• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Tech Tree Contest #10: Theme Poll

Select your theme

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Extreme's are always bad, and don't think that i say that because i won the no import techtree last time.
No imports imposes a constraint in the same way a theme does, to ban it is kind of hypocritical.
Both ends favor a different kind of people, so I see no reason why not to include one or the other from time to time (no imports or full imports or partial imports) in order to let everyone have fun from time to time.

Mythology will favor those who can make the models/skins themselves for example, while pretty much every other wouldn't because of the resources which fit in on the THW.

But i do not understand why is this being discussed here atm, as pointed out the discussions should have been had in the discussion thread :p
That is my view on the matter, I won't join in any further discussions since I will not be participating in this one.

Edit:

As a last point I will mention that the last no import contest (#6) had 10 entries, unlike the previous contests (9, 8, 7) which had a total of 10 entries combined (3+4+3) so it was in fact the most popular techtree contest recently.

You're right
Going extreme won't help

As a last point I will mention that the last no import contest (#6) had 10 entries, unlike the previous contests (9, 8, 7) which had a total of 10 entries combined (3+4+3) so it was in fact the most popular techtree contest recently.

Wc3's dwindling popularity has nothing to do with this, obviously :p

Last edited:
Level 25
Wc3's swindling popularity has nothing to do with this, obviously :p

True, but the point stands that some people enjoyed the idea of the no imports and might have only joined because of it.

Anyway I was just using it as an argument to bolster my point that banning in any way (full imports or no imports) for future techtree contests as a rule of the contest and not a theme of it serves no purpose but to alienate people who might excel at one field or another.

Level 12
True, but the point stands that some people enjoyed the idea of the no imports and might have only joined because of it.

Anyway I was just using it as an argument to bolster my point that banning in any way (full imports or no imports) for future techtree contests as a rule of the contest and not a theme of it serves no purpose but to alienate people who might excel at one field or another.

All right you just got it
so any of you just
Stop it and start discussing about how will the future themes will work please

Level 14
I'm kinda sad that i missed out on the discussion before the polls, but I'm kind of inactive so there it is...

Reading through the threads, I couldn't help but remember the struggle we went trough with the 6th, and 8th contest theme discussion. It feels like it was a lifetime ago! To avoid unnecessary arguing I will just write my personal preferences as a potential contestant, and whatever the outcome of the poll will be I will adapt.

I think no imports is a great restriction for a contest that is supposed to be oriented around gameplay and race mechanics. I say this because as a less artistic person, TT contest 6 was all about the interesting gameplay elements i can implement, I didn't need to worry about researching for that one fancy model that can fit. So if there was to be a no import contest again, i would be happy to enter.

I personally think finding your mythology specific models is just as hard as finding the futuristic ones, if you dig deeper than the hydra model for greek myth. Even if it is easier, from my point of view the difference is not significant. Another reason i wouldn't like mythology to be the theme, is that it doesn't inspire me. A mythology race would leave not many things to explore. Its already there, the question is how well you can turn it into a playable Warcraft race.

My preferred one: I would love to see a Nomad TT contest come to life! I think it holds a lot of interesting questions to be answered (gameplay-vise), it is a great challenge to balance it. You could give it any face you want. The nomad element of the race could differ in entries, since it can be interpreted many ways! A counterpoint however is that as challenging it is, the number of potential contestants could be scared away by its complexity.

As for the other themes, I'm neutral. If I enter the contest, I will make my own idea work with the theme, which Is a mythological pilgrim earthbender murloc race!!

I hope i was clear that these are my own preferences, and I most likely they don't represent the majority's standpoint.

As my brain slowly dies of sleep deprivation, I heard about mythology being the probable theme for this upcoming contest and drafted up a concept art for a techtree which raised an interesting question for me.

Between the hours of 2 and 4 am I came up with this idea for a race based around the mythological bird, the Phoenix. The sleep deprivation runs strong with this one (and some vulgarity, as a warning, which perhaps should be removed? It was intended to be thematic in a 2:00 AM sort of way). However, here's my question: is the contest a contest of work, or of ideas? Because I created this idea now, while the contest has not started, but it is merely an idea. None of it has been implemented in the Warcraft III game. Does that mean I would be allowed to make it as a submission?

Attachments

• Phoenix Race.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 66
Level 12
As my brain slowly dies of sleep deprivation, I heard about mythology being the probable theme for this upcoming contest and drafted up a concept art for a techtree which raised an interesting question for me.

Between the hours of 2 and 4 am I came up with this idea for a race based around the mythological bird, the Phoenix. The sleep deprivation runs strong with this one (and some vulgarity, as a warning, which perhaps should be removed? It was intended to be thematic in a 2:00 AM sort of way). However, here's my question: is the contest a contest of work, or of ideas? Because I created this idea now, while the contest has not started, but it is merely an idea. None of it has been implemented in the Warcraft III game. Does that mean I would be allowed to make it as a submission?

You'll need to create the race for warcraft 3, and the idea need to be based on Warcraft 3's ratings (T for Teen)

You sound like you're hoping for the removal of the vulgarity, then.
I'll probably just put like 'friggin-awesome' and 'overpowered' instead. I was mostly just looking for something that would add an entertaining ridiculous-factor.

Edit: Uploaded cleaned version

Attachments

• Phoenix Race Cleaned.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Level 12
Allright everyone news:
February 1st 2016 starts the contest with the winner of the voting (Currently, and indisputed, winner is: Mythology)
Tomorrow January 31st 2016 at 3 pm Brazilian Standard Time. I'll submit the contest to the moderators.

Last edited:
Allright everyone news:
February 1st 2015 starts the contest with the winner of the voting (Currently, and indisputed, winner is: Mythology)
Tomorrow January 31st 2015 at 3 pm Brazilian Standard Time. I'll submit the contest to the moderators.

February 1st 2015?that has passed almost a year ago
Plus,January 31st 2015 is not tomorrow :vw_unimpressed:

Status
Not open for further replies.