attention; you guys snuck this one in right under my nose. : ) Probably to avoid more "pointless arguing"... ;P

Well, suffice it to say I will have more to say later, but I'm sad I wasn't checking the Contest Submission; coulda thrown out a few submissions. As it is, for now I"ll simply put in yet another voice calling for the potency & diversity offered by a Multi-Vote Poll; single-vote Polls are simply not enough for stuff like this.

Glad to see this starting up again, though. I dearly hope I can find time to enter.

It's to make less draws

Level 12
I'm surprised Mythology is doing so well. It's like, everything's already been made. You just have to copy-paste things from the myths onto wc3. idk, while I generally do like Mythology, in this instance it sounds... meh. To each their own I guess :)

Probably because some people love history and the myths behind it

Level 12
I am kinda curious how will people even make mythology based races. I really have no inspiration myself.

I know what you mean. Mythology is very specific. It'll be difficult to find corresponding models to fit one particular mythos. I guess we'll see :p

You two are kidding me right?
Mythology will be a good practice for my knowledge in culture. (for me at least)
and besides some cultures have quite a lot of models.

Level 12
To be perfectly honest, I'm expecting a mishmash of random mythological creatures to come out of this, without much cohesion. I'd say I hope you guys prove me wrong, but honestly I'd just rather we did Elements instead :D

I'll prove you wrong

Also I have an Idea for the next contest:
Take all the themes that weren't chosen and use them as voting material?

Level 25
Voted for insurgence because I like the idea.

The mythology and alternate timeline are quite liberal with their theme imo, and as such should be quite hard to judge properly and/or decide what is and what isn't inside the theme.

Probably we will get this:
Spellbound said:
I'm expecting a mishmash of random mythological creatures to come out of this, without much cohesion

But hey, Spellbound and me may be wrong and I would like to see those entries since techtree contests usually produce interesting stuff.

Probably won't join, don't have the time, have fun to all the participants.

Mythology might be the broadest category ever. Our world is filled to the brim with old religions and cultures. If you feel limited, it is probably because you haven't dug very deep. We should easily be able to see a contest without a single of the major mythologies (north germanic, greek, egyptian, ect) and still have every single contestant have a unique one. Honestly, might just make a list, so all you uninspired guys get to see just how many possibilities there actually is.

The mythology and alternate timeline are quite liberal with their theme imo, and as such should be quite hard to judge properly and/or decide what is and what isn't inside the theme.

Mythology should probably tell which cultures/mythoses they were inspired by. Alternate timeline should be able to tell what changed the timeline (which major events went differently, ect).

Also, if mythology gets chosen, I want to see someone create a cthulhu race. (Actually, now that I think about it, got at great Idea for this one, so might go with this if mythology theme gets chosen)

Edit: List of mythologies that came to mind:

Semitic paganism
Sumerian civilization
Phoenician civilization
Mesopotanian paganism
Aboriginal American
Aboriginal Australian
Cult of Dhul Khalasa
Ḥashashīn
Albanian mythology
Armenian mythology
Baltic mythology
Basque mythology
Celtic polytheism
Haitian mythology
Etruscan mythology
Finnic mythologies
Georgian mythology
Germanic paganism
Ancient Greek religion
Norse mythology
Roman and Greek mythology
Slavic paganism
Vainakh mythology
Mayan mythology
Salvadoran mythology‎
Mesoamerican mythology and religion‎
Mapuche religion
Arawak and Taino myths

Cultures and mythos from fiction
Cthulhu Mythos

set a pin on a map, and chances are they have a long history of religion of culture

Last edited:
Level 12
Mythology might be the broadest category ever. Our world is filled to the brim with old religions and cultures. If you feel limited, it is probably because you haven't dug very deep. We should easily be able to see a contest without a single of the major mythologies (north germanic, greek, egyptian, ect) and still have every single contestant have a unique one. Honestly, might just make a list, so all you uninspired guys get to see just how many possibilities there actually is.

Mythology should probably tell which cultures/mythoses they were inspired by. Alternate timeline should be able to tell what changed the timeline (which major events went differently, ect).

Also, if mythology gets chosen, I want to see someone create a cthulhu race.

I agree and I hope people can broaden themselves on such matter
If someone creates a Cthulhu Mythos race will be a hero in my book.

I think I've identified why I'm not into Mythology as a theme for this contest: you have restrictions. There is a 'frame' that you cannot cross, and so to me this feels like your creativity is being boxed into this already-established lore (some might say that's a plus as it cuts down on brainstorming time since all the 'material' is already there if you research). It's only saving grace to me is that there is opportunity for you to be creative with your interpretation of the lore but there's also the possibility of not having enough models for the more obscure, more interesting mythologies.

Idk. We'll see I guess :p

Level 21
Yes yes there are a lot of mythologies on our planet, that is not an issue at all. But I am not in the mood to research a whole new mythology when I already have a lot of things to study. So realistically choices most people will pick are the celebrity mythologies like Greeks, Egyptians and Norse as they are known the most. I mean people will want to make what they have at least heard of. And most of the listed mythologies lack resources. Not talking only about mythological beings, deities and heroes, but also the architecture. This will put people with no modeling skills at disadvantage to say the least. But hey that is just me, nobody is forcing me to compete I'll just watch this contest from sidelines instead.

Also why are Assassins listed as mythology?

Level 12
Yes yes there are a lot of mythologies on our planet, that is not an issue at all. But I am not in the mood to research a whole new mythology when I already have a lot of things to study. So realistically choices most people will pick are the celebrity mythologies like Greeks, Egyptians and Norse as they are known the most. I mean people will want to make what they have at least heard of. And most of the listed mythologies lack resources. Not talking only about mythological beings, deities and heroes, but also the architecture. This will put people with no modeling skills at disadvantage to say the least. But hey that is just me, nobody is forcing me to compete I'll just watch this contest from sidelines instead.

I see
That's a shame but we will need to see how the contest will continue

Also why are Assassins listed as mythology?

What?

Research is so annoying :p Honestly for me it's more a freedom problem. With Elements I can just do whatever I want. With Mythology you need to be rather specific. And yeah, architectures and stuff would be a hindrance if you're not a modeller.

I feel like Mythology would be a theme more suited towards a team-based contest rather than solo person, but oh well, at least for contest 11 we won't have to deal with it lol.

I find it very funny how Ḥashashīn (Assassins) are bigger stretch than Cthulhu mythos on the list (double the fun when you realize that Cthulhu is not actually in Cthulhu mythos pantheon).

And yes speaking about list made by The Silent.

There is no gods in the cthulhu mythos. Only forces way beyond our comprehension. So yeah. My list was just ideas because people seemed to be complaining about a lack of freedom.

Level 21
There is no gods in the cthulhu mythos. Only forces way beyond our comprehension. So yeah. My list was just ideas because people seemed to be complaining about a lack of freedom.

Wait the "Outer Gods" are not gods? Mythological gods are beings beyond our comprehension. And pretty sure you can even form a pantheon with Azatoth being creator god and grandson Nyralothep being the trickster god etc. Cthulhu is a "High Priest of the Great Old Ones" so he isn't a god like the actual powerful entities in misnamed "Cthulhu mythos".

Honestly Cthulhu mythos aren't really that different from Egyptian and Greek mythology when you read about Chaos, primordial gods and titans for Greeks and the Ennead gods for Egypt.

Gr8 job complaining about the theme during the poll and not the actual theme discussion. Still, valid pointd have been raised so I think there's one fair way to weasel out of the theme, and thats to gauge how many of its voters will actually participate
And yeah I know it is pointless to complain now but I was busy during the theme decisions topic. Besides democracy wants mythology.

Gr8 job complaining about the theme during the poll and not the actual theme discussion. Still, valid pointd have been raised so I think there's one fair way to weasel out of the theme, and thats to gauge how many of its voters will actually participate

Well I didn't talk about mythology in the discussion because I never thought it would be that popular. I guess the fact that it didn't even think about it once during the discussion proves how much I care about the theme lol.

But yeah, too late now.

Level 12
Just so you all know: the Voting ends on February 1st 2016 (Next Monday on Brazilian Timezone)
So until then, talk all you want!

Also I've edited the Mythology simple table and added new details and fixed a typo.

EDIT:Fixed another Typo

Last edited:
Wait the "Outer Gods" are not gods? Mythological gods are beings beyond our comprehension. And pretty sure you can even form a pantheon with Azatoth being creator god and grandson Nyralothep being the trickster god etc. Cthulhu is a "High Priest of the Great Old Ones" so he isn't a god like the actual powerful entities in misnamed "Cthulhu mythos".

Honestly Cthulhu mythos aren't really that different from Egyptian and Greek mythology when you read about Chaos, primordial gods and titans for Greeks and the Ennead gods for Egypt.

Only if you start adding something to the mythos that is simply not there, like Derleth tried to (and failed miserably at. But cudos to him for trying to categorize the "unimaginable, incomprehensible, ect."). That would be pure fan fiction. There is forces and creatures outside human comprehension, and every time a human (inside the mythos) tries to come to terms with this, they go bonkers. There is no structure to them, "old ones, elder gods, old gods, great old ones", were used more or less interchangeably by Lovecraft and to describe wildly different things. You can obviously equate those forces to gods, and create a pantheon out of those "gods", but yeah, that would be something of your own creation. Anyway, if there is anything further to discuss about the Cthulhu Mythos, we should move it away from this thread. It is just off topic enough to derail it.

Hive uses CET +1.

Level 12
Brazilian Calendar? I thought Brazil used Georgian/Revised Julian Calendar like every other western nation.

Probably meaning Time Zone and I forgot which one Hive uses.

Yeah Timezone
My bad

Only if you start adding something to the mythos that is simply not there, like Derleth tried to (and failed miserably at. But cudos to him for trying to categorize the "unimaginable, incomprehensible, ect."). That would be pure fan fiction. There is forces and creatures outside human comprehension, and every time a human (inside the mythos) tries to come to terms with this, they go bonkers. There is no structure to them, "old ones, elder gods, old gods, great old ones", were used more or less interchangeably by Lovecraft and to describe wildly different things. You can obviously equate those forces to gods, and create a pantheon out of those "gods", but yeah, that would be something of your own creation. Anyway, if there is anything further to discuss about the Cthulhu Mythos, we should move it away from this thread. It is just off topic enough to derail it.

Hive uses CET +1.

I agree with you

does the contest map have to be under 8mb?

The limit of the map is 8mb

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Late explanation of my vote: I voted Elementals. It's not my first pick, but it was tying to win at the time & I can maybe think of a few ideas for it (though honestly, restricting it to only four? Sure recipe for repeats).

For the record, I see absolutely no issue whatsoever with repeating previous Contest Themes. They were popular once, they can be popular again; many people didn't have a chance to join in back then, moreover, and so if people want it, there should be no compunction whatsoever about re-suggesting Themes.

From the Previous (Discussion) Topic:
Astaroth Zion said:
Lets Make the TechTree GRAND CHALLENGE Contest

Said that, I was thinking that one of the reasons that TechTreeContests tend to have so many abandoned entries (and few contestants to start) is the overwhelming amount of work that is needed to produce a good entry. Main game play mechanics' coding, 3D modelling (editing or creating new resources), 2D art (adjusting or recoloring), Abilities Coding, Game Balancing, etc.

In the end, this type of contest may end up being one of the most complex and all-round challenges at the Hive, and we should treat it as such. What I mean is that to produce top-notch entries and to rise it's popularity we could turn this contest into a community effort. Bringing people together from different backgrounds to compete into a team challenge, for example:
A 3 people team: Game Editor and Balancer, Coder, and 3D/2D artist.
We could even make a rooster with incomplete teams or single contestants to announce their skill area and find complementary teammates, also we could allow team member replacement if one contestant voluntary withdraws to keep its team on the race.
I think this is a fantastic idea. We had something akin to this in the ill-fated "THW Race Olympics", but I honestly think it could work, given the right constraints (specifically, only allowing 2-man teams (Artist & Coder, essentially)). Two people more than doubles the potential issues that can arise, but it also allows for some really amazing collaboration & entries.

Some of all-time favorite Contests (over at Wc3C, pretty much), both to watch & to participate in, have been these "grand challenges" with teamed contestants; the Hero Contests of Wc3C were of biblical proportions. A Techtree or Hero Contest of that nature here? Be still, my beating heart.

(seriously, I think I might draft up a "Hero Contest #X" thread, just so no one can beat me to it xD We need this.)

Spellbound said:
As far as mini-races go, I'm ok with that, seeing as how time-consuming making an entire race can be. A less taxing contest might bring in more contestants too, albeit it might not be as fun as the other ideas. Wc3 is high fantasy after all, and high fantasy loves to be grandiose :p
I am a huge fan of Mini/Partial-Races (like Naga, or bigger if necessary).
  • Less work for Contestants to make
    • Encourages more Contestants to join
    • Faster turn-around time (so more Contests, sooner)
  • Less work for people to test & then Vote on
    • Encourages more people to Vote & Vote meaningfully, rather than superficially ("oh man, look at that cool model! *vote*")
  • Less work for Judges to test & Judge
    • Better, faster judging because it takes less time
Just better overall.

GhostThruster said:
not a fan of mini-race theme. we had an entire debate last contest about the fact that techtree contestants should be able to always choose the size and shape of their entry. pharaoh himself agreed that contestants should be able to choose for themselves.
Pharaoh is gone. And while I'm normally a big stickler for "consistency" in these Contests (i.e. everyone should be trying to make the same kind of thing, so we don't have Hero Contests with "AoS hero vs. standard melee Hero vs. DotA hero" and Techtree Contests with "mini-race vs. full-race"), going mini-race might be my only option for joining (see above), so since it hasn't been stipulated I am probably going to run with it, despite the inherent issues. I'll save my soap-boxing for the real conversation. : )

BlackRangerXIII said:
Spellbound said:
Yeah but what if the resources are created specifically for this map by a third party? Would those be allowed?
So long that Third Party is Credited as a resource sharer not as part of a team
I am afraid of a Contest which allows custom resources; as has been pointed out, not all races have equal representation, making it overly difficult for some (though, it could be argued, that is purely an internal conflict decided upon by the Contestant rather than imposed externally; "if it's too hard, pick another race").

No Imports (or perhaps Limited (1-3?) Imports) has been a wonderful method of maintaining equality (and/or while allowing some elbow room for cool resources). Please don't give me the bit about "we already did 'no import'!"; first of all "No Imports" is not even a Thematic constraint, but rather a Design(-space) constraint (not about the Style of Contest, but rather how it's run & the rules governing it), second of all see the top of my post.

From This Topic
That can be
However it's best we left it as one pick when voting to avoid a draw between themes
If there's under 10 themes, multipoll usually ain't a good idea.

Exactly my point. Draws are a non-issue; they can arise no matter what kind of Poll you have, and it's a simple matter to ask around in a pseudo-vote or even run another quick Poll. Preferential Voting (i.e. through a multi-vote poll) is simply superior in nearly every way to the alternatives.

I would've voted for Alliance or Insurgence as those were the coolest & best fit for me, but they were doing so badly in the Polls I decided to put my vote into Elementals (kinda have an idea for them, maybe), where it might actually count (which, as it turned out, didn't matter).

I know what you mean. Mythology is very specific. It'll be difficult to find corresponding models to fit one particular mythos. I guess we'll see :p
Mythology might be the broadest category ever. ...set a pin on a map, and chances are they have a long history of religion of culture
Yeah, I'm glad The_Silent was here to do the job I was too lazy to do; "mythology" is INCREDIBLY broad. Literally every country has a handful, and going back into history you can add exponentially more to that list. Sure, many will default to the classic/well-known Greek/Norse/Egyptian (I know I might; I loved Age of Mythology, after all :p), but many others will choose to be inspired by some of the more esoteric choices... and all the better.

Also I have an Idea for the next contest:
Take all the themes that weren't chosen and use them as voting material?
Yeah, that's usually how these things go... If anyone remembers, that is. But there's no reason to neglect previous suggestions.

Gr8 job complaining about the theme during the poll and not the actual theme discussion.
Well if he was anything like me, he is simply too busy to be checking all over the site for new developments like this. It happens, but I don't begrudge him the opportunity to voice concerns. : )

I think I've identified why I'm not into Mythology as a theme for this contest: you have restrictions. There is a 'frame' that you cannot cross, and so to me this feels like your creativity is being boxed into this already-established lore (some might say that's a plus as it cuts down on brainstorming time since all the 'material' is already there if you research).
I'm not sure if you were around for our previous conversation(s)... But if you were, you would've heard me harp time and time again: "Constraints breed Creativity". I am a firm believer in the reality that, given a blank sheet of paper, even the most "creative" among us would be stymied; it is only in constraints that true creativity/originality/uniqueness is found.

Religiously as well as metaphysically as well as scientifically, I don't believe in "creatio ex nihilo"; nothing is created out of nothing. Everything exists as a combination of existing elements & influences. Nothing is truly 'new' in the sense of "no part of this has ever existed"; it's more like "this thing is a combination of existing elements not seen in quite this fashion". And that can best happen when constraints exist. Whether it's time, design-space, thematic or stylistic, constraints make the creativity & thus, the Contest.

Now, I'm sure we can agree that there is such a thing as "too many" Constraints... But I hope you can be convinced that "having restrictions" is a necessary, even preferable state of affairs. Creativity isn't not having a box; it's having the just the right box. In the case of mythology, that box is wiiiiide open; make a race of various mythological creatures! Make a race of humans/whatever that worship/turn into/sacrifice their gods! Make a race which features Grecian pantheons or Samoan hakas or Egyptian river rituals or Africans spiritual entreaties or Nordic war-chants or all of the above! Take various combinations of the above and you already have 32 different combos; plenty for the one of the most successfully-attended Contests this site has ever seen! : )

There's more to be said, but it's late, and I think I'm coming down with something. Interested to see how this goes.

"mythology" is INCREDIBLY broad
Doesn't refute what I said. I said it was specific. My concern is mostly about all the research you have to do and the availability of custom models. Are you telling me there are enough models on the Hive to create a 10 - 12 unit race with corresponding buildings based on ancient persian mythology (or something)? Highly doubt it.

"Constraints breed Creativity"
I'll grant you that, constraint does breed creativity. But Mythology is a particular set of constraints that to me is just not worth banging your head against to find the creativity in it.

given a blank sheet of paper, even the most "creative" among us would be stymied
Let's agree to disagree :p

No Imports (or perhaps Limited (1-3?) Imports) has been a wonderful method of maintaining equality (and/or while allowing some elbow room for cool resources). Please don't give me the bit about "we already did 'no import'!"; first of all "No Imports" is not even a Thematic constraint, but rather a Design(-space) constraint (not about the Style of Contest, but rather how it's run & the rules governing it), second of all see the top of my post.

Honestly not going to join if it becomes a non-import contest. It is too much of a constraint on creativity. Also, how is a limit of resources for specific races a argument for limiting them even further? I get that it is about equal footing, but honestly, there will never be equal footing. People has different skills. If custom resources is removed, then the best coders will win, obviously. You cannot punish people for having different focuses and skill sets. Not joining if it becomes a purist - No import, no coding, ect. either. It is bad contest design in my book. It is a romantic idea that the product will be better because it is simpler, and no, that is not how it works in wc3.

Level 12
Honestly not going to join if it becomes a non-import contest. It is too much of a constraint on creativity. Also, how is a limit of resources for specific races a argument for limiting them even further? I get that it is about equal footing, but honestly, there will never be equal footing. People has different skills. If custom resources is removed, then the best coders will win, obviously. You cannot punish people for having different focuses and skill sets. Not joining if it becomes a purist - No import, no coding, ect. either. It is bad contest design in my book. It is a romantic idea that the product will be better because it is simpler, and no, that is not how it works in wc3.

You actually took the words out of my mouth.
Simplicity is bad in my book too

Last edited:
Level 25
You actually took the words out of my mouth.

Here's a decision: No imports contest are forbidden and banned for the Tech tree contests

Extreme's are always bad, and don't think that i say that because i won the no import techtree last time.
No imports imposes a constraint in the same way a theme does, to ban it is kind of hypocritical.
Both ends favor a different kind of people, so I see no reason why not to include one or the other from time to time (no imports or full imports or partial imports) in order to let everyone have fun from time to time.

Mythology will favor those who can make the models/skins themselves for example, while pretty much every other wouldn't because of the resources which fit in on the THW.

But i do not understand why is this being discussed here atm, as pointed out the discussions should have been had in the discussion thread :p
That is my view on the matter, I won't join in any further discussions since I will not be participating in this one.

Edit:

As a last point I will mention that the last no import contest (#6) had 10 entries, unlike the previous contests (9, 8, 7) which had a total of 10 entries combined (3+4+3) so it was in fact the most popular techtree contest recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.