• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Techtree Contest #8 - The Seal of Magus

Status
Not open for further replies.
160036-albums4747-picture59500.png

160036-albums4747-picture68128.png

160036-albums4747-picture68127.png

The Seal of Magus
Long ago, before the time begun, the gods had decided that in order to make the existence unique, they would split the planned races into different triangles, each of them representing their unique abilities. The triangles were sealed in a pentagram with ancient magic. No one really knows where the pentagram lies, but the gods made sure that the living creatures would not find it by chance. The exact qualities of each race still remain secret, but some wizards deciphered remnants of the old empire that were supposedly written by monks, who were devotees of the gods.

Enu-Xa

Ain-Ha

Lain-Eo

Rain-Tak

Zan-Dek

Enu-Xa seal is alleged to have qualities that involve mystery, superstition and inner darkness. These qualities are most definitely the curse of the seal's races, but they are also attached to superior power when they are lurking in the shadows.
The Ain-Ha seal is bound to loyalty, order and conjunction. Rumors have it that it was destined for the human race, but somehow they were bestowed powers from Enu-Xa & Zan-Dek seals as well, thus making the human race one of the most complex races ever created.
Lain-Eo is the one bound with the spiritual world. In the beginning of time, the dying units were not supposed to leave traces on the world and the fact that spirits were a reflection of the past was only a mishap of conjuration. Lain-Eo symbolizes the past, the future, the present. It has to do with time and death alike.
Rain-Tak has been given the label "lucrative". It symbolizes the ability to go beyond what is visible and perceivable. It is related to inner sight, evolution and discretion.
Zan-Dek is associated with defensive instincts. It is commonly known as "Spirit of Battle" and it represents lack of courage, thorough planning and strategy. Despite the word that is used to describe it, "instincts", it mostly regards voluntary action.
Your task is to pick one of the seals and create a race that responds with the philosophy of the selected seal. The seals hold indirect messages as to what you may focus on, depending on your very personal preferences.
  • For example, the Zan-Dek race is related to Strategy. Therefore, if we have a look at the Criteria's table, we will see how The Legion is heavily affected. Additionally, Rain-Tak speaks of evolution, so you could pick a futuristic race here. These are mere suggestions, but they display the spirit of the contest.

160036-albums4747-picture59725.png

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • If a submission does not follow the map submission rules the creator will be disqualified.
  • Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
    • Several screenshots of race in action.
    • The file in the appropriate format.
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that its yours.
  • Your final submission must be bug free enough to test and play.
  • The features that may be edited are:
    • Gameplay constants
    • Game interface
    • Object editor
    • Trigger editor
    • Sound editor
  • The map's terrain may not be edited. The current four melee races may not be edited; copy and paste the default units you are about to edit.
  • Participants must download the (to be provided) template map, edit it and then resubmit it as their entry.
  • Your submission may not be started before the official launch of the contest.
  • The final submission must bear the contest's number and type, along with your nickname, e.g. Techtree Contest 8 - [Nickname]

160036-albums4747-picture59735.png

• First Place: 50 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 35 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 20 reputation points and an award icon

160036-albums4747-picture59734.png

None yet! If you are interested in judging, please contact me.

160036-albums4747-picture59736.png

Gameplay
How fun the gameplay is; does the race itself offer various features to experiment with?/15

Balance
How easily can the race stand against the default races? Is it particularly easy to wipe out or too hard to confront?/10

The Legion
Are the roles of the warriors shared in a flat manner, are they getting too repetitive or each of them plays a unique and significant role in the battlegrounds?/10

Concept
How well is the concept of the race executed in regards to the represented seal?/15

Appearance
How does the final output look? Did it achieve to surpass the common appearance that the contestant had to suffer?/10
Total Score/60
  • 70 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 30 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.

160036-albums4747-picture59727.png

• The contest shall begin on 14th of April, 2013 and conclude on 28th of May, 2013 GMT

Last edited:
Level 6
Wow awesome contest concept!! :D
Really looking forward to seeing how different ppl will interpret it, you left the options specific enough to give them inspiration and open enough for plenty creative freedom, just perfect! ;)

This wont be easy for the judge(s)^^

PS, on judging criteria:
Appearance: How does the final output look? Did it achieve to surpass the common appearance that the contestant had to suffer?
The underlined sentence seems weird for more than one reason, and impossible for me to understand :p

Did the final product manage to make it's appearance better than what the contestant had to suffer??? i don't understand that :p

Edit #4 or smth^^
ooooh now i understand lol...you mean if it looks better than the techtrees that the other contestants made right?
haha took some seriously frantic headscratching to get that one! ;P

Btw i kinda understood you meant offer and not suffer the whole time, but it was still confusing^^

Edit #4 or smth^^
ooooh now i understand lol...you mean if it looks better than the techtrees that the other contestants made right? haha took some time and headscratching to get that one! ;P

Common appearance refers to the default appearance of the races. For example, if the created race reminds us too much of the classical Orc race (in terms of appearance), points should be deducted, because the contestant most likely ignored this factor. ;)

Level 6
aaah! hahaha i still didn't get it then lol^^
But i do now ofc, maybe you could rephrase it to: "Does it differ enough from ur startpoint so that it looks more like it's own race instead of just an extension of the race you based ur techtree on?" then everyone should understand it i think, or maybe i'm just weird and unfamiliar with this contest lingo idk :p

judging criterias are retarded. /15 for gameplay rewards 67chromers (that is, contestants stuff in as many cool gimmicks as possible with little regard for balance), /15 for concept seems too much marks, especially consider you can pretty much only give '10 - follows concept, 5 - kinda follows, 0 - doesnt follow'. the legion is the worst criteria of them all; its redundant because balance and gameplay also marks the composition of the race and whether the units are balanced. imagine 2 criterias in an art contest that was like 'does it look good from this angle' and 'does it look good from that angle', when you can just have 'does it look good from all angles'. thats kinda like how the legion overlaps with gameplay and balance already.

imo judging (and ive said this before) should be like this:
Gameplay - /10 - was this race fun? Did this race have interesting mechanics?
Balance - /10 - was the race balanced compared to melee races, overall and individually in units?
Aesthetics - /10 - was this race good looking? did it look how it was supposed to look?
Concept - /10 - were the mechanics and aesthetics original? did the race follow the theme of the contest?

now each criteria is balanced, so you cant go simply forgo one criteria and get more marks in another.

anyhow, i might join

Level 18
Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
1) Yay, techtree contest! No time, but I always like these.

2) Boo, not Warcraft races. I never get tired of those. :p

2b) Still, creative to try and and come up with a set of "generic fantasy" races. I actually really like the creativity required to use the Wc3 models in a non-Wc3 race (makes for some interesting combinations). However, over-use of the hyphen's, a bit.

3) Ok, seriously, who writes these contest headers? I mean no offense, but the English is overall quite confusing. It's all using the right words, but not in all the right places, and with some strange idiosyncrasies that really cloud up what's being said.
I would totally not mind if someone were found to just re-write sections of the starter post for clarity and conciseness. Wouldn't need much, just some prompting about what was really intended (since that is, as aforementioned, unclear). Heck, I'll do it if you want. Here's a whack (assuming this is a non-Azeroth-based mythology):
Rewrite said:
The Pantheon of Titans that created Azeroth have created countless worlds across countless eons. This is one of those creations.

Long ago, on the world of Magus, the Titans wanted to create life of a wholly different sort; instead of creating stock races to populate a world, they created a world where the values of men would direct their culture. Each 'type' manifested in a set of three, and five such races were created, thus forming a perfect pentagon. This pentagon, with all the races' strengths and facets, was carved onto a sacred stone and hidden by the Titans. While legends passed down from magicians and monks speak of its existence, the legend has faded into myth over the centuries. Because of this, each race has had to rise and fall ignorant of their true purpose; wars have been fought and kingdoms have fallen due to ideology alone.

To which of these races will you be champion?
There. I tried to make it somewhat relevant to Wc3 in some small way. Yeah, I'm rusty, but you get the idea. :p

3b) In particular the descriptions of the races (arguably the most important part, since that's what is not only what is providing inspiration, but is part of the criteria for which they are being judged) is limited and slightly un-inspiring. It'd be good to have a solid paragraph or two on each of the races to be built, in order to reasonably provide inspiration.
It wouldn't hurt to base this strongly off of M:tG's "Ravnica" block (as so linked by Astaroth above), since that seems like what you're trying to do. Concise, differentiated, unique and creative factions, each with a clear constituency, modus operandi, and purpose.

4) I too am confused by the judging criteria, and in an effort to stop what happened with the Mini-Modelling Contest, would like to start this thing off right before people get too invested. GhostThruster had an excellent model; Wc3C-Contests are also a good resource.

5) Are we allowed imports? In my opinion, the answer should be "Limited Yes" if not "No". There are so many interesting used & unused models in the normal game, and since this isn't supposed to "fit in" with the other four as a "5th race addition" (just be balanced according to them, IIRC), we can really get snappy. "Limited Yes" would be just for hero-glow, minor model updates, maybe one cool model, etc.

6) More critera confusion... It needs to be stated how many units/buildings/heroes/etc should be created. Obviously there can be some 'wiggle-room' (i.e. 8-10 units, 4-6 bldgs, etc), but at least give us some direction, or else you will have too wide a variety, making judging and polling a nightmare. Some consistency; perhaps "similar to the Naga mini-campaign-race in War3:TFT" (since I personally believe entire techtrees are quite difficult to consistently make, a mini-techtree contest is more than sufficient).

7) (After writing the above) So who/what/where exactly is "Magus"?

Overall, looks interesting. Can't wait to see what happens.

Last edited:
3) the descriptions are meant to be vague and not meant to be set in warcraft 3. i agree that they are confusing though, and overlap a bit. way i see it, just go mtg and do black (death), white (en masse), green (strength), red (chaos), blue (control) instead of all those fancy 'ehk-banaknak' seal names.
6) this is why i want 'the legion' to be gone. its not about the number of units, its about a race's strategic depth and capabilities vs other races (which are already covered by gameplay and balance respectively). right now, even if you have 1
7) i believe its left vague on purpose, along with the entire descriptions, to allow participants to innovate and interpret themselves.

Level 14
Art Concept contest, Techtree contest and the mini-mapping contest that should start in 7 days.... TOO MANY CONTESTS TO JOIN!

p.s. Creative concept Pharaoh.

Imagine how fun it would be if all entries could somehow be imported into 1 map and actually made use of the races in the future. (because as we know after a race contest the great/not so great races go to oblivion)

I will upload the map in a minute.

As for the other concerns,

1) Magic the gathering's stuff is unfamiliar to me, it only shows me how unoriginal I was.
2) I made up this lore in like 6 minutes (with the time it took me to type it as well).
3) The fact that certain criteria are overrated should tell you something: we are in the need to see more gameplay tactics, which is why the Gameplay is heavily affecting the final score. Everybody can make a playable race, but can you make a unique race in terms of gameplay? If the crafted race is uninspiring and intensively rings a bell of the default WarCraft gameplay, I am sorry, but I can only see the standards of this contest to fall directly into a pit of abyss.

As for The Legion, it's placed there, so that you are given three standards: i) You are not bound or limited to create buildings and units that are equal to the total amount of a classical WarCraft III race (heroes as well). ii) The freedom of choosing the amount of units in your race may be your positive or the negative aspect in your race, which is why the criterion of The Legion exists (balanced/imbalanced-race issues may come up). Finally, it reflects the originality of each unit-type that you are using, so that the judge can have a spot to review the uniqueness of each unit that you have created.

Additionally, the Concept gets 15 points for this contest only, because it has to make sense with the selected seal. More points into a criterion denote extra caution required from the contestant.

Level 14
Good luck to all who participate.

I won't be joining this however. I still feel the crap the last judge gave me when he said I have no siege unit, when my freakin' super unit was using siege damage, had aura that damaged buildings and an entangle-like spell that damaged building and stopped it from producing units...With a person that blind I wouldn't risk of wasting A LOT of time on a techtree contest ever again, if the same judge is put to this one of course. (nothing personal)

Level 20
Good luck to all who participate.

I won't be joining this however. I still feel the crap the last judge gave me when he said I have no siege unit, when my freakin' super unit was using siege damage, had aura that damaged buildings and an entangle-like spell that damaged building and stopped it from producing units...With a person that blind I wouldn't risk of wasting A LOT of time on a techtree contest ever again, if the same judge is put to this one of course. (nothing personal)

Wow that must have really, really pissed you off (I would be too if I was in your case)

@pharaoh: imo its harder to make a balanced race than a fun race. it is more consistent and fair to have each criteria be worth the same.

as for the legion i)if theres no limit than the legion has just lost one of its factors already ii) the amount/roles of units in a race already affects balance and gameplay; the legion is redundant iii) originality of units would be split in gameplay and concept. at least i believe race mechanics should be marked conceptually, as well as in terms of fun factor.

@lordkoon: refer to VM, please talk to me via VM so as to avoid a fight in this thread. also lol that was one line of judging ur going on about. you didnt lose points for a lack of a siege unit, you lost points for much worse things mate.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
1) Magic the gathering's stuff is unfamiliar to me, it only shows me how unoriginal I was.
Oh no, it's not unoriginal at all (if anything, my suggestion to more closely copy them was :p). Remember, nothing is truly "new" anymore; creativity is the creative combination & application of existing elements. The race ideas are (probably) fine; it's just the way they are presented makes it nearly impossible to make something cohesive or sense-making from them.

Pharaoh said:
3) The fact that certain criteria are overrated should tell you something...
As for The Legion, it's placed there, so that you are given three standards...
Additionally, the Concept gets 15 points for this contest only...
Be that as it may, I still feel that the criteria should be shifted a bit. Also, it isn't "binding" or "limiting" to have criteria of unit-counts or such; that just helps us keep things sane. I don't personally want to test & vote on a race with more than 12 or so units. Also, if I choose to make a simple race (say, 4-6 units, 1 hero, etc), it will look bad in comparison to someone that made more, no matter how poorly they do or how well I do. Standardizing the amount of units helps keep that in check.

Pharaoh said:
2) I made up this lore in like 6 minutes (with the time it took me to type it as well).
... OK, well that's unfortunate. I know you've got a life, so if you needed to take more time to gather your thoughts for the faction-concepts, that would've been fine. :<

Again, I offer to do a quick rewrite. It wouldn't take me all that long, if I had a better idea of what you were looking for. Case in point:
First Post said:
Zan-Dek is associated with defensive instincts. It is commonly known as "Spirit of Battle" and it represents lack of courage, thorough planning and strategy. Despite the word that is used to describe it, "instincts", it mostly regards voluntary action.
What exactly is the "Zan-Dek" supposed to be like?? This tiny paragraph contains more contradictions than concept; How is the faction associated with the "Spirit of Battle" known for "defensive" and "lack of courage"? Moreover, the "Instincts" really means the opposite; "planning/strategy" and "voluntary action". As a potential contestant, I'd love to pick them; I just don't want to get docked Concept points for doing the wrong things. :< Does that make sense?

Possible Rewrite said:
Zan-Dek
The Zan-Dek are a martial culture, raised from their youth in the ways of combat. Glorious honor is sought through battle, and a variety of strategems are put to use in achieving this. The Zan-Dek are above all forms of lower combat; at it's pinnacle, war is seen as communion with their violent gods. The Spirit of Battle is said to enliven all who pray unto her with Sword and with Shield.
Taking the first idea ("Spirit of Battle"), I wrote that. Now, it's still a little too vague (IMO), but does that seem like what you were going for?

Just want to ask one thing:
for enu-xa I guess it should be some kind of undead/chaos/twilight/skeletor army please response to this fast!

Chaos responds to Enu-Xa & Lain-Eo (because some theories mention that before the beginning of time there was darkness, chaos. It regards both the beginning of time (Lain-Eo) and darkness (Enu-Xa)). The undead/skeletons have to do with death, so that would be Lain-Eo (it has to do with time and death alike).

Kyrbi0 said:
What exactly is the "Zan-Dek" supposed to be like?? This tiny paragraph contains more contradictions than concept; How is the faction associated with the "Spirit of Battle" known for "defensive" and "lack of courage"? Moreover, the "Instincts" really means the opposite; "planning/strategy" and "voluntary action". As a potential contestant, I'd love to pick them; I just don't want to get docked Concept points for doing the wrong things. :< Does that make sense?

Its concept is as plain as the description, it has to do with defenses. A race that would most likely support allies with barriers, etc.; a race that focuses more on the defense than offense (after all, 'the best offense is defense'); a race that has to make its path with a plan than directly facing the enemies (for instance, create a set of units with efficient defense to sustain damage, while you have your more important units do the rest); a race that enables different tactics, which allow you to switch from single-target abilities to AoE. A lot more can be made up, it's up to you. The general concept however is the aforementioned examples and it revolves around strategy.

Level 6
Based on Rain-Tek ..beyond visible.. in my interpretation.. INVISIBILITY..

So i am planning to create a techtree where all units can be invisible... SON'S OF THE WIND.. all are melee.. they are very fragile.. they have a concept of stealth attack.. so i am planning to create 5 types of units only..

The gameplay of this game would not be like a standard RTS and melee where you control bunch of units to take down enemies.. i want to create a techtree where 5 units and 1 hero is enough to take down a whole group of enemies..

The techtree is simple if you know how to SNEAK - ATTACK - RUN, you can win the game, but if you don't you will be defeated...

Also i am tired of watching peons gather gold from a gold mine going back and forth...

How about instead of gathering gold from gold mines.. You must STEAL GOLD?.. instead of Gather Resources.. you will use STEAL RESOURCES.. anyway Builders are Invisible..

Also i am planning to create melee units that can move instantly all over the map?.. but die easily.. so you must be careful when doing a massive attack.. make sure to take down enemy bases quicly before the reinforcements arrive..

Anyway your still playing melee just your race will have a very sneaky gameplay..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway for now i don't know if i will participate in the contest...

Last edited:
Level 14
Chaos responds to Enu-Xa & Lain-Eo (because some theories mention that before the beginning of time there was darkness, chaos. It regards both the beginning of time (Lain-Eo) and darkness (Enu-Xa)). The undead/skeletons have to do with death, so that would be Lain-Eo (it has to do with time and death alike).
I would like to make something with Lain-Eo, but it wouldnt be about chaos at all. Death, and time(+space) will play an important role in the gameplay tho. Only the race is not a bunch of undead skeletons, just normal creatures...( from another dimension.)

Is it good enough? Or must Lain-Eo contain chaos by all means?

after all, 'the best offense is defense'
How can you say something like this :'S It hurts my feelings :p

Level 14
after all, 'the best offense is defense'.
I am pretty sure it's the other way around. (altho it's a good strategy when investing in risky capitals, just saying)

@neo_sluf all invisible units would surely imbalance the race. The gameplay you describe seems to me not sneaky but rather...unseen at all. If even workers are invisible it will be like a ghost town building itself.

Level 6
I am pretty sure it's the other way around. (altho it's a good strategy when investing in risky capitals, just saying)

@neo_sluf all invisible units would surely imbalance the race. The gameplay you describe seems to me not sneaky but rather...unseen at all. If even workers are invisible it will be like a ghost town building itself.

Yes they are all invisible.. if they don't attack..

Their invisibility has a limit.. this techtree if not used well can be defeated within 15 minutes or less..

This techtree is just powerful on sneaking and offense but very weak on defense..

I want the player to challenge in sneaking gamestyle.. but remember that human,orc,night elves,undead can Reveal invisibility..

Level 18
I will upload the map in a minute.

As for the other concerns,

Pharaoh the concept of the contest is by far the most original of the all the ones I have participated in the HIVE.
I enjoy playing MTG and Warcraft, that is the only reason I linked two things that like. And most certainly I will be the only one developing a MTG concept :D

PS: I will be doing a Plant-Zombie race for Enu-Xa, and this will be my first hero-building Svogthos...

Image.ashx
=>
models_6847_screenshot_tnb.jpg

Last edited:
Level 4
It's been a long time, since I've visited The Hive.
I might as well join the contest,although still don't know which seal to choose.

Edit: I will try to make a blood elf/elf for the Ain-Ha seal. The concept is some bigger units, with summoning skills. The race might change over the process.

Last edited:
Just one last question, can I make lain-eo, like full chaos lava race, because I always imagine beggining like that. So I will do some king of Hell Army is that okey?

If they are skeletal, sure, it can be Lain-Eo. However, I suggest you shrouded the concept with the Zan-Dek seal. While they are lava-themed, you could create special lava pits which they manipulate to achieve advanced tactics ("Know your environment" - Ezreal, League of Legends). Therefore, you will create enhanced strategy aspects and you won't stick with the "lore" seal.

What about teamwork?

Teamwork is not allowed, only the 7th edition of this contest allowed teamwork.

Level 51
I think I've got a pretty interesting subject.

I'll go with Enu-Xa.

My race's going to be some kind of dark kind of race, which got an constant debuff, doing slow damage over time. To prevent this debuff, there are special units, which remove the debuff and replace them with certain buffs.
The key would be to always have these units by your side and protect them, as they can't attack for themself.

People I have one suggestion:
Because in countless contests we need to extend deadline, what is for my thinking not okey, can we do something like this.

If at least 4 or 5 people finished their work there will be no extended dead line, but if for excample only 2-3 finished there will be extended deadline, but those people who finished in time will have for excample bonus of 5 points. What you think?

EDIT: I belive to that will make all people work harder and behave more responsible.

Last edited:
People I have one suggestion:
Because in countless contests we need to extend deadline, what is for my thinking not okey, can we do something like this.

If at least 4 or 5 people finished their work there will be no extended dead line, but if for excample only 2-3 finished there will be extended deadline, but those people who finished in time will have for excample bonus of 5 points. What you think?

EDIT: I belive to that will make all people work harder and behave more responsible.

No. People who don't have the estimated time to compete should not compete at all. I won't be giving the fake impression that there will be multiple extensions, you need to learn working with deadlines.

Status
Not open for further replies.