1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Techtree Contest #5 - Innovation

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Pharaoh_, Jul 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 67chrome

67chrome

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Well, when the victory condition is to completely destroy your opponents with a bloody death and erase any trace of their existence by leveling their structures...

That sounds like a reasonable number. On a few melee games I've never gotten a third hero because it seemed the game would end to fast to make good use of them.

@ The World Is Flat: Sounds interesting. The one thing that sticks out as having major balance issues is making the worker the initial melee unit though. The attributes between workers and melee units are pretty different. Workers generally move pretty slowly while militant units move noticeably faster (which would in turn effect gold mining), workers have medium armor and melee units have large armor, workers can't deal damage worth peanuts under regular circumstances, etc. Also, starting out with 5 militant units gives a significant edge early game - rush tactics become insanely powerful. Having them be able to upgrade into a standard fighter alleviates said problem though, just combining both functions into one unit is were problems occur. Also, call to arms and war stations are pretty centered around the base to use, preventing them from being used in a rush.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  2. Skycraft

Skycraft

Resources:
    Resources:
    It's great to see the exponential amount of people joining the contest since I last had a look.. which was whenever I last posted. :/
    Anyhoo, just wanted to say yes this is Skycraft I just got a name change.
    And I'm still working on the high elves with my great innovative units.

And for my progress..
    I've just finished with the upgrades and working on the actual abilities now.
    :3

3. Orcnet

Orcnet

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    why did you change your name into "Mah Dawg"? :)

4. Narogog

Narogog

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    i'm in am working on a sword of truth race

5. The World Is Flat

The World Is Flat

Resources:
    Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Its the same as the undead, 3 standard harvesters, one warrior.

The worker is NOT a melee unit, the baseline warrior BUILDS, but does not harvest, whereas harvesters must be produced to actually train an army, gain the resources, they just don't build or repair.

on a side note: i'm probably not doing this contest anyway, but if i have time.

6. Dionesiist

Dionesiist

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Alright I'm calling this done.

The Cabal

Units
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Heroes
    [​IMG]

Buildings
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Generally,
    - Unsummoned act both as the Builder unit and a weak Healer.
    - Phaselings gather resources and via upgrades can become various types of units.
    + Hellgaolers [and Infernal Knights] are your basic melee unit. They're good at killing stuff.
    + Familiars are basic ranged units.
    + Painmeddlers are offensive spellcasters, who can slow, poison and transform enemies into Phaselings.
    + Eidolons can remove buffs and grant a regeneration rate bonus.
    - Phasebats are anti-air flying units, having the advantage of Chaos attacks.
    + Overfiends are Tier 3 flying units.
    - Colossi are siege units. They're now a Hellgaoler upgrade.

Heroes are incredibly lazy efforts, but generally,
    - The Unborn excels at escaping combat.
    - The Paragon excels at dealing a lot of damage.

As for buildings,
    - Derelict > Reliquary > Stronghold
    - Soulhouse - food production building
    - Sheol Gateway - altar
    - Dark Temple - basic troop 'production' building.
    - Athanor - unit upgrades. Note that demons can't increase their armor, instead they get a health increase research.
    - Decrepit Altar - produces Phasebats, contains upgrades for Overfiends and Colossi.
    - Infernal Crucible - allows the production of Infernal Knights
    - Defiler's Bastion - spellcaster 'production' building

EDIT: Changes:
    - Added summoning time for units, the weaker the unit, the faster it summons.
    - Units now cost some gold to summon.
    - Colossi are now a Hellgaoler based upgrade, like the Infernal Knights, to keep in touch with the rest of the race.
    - Only one hero so far, The Paragon, with more thought put into spells. Still a melee oriented hero.
    EDIT 2: Changed [reduced] unit costs and also summon time.
    EDIT 3: Changes:
    - Fixed a couple of upgrades (Infernal Knight and Colossus).
    - Changed the Unsummoned's healing ability.

Anyway, if I don't update this further, consider it my final entry.

Uh, credits I guess
    Well, thanks to Vengeancekael for helping me set up the selection trigger. Otherwise, I dunno. Models are mine.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  7. Ketsuno Anson

Ketsuno Anson

Resources:
    Resources:
    The buildings look like undead's alot D:

8. Dionesiist

Dionesiist

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    ... they are undead's...

9. Bugz

Bugz

Resources:
    Maps:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    You sir got my vote, looks very good. Remember to upload the models after :eek:

10. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    votes based off of ass-thetics or gay-play?

models look impressive, hopefully the gameplay will be just as impressive ;)

incidentally, you still have till september to edit your race anyway you want, do not forget this

which reminds me, i should probably do some stuff on my race and junk

still need 2 more hero concepts, if indeed i can be bothered making 4

11. boomwolf

boomwolf

Resources:
    Resources:
    I may or may not finish my race in time.

Concept-elementals! Now with unit screenshot (WIP?)

No, the names are right, except incinerator, that's a mix up.
    Picture link, cuz upload seems not to work:
    http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/4018/armyer.png
    Minor edit note-out of me considering again how things look the Rocker/Smoker got larger, while the Blazer got smaller. But no point uploading a new picture over that.
    New edit note: Coral Knight replaced with Frostling, a true tier 3 caster. (and perhaps the highest potential unit in WC3 so far, despite being fair in relatively easy to kill for a tier 3.)

Unit's short description

Neutral:
    Spirit-worker unit.

Water:
    Waterguard-Tier 1 support caster, can be upgraded to Coastguard (tier 2) to improve HP and armor. also amphibious, not doing much on THIS map, but as it is an army it might matter in other theoretical maps.
    Sludger-Tier 2 disturbance caster, can be upgraded to Slugger (tier 3) to gain new abilities.
    Frostling-Tier 3 combat caster, true elite unit, capable of casting Frost Shard and Avalanche.

Earth:
    Stoner-Tier 1 basic melee unit.
    Rocker-Tier 2 heavy melee unit, can be upgraded to Smoker (tier 3) to gain permanent immolation, and attack bonuses.

Fire:
    Blazer-Tier 1 ranged unit.
    Incinerator-Tier 2 siege unit, can research flight to allow air form (air form cant attack, but much faster.)

Air:
    Stinger-Tier 1 scout/anti-air unit. (ground unit melee at air units, that's a new one right?)
    Shadowind-Tier 2 skrimish-type air unit.

Unique upgrade style:
    In this army, upgrades to units are not gained from the same element that makes them, instead Air upgrades Fire, who upgrades Earth, who upgrades Water, who upgrades Air.
    Generic upgrades are still being managed by non-elemental structures.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  12. DonDustin

DonDustin

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    just got an idea for a race, but I don't think that I could finish it in time anyways, because it would require quite a few models to be created and I cannot finsih 1 model 1 2 weeks :D

instead I'll just follow the contest for its last 2 weeks and wish everybody good luck.

Oh and I really like your race Dio, but the transforming seems a bit imbalanced as the units just require the upgrade but dont require any gld or lumber besides the phaseling one :/ and you could also need a ranged hero :p

13. ashbringer753

ashbringer753

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:

they look more like blood elves actually

14. Skycraft

Skycraft

Resources:
    Resources:
    Blood Elves are a faction of High Elves. :3
    They just split off to get magic.

Not really much different.
    Unless of course, my intellect proves to me once again that I am in fact an idiot.
    I don't really look that much into the lore.

15. ashbringer753

ashbringer753

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    try it ingame, screenshots mean nothing. There are absolutely no triggered spells in the map. The race wouldn't be good without the custom models IMO.

MADAWC, there is a graphical modification between them, high elven main colors are white and blue. While blood elven colors are red and gold. High elves use arcane magic, blood elves demonic magic.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  16. Skycraft

Skycraft

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yes and there is a graphical modification between skeletons and zombies.
    Skeletons have no skin, zombies have rotted skin and yet they both fit in the same race.
    So there is no reason why I cannot have both.

:3

17. boomwolf

boomwolf

Resources:
    Resources:
    Point goes to Madawc.

Anyway, slight rules question:
    You said the "four melee races" cannot be edited, what about units outside of them?

For example, am I allowed to remove the Firelord from the tavern (obvious reasons, I want to use him as the fire hero, heavly modified to fit a new role, new mechanics, new abilities and new attributes, but I still plan on using both him and the lava spawn, so having a firelord tavern hero and a firelord elemental hero both could be retarding...)

18. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    i honestly don't understand why you wouldn't just create new units tbh
    use of custom units is infinitely easier than dealing with editing the currently existing units

19. boomwolf

boomwolf

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm not dealing with existing units, but with the models of existing units.

My version of the Firelord is completely different (his "class" is actually "Phoenix", not "Firelord", problem is having both a "Phoenix" and a "Firelord", especially for the same player (or even if it's just questionable who of them you got) is HIGHLY problametic for me, because:
    A-they both look the same.
    B-they both use the "Lava Spawn" model with an ability (although the Phoenix uses it for what is probably the most fucked-up ulti ever, but you get the problem.)

20. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    yea you'd be allowed to use those models, definitely
    in fact, i do believe that the models of the 4 melee races would be allowed, persay, just not the unit themselves (which would kind of make the models pointless for use anyway, especially seeing as how we're allowed to import any amount of units as it is)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.